Water meter thefts on the rise

webfact

Water meter thefts on the rise
Phuket Gazette

wam.jpeg
PWA officials pose next to stolen water meters they have recovered. Photo: Phuket PR

PHUKET: -- The Provincial Waterworks Authority (PWA) is warning islanders of a growing rash of thefts of water meters across the province.

The thieves are most likely stealing the meters to sell them, or to exchange them with other meters and defraud the water authority, confirmed PWA Manager Pisak Chonlayut.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Water-meter-thefts-the-rise/64085?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-06-17

makes sense to me.... we more than halved our usage followed by our two biggest monthly bills! and when you try to find a leak or do the turn it off test, no proof and an unfair hole in the pocket

Why would thieves bother to steal water meters and swap them for meters with lower readings? Christ, my water bill only averages between 60 to 100 baht a month, hardly seems worth all the bother just to save a few baht on a one off.

Buying new from a store they usually cost between 370 up to 400 baht. so I suppose if the thieves stole a hundred meters and sold them for half price at 200 baht each, that brings in 20000 baht that does make this worthwhile. Our meter is located inside on the land so no one can steal ours.

I once saw a man trying to steal our gate. But I didn`t want to confront him in case he took offence.

• Haha 1

Why would thieves bother to steal water meters and swap them for meters with lower readings? Christ, my water bill only averages between 60 to 100 baht a month, hardly seems worth all the bother just to save a few baht on a one off.

Buying new from a store they usually cost between 370 up to 400 baht. so I suppose if the thieves stole a hundred meters and sold them for half price at 200 baht each, that brings in 20000 baht that does make this worthwhile. Our meter is located inside on the land so no one can steal ours.

I once saw a man trying to steal our gate. But I didn`t want to confront him in case he took offence.

They steal the meters for the copper content, that's why nowadays they make them mainly in some kind of plastics.

They steal the meters for the copper content, that's why nowadays they make them mainly in some kind of plastics.

The only copper parts I could see is the 2 short pipes and nuts that connects the meters to the main plastic pipes. Probably about 6 ins in total. Not sure what material is on the inside but it can`t be much they are only small things, just pressure gauges in fact. The thieves would have to steal thousands to gain enough copper to make it all worthwhile. Or maybe they are nicking thousands and why these water meters have made a big splash on the news. Who knows? Nothing surprises me anymore.