Sobering Truths in Thailand?

eldragon

What are some sobering truths about Thailand? Things we didn't realize or couldn't accept when we came here, but eventually accepted as fact?

I'll go first...

Toms pull way hotter girls than I ever will.

Sap = MSG.

People who live in homes surrounded by spiked fences probably don't feel as safe as we think they do.

That Thailand isn't nearly as nice and easy to live in when you need to work hard here to make a living as when you come here with your expat euros/dollars/pounds/whatever to spend.

Edited by Lannig

The most sobering truth is about the women. Most Thai women (the normal ones anyway) actually want a guy with some wit and charm, i.e., a personality. The caveat is if you have a great personality in English, Korean, French, Chinese, etc...but not Thai, well you really don't have a great personality. Which is to say being able to speak Thai is pretty darn important. This is why the Thai guys get the best Thai women. If you can't charm Thai women in their language, you'll be relegated to the ones who are dirt poor, older, single mom, uneducated, average looks....essentially, any gal who can't land a decent Thai guy.

Luckily for most farangs, there are plenty of these type of Thai women desperate to find someone who will "take care." And they're really just fine. Just don't complain about being an ATM.

The most sobering truth is about the women. Most Thai women (the normal ones anyway) actually want a guy with some wit and charm, i.e., a personality.

I always wanted a guy with wit and charm, but they always seemed broke, so I settled for a dull English husband with a lot of money.

I can't see Thai women being all that different.

The most sobering truth is about the women. Most Thai women (the normal ones anyway) actually want a guy with some wit and charm, i.e., a personality.

I always wanted a guy with wit and charm, but they always seemed broke, so I settled for a dull English husband with a lot of money.

Women who want a man with wit and charm don't drink in the same places I do...

Young Thai women want a guy with personality. Yes, some women actually still believe in love. But you're right, once they get older and realize that their options are dwindling, they become more practical.

The most sobering truth is about the women. Most Thai women (the normal ones anyway) actually want a guy with some wit and charm, i.e., a personality. The caveat is if you have a great personality in English, Korean, French, Chinese, etc...but not Thai, well you really don't have a great personality. Which is to say being able to speak Thai is pretty darn important. This is why the Thai guys get the best Thai women. If you can't charm Thai women in their language, you'll be relegated to the ones who are dirt poor, older, single mom, uneducated, average looks....essentially, any gal who can't land a decent Thai guy.

Luckily for most farangs, there are plenty of these type of Thai women desperate to find someone who will "take care." And they're really just fine. Just don't complain about being an ATM.

^Quite true but I think that goes for anywhere in the world No? I do not know if its sobering however. If you did not know that before coming to Thailand then you were not thinking.

I would agree, women love a man with a personality, humor and wit but for that to be effective you have to speak the native language or the gal speaks your native language. I get a chuckle when I hear a foreigner talking broken English to their gal some how hoping they understand them. I think that's more sobering then anything.

And most of the 'normal' Thai women are embarrassed to be seen talking to a westerner and probably think we're all scum.

^Quite true but I think that goes for anywhere in the world No? I do not know if its sobering however. If you did not know that before coming to Thailand then you were not thinking.

I would agree, women love a man with a personality, humor and wit but for that to be effective you have to speak the native language or the gal speaks your native language. I get a chuckle when I hear a foreigner talking broken English to their gal some how hoping they understand them. I think that's more sobering then anything.

It sounds like you agree....mostly. You are correct that most Thai women want what other women around the world want. But most farang guys don't get that. They visit the bars and hear girls say "I no like Thai man, I like farang" and they eat it all up, hook, line, and sinker. They don't get that it's all part of the sell. Thai girls must think that farang guys are the most gullible.

And most of the 'normal' Thai women are embarrassed to be seen talking to a westerner and probably think we're all scum.

Not sure I'd go that far, but the stigma is certainly still there.

Yeah maybe if more women

took more care of themselves,

they could get someone with

the lot, even into their 40s

and 50s. No excuse for men

getting out of shape either

Edited by YeahSiam

Yeah maybe if you'd taken

care of yourself, you'd have

been able to get someone

with the lot.

I was in quite good shape at the start, after a couple of babies, my life became eating. Same as almost everyone else I knew. Are you claiming all the English and Thai women you have met are different? Or even 10% of them?

I see your edit.

After age 35 it doesn't matter, 2 kids and we are already entitled to everything he owns.

Edited by MissAndry

Yeah maybe if you'd taken

care of yourself, you'd have

been able to get someone

with the lot.

I was in quite good shape at the start, after a couple of babies, my life became eating.

Same as almost everyone else I knew.

Are you claiming all the English and Thai women you have met are different?

Or even 10% of them?

Apologies, I modified my

post because it came

over as being personal

and that wasn't my intent.

Having kids is no excuse

to strap on a nosebag.

The women I know in

London took pride in

getting back in shape

after childbirth.

A woman can't pile on 30,

40 or 50 pounds then

complain her husband

doesn't want to bang her.

If he'd wanted a fat woman,

he'd have married one.

Same for guys - you can't

complain when a woman

makes excuses to not

shag you when you look

like a walking piece of

gristle

You cant eat rat.... actually quite tasty

Durian smells like S**T...... no it smells quite nice, they should make a perfume

Thais are always polite and smiling........sometimes, and only to your face

All Buddhists are calm and peaceful.... except in Pattaya

I dont see Thai women having enough curiosity to merit any kind of connection with a foreigner. I wouldnt even say that many of em seem connected with their Thai partners. Most of the Thai women I know prefer a guy that keeps his mouth shut and lets em do what they want. And theyre fairly unapologetic about putting financial security above all else. In fact, I was under the impression this is why there's so much infidelity here. One for commitment and several for fun. Id even go so far as to say Berks got it backwards, and the unwantables are the ones who eventually realize they have to develop a little personality if they want to find a decent guy.