Fresh report: SSA benefits application interview with SSA-Manila

Caveat: this is of interest only to US expats in the vincinity of retirement age.

My 62nd birthday will come mid October this year. 've been living in BKK since 2014. At the end of last month (May) after much research mostly on thaivisa I sent by registered mail my prelimary Social Security application questionnaire to SSA - Manila. Tracking the post I knew that my mail had arrived in Manila the following week. At this time I left town for a 2-week vacation - celebratory inauguration of the beginning of the end (ie. retirement:-). Not bringing the tracking number with me I was unable to ascertain that my package had been signed and delivered to the Manila office while I was island hopping and doing the hula. However I checked my email every day, expecting to hear from SSA Manila any time now...

Well... nothing. Or rather, not until the last day on the island that I finally got an email from a (I should say "my") SSA rep from that office. He informed me that my form had arrived, however he wouldn't be able to input it in the system until mid July, it has to be exactly 3 months prior to my 62nd birthday that the system ("computer") would accept my data. So my responsibility was to reply to his email on this exact date, only then could he start working on my application. Best regards, etc. Very proper and polite. All well and good.

However, the next day, back on terra firma ie. BKK, at 8:01 am, my phone rang. It was a lady officer at the SSA Manila office asking me whether she could conduct an interview with me regarding my SSA application. Pleasantly "shocked" I told her about the email I received the day before from her colleague. She said yes, she was helping him out by doing the interview on his behalf. I consented to be interviewed. She proceeded to go down the list, with a few questions here ("is your exwife still alive?" "Is ---- your bank? Saving account? etc) and there: regarding some spots in my work history that wasn't clear which I was able to explain satisfactorily. She gave a recap my work history in time (how many years) and in total earning (which comes at a shock, too much and too little at the same time). She also gave an estimate of much my benefits would be per month (I had to draw this info out from her.)

Finally she informed me that in 3 or 4 months (the amount of time left leading to my 62nd birthday) I will receive a letter of confirmation from SSA-US with the exact figure and the first deposit to my bank account would happen at the beginning of November of this year. This is interesting. I asked why not October but November? She said that you only get the benefits starting with the first month during which you are 62 for the FULL month. I said that I had read elsewhere (read my lips - "thaivisa") that applicants normally start receiving the benefits the month in which they reach the age of 62. She explained that only if you are born on the first few days of that month, otherwise you won't be full 62 until the following month.And that's the written laws, you can read it on the SSA website.

Who am I to disagree with the US laws, right? so I didn't voice any objection. Regarding the original email from my case worker, she said I would only need to contact him if I have any further questions. So that was it. I was surprised at both the suddenness of the interview (I thought that they would make an appointment with you first) and the abruptness of the procedure (no copying, notarizing of documents that I had expected they would require.) Nevertheless, I am still wondering whether I should inform my original case worker, the one that sent me the email, that my interview has been concluded by his lady colleague? Just in case.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The payment date rules are here:

https://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/handbook/handbook.01/handbook-0121.html

Note that because you're living outside the U.S. you'll get a slight benefit, with your payments being made on the third day of each month, beginning the month after you turn 62. If you lived in the States and had a birthday towards the end of October, say, you'd receive your benefits on the fourth Wednesday of each month, beginning in November.

My experience with SS tells me you have to research everything yourself; you cannot rely on what you're told on the phone. There are just too many rules for anyone to know. This is particularly an issue in Manila, where they handle all Federal benefits, not just Social Security.

The people in Manila are much better than the Social Security people in the states....but I agree the rules are long and it is hard to get good solid information from Social Security.

And I can confirm that those of us who have our benefits sent to us at a foreign address (a foreign mailing address) as in my case have our benefits paid on the 3rd of each month. Irregardless of our birth date in the month.

But we do not get our benefits paid from the same Social Security office we would as if we lived in the U.S.

We are paid from the International Social Security Office in Baltimore and , in my case, I receive my monthly SS benefit on the 4th of each month because there is a 12 hour time zone difference between Baltimore and Bangkok. (International date line).

The batch file is released for SS benefits at midnight each month on the 3rd of the month from Baltimore....which due to the time zone difference is 12 noon on the 4th Bangkok time.

Also you need to understand that you are receiving benefits for the previous month according to SS records.

The benefits I receive here in Bangkok on the 4th of July 2016 will actually be benefits for the month of June 2016 according to the way the SS keeps the records.

And to avoid the question, no the 4th of July is not a holiday in Thailand, and the Thai banks are open, so I should get my benefit on the 4th of July at noon Bangkok time as normal.

Hope all that is not to confusing.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

But one point I'm not clear on: does that special rule for foreign beneficiaries apply regardless how payment is made? I thought I once concluded that it certainly applied if you received payment overseas by check, maybe applied if you received payment to a foreign bank account, but perhaps didn't apply if you received payment to a U.S. account. But that's just a recollection. Anyone have first-hand experience with these three payment methods?

I applied online last year from Thailand and everything was very fast. Telephone interview was only a few questions. He told me exactly how much I would get during the phone call. They have my Thai address and my money is direct deposited to a US bank on the 3rd of the month.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks folks - sorry about my belated response - for the very useful info (SSA link and all). As it turns out, what the SSA lady told me was appropriate, mainly that my first deposit will occur beginning November. What she and I seemed to disagree on was that which month would that deposit be coming from. In practical terms, it doesn't matter. I would get my first SSA payment on schedule whether it would be for either month. And that's what counts.clap2.gif

Again thanks for weighing in.

My birthday is mid September. My first direct deposit happened November 3.

May I ask what month did you get the interview and how long afterwards receive the confirmation letter?

I applied online in July and got the telephone interview in July. I don't remember when I got the letter. But everything happened very fast.

The letter was just to verify what I already had been told on the telephone and required no response..

There was no mention of anything happening through Manila. But there was a mention of Birmingham, AL.

My birthday is mid September. My first direct deposit happened November 3.

May I ask what month did you get the interview and how long afterwards receive the confirmation letter?

I applied online in July and got the telephone interview in July. I don't remember when I got the letter. But everything happened very fast.

The letter was just to verify what I already had been told on the telephone and required no response..

There was no mention of anything happening through Manila. But there was a mention of Birmingham, AL.

Thank you Issanman very much for the info, that's what I needed to know. clap2.gif

Can you apply on-line? Or do you have fill out an application and send it to Manila?

The OP mentions a "...preliminary Social Security application questionnaire".

I only looked at this first page... https://secure.ssa.gov/iClaim/rib

You sure can apply online. Just like the Manila Office webpage states:

Are you filing for retirement, disability or Medicare benefit? File online and eliminate the need to wait for an appointment.

I also asked the Manila office the question back in Mar 16 just to confirm what the govt website stated/implied....below is a partial quote of their 19 Mar 16 response. I was also very clear that I live in Thailand.

Thank you for your email. You have an option to apply online at www.ssa.gov. Once completed and evaluated, we shall determine if you need to submit some documents. If you do, our office in Manila shall contact you as you will be required to submit them through our office. If you receive an advise online to send your documents to Baltimore, please it would take longer for your application to be approved.

Since I'm seriously considering starting SS pension early over the next 6 months so, last night I called the SS 1800 info/help number just to ask a variety of questions. Questions I was 99% sure of the correct answer from reviewing websites such as the SS website but just wanted to hear a SS rep answer the question into my ear.

One question was can I apply online although I live in Thailand? I stressed the part about living in Thailand. The rep's answer was yes.

The rep also said I could apply via/thru my local SS Office which is in Manila for us folks living in this part of the world.

Either way was fine. And if I apply online and SS later asks for some support docs to finalize the application approval I could mail those docs to Baltimore or the Manila office. This is in sync with what the Manila office told me while recommending if I'm asked to mail in any support docs to Baltimore to instead mail them to Manila as Manila could process them faster.

But this did not apply to mailing the periodic confirmation doc to prove you are still living...mail those to the requested SS address.

Edited by Pib

Since I'm seriously considering starting SS pension early over the next 6 months so, last night I called the SS 1800 info/help number just to ask a variety of questions. Questions I was 99% sure of the correct answer from reviewing websites such as the SS website but just wanted to hear a SS rep answer the question into my ear.

One question was can I apply online although I live in Thailand? I stressed the part about living in Thailand. The rep's answer was yes.

The rep also said I could apply via/thru my local SS Office which is in Manila for us folks living in this part of the world.

Either way was fine. And if I apply online and SS later asks for some support docs to finalize the application approval I could mail those docs to Baltimore or the Manila office. This is in sync with what the Manila office told me while recommending if I'm asked to mail in any support docs to Baltimore to instead mail them to Manila as Manila could process them faster.

But this did not apply to mailing the periodic confirmation doc to prove you are still living...mail those to the requested SS address.

IMO it may be best to apply through Manila by getting the form from the embassy and having them forward it to Manila. They will call you and set a date and time for the formal interview by phone. That is how I did it about about 4 and half years ago (no online application possible then from here).

I was talking a guy that did his online and he got an email from Manila asking him to call them to finalize things.

I may do that. Since I live in Bangkok, I contacted the U.S. Embassy Bangkok to ask about the process to apply with Manila with the Bangkok Embassy (or U.S. Embassy Chiang Mai) acting as the middle man to provide the initial forms and to mail them to the Social Security Office at the U.S. Emassy Manila. I asked about both Social Security and Medicare signup since I will want Medicare Part B in order to continue with Tricare for Life once turning 65 since I'm retired military.

You would not need to go to the U.S. Embassy Bangkok (or Chiang Mai Embassy) to get or return the forms as they will email them to you and you can email them back; they in turn forward them to the SS Office in Manila. Heck, I live in Bangkok and dread even infrequent needs to go the embassy since you need to make an appointment, fighting the traffic to get there which is usually a morning appointment, etc. Fine folks at the embassy but it's just I don't like the trek to the embassy.

The initial signup form for either Social Security or Medicare are very simple one page forms, but Manila will call you later for an interview and tell you what additional forms you may need to mail them. I expect during the telephone interview they will collect additional info that if you applied online you would have provided already as the online form collects more information especially regarding social security benefits. In some cases if they require some original or certified/notarized doc you may want to have that done from the Bangkok/Chiang Mai embassy to Manila to help ensure safe delivery to Manila...of course this means a visit to the embassy....will depend on what doc(s) Manila may ask for....everyone's situation will be different.

I completed the online application form again a few days and saved it...I can go back to it later and electronically sign it which actually transmits it to the Social Security for processing. I also did it about a year ago just for info/practice, but after around 6 months it falls out of the system if you don't sign it. The online form is a couple pages long but info requested is all easy/very basic info. If anyone wants to walk themselves through the signup process they can go to this Social Security webpage to complete a sign-up application...you can save it and come back to it later....just don't electronically sign it as that transmits it. You don't need a Social Security online account to complete the form. You can sign up for Social Security and Medicare on the same form if you happen to be starting them at the same time.

Anyway, below are the initial Social Security and Medicare signup forms if you were going to go the Manila route....but remember Manila will be contacting you for more info/a telephone interview/maybe more docs, etc. I've also included a couple of partial quotes from the U.S. Embassy Bangkok giving some additional info regarding submitting/processing the forms. The U.S. Embassy Bangkok was very helpful and quick to reply.

Just a note about where they talk using a Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit account if desired, you don't have to if you don't want to...you can have your social security benefits deposited to your U.S. bank if desired. It's just Bangkok Bank is the only Thai bank with "ACH Receiving" capability and U.S. govt pension payments such as social security, military/civil service retirement, etc., are sent via the ACH funds transfer system....the primary funds transfer system used in the U.S. The Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit account is FYI only but definitely comes in handy if you don't want to use your U.S. bank or no longer have a U.S. bank account. There are two low cost fees applied by Bangkok Bank at their New York branch and their in-Thailand branch for each deposit/transfer via ACH transfer....probably works out to approx $11 in total fees for the typical social security pension payment at or below $2,000...above $2,000 it would be approx $16 in total fees.

Thank you for your inquiry. If you would like to apply Medicare through the U. S. Embassy Bangkok you can complete the attached form and email it back to us. We will then forward the application to SSA in Manila. You should apply between 3 months prior to your date of birth (65), and no later than 3 month after your date of birth.

If you have further questions please feel free to contact SSA Manila at [email protected].

Thank you for your inquiry.

To apply for Social Security benefits in Thailand, you may apply 3 months prior to your 62nd birthday. Please complete the attached form and email it to [email protected]. We will send your application to the Social Security Administration office in Manila. You do not need to submit any documents yet – the case worker in Manila will interview you by phone and will request the documents at a later date. Normal processing time is approximately 3-6 months, depending on how complicated the case is. Please see the attached form. If you have any more questions regarding your benefits, you may contact SSA directly at [email protected].

Please be informed that if you need the benefits to be directly deposited to an account in Thailand, only Bangkok Bank is able to provide this service. You may contact any Bangkok Branch to establish a direct deposit account. If you encounter any problems with your branch, you may request that they contact the head office: 02-230-1323. However please open the account after you have an interview with SSA in Manila.

Medicare Signup Initial Form for Manila

CMS 40B Medicare Enrollment.pdf

Social Security Signup Initial Form for Manila

SOCIAL SECURITY CLAIMANT INFORMATION SHEET.docx

Interesting. I did not know that US embassies/consulates would forward mail to Manila. I originally sent my application back to Baltimore -- where it's been lost for almost six months now -- because I didn't feel too comfortable relying on the Philippine mail system. Though I've since sent mail to Manila and it's arrived on schedule.

Yea, I expect they just use direct intra-agency mailing. Plus most U.S. embassies will have a military APO (military post office) which they may use to move mail around the world...that way, the mailing stays within the U.S. military postal system which interfaces with the U.S. Postal System. For outbound mailing of certain federal benefits documentation it appears they have some special procedures to ensure the docs stay within a U.S. controlled/contracted mailing system. Heck, they may just scan and email them....that is direct from embassy to embassy....since it form embassy to embassy that provides verification the docs are valid/have been reviewed by embassy personnel. But I'm guessing regarding via the email thing. It's good embassies give attention to folks applying for certain federal benefits.

Now when it comes to Manila mailing the docs back to you, I don't know what system they use. I expect unless you have a military APO mailing address (which you would not have unless a military retiree) they will mail it back to the civilian/local address you give them in the application which means it would be going through Philippines/Thailand postal systems. But maybe they mail it back to your local embassy, the embassy notifies you by email your docs are back and you can come pick them up...or your local embassy will mail them back to you based on the address you gave them when first giving them the docs. Similar to how the local embassy will provide you a renewed passport once it arrives to them from the processing point in the U.S. if you asked it to be mailed to you versus you coming and picking it up at the local embassy. Expect Manila is the one to ask regarding how they get the docs back to you which would be addressed during the interview via telephone.

Partial quote from the U.S. Embassy website:

The U.S. Embassy in Bangkok is a non-claim Post and does not have access to Social Security Administration (SSA) records. In the East-Asia Pacific region, SSA benefits and services are administered at the U.S. Embassy in Manila, Philippines.

Social Security Administration
United States Embassy
1201 Roxas Blvd.
Ermita, Manila 0930
Philippines
Phone: +63-2-301-2000 ext. 9
E-mail: [email protected]

U.S. Citizen Services at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok can provide limited assistance with Social Security issues, including:

1. Providing basic information about SSA benefits
  2. Supplying forms
  3. Submitting inquiries to SSA Manila
  4. Submitting forms to SSA Manila
  5. Certifying and forwarding supporting documentation to SSA Manila
  6. Assisting with Direct Deposit sign up
  7. Requesting Social Security numbers from SSA Manila
  8. Reporting the death of a beneficiary

Interesting. I did not know that US embassies/consulates would forward mail to Manila. I originally sent my application back to Baltimore -- where it's been lost for almost six months now -- because I didn't feel too comfortable relying on the Philippine mail system. Though I've since sent mail to Manila and it's arrived on schedule.

They don't mail it. They forward by email or fax.

Got the first call from Manila after faxing it to the embassy in about 10 days.

Form Pib posted is almost identical to the one I filled out.

The only thing I got by mail (sent at a Philippine post office) from Manila was a written confirmation of what was discussed in the interview. There was small error in my mailing address that I corrected by an email to Manila.

Called the Manila office this morning. Got through easy...was talking to a Social Security rep within a minute of making the call. I made it clear I live in Thailand and would be applying for Medicare/Social Security from Thailand. I just asked a few questions like:

Question: Can I submit online or must I submit the paper forms to Manila? Answer: Either or both. By both the rep said the main social security application center would just forward the application to the Manila office for further processing in case additional docs are needed and I could also submit the forms to their office. I expect whenever Manila gets a form for Medicare/Social Security signup they check into their computer system to check on your record, if any applications are on-file, etc.

Question: The U.S. Bangkok Embassy emailed me the one page forms for Medicare/SS signup and said to email them back to them, and they would then forward them to U.S. Embassy Manila SSO. I asked since it appears Bangkok just "relays/forwards" the forms can I instead just email them direct to the Manila Social Security Office. Answer: Yes.

I decided to call Manila again since my call via DTAC was not that clear...so I added some international credit to my home U.S. phone number I have here in Bangkok (a VOIP type number) and called again...much cleared this time.

Talked to a different rep this time. In fact I got a rep who based on an email from them a few months ago when I asked a few questions would be "my case worker" based on my social security number. Anyway, she said I could apply both ways but really I should pick just one.

Initially she was ready to schedule my telephone phone interview (she thought I was ready to apply for benefits today) and I can submit the forms directly to them over the coming days. She also said I did not have to submit the forms back through the U.S. Embassy Bangkok; instead, I could email them direct to the SSO in the U.S. Embassy Manila.

I declined setting up the interview as it's still a little too early based on when I want to start the benefits. I will submit the forms in early September and probably even give them a call a few days later to confirm that got the forms and schedule an interview although I'm sure they would get the forms and call me to schedule the interview.

Yes, as of now, I've decided I will go the Manila route to signup since they are easy to contact and they sure seem nice when talking them on the phone.

There is no separate medicare sign up needed unless you are already 65 or over and want part B. You will get basic medicare automatically when you turn 65 and are using a address for here. If using a US address you will get enrolled in part B automatically when you turn 65.

Correct. But unless you are already drawing social security (I'm not) and do want Part B (I do), then I need to sign up for Part B and Social Security (can do at same time or separately online or with Manila)>

They don't mail it. They forward by email or fax.

Got the first call from Manila after faxing it to the embassy in about 10 days.

Form Pib posted is almost identical to the one I filled out.

The only thing I got by mail (sent at a Philippine post office) from Manila was a written confirmation of what was discussed in the interview. There was small error in my mailing address that I corrected by an email to Manila.

In my case I did not get anything written post-interview from Manila. I guess things have changed during the 4 years interim...Matter of fact, I sent an email inquiry this week and got a reply this morning that my application has been "receipted" by SSA Baltimore on the date that it was supposed to be. I am now wondering about when and if I will get a claim number as my application now is a bona fide claim albeit "pending." That number is required when you want to check the status of your claim on ssa website.

I decided to call Manila again since my call via DTAC was not that clear...so I added some international credit to my home U.S. phone number I have here in Bangkok (a VOIP type number) and called again...much cleared this time.

Talked to a different rep this time. In fact I got a rep who based on an email from them a few months ago when I asked a few questions would be "my case worker" based on my social security number. Anyway, she said I could apply both ways but really I should pick just one.

Initially she was ready to schedule my telephone phone interview (she thought I was ready to apply for benefits today) and I can submit the forms directly to them over the coming days. She also said I did not have to submit the forms back through the U.S. Embassy Bangkok; instead, I could email them direct to the SSO in the U.S. Embassy Manila.

I declined setting up the interview as it's still a little too early based on when I want to start the benefits. I will submit the forms in early September and probably even give them a call a few days later to confirm that got the forms and schedule an interview although I'm sure they would get the forms and call me to schedule the interview.

Yes, as of now, I've decided I will go the Manila route to signup since they are easy to contact and they sure seem nice when talking them on the phone.

Make sure you do it within the 3 months window prior to your birthday. As mentioned in OP, I sent mine in a bit early (4 months prior) and thus ensued the correspondence about reminding SSA Manila on the day my 3 months window begun. Also like I said my interview was conducted rather abruptly, without any prior notice and at 8:01 in the morning! The time between them receiving my application to the time I got called for interview was 10 days more or less. btw I sent my application to Manila via regular Thai post WITH tracking and it was equally expedient. I remember it was 95 baht instead of 650 via EMS. Hope this helps.

Your claim number will be on the confirmation letter you get from the SSA. It will be your social security number with a letter after it which I suspect will be an A as since it will be your first claim. My case officer emailed the confirmation to me before I got it in the mail or at least about the same time..

Yeap, wait until three months before the date you want your benefits to start before submitting your application.. Over 3 months is too early and I guess the application just sets in their inbox so to speak gathering dust until the three month point arrives. I'm probably going to submit my stuff at about the 2.5 months before point.