This gym in Thailand is staffed exclusively by transgender men

webfact

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At 77 and a grandfather,I reckon all this gender bending is just part of the current vogue for change. People are simply fed up with the old norms, be they social, political, cultural or sexual.

The symptoms are all around us - the revolt against multiculturalism and political correctness; the meteoric rise of Donald Trump and the rabid Right; Brits threatening a Brexit; and, of course, the fad for being transsexual.

I've long since learned you can't fight "progress". So either we get out of Europe or I'm off to Marks & Sparks for a frock and high heels.

See you in the gym.

To clarify, as so many are always confused about this.

A transgender male is a female that is transitioning or has transitioned to a male.

This is NOT the SAME thing as a lesbian.

This is NOT the SAME thing as a butch lesbian.

GENDER identification is not the same thing as sexual orientation.

I see it as discrimination as well. I guess you could also create a 'straight' gym and decline LBGT folks. It's true these folks have been discriminated against forever but is it right that they get some special privilege to do the same when the world is changing? I'd say it's probably the same with other victims of discrimination. Society seems to give them a free pass to discriminate. In Thailand it probably doesn't mean much since there is open discrimination in various forms. The two-tier pricing is one. The Japanese bars used to have signs on the door telling who was allowed inside. Overall I think this is a good thing for these folks. I wonder if this is what most trans people really want. It always seems acceptance as being a real woman or man was what was wanted rather than just being able to join a group of other trans people.

In Thailand, such discrimination is entirely legal.

You've seen the signs, Japanese Only.

When in Rome.

Their country, their rules, or lack thereof.

Just a matter of time before you turned up - the TV gay expert who bans everyone who disagrees with him.

This would make Obama proud!

It is true that President Obama has been the strongest major power leader supporter of LGBTQABCXYZDOREME whistling.gif civil rights in history. I'm not sure what he would say about the gym membership policies. They are separate questions.

It's true in most nations that have visible transgender people that transgender women are more visible than transgender men. I think it's usually a matter of relative numbers. Also homophobes / transphobes are much more often "disturbed" about gender and/or orientation NON-conforming males than females. It's well known a top fantasy of straight men is lesbian sex or threesomes with two women, etc..

The transgender man in the picture in the article is a very sexy MAN. wub.png

To add, a lot of very poorly informed people THINK they are seeing lots of transgender men in Thailand because they confuse butch lesbians with transgender men. Yes, lots of butch lesbians here and often they are very cute indeed (though wouldn't recommend calling them cute to their face, you may get SLAPPED). So that complicates the perception of how many transgender men there are. There aren't very many.

Edited by Jingthing

When in Rome.

Come on JT....you are normally level headed, but by jumping on the ''when in Rome'' train you're being hypocritical. So you're ok with gay people being imprisoned and/or killed in some countries, because I'm not. One can't be selectively offended: I'm offended by ALL discrimination. You?

When in Rome.

Come on JT....you are normally level headed, but by jumping on the ''when in Rome'' train you're being hypocritical. So you're ok with gay people being imprisoned and/or killed in some countries, because I'm not. One can't be selectively offended: I'm offended by ALL discrimination. You?
The ignore list feature is a way of discriminating so I suppose the honest answer is no. Gym membership policies aren't exactly on the same level as death penalties. Duh.

Pretty much everyone is hypocritical. It's the human condition. But again there are different levels of hypocrisy.

I suppose a factor in this is I can't imagine many people who don't fit their target would really want to go there. So I don't see the big harm.

Edited by Jingthing

I only need to know if it's safe to drop the soap in the shower there or not. Nothing else concerns me.

Well some trans men are into men but I doubt many are rapists.

Next ...

Yea never know. A good opportunity it would be. ;-)

This whole thing is a sickness that seems to affect a lot of people under 40 years of age. Is it a mental disease? Probably....but as long as they don't harm anyone else no-one will bother to do anything about it.

What causes it. Maybe something in amongst the chemical crap added to the food they eat. Maybe their vegetarian.....or even worse.....vegan!

Edited by BSJ

This whole thing is a sickness that seems to affect a lot of people under 40 years of age. Is it a mental disease? Probably....but as long as they don't harm anyone else no-one will bother to do anything about it.

What causes it. Maybe something in amongst the chemical crap added to the food they eat. Maybe their vegetarian.....or even worse.....vegan!

So you're suggesting homophobia and transphobia is a mental illness caused by tofu? whistling.gif

Yes, it is a mental disorder as it is in the DSM V

http://www.dsm5.org/documents/gender%20dysphoria%20fact%20sheet.pdf

Edited by Sawan Chan 7

Yes, it is a mental disorder as it is in the DSM V

Did anyone actually think they were normal?

They used to say similar things about homosexuality. In both cases, the truth is that they've always been around, but acceptance leads to increased visibility.

NOT a disorder.facepalm.gif

Duh!

Part of removing stigma is about choosing the right words. Replacing “disorder” with “dysphoria” in the diagnostic label is not only more appropriate and consistent with familiar clinical sexology terminology, it also removes the connotation that the patient is “disordered.” Ultimately, the changes regarding gender dysphoria in DSM-5 respect the individuals identified by offering a diagnostic name that is more appropriate to the symptoms and behaviors they experience without jeopardizing their access to effective treatment options.

Anyway, that's a U.S. source. Not informed about what's up with Thai psychiatry, and almost afraid to ask ...

Edited by Jingthing

Duh!

Part of removing stigma is about choosing the right words. Replacing disorder with dysphoria in the diagnostic label is not only more appropriate and consistent with familiar clinical sexology terminology, it also removes the connotation that the patient is disordered. Ultimately, the changes regarding gender dysphoria in DSM-5 respect the individuals identified by offering a diagnostic name that is more appropriate to the symptoms and behaviors they experience without jeopardizing their access to effective treatment options.

Anyway, that's a U.S. source. Not informed about what's up with Thai psychiatry, and almost afraid to ask ...
Duh, what does DSM stand for?

Duh!

Part of removing stigma is about choosing the right words. Replacing disorder with dysphoria in the diagnostic label is not only more appropriate and consistent with familiar clinical sexology terminology, it also removes the connotation that the patient is disordered. Ultimately, the changes regarding gender dysphoria in DSM-5 respect the individuals identified by offering a diagnostic name that is more appropriate to the symptoms and behaviors they experience without jeopardizing their access to effective treatment options.

............................,,.I can Google.

Can you Google?

It's usually faster to get your answers that way, and doesn't waste space on TV.

Try it. You'll like it.

post-108400-14662966567509_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fookhaht

After 14 years in Thailand I am pretty clued up on the endless

Thai men who want to be women for some reason. However I

am a bit confused at what I am looking at here. The photo is of

a somewhat effeminate man. So I am looking at a woman

who wants to be a man ?? Guess I am more used to tough

looking toms out with their cute dee girlfriends.. What the hell

is the difference between a tom and a transgender man ??

Sigh, I miss the good old days.......

Duh!

Can you Google?

It's usually faster to get your answers that way, and doesn't waste space on TV.

Try it. You'll like it.

ImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1466296653.070506.jpg

I was going to say nothing as you are probably American. Try googling sarcasm.

Did you really think I didn't know? Please answer honestly.

Duh!

It's a manual of mental disorders. I can't believe someone is trying to say that something in it is NOT a disorder. Jing Thing, get real, it is a mental disease/disorder/malady/affliction or are you saying that you know more than the top psychiatric doctors in the world?

Duh!

Can you Google?

Try it. You'll like it.

ImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1466296653.070506.jpg

I was going to say nothing as you are probably American. Try googling sarcasm.

Did you really think I didn't know? Please answer honestly.

Sarcasm without a detectible purpose is simply a poor/unskilled attempt at humor. FAIL.

More irrationally, is that you appear to be another one-track-mind American-basher. Amazing how they can work that into virtually any topic. Kudos.

Edited by Fookhaht