Fresh report: SSA benefits application interview with SSA-Manila

How does the Direct Deposit work with SSA?

Do you have to submit an 1199A?

Or is there a way to designate a financial institution during the application process?

On SSA application you just enter the bank's routing number, your account number, and identify whether it's a checking or savings account.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got this in a SSA email this morning. Although I'm not drawing SS yet, I do have an account setup already....been using that to get my Social Security statement.

Appears starting Aug 16, in order to logon to your SS account you'll need to receive a text code to complete the logon. I haven't researched it, but it wouldn't surprise me if they would only send to a U.S. number. If so, hopefully my Google Voice number (a U.S. number) will work which I use with one of my U.S. bank to receive text codes for certain banking actions.

Starting in August 2016, Social Security is adding a new step to protect your privacy as a my Social Security user. This new requirement is the result of an executive order for federal agencies to provide more secure authentication for their online services. Any agency that provides online access to a customer’s personal information must use multifactor authentication.

When you sign in at ssa.gov/myaccount with your username and password, we will ask you to add your text-enabled cell phone number. The purpose of providing your cell phone number is that, each time you log in to your account with your username and password, we will send you a one-time security code you must also enter to log in successfully to your account.

Each time you sign into your account, you will complete two steps:

• Step 1: Enter your username and password.
  • Step 2: Enter the security code we text to your cell phone (cell phone provider's text message and data rates may apply).

The process of using a one-time security code in addition to a username and password is one form of “multifactor authentication,” which means we are using more than one method to make sure you are the actual owner of your account.

If you do not have a text-enabled cell phone or you do not wish to provide your cell phone number, you will not be able to access your my Social Security account.

If you are unable or choose not to use my Social Security, there are other ways you can contact us. To learn more, please review the Frequently Asked Questions found here.

Looks like it will end up like My Medicare, which you can't access unless you have a U.S. mailing address.

If they want to go to two-factor authorization, then they should provide the choice of getting the security code by email or by phone.

It may work with GV, although GV does not support all SCSMS.

GV, even if ported to Project Fi, is not a number/service associated with a "cell phone provider".

I would think that the SSA will have to accommodate foreign-based people, and be able to send SMSes to +66 N nnn-nnnn?

But one point I'm not clear on: does that special rule for foreign beneficiaries apply regardless how payment is made? I thought I once concluded that it certainly applied if you received payment overseas by check, maybe applied if you received payment to a foreign bank account, but perhaps didn't apply if you received payment to a U.S. account. But that's just a recollection. Anyone have first-hand experience with these three payment methods?

--------------------------------------

As I have said before my Social Security is paid monthly by a direct deposit straight to my Bangkok Bank account in Thailand.

The money is sent from the Social Security International office in Baltimore by a batch file transfer at midnight on the 3rd of each month.

I receive the funds on the 4th of each month at 12 noon here in Bangkok, as there is a 12 hour time difference between the east coast of the U.S.and Bangkok (due to the international date line).

All I have to do to get my money is to go to the nearest Bangkok Bank branch with my passbook and my passport (used for I.D. purposes).

The nearest Bangkok Bank branch office is less than 100 meters from where I live and there is a free tuk tuk service from this residence to that mall.

Even a 70 year old man with one bum leg can handle that.

How does the Direct Deposit work with SSA?

Do you have to submit an 1199A?

Or is there a way to designate a financial institution during the application process?

---------------------------

In the U.S you can designate a U.S bank at your initial retirement interview....in fact now they basically insist on it.

They will no longer mail checks to a mailing address for security reasons (theft from mailboxes).

Does Bangkok Bank charge the same fees as they do for an ACH?

http://www.bangkokbank.com/bangkokbank/personalbanking/dailybanking/transferingfunds/transferringintothailand/receivingfundsfromusa/pages/receivingfundsfromusa.aspx

$5 (up to $2,000) or $10 (more than $2,000) for NYC, then 0.25% (min: 200 baht/max: 500 baht) for BBL/Bkk

Do you have to go to your "home" branch (the branch where you opened your BBL account)?

http://www.bangkokbank.com/bangkokbank/personalbanking/dailybanking/transferingfunds/transferringintothailand/receivingfundsfromusa/pages/receivingfundsfromusa.aspx

$5 (up to $2,000) or $10 (more than $2,000) for NYC, then 0.25% (min: 200 baht/max: 500 baht) for BBL/Bkk

Do you have to go to your "home" branch (the branch where you opened your BBL account)?

Yes, those fees are applied. And the fees will not appear anywhere on your account as they are taken "before" posting to your account. This fools a lot of people into thinking no fees were applied, but they were indeed applied. That's why some people can never get the exchange rate they manually calculate to match any of the TT Buying Rates shown on the Bangkok Bank website. Easiest thing to do is to setup Bangkok Bank SMS Remittance Notification (it's free) which tells you the amount received (that amount will be lite the NY branch fee that has already been sliced off, the local fee, the exchange rate given, and the amount posted to your account on date/time XYZ.

Yes, you can go withdraw from/deposit to/transfer from the Direct Deposit account from any Bangkok Bank branch.

Yes, those fees are applied. And the fees will not appear anywhere on your account as they are taken "before" posting to your account. This fools a lot of people into thinking no fees were applied, but they were indeed applied. That's why some people can never get the exchange rate they manually calculate to match any of the TT Buying Rates shown on the Bangkok Bank website. Easiest thing to do is to setup Bangkok Bank SMS Remittance Notification (it's free) which tells you the amount received (that amount will be lite the NY branch fee that has already been sliced off, the local fee, the exchange rate given, and the amount posted to your account on date/time XYZ.

Yes, you can go withdraw from/deposit to/transfer from the Direct Deposit account from any Bangkok Bank branch.

I use direct deposit to my Bangkok Bank direct deposit account. It has to set up by opening the account at a branch here,

Follow the instructions you get by clicking this on the page you posted a link to.

"Advice to Bangkok Bank customers receiving payments from US government agencies or private organizations (Direct Deposit)"

Be aware they will want to see your social security card other than the SF-1199A that is the one thing that they asked for that is shown in that info. I was glad I knew about needing the card since I did not have mine so applied for one at the embassy. They will send the SF1199A to Manila by email when they get it at the main office in Bangkok.

Agree about the fees and setting up the SMS notice Pib wrote about.

Got this in a SSA email this morning. Although I'm not drawing SS yet, I do have an account setup already....been using that to get my Social Security statement.

Appears starting Aug 16, in order to logon to your SS account you'll need to receive a text code to complete the logon. I haven't researched it, but it wouldn't surprise me if they would only send to a U.S. number. If so, hopefully my Google Voice number (a U.S. number) will work which I use with one of my U.S. bank to receive text codes for certain banking actions.

Starting in August 2016, Social Security is adding a new step to protect your privacy as a my Social Security user. This new requirement is the result of an executive order for federal agencies to provide more secure authentication for their online services. Any agency that provides online access to a customer’s personal information must use multifactor authentication.

When you sign in at ssa.gov/myaccount with your username and password, we will ask you to add your text-enabled cell phone number. The purpose of providing your cell phone number is that, each time you log in to your account with your username and password, we will send you a one-time security code you must also enter to log in successfully to your account.

Each time you sign into your account, you will complete two steps:

• Step 1: Enter your username and password.
  • Step 2: Enter the security code we text to your cell phone (cell phone provider's text message and data rates may apply).

The process of using a one-time security code in addition to a username and password is one form of “multifactor authentication,” which means we are using more than one method to make sure you are the actual owner of your account.

If you do not have a text-enabled cell phone or you do not wish to provide your cell phone number, you will not be able to access your my Social Security account.

If you are unable or choose not to use my Social Security, there are other ways you can contact us. To learn more, please review the Frequently Asked Questions found here.

A lot of us are hoping GV will work or else we are apparently SOL.

Anyone have a Plan B for that case? Is there another free SMS service that looks like it's in the US?

A lot of us are hoping GV will work or else we are apparently SOL.

Anyone have a Plan B for that case? Is there another free SMS service that looks like it's in the US?

Hard to say right now, have to wait and see what might work.

GV added SCSMS support a few years back but it's not 100%.

Currently, Google Voice only supports short codes within the U.S. https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115116?hl=en

GV might work, Talkatone might work - I use both for SMS to/from mobiles in the U.S. all the time. Obviously a U.S. SIM roaming here would work - I have to use that for BofA OTPs.

At this time we cannot guarantee that Short Code SMS Messages, which are usually 6 digits or less (e.g.: Skype, Bank Codes, TV Commercials etc...), will work.

The last time I looked, only Anveo supported SCSMS.

I would hope they will allow international numbers but with terms like,

my hope may be misplaced.

Edited by mtls2005

I have a US Skype number and can get SMS's sent to my mobile here when a SMS is sent to it.

I think that you will find that Skype does NOT currently support short-code SMS (SCSMS). But maybe read through the Skype forums for more up to date information.

Yes Skype, Google Voice, Talkatone and many/most VoIP providers may support traditional SMS (origination/delivery). But most verification systems outsource service to bulk providers who use short-code SMSes. If SSA does this, Skype et al., may or may not be able to deliver these messages.

I called the SSA 1800 number about 11pm 30 Jul Thailand time to ask if the new system would accept foreign cell phone numbers. At the first the rep didn't know what I was talking about....she put me on hold for about 5 minutes while she researched the answer. Then she came back and said they (the customer reps) had just found out about it.

I asked again will a foreign number be accepted? She put me on hold again for about 5 minutes to research....when she came back online she still didn't have a definitive answer. She kept saying it will go in effect "tomorrow" like she thought tomorrow was 1 Aug...I didn't tell her tomorrow would be 31 Jul nor that the SSA email didn't say 1 Aug...it just said in Aug when means it could be 1 Aug or just anytime in Aug. Seems strange if it was going to be implemented on 1 Aug they would wait until 29 Jul to blast out emails to everyone....then again, it is the govt.

She said I might want to logon and enter my cell phone number now before the 2 factor verification is implemented on a mandatory basis as that way I wouldn't be asked for the cell phone number as the number would already be in the system and the code would sent to the number. I thanked her for the info and finished the call because I could tell the rep really didn't know how it would be specifically handled.

I then logged onto my SS account to look at the area where you can add/register your cell phone, but that cell phone adding process also requires you to do some verification by one of three different methods (i.e., credit card partial number verification or one of two income tax filing info methods if I remember right) before you can even get to the point to add/register the cell phone number...and then it says they will mail you a letter within 10 days so you can then start using 2 factor verification with the account.

However, the email the SSA sent out today (which I have got several more times) that I quoted earlier does not give details on the cell phone number verification method....that is, like similar or same as the current verification method (which is optional) or just simply entering the number when asked during logon and then that number will be saved to your SSA profile. Maybe that's because when they implement 2 factor verification in Aug (apparently changing form optional to required) how you register your cell phone will be handled differently (more streamlined) than how it's handled now. But I'm guessing.

Sounds like the SSA is really prepared to implement the new system (that's sarcasm) or I just got a rep that just didn't know anything about the new logon method.

According to the website, My Social Security is only available if you "Have a U.S. mailing address."

Apologies, I missed the fact that we where discussing a specialized web-site; I misunderstood.

Have people who have been accessing this "myssa" web-site to date all been registered with U.S. addresses?

It seems like a U.S. cellular number will/may be required if/when this new verification process is implemented. Not sure what numbers/services might work, except to say that a U.S. SIM roaming here would definitely work.

Two Step SMS Verification Could Be Banned Soon; Apple and Others Should Worry

The two factor authentication process could be discontinued in the US as authorities believe that it may not be sufficiently secure

The regulator in charge of setting standards for such authentication software processes, the United States National Institute for Standards and Technology, said that conveying codes via text messages are not secure enough, which is why it could no longer be allowed to use SMS for two factor verification processes.

http://www.technewstoday.com/30693-two-step-sms-verification-could-be-banned-soon-apple-and-others-should-worr/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/nest-two-step-verification/

Edited by mtls2005

According to the website, My Social Security is only available if you "Have a U.S. mailing address."

Apologies, I missed the fact that we where discussing a specialized web-site; I misunderstood.

Have people who have been accessing this "myssa" web-site to date all been registered with U.S. addresses?

It seems like a U.S. cellular number will/may be required if/when this new verification process is implemented. Not sure what numbers/services might work, except to say that a U.S. SIM roaming here would definitely work.

T

Speaking for myself I do have a US mailing address and have had no problems accessing my SSA account.

If it comes to that, how would one get and use a US SIM here long term? The last time I was in the States I bought an ATT sim that was only good for 30 days and had to be activated within a limited time frame IRRC. Normally from ordering in the US (e.g. from Amazon) to receiving in hand in BKK takes upward of 3 weeks. Is there a practical and relatively low-cost way to do this?

While I would hate to add a non-trivial ongoing expense, the US sim would seem to be the most robust solution.

You can maintain a T-Mobile pre-paid SIM for $36 ($3/month), or I add $10 for 90 days expiry, so $40 ($42.50 with tax) per year. I use the SIM on trips back to the U.S.

An int'l SIM is ~ 10 U.S. cents. A T-Mo SIM/activation kit is $5. SIMs can be activated from here. You could ask someone in the U.S. to buy one for you, activate it and then mail it to you?

There may be other solutions; I honestly haven't looked into this in much detail as I am covered.

Edited by mtls2005

Durn shame the Google methods of receiving a verification code are not used...and note I said methods instead of just a text to your cell phone number. Recently I had a problem in my Outlook email client not being able to access one of my gmail accounts via POP/IMAP. My other gmail accounts loaded in Outlook still worked via POP/IMAP. Just that one account would allow POP/IMAP access.

Everything was working fine one night, but the next morning that one account just could not be accessed using Outlook....and the problem existed with my other two computers also. I checked...no Windows updates or Outlook updates over night to possible cause the problem. The account is also the account I use with Chrome logon to keep bookmarks and other stuff synchronized. I've experience similar problems over the years when using Outlook to access my gmail accounts but usually the problem "just cleared up" within a few hours to maybe a few days. Not an uncommon problem if you google...unless you use Outlook or Thunderbird or some similar app you probably don't understand what I'm talking about.

Anyway, the problem did not clear up in a few hours or few days....I could only access that one account via web browser, not Outlook. And each time I logged onto the account via browser I had to get a verification code sent to my Thai cell phone number...at least google accepts international numbers. And the problem was not that I had 2-level verification turned on in google--I didn't. And I had the account setup properly to allow POP/IMAP and to allow Less Secure Apps which Outlook, Thunderbird, etc., fall into per Google. I did a bunch of other things recommended by google to try to get the account to stop asking for a verification code each and every time. Nothing helped. Then by magic the problem just went away after 10 and half days....all three of my computers could access the account using Outlook.

Now during this 10 days I learned a lot about methods that google can use to get a verification to you....and you don't even have to have a cell phone number....you just have any Android Wifi device only (no SIM capability) logged into one of your google accounts and you can get a verification code through a couple of different methods on your Android device. Or if you have a voice call to you which provides a verification code you can hear.

But anyway, it showed me there were several ways to get verification codes for your google accounts "without" having to receive a SMS to logon to the account. Now if other companies used multiple methods to get a verification code to you that would be good....but it seems they take the easy way out and only want to go the SMS to your cell phone route.

On 7/30/2016 at 0:36 AM, Pib said:

I called the SSA 1800 number about 11pm 30 Jul Thailand time to ask if the new system would accept foreign cell phone numbers. At the first the rep didn't know what I was talking about....she put me on hold for about 5 minutes while she researched the answer. Then she came back and said they (the customer reps) had just found out about it.

I asked again will a foreign number be accepted? She put me on hold again for about 5 minutes to research....when she came back online she still didn't have a definitive answer. She kept saying it will go in effect "tomorrow" like she thought tomorrow was 1 Aug...I didn't tell her tomorrow would be 31 Jul nor that the SSA email didn't say 1 Aug...it just said in Aug when means it could be 1 Aug or just anytime in Aug. Seems strange if it was going to be implemented on 1 Aug they would wait until 29 Jul to blast out emails to everyone....then again, it is the govt.

She said I might want to logon and enter my cell phone number now before the 2 factor verification is implemented on a mandatory basis as that way I wouldn't be asked for the cell phone number as the number would already be in the system and the code would sent to the number. I thanked her for the info and finished the call because I could tell the rep really didn't know how it would be specifically handled.

I then logged onto my SS account to look at the area where you can add/register your cell phone, but that cell phone adding process also requires you to do some verification by one of three different methods (i.e., credit card partial number verification or one of two income tax filing info methods if I remember right) before you can even get to the point to add/register the cell phone number...and then it says they will mail you a letter within 10 days so you can then start using 2 factor verification with the account.

However, the email the SSA sent out today (which I have got several more times) that I quoted earlier does not give details on the cell phone number verification method....that is, like similar or same as the current verification method (which is optional) or just simply entering the number when asked during logon and then that number will be saved to your SSA profile. Maybe that's because when they implement 2 factor verification in Aug (apparently changing form optional to required) how you register your cell phone will be handled differently (more streamlined) than how it's handled now. But I'm guessing.

Sounds like the SSA is really prepared to implement the new system (that's sarcasm) or I just got a rep that just didn't know anything about the new logon method.

SSA did implement 2 factor verification and it went into effect 30 July, not in Aug as the SSA email said.  I know, because on the morning of 31 Aug/Sunday at around 7:30am Thailand time (which would have been 30 Aug U.S.time) when trying to logon to my SS account the requirement was already in effect.  So, they didn't wait until Aug as their email stated...it started on 30 Jul.   And it only accepts a 10 digit number which means it only accepts U.S. number as you can not enter a country code/overseas dialing prefix like needing to add the 66 Thailand country code.

Anyway, I entered my Google Voice (GV) number and a second later I got the code in my Google Voice inbox.  Cut and paste the code over to the SSA log-in and I was able to logon.  And when attempting to log-on again the SSA had remembered by GV number (which was automatically saved to my account profile) and offered me to the choice to send to that number again or enter  a different number.  I clicked send to my GV number, got the code via GV Inbox which I also have setup to immediately forward to one of my gmail email addresses.. So, I can really get the code without logging onto my GV Inbox....just getting it in my email box since I have GV setup to relay the code.   The wife tried her SS account and it worked the same way...used our GV number.   As mentioned the number  you use is save to your account profile is saved...and you can also change it from your account profile.

When the SSA sends a code each time you log-on, below is what the text looks like.  The logon code is different for each logon.

YOUR SECURITY CODE IS 92534048

My Social Security Account now requires reeiving a text message but since I only have a  Thai cell number it cannot be entered into the system so a code can be sent.  My Us bank and others have several ways of authenticating including sending a code via email or you can call them to get it.  In addition, Social Security has many elderly customers who do not have cell phones with text messaging.  I am quite irritated with this system- it does nothing to enhance ecurity and the lack of options throws millions off the system. Is this the best that our government can come up with?  In addition, the IRS refuses to use email and insists on mail and fax only. What a complete lack of caring for the American people by the US Government.

Edited by Thaidream

Anyway, I entered my Google Voice (GV) number and a second later I got the code in my Google Voice inbox. 

Excellent news.

Given that, I suspect most VoIP providers would work as well.

Do you have a U.S. address associated with your My SSA account?

Edited by mtls2005

I do not have a US phone number. Is there anyway to  sign up for google voice. I do have a US Fax number only which relays the fax via their web site to my computer in Thailand. Can a text be sent to a fax umber in the same manner  and then relayed ?

Not a tech person. Do not have Smart Phone in Thailand. Is it posible to use another person's phone in the USA -friend/family and sign up for Google Voice and have that phone number used without that phone getting the text message and then when a text comes in- it goes directly to GV?  I wouldn't want the US phone to be disrupted or get the text message.  I also have a virtual fax number in the US which gets a fax and sends it to a computer in box. Could it also get a text message and send the activiation code for SS to the fax in box?  

Just as FYI for folks, you don't need to be drawing social security to sign-up for a social security account.   Neither the wife or I  draw social security (yet) or have signed up for Medicare, we just signed up for an account mainly to be able to pull our Social Security Report/Statement at anytime like you use to get in the mail every year and see what else the account had to offer (which ain't much).

During the online signup process to confirm you are really who they say you are they will use info on your Experian Credit Report and/or federal tax filings.  Probably the most important thing to have a successful sign up is using the last address shown in your federal tax records and/or Experian credit report.  While my signup went OK...when doing the wife's signup it was locked out for too many attempts in trying to get the data correct....later found out the incorrect data causing the lockout was the "last address" they showed for the wife.  

Now the wife and I have been married for 4 decades...always lived at the same address...always filed a joint return.  But for some reason they (Experian) had a different last address for the wife compared to mine.  For the wife's they used a temporary/rental address we lived at for only about 6 weeks which was the time between the sale of our home we had lived at for many years and moving to Thailand. For some reason, they had that temporary address on her records but not on mine...how that happened I don't know....maybe related to Post Office forwarding address.    Anyway, a call to Social Security for them to unlock her attempt to sign up, the Social Security rep told her to try an earlier address we live at...didn't work...then we tried the rental address we used for 6 weeks---that worked.  Actually the Social Security rep had to unlock the account during the call because in trying different addresses she was locked out again.   Yeap, using the address than matches the address they are looking for/have on file from tax record or credit redpot (right or wrong) is a key to a successful signup.

I signed up in the US and still use my US address so I could keep the site open- However, now with this new system- I cannot get in as I do not have a US phone number- only a US Fax number- From what I understand Google Voice can be set up but can I use the fax number or do I need to find a relative or friend and use their phone number- and if so when I get Google Voice will the phone number I give be involved. Rather confusing to me. Frakly, SSA is going to kick millions off the site because many older people don't use text messaging and do not have cell phones that get texts and others just do not understand the system.  It would have been much easier to send the code to an email which is just as safe as a text message. Very shortsighted thinking but then again- most government agencies could care less about customer service.