Teaching English In Chiang Mai

Wizzard of Oz

I'm thinking of teaching English here. Not really for the money though - would be nice to help people here out. I have no experience ... and would only be looking for part time. Can anyone recommend a school? Here is a list of schools, but I thought I might find out some good places that are recommended.

I also have the option of teaching as a volunteer, which might be better suited since money isn't really an issue. I have no idea where to look for them though, so if anyone can clue me in, that would help a lot.

On one last note, I'm not sure about the new visa rules. I don't know if I can hop to Panang to get a new visa after 3 months and come straight back, or if I need to stay out of Thailand for 3 months before re-entering. If anyone knows if I can come straight back, can you let me know. If I can't, then I wonder maybe getting a working visa through teaching English would be a good idea here?

Cheers,

WoZ

Hi Wizzard,

I know a lady that has single handedly set up a charity called Freedom House. It helps educate the Burmese Refugee children, and Hill tribe children.

She is a wonderful young lady, who I was fortunate enough to meet last month when I visited her school.

The kids are learning Thai initially (in the case of the burmese), and are then moving onto English. I KNOW she would benefit greatly from any help.

Let me know if you want further details?

Thanks

Phil

Hi Wizzard,

I know a lady that has single handedly set up a charity called Freedom House. It helps educate the Burmese Refugee children, and Hill tribe children.

She is a wonderful young lady, who I was fortunate enough to meet last month when I visited her school.

The kids are learning Thai initially (in the case of the burmese), and are then moving onto English. I KNOW she would benefit greatly from any help.

Let me know if you want further details?

Thanks

Phil

Not to throw water on your parade, buttttttt....... I seem to remember that if you are teaching or doing any other type or work endeavor, whether or not you are getting paid, you may find you need a work permit....

I think the tsunami volunteers ran into this problem aslo.....

Work permit would require a Non Imm Visa

Non Imm Visa requires a sponsor letter , among other things

To get a Non Imm Visa you have to go to a Thai Embassy or Consulate which of course is out of the country.

I would think this very rare to find a sponsor solely for a volunteer basis....

Others who may know more should verify or correct this opinion

gonzo

Thanks for the responses.

A little disappointing regarding the difficulties, but oh well.

KhunLing, I will contact them about the volunteer work. Thanks for the link

On a mostly unrelated note, I don't really get why they want to put in free wi-fi ... no underprivileged Thai kids could possibly make use of it as far as I can imagine ....

mallmagician, can you please PM me details.

Gonzo the Face, well if it's really such a problem, since I'd be unpaid I can always be off the books. Though it does seem absurd that volunteering would be a challenge due to bureaucracy .... tho I guess coming from western society, I can relate (unfortunantly)

Any other responses regarding volunteer work are very welcome.

Also, if anyone knows of a place that they are on good terms with that would like someone degree qualified and clean cut to teach part time (not in need of many hours at all), tho currently lacking experience in teaching english, please PM me.

Btw, does anyone know if I go to Panang to get a visa outside thailand, do I need to stay out of Thailand for 3 months before re-entering? I wasn't able to get a straight forward response here and I'm a little concerned of course.

Thanks again.

It is my understanding, although you should check in the Visa section of ThiaVisa, that you can Visa run for 3 months, then get a single entry for 90 days in Penang, then visa run for 3 months, then get a single entry for 90 days in Penang, then .....etc, etc.

Although, I don't do this. I would reccomend you check on the actual Visa forum section of this website.

With regards to the other info, I will PM that to you tomorrow, once I get a chance to dig out the details.

Thanks

Phil

Not to throw water on your parade, buttttttt....... I seem to remember that if you are teaching or doing any other type or work endeavor, whether or not you are getting paid, you may find you need a work permit

If volunteer work and not paid (as money does not seem to be an issue) if you work with a registered charity they can help you get a Non O and any other paperwork needed but you foot any costs - its not a way to sidestep visa laws as you need to be genuinely commited or you wont get the job and you will work full time

My wife has been trying to get jobs with charitys/aid organisations for the last few months and now she has got one all she needs to do is have her paperwork in order and she gets a more permanent visa

As I said its not to side step visa laws its something you actually would want to do

Edited by Remo