Sea gypsies sue Baron World Trade

webfact

Sea gypsies sue Baron World Trade
Phuket Gazette

pg1.jpeg
Clerks deliver the sea gypsies’ lawsuit to a Phuket court. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- More than 200 of Rawai’s sea gypsies are named as plaintiffs in a civil lawsuit against Baron World Trade Co Ltd, for allegedly blocking access to their sacred ceremonial grounds.

The lawsuit, which was filed June 13, calls for 500,000 baht in reparations to the community, and is the latest development in the ongoing land feud between the sea gypsies and land developer Baron World Trade.

Pasit Tavornlamlert, the lawyer representing the sea gypsies, told the Phuket Gazette that the lawsuit, led by Nuengruthai Raknawa, represented 203 sea gypsies in total.

“We went to the court on Monday and we are suing Baron for troubling the community by blocking their access to the traditional site, causing the sea gypsies bodily injury and negatively affecting their livelihoods as fishermen,” Mr Pasit said.

In February, Baron World Trade gave the sea gypsies 'temporary access' to the ceremonial grounds.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Sea-gypsies-sue-Baron-World-Trade/64077?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-06-17

“We went to the court on Monday and we are suing Baron for troubling the community by blocking their access to the traditional site, causing the sea gypsies bodily injury and negatively affecting their livelihoods as fishermen,” Mr Pasit said.

Odd. Why aren't they suing that their land is being taken illegally by Baron World Trade? The DSI agrees with the Sea Gypsies that the land is theirs...

Odd. Why aren't they suing that their land is being taken illegally by Baron World Trade? The DSI agrees with the Sea Gypsies that the land is theirs...

There's been a lot of confusion about exactly what land is in dispute. This has not been helped by shoddy and inaccurate reporting by some media.

The way I understand it, this Baron company is not trying to evict them from their 19 rai village site over which the Gypsies have longstanding and traditional rights.

Baron want to develop, and have documents stating they own, a neighboring larger site which was once another resort named Piscina. (There are allegations their titles for this land may be a bit dodgy)

It seems the gypsies have been overflowing into, and using, this land for recreational and fishing purposes, as well as for access to some sort of sacred site. This is, presumably, located somewhere near the Hedland. (Who owns this land would be another question altogether.)

Baron want to go ahead with their development even though DSI have stated there may be problems with titles, and the Sea Gypsies want to keep using the land for their purposes. They seem to have rejected offers and suggestions that they use a pathway along the shore front to get to the sacred site.

In my opinion, and I know many here strongly disagree, is that the Sea Gypsies believe they should be granted possession of all the beachside land between the pier and the Hedland, and that any development of neighboring land would prevent this happening. Also they could lose beach moorings for their fishing boats in front of the development.

The above is my opinion only, based on facts and reports I have read from many sources, and from personally driving completely around the village. Feel free to disagree or pick my arguments apart if you have thoughts on the subject. I will respond in kind to any personal attacks.

Having been there a few times I would ask why anyone would want to build , let alone stay in , any building next to the dump that is the gypsies villiage.

Im also of the belief that the local government offered to buy , at some stupidly inflated price , a buffer zone off Baron , but the villiagers refused ( why , I have no idea )