Using VPN to Speedup Your Internet International Speed

Pib

Now if you look at your Network Connections you'll see when you install the PureVPN app it creates a network connection in your Windows Network menu called PureVPN. And even though you may set Google DNS or OpenDNS in your browser/basic computer DNS server settings apparently the VPN may ignore that unless you put those DNS entries into the specific PureVPN network connection. When I entered the Google DNS into the specific PureVPN Network Connection the app could now make PPTP/L2TP VPN connections to Singapore.

I didn't install the app. I created the connection manually via Network Connections by right-clicking on the network icon in the system tray. Then later, I clicked on the manually-created "PureVPN (SIN)" connection I had created to enter the Google DNS servers.

Beginners luck. biggrin.png

PS: Is there any reason to install the app? What functionality does it add?

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now if you look at your Network Connections you'll see when you install the PureVPN app it creates a network connection in your Windows Network menu called PureVPN. And even though you may set Google DNS or OpenDNS in your browser/basic computer DNS server settings apparently the VPN may ignore that unless you put those DNS entries into the specific PureVPN network connection. When I entered the Google DNS into the specific PureVPN Network Connection the app could now make PPTP/L2TP VPN connections to Singapore.

I didn't install the app. I created the connection manually via Network Connections by right-clicking on the network icon in the system tray. Then later, I clicked on the manually-created "PureVPN (SIN)" connection I had created to enter the Google DNS servers.

You would be able to use OpenVPN and switch around to different VPN servers all over Earth more quickly than setting up a truckload of manual connections. But I expect switching around to servers in all 24 time zones provides little benefits other than playing around with VPN connection to different points on Earth. The OpenVPN might come in handy to get the best possible encryption as supposedly it has a hair-better encryption than L2TP. But for me, I'm not using the VPN due to privacy concerns, I'm using it to get better international speed. The PureVPN App is really more of an ease of use thing as I expect many folks would struggle in setting up a manual Windows connection although it's very easy (as you know) and all VPN providers provide instructions on how to do it.

For me all I really want/need is a couple VPN connections like to Singapore...or with some more testing Kuala Lumpar that may be just as fine and just as fast and I'm not having this DNS issue with Kuala Lumpur...need some more testing to confirm. And I need a VPN connection to the U.S. West Coast so I can get a U.S. IP address when needed. I can do that just by setting up a couple of manual connections for PPTP/LG2P/SSTP....no need for an app unless wanting to use OpenVPN.

Question: when you change you DNS settings to Google DNSs did you do that in the VPN manual connection setting? Or did you do it where what I will call your Wifi adapter/computer ethernet adapter...some people might describe this way as through their browser settings since I expect a lot change the DNS settings that way.

This Monday morning I can make PPTP/L2TP VPN connections to PureVPN Singapore serves if using Google DNS....but revert back to my ISP's (True) DNS servers and I can't. So it seems to be a DNS issue...probably with True my ISP.

I still can not make an OpenVPN connection to Singapore using the Pure App...but I can make OpenVPN connection to other locations using the app. Now the Pure app apparently uses a Windows Tap Ver 9 connection in your Windows Network Adapters....that Tap 9 adapter is installed when installing the PureApp...uninstall the App and the Tap V9 adapter is also removed. So, I go into that Tap 9 adapter and change its DNS settings to Google DNS...try making an OpenVPN connection again using the Pure App..still no can do. I'll play with it more today. But the problem seems to be DNS related....and if its a True DNS problem I may not be able to do anything since I've already tried Google DNS when attempting to connection to Singapore with OpenVPN....will just have to wait for True to clear up the issue.

By the way, when using the PureVPN "Android" app which only uses OpenV on my tablet I can not make a connection to Singapore either....but I can to other places. Now with Android unless your device is rooted you can not easily change its basic DNS settings like you can for Windows for your basic connection which Pure app uses. But you can with the manual PPTP/L2TP VPN connections you can setup in Android to make your PPTP/L2TP VPN connection without the need for the App. I can connect to Singapore using PPTP/L2TP on my Android when setting that manual setup connection with Google DNS.

Enough DNS talk for now...I'm even confusing myself not that I really understand it to begin with. On a scale from 1 to 10 with 1 being a dumbie and 10 being expert, I'm probably a 2 when it comes to DNS magic.

@Pib would you mind doing a speedtest from an android device with pure vpn to Los Angeles using testmy.net?

I got very good speeds on my AIS Fibre using windows, but never anything over 3 mbit download on Android.

Thanks

@Pib would you mind doing a speedtest from an android device with pure vpn to Los Angeles using testmy.net?

I got very good speeds on my AIS Fibre using windows, but never anything over 3 mbit download on Android.

Thanks

Sure...I just used the PureVPN app (which only uses OpenVPN) on my Lenovo tablet running Android KitKat. I did a testmy.net Combined test to the testmy.net LA speedtest server. However, even when using the PureVPN app to specifically connect me to their LA VPN server it would continue on and make the connection and say I have a connection to the U.S., but when I do an IP check to confirm the connection is to LA instead it reports the connection is to Georgia (probably Atlanta). I'll try setting up a Manual VPN PPTP connection specifically using their California server address a little later and report back.

But when running the testmy.net test as defined above I got a 10.1Mb download and 0.45Mb upload results on my True 15Mb down / 1.5Mb up DOCSIS/cable plan.

What VPN provider do you use?

Edit: it must be too early in the morning as I forgot I've already got a manual PureVPN PPTP connection already setup to LA...and making the manual connection specifically pointing to their LA server gets me a LA VPN connection. And I did an IP check to confirm it was indeed at LA. I ran the testmy.net Combined test again with their speed test server location set to LA. Results were: 18.1Mb down and 0.95Mb up.

So it looks like on this fine Monday morning at around 9:20am a PureVPN connection to LA (west coast) gives me 18.1Mb down and a PureVPN connection to Georgia (probably Atlanta) in the Eastern Time zone gives me 10.1Mb down.

And one more tidbit of info for comparison purposes. I disconnect from the PureVPN connection to LA and then give my other VPN service provider, StrongVPN, a test to their San Francisco server which I have manually setup in my Android. Set the testmy.net location to SF and then ran the Combined test...results where 4.6Mb down /1.3Mb up. Now LA and SF are both on the west coast and a person gets very similar non-VPN speeds to both based on my experience....so I expect the speed different is because the PureVPN servers are faster than StrongVPN servers. That's one reason I'm not renewing with StrongVPN come Aug 16 when my subscription ends...the other reason is PureVPN is significantly cheaper.

For maximum speed, better privacy and static IP address, consider 5 usd digitalocean VPS for vpn and proxy.

Besides, you can share it with your friends here in Thailand too (then price will be cheaper)

But correct me if I'm wrong, but basically you would always have a Singapore IP address that way. If you needed say a U.S., U.K., Germany, just anywhere else IP address say to reach some website, view content limited to that country/region like some TV shows/movies, etc., you would still need a VPN service to get that IP address which means you would still need a VPN service. Right?

That is correct. But if you don't need US IP (netflix blocks most of the proxies and vpns now) and you only need faster connection for downloading, browsing stuff, or to bypass True's transparent http proxy, this is the best way.

When you buy a vpn service with servers shared with other customers, you can not always get maximum speed. Also, most vpn providers don't offer http/https proxy.

For example, on Sunday, I noticed 3BB throttling against singapore. With singapore vpn, my download was capped at 1.5 mbyte/sec. Without vpn, but with proxy (SG) I get 2-2.5 mbyte/sec.

So yes, 3BB does throttle VPNs on Sundays (busy day!) a bit more. Today I'm getting 7000 kbyte/sec with proxy download (no overhead of openvpn so faster) which is maximum of my line can deliver locally in Thailand (55-56 mbit/s)

When you use your own vpn, you also get static IP address (not shared IP). Besides, you can get US vps for usd 1 or usd 2 per month (or lower) if you really need US IP aswell.

But if you don't need US IP (netflix blocks most of the proxies and vpns now) and you only need faster connection for downloading, browsing stuff, or to bypass True's transparent http proxy, this is the best way.

Was watching House of Cards last night.

Great series. Too bad it's not available locally.

But fortunately, it is available in the U.S. smile.png

Thanks

Sure...I just used the PureVPN app (which only uses OpenVPN) on my Lenovo tablet running Android KitKat. I did a testmy.net Combined test to the testmy.net LA speedtest server. However, even when using the PureVPN app to specifically connect me to their LA VPN server it would continue on and make the connection and say I have a connection to the U.S., but when I do an IP check to confirm the connection is to LA instead it reports the connection is to Georgia (probably Atlanta). I'll try setting up a Manual VPN PPTP connection specifically using their California server address a little later and report back.

But when running the testmy.net test as defined above I got a 10.1Mb download and 0.45Mb upload results on my True 15Mb down / 1.5Mb up DOCSIS/cable plan.

What VPN provider do you use?

Edit: it must be too early in the morning as I forgot I've already got a manual PureVPN PPTP connection already setup to LA...and making the manual connection specifically pointing to their LA server gets me a LA VPN connection. And I did an IP check to confirm it was indeed at LA. I ran the testmy.net Combined test again with their speed test server location set to LA. Results were: 18.1Mb down and 0.95Mb up.

So it looks like on this fine Monday morning at around 9:20am a PureVPN connection to LA (west coast) gives me 18.1Mb down and a PureVPN connection to Georgia (probably Atlanta) in the Eastern Time zone gives me 10.1Mb down.

And one more tidbit of info for comparison purposes. I disconnect from the PureVPN connection to LA and then give my other VPN service provider, StrongVPN, a test to their San Francisco server which I have manually setup in my Android. Set the testmy.net location to SF and then ran the Combined test...results where 4.6Mb down /1.3Mb up. Now LA and SF are both on the west coast and a person gets very similar non-VPN speeds to both based on my experience....so I expect the speed different is because the PureVPN servers are faster than StrongVPN servers. That's one reason I'm not renewing with StrongVPN come Aug 16 when my subscription ends...the other reason is PureVPN is significantly cheaper.

Thanks Pib

I was trying PureVPN and whilst my AIS connection (without VPN) gives me around 18 mbit download to LA on a 20/7 package measured with testmy.net I couldn't get more than around 3 mbit on my android devices. Using PureVPN on Windows I got a little less speed to LA, but nothing really shocking. Quite acceptable.

I had quite a long online chat with their support and it was mostly cut and paste answers to my question and no resolution.

I canceled after two days since I really need my speed on my Android box. (Streaming live sports). Without VPN my Android devices have approximately the same speed as my Win 10 computer.post-22270-0-23487400-1467012503_thumb.p

I really don't know what I was doing wrong.

I have a router from AIS (Huawei) and that one is connected to an ASUS N55U for the Wifi. When the AIS guys set it up they did something with the Huawei to get it to talk to the ASUS, because the 20/7 package doesn't, for some strange reason ) allow Bridge mode. The connection between the Huawei and the ASUS is is from one LAN port to another. Not to the blue port on the ASUS.

If you have any ideas I would be really grateful.

post-22270-0-23487400-1467012503_thumb.p

You would be able to use OpenVPN and switch around to different VPN servers all over Earth more quickly than setting up a truckload of manual connections.** But I expect switching around to servers in all 24 time zones provides little benefits other than playing around with VPN connection to different points on Earth. The OpenVPN might come in handy to get the best possible encryption as supposedly it has a hair-better encryption than L2TP. But for me, I'm not using the VPN due to privacy concerns, I'm using it to get better international speed. The PureVPN App is really more of an ease of use thing as I expect many folks would struggle in setting up a manual Windows connection although it's very easy (as you know) and all VPN providers provide instructions on how to do it.

For me all I really want/need is a couple VPN connections like to Singapore...or with some more testing Kuala Lumpar that may be just as fine and just as fast and I'm not having this DNS issue with Kuala Lumpur...need some more testing to confirm. And I need a VPN connection to the U.S. West Coast so I can get a U.S. IP address when needed. I can do that just by setting up a couple of manual connections for PPTP/LG2P/SSTP....no need for an app unless wanting to use OpenVPN.

Question: when you change you DNS settings to Google DNSs did you do that in the VPN manual connection setting? Or did you do it where what I will call your Wifi adapter/computer ethernet adapter...some people might describe this way as through their browser settings since I expect a lot change the DNS settings that way.***

This Monday morning I can make PPTP/L2TP VPN connections to PureVPN Singapore serves if using Google DNS....but revert back to my ISP's (True) DNS servers and I can't. So it seems to be a DNS issue...probably with True my ISP.

I still can not make an OpenVPN connection to Singapore using the Pure App...but I can make OpenVPN connection to other locations using the app. Now the Pure app apparently uses a Windows Tap Ver 9 connection in your Windows Network Adapters....that Tap 9 adapter is installed when installing the PureApp...uninstall the App and the Tap V9 adapter is also removed. So, I go into that Tap 9 adapter and change its DNS settings to Google DNS...try making an OpenVPN connection again using the Pure App..still no can do. I'll play with it more today. But the problem seems to be DNS related....and if its a True DNS problem I may not be able to do anything since I've already tried Google DNS when attempting to connection to Singapore with OpenVPN....will just have to wait for True to clear up the issue.

By the way, when using the PureVPN "Android" app which only uses OpenV on my tablet I can not make a connection to Singapore either....but I can to other places. Now with Android unless your device is rooted you can not easily change its basic DNS settings like you can for Windows for your basic connection which Pure app uses. But you can with the manual PPTP/L2TP VPN connections you can setup in Android to make your PPTP/L2TP VPN connection without the need for the App. I can connect to Singapore using PPTP/L2TP on my Android when setting that manual setup connection with Google DNS.

Enough DNS talk for now...I'm even confusing myself not that I really understand it to begin with. On a scale from 1 to 10 with 1 being a dumbie and 10 being expert, I'm probably a 2 when it comes to DNS magic.

The forum is going wonky now with the quotes, so hope this posts correctly and is easy to follow:

** That's a good point. Sometimes I will want a US IP address for banking, but thought I would just make a second VPN entry manually via Network Center. However, using the app I could randomly choose different cities, e.g. if Los Angeles was slow (or down), I could try another city easily.

*** I did it directly to the Properties for the PureVPN connection:

• <right-click> on network icon in system tray by the clock
  • "Open Network and Sharing Center"
  • click on "PureVPN (SIN)"
  • click on Properties, etc.

The DNS Servers are still set for Automatic for my WiFi connection, i.e. use True DNS.

I downloaded the app on my old iPhone 4, and it doesn't work. Just hangs at the opening screen. App Store description says "requires iOS 7" and my phone has iOS 7.1.2. My fancy Sony Android had (another) meltdown and is awaiting another visit to the Sony Service Center. I have an iPhone SE reserved at the local AIS shop, and in a day or two when my phone number is MNP'd over from True, I will try the Pure VPN app on it.

I'm not so concerned with security either, and have been using PPTP on Strong VPN for a few years. I plan to just keep using PPTP, unless you find some earth-shaking benefit to switch to a different protocol.

But if you don't need US IP (netflix blocks most of the proxies and vpns now) and you only need faster connection for downloading, browsing stuff, or to bypass True's transparent http proxy, this is the best way.

House of Cards is available locally on TrueVision...I have the Platinum package and I see it occasionally as I'm pretty much just a channel surfer going from this show to that show, that movie to this movie, watching CNN, BBC, CNBC, and Bloomberg...and of course the various documentaries, the History Channel, etc...etc...etc. Now I don't know how current each House of Cards show is.

Around 1pm today I decided to give the AIS Call Center another call about do they have AIS Fibre to my western Bangkok moobaan especially since a contractor 6 to 12 months ago who was installing fibre around the moobaan said they were installing it for AIS. But it never looked like they finished stringing the trunk line around the mooboon based on my observations over the last two days of taking a closer look at what they installed...plus there have been no posters put up in the moobaan or setting up a signup booth at the clubhouse like True DOCSIS did when they installed their system back on 2011. Maybe I'm wrong to assume AIS would put up posters and signup booths to get ever one's attention AIS Fibre is now available in my moobaan.

I looked at their online coverage area and it wasn't clear if coverage existed in my area or not. Earlier around two weeks ago I talked to the AIS call center and they said it doesn't appear the have fibre internet in my moobaan. Today just for grins I called again and got another rep...after about 5 minutes of him looking up my address in relation to AIS Fibre coverage he said it appears they do have fibre in my moobaan....up to 50Mb/10Mb. He recommended I go to a AIS Service Center to signup. Around 2:30pm I went to the AIS Service Center in the Bankkhai Mall and once again after talking to them for 10 minutes and them looking up stuff they said it appears AIS does have fibre available in my moobaan now.

I went ahead and signed up for their 50Mb/10Mb PowerHome plan which is Bt888/mo (not inc 7% VAT) or Bt799 (a 10% discount) if you are already an AIS customer which I wasn't....it also includes their AIS TV package of 100 channels or so with a little setup top box...I could care less about that TV...but it don't cost anything extra. And for the first 3 months I get a 50% discount on the plan so it will only cost me Bt444/mo and then it goes to the regular Bt888/mo. The installation is suppose to be totally free, with the router and TV box included for free. I didn't pay anything today...they said I would just need to pay Bt503 on installation day which is basically the first month's payment with some prorated, partial month portion also...the first month's bill is routinely screwy when signing up for new plans.

I was expecting they might want a year's worth of payments upfront since I'm a handsome farang but they didn't. I was prepared to then say OK I have the Thai wife signup for the plan to avoid that upfront payment. However, they didn't go down that 12 month upfront payment road...they only needed the copy of the first page of my passport.

The installation is scheduled for this coming Friday morning. I will say I will believe when I see it because I've seen too many posts over the years when someone signed up for a internet plan but when the installers got the work ticket they told customer service and the customer it can't be installed because it "not" in the coverage area, just a little too far from the coverage area, etc. Yeap, I'll believe it when I see it. Will update as the story continues.

This morning I still couldn't get an PureVPN OpenVPN connection to Singapore apparently because of a DNS issue which I was guessing a True DNS issue....then again, maybe it was a PureVPN issue. Anyway, was out of the house most of they day doing stuff like signing up for AIS Fibre, but at 7:00pm tonight I tired making a OpenVPN connection to PureVPN's Singapore server and it worked....using that connection right now for this post. Guess whatever the DNS issue was it got fixed.

Here's the testmy.net speedtest results at around 7pm using OpenVPN-UDP to Singapore on my True 15Mb DOCSIS plan.

post-55970-0-11861800-1467031959_thumb.j

House of Cards is available locally on TrueVision...I have the Platinum package and I see it occasionally as I'm pretty much just a channel surfer going from this show to that show, that movie to this movie, watching CNN, BBC, CNBC, and Bloomberg...and of course the various documentaries, the History Channel, etc...etc...etc. Now I don't know how current each House of Cards show is.

Ya, I was referring to the show's unavailability on the local/Thai version of Netflix for streaming -- not whatever TrueVisions may offer.

I was expecting they might want a year's worth of payments upfront since I'm a handsome farang but they didn't. I was prepared to then say OK I have the Thai wife signup for the plan to avoid that upfront payment. However, they didn't go down that 12 month upfront payment road...they only needed the copy of the first page of my passport.

That's good news re AIS Fibre and their signup process for farangs.

I don't have many gripes about 3BB's actual service thus far, but one I do have is their odious requirement that any new farang customer signing up for their fiber service is required to pay a year in advance -- whereas Thais only have to pay for one month.

Of course, those married to Thais can avoid this by having the Thai wife or husband be the account-holder. But really, 3BB shouldn't have that kind of discriminatory, double-standard.

Well, you and I know farangs can't be trusted with money...best to relieve them of as much of it as possible right upfront. tongue.png

Regarding my ability to make a PureVPN "OpenVPN" connection Sunday evening through Monday morning as discussed earlier and as also mentioned earlier how the problem (probably a True (my ISP) or Pure DNS issue) went away by Monday afternoon, on this fine Tuesday morning it's still working fine.

So, for FYI, I did some speed tests using the Testmy.net Combined test with a Singapore OpenVPN-UDP connection to various parts of the farang world. I changed/tested to the following locations: Singapore, LA, NY, London, Frankfurt, and Sydney by changing the Testmy.net speedtest testing server. And just to repeat I never changed the Singapore VPN connection when testing to those various locations...I just let that Singapore VPN connection be the middleman to reach out to the rest of the world with my lowerly True DOCSIS/cable 15 Mb down / 1.5Mb plan up. Note: Your Results May Vary.

Singapore

post-55970-0-40550500-1467075590_thumb.j

LA

post-55970-0-92671900-1467075623_thumb.j

NY

post-55970-0-07201300-1467075715_thumb.j

London (had a hard time reaching London as the EU was attempting to block the connection...just kidding)

post-55970-0-07162900-1467075737_thumb.j

Frankfurt

post-55970-0-83329200-1467075907_thumb.j

Sydney

post-55970-0-63394500-1467075982_thumb.j

It's going to be interesting to see what kind of speeds you get on your Android devices.

If you mean when (if) I get AIS Fibre 50/10 like this coming Friday morning scheduled install date, yea, it will be interesting for both my Windows and Android devices.

But if you mean if I get above speeds on my Android devices right now with PureVPN and my current ISP of True, the answer is Yes.

Around 1pm today I decided to give the AIS Call Center another call about do they have AIS Fibre to my western Bangkok moobaan especially since a contractor 6 to 12 months ago who was installing fibre around the moobaan said they were installing it for AIS. But it never looked like they finished stringing the trunk line around the mooboon based on my observations over the last two days of taking a closer look at what they installed...plus there have been no posters put up in the moobaan or setting up a signup booth at the clubhouse like True DOCSIS did when they installed their system back on 2011. Maybe I'm wrong to assume AIS would put up posters and signup booths to get ever one's attention AIS Fibre is now available in my moobaan.

I looked at their online coverage area and it wasn't clear if coverage existed in my area or not. Earlier around two weeks ago I talked to the AIS call center and they said it doesn't appear the have fibre internet in my moobaan. Today just for grins I called again and got another rep...after about 5 minutes of him looking up my address in relation to AIS Fibre coverage he said it appears they do have fibre in my moobaan....up to 50Mb/10Mb. He recommended I go to a AIS Service Center to signup. Around 2:30pm I went to the AIS Service Center in the Bankkhai Mall and once again after talking to them for 10 minutes and them looking up stuff they said it appears AIS does have fibre available in my moobaan now.

I went ahead and signed up for their 50Mb/10Mb PowerHome plan which is Bt888/mo (not inc 7% VAT) or Bt799 (a 10% discount) if you are already an AIS customer which I wasn't....it also includes their AIS TV package of 100 channels or so with a little setup top box...I could care less about that TV...but it don't cost anything extra. And for the first 3 months I get a 50% discount on the plan so it will only cost me Bt444/mo and then it goes to the regular Bt888/mo. The installation is suppose to be totally free, with the router and TV box included for free. I didn't pay anything today...they said I would just need to pay Bt503 on installation day which is basically the first month's payment with some prorated, partial month portion also...the first month's bill is routinely screwy when signing up for new plans.

The installation is scheduled for this coming Friday morning. I will say I will believe when I see it because I've seen too many posts over the years when someone signed up for a internet plan but when the installers got the work ticket they told customer service and the customer it can't be installed because it "not" in the coverage area, just a little too far from the coverage area, etc. Yeap, I'll believe it when I see it. Will update as the story continues.

All that to just get away from True's DNS problem? (j/k!)

This morning I still couldn't get an PureVPN OpenVPN connection to Singapore apparently because of a DNS issue which I was guessing a True DNS issue....then again, maybe it was a PureVPN issue. Anyway, was out of the house most of they day doing stuff like signing up for AIS Fibre, but at 7:00pm tonight I tired making a OpenVPN connection to PureVPN's Singapore server and it worked....using that connection right now for this post. Guess whatever the DNS issue was it got fixed.

Here's the testmy.net speedtest results at around 7pm using OpenVPN-UDP to Singapore on my True 15Mb DOCSIS plan.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Yes, whatever was the problem, apparently has been resolved. I returned to the Properties of my Pure VPN PPTP connection and removed the Google DNS server addresses, returning it to Automatic, and everything works just fine, now.

Pib,

we are waiting test results from your new AIS 50/10 (with and without vpn)

Yes, you are, but the scheduled install is not until this coming Friday morning/1 July assuming I don't get a call before from AIS saying, Whoops your home is not in our coverage area after all or the installation in my moobaan they began 6-12 months ago is not complete enough to begin hooking up individual homes.

My home is approx 225 meters from the AIS trunk line and what may a junction box up on the pole...I've stepped it off twice. I was a little concerned that might be too far for a fibre run but after watching below Youtube video of an AIS Fibre install I'm not concerned about that anymore as the video showed the dbm lost per kilometer (really low) and the installation in this video was at least as far away as my home hookup would be. I do have one more concern as to if the final X-meters will be fibre or xDSL as the Fibre modem on display at the AIS Service Center didn't have a fibre input connector; instead it had a DSL input connector.

But hopefully it will turn out the fibre does run all the way to my house, will terminate in a special box on my house wall, then the final "few" meters will be a premade fibre cable. The video shows the final few meters from that special box to the router is a premanufactured fiber. Will just have to wait and see. Maybe the AIS Fibre router they had on display was a model meant for the last X-meters to be xDSL maybe used in highrises/condos where they may need to connect to the building's central wiring panel and they also have one with a Fibre input when fibre can be run all the way like to a detached home. I dunno, but I should know by midday Friday if the installation occurs as scheduled. If it does, I'll provide some speed test results Friday evening and/or during the weekend.

All that to just get away from True's DNS problem? (j/k!)

Yea, True finally drove me mad/to extreme action. laugh.png I'd been thinking/hoping AIS or 3BB would provide fiber service to my moobaan for the last year since it so much cheaper than True Fiber Cable Internet for plans above 30/3. The True price up to 30/3 is competitive/not too expensive but for 50Mb and up it's just way too expensive when compared to 3BB and AIS prices for similar speed plans...probably because True has a captive audience in many areas.

It's going to be interesting to see what kind of speeds you get on your Android devices.

If you mean when (if) I get AIS Fibre 50/10 like this coming Friday morning scheduled install date, yea, it will be interesting for both my Windows and Android devices.

But if you mean if I get above speeds on my Android devices right now with PureVPN and my current ISP of True, the answer is Yes.

That's right. I would like to see your speeds on Android using AIS Fibre and PureVPN, I never got the speed on Android to get to more than 3 mbit down.

That's right. I would like to see your speeds on Android using AIS Fibre and PureVPN, I never got the speed on Android to get to more than 3 mbit down.

I sure hope you changed the PureVPN Android App Protocol Setting from OpenVPN-TCP to OpenVPN-UDP.

I think (but not sure since I loaded the app weeks ago and don't use it that much) when initially loading the app it defaults to the TCP setting and due to the way TCP works in comparison to UDP the TCP protocol is almost always much slower on Android and Windows. Some deep, alcohol damaged memory cells are telling me I changed it from TCP to UDP after running a few speedtests and resulting in slower speed than what I expected...I changed it to UDP and things speeded up significantly. You can change the setting to always default to UDP. And with TCP the longer the distance between your location and the server/site you are connecting to somewhere on Earth the slower it gets due to the way TCP works with it's extra data packet validation method.

For example I fired-up the app on my Lenovo Android tablet and ran some Testmy.net Manual Download 12MB file size tests to the U.S. and Singapore from my Bangkok location with my lowly True 15Mb/1.5Mb plan....see below:

To US with U.S. OpenVPN-UDP: 10.1Mb

To US with U.S. OpenVPN-TCP: 1.6Mb (big slowdown due to the long distance between Thailand and U.S.)

To Singapore with Singapore OpenVPN-UDP: 17.5Mb

To Singapore with Singapore OpenVPN-TCP: 11.5Mb (much less slowdown due to shorter distance between Thailand and Singapore)

Notice how TCP gets much slower as the distance increases....the U.S. is half way around the world from Bangkok but Singapore is a lot, lot closer to Bangkok. TCP is fine for short distances if you want all that extra data verification but can get slow for long distances. Summary: use UDP.

Wouldn't it be funny that you cancelled the PureVPN subscription within the refund period but your slow speed was just a simple setting in the App. But if you did use the UDP Protocol setting then maybe it's just your particular Android device as OpenVPN is known to be picky in operating properly on some machines in comparison to not using an OpenVPN app and instead just setting up manual PPTP/L2TP Manual Connections in your operating system which is easy and quick to do in Windows and Android.

And just as info when using the app which really just noticed today since I really don't use the app as I just use a couple of Android Manual VPN-L2TP/PPTP connections to Singapore and the U.S. I have settup, I notice with the app using OpenVPN at the "initial" VPN connection is made it takes approx another 30 seconds to get an IP Address issued identifying the VPN server you are connected to which completes the connection 100%. Now when just watching your Android screen 30 seconds can seem like a lifetime and a person might think something was wrong in making the connection. When using Windows making an OpenVPN connection with their Windows app is much faster...like the IP Address is issued within 5 seconds of making the initial connection. And if "not" using the app on your Android or Windows machine and just making a manual PPTP/L2TP connection that all occurs within a few seconds. I guess OpenVPN just has more locks to unlock on a server door it's knocking on to make the VPN connection....and on some machines getting OpenVPN to work can be a pain since it requires a separate app usually provided by the VPN service provider and you just hope the provider's App and your machine get along. Whereas PPTP/L2TP is native/built-into Windows and Android which means no VPN provider's app to possibly cause compatibility/connection issues.

Below are the results of a 11am Testmy.net Download Manaul 12MB speedtest with a Singapore PureVPN OpenVPN-UDP connection and testing to the testmy.net Singapore speedtest server with my lowly True 15Mb plan. Using my Win 10 laptop with Wifi connection in my home. I tested with No VPN conection and With VPN connection. I did 5 tests on each one, threw out the highest and lowest readings for each, and then averaged the remaining 3 readings. I threw out the highest and lowest reading before averaging as I've noticed on some occasions the first speedtest you run to a particular location might be significantly higher than on retests...and then I just threw out the lowest reading since I threw out the highest reading.

No VPN With VPN

To Singapore Average: 5.3Mb 18.8Mb

Now time to go to the market for lunch as the morning corn flakes just didn't fill my stomach.

Archived