Non-Immigrant O-A Extension in Bangkok

Tuesday, I successfully extended my visa for my second year in Thailand (my first extension) at the Bangkok Immigration Division 1 office. I also requested, paid the fee, and received a multiple entry permit stamp. I arrived at 9:15 and departed at 4:15. A long day, but a successful one.

To meet the financial requirement, I used my bank book showing greater than 800,000 THB for the past few months, and the required letter from the bank confirming my account information. The only problem was the timing. I had my local bank branch write the account verification letter on Sunday (two days before going to immigration). I was informed that a bank transaction must be made on the day of application. The immigration officer instructed to me to go downstairs, to my bank, execute any transaction, and redo the bank letter. This took about 30 minutes. In the end, there was no problem, but I have the following question:

Do immigration requirements vary depending on the office location?

My understanding is that the Pattaya immigration office allows the letter and last transaction to be up to 5 days old. Overall, I found excellent information on this forum, and used that information to assemble the documents that I needed. I'm just curious if the requirements for Pattaya and Bangkok are different. Most of the forum's procedural information relating to immigration extensions seems to be associated with the Pattaya office (or possibly I need to improve my search skills).

Two other points: I was not asked for any documentation to verify my address (I rent a condo). Also, I was not asked to complete a form that ask about personal information (social media accounts, etc...). I've read that immigration has recently required both.

Sorry for the long read. I hope sharing this type of experience is helpful.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All & thanks in advance for any advice.

In July I'll need to go to Chang Wattana to get my 9th O-A extension. In past years I've submitted same documents each time without a problem.

Today I ran into another American who had gone to Nonthaburi Immigration to get his extension last week. Here are the difficulties he told me he had at Immigration: he had the notarized letter of income from US Embassy. Nonthaburi told him he'd need to go to Chang Wattana - Documents Verification and have that office notarize the Embassy form - which he did @ 400 baht. Back at Nonthaburi, the officer told him they no longer accepted a copy of his condo lease. They gave him a TM-30 (Notification from ... Owner ... of the Residence Where Alien Has Stayed) and told him to return with that form completed + a copy of his owner's ID card.)

I don't doubt this guy however there a couple of other threads here where the O-A extension has been received without these additional things. Anyone know anything about this???

In July I'll need to go to Chang Wattana to get my 9th O-A extension. In past years I've submitted same documents each time without a problem.

Today I ran into another American who had gone to Nonthaburi Immigration to get his extension last week. Here are the difficulties he told me he had at Immigration: he had the notarized letter of income from US Embassy. Nonthaburi told him he'd need to go to Chang Wattana - Documents Verification and have that office notarize the Embassy form - which he did @ 400 baht. Back at Nonthaburi, the officer told him they no longer accepted a copy of his condo lease. They gave him a TM-30 (Notification from ... Owner ... of the Residence Where Alien Has Stayed) and told him to return with that form completed + a copy of his owner's ID card.)

I don't doubt this guy however there a couple of other threads here where the O-A extension has been received without these additional things. Anyone know anything about this???

Posted on another thread. Several people in Hua Hin are reporting they had to take their income statements from their embassy, have them translated to Thai and then have them certified at Chaeng Wattana.

This, to me, makes no sense. Why even bother with the embassy if this is the case and not just have Chaeng Wattana verify income.

Or, more sensibly yet, have local immigration offices verify and notarize income statements.

• Like 1

Nothaburi immigration has been reported as wanting the consular officers signature confirmed by consular affairs department. That is not a requirement according to immigration policy. Just another rogue offce making up their own requirements. Perhaps because they are close to the government complex.

I am certain they will still want the lease agreement but have now added on the TM30 form ot the requirements.

The is no OA visa extension. You apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement.

• Like 1

Posted on another thread. Several people in Hua Hin are reporting they had to take their income statements from their embassy, have them translated to Thai and then have them certified at Chaeng Wattana.

This, to me, makes no sense. Why even bother with the embassy if this is the case and not just have Chaeng Wattana verify income.

Or, more sensibly yet, have local immigration offices verify and notarize income statements.

Your report about Hua Hin is the only one I have seen on this forum. Until I see a report from a person that was asked for it I will consider it hearsay. Info that is 2nd or 3rd hand is only rumor until it is confirmed.

It is the translation that would be certified by the consular affairs department of the MFA not the income. Just writing Chaeng Wattana leads people to think you referring to the immigration office there.

• Like 1