Chinaman arrested for theft at Swampy tries to bribe cops - now faces two charges

webfact

Chinaman arrested for theft at Swampy tries to bribe cops - now faces two charges

tpol.jpg
Image: TPD News

BANGKOK: -- A Chinese man was arrested on an aircraft at Suvarnabhumi after a Thai passenger complained of theft from an overhead locker on an Emirates flight from Dubai.

Emirates staff called in the cops after the woman reported losing 460,000 baht worth of Swedish krona that was in the locker. They suggested that it might have been stolen by the Chinese passenger in seat 61E who had been seen opening the locker in flight and opening a bag. He was sitting behind the Thai passenger on the flight that was headed for Hong Kong after a stop in Bangkok.

Tourist police boarded the plane at the stand and checked under his seat and found the exact amount that was reported missing. The money was returned to the woman and Sheng Wanjun, 44, from Hainan was taken off the flight (EK384) and interrogated.

He denied the charge. But after police discovered suspicious activity in his passport, namely that he had flown into Thailand the previous month and left almost immediately, they decided to begin charging him with theft at which point the Chinese man produced 50,000 baht and attempted to bribe the cops for his release.

So he was charged with both theft and attempting to bribe the police. He was detained and handed over to the airport police for processing.

Source: Tourist Police

tvn.png
-- 2016-06-21

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bribing a kop...

I bet the charge will be dropped, it will put others off making quick, ticket less payments.

That's a lot of dosh ...did she declare it??? (money laundering laws)

Edited by Basil B

"CHINAMAN??"

Headline written by someone over 70 years old who hasn't read the news since 1945?

Unbelievable in this century.

My thoughts exactly. Right out of the 'no ticky, no shirty' era.

Edited by lifeincnx

"CHINAMAN??"

Headline written by someone over 70 years old who hasn't read the news since 1945?

Chinaman, Chineseman not unlike Englishman or Dutchman, except have "slanty eyes". Just another old word not now in common usage.

this type of crime seems to be on the rise lately....

Emirates seem to be the airline of choice for these thieves with HK/Dubai/HK/ flights, either direct or with stopovers, being the main targets.

Unlikely that this is just a 'lucky dip' so probably assisted by spotters in the airport, either at airport security checks or exchange booths, with flight and seat details obtained. and someone available in the airport to travel at short notice.

A recent episode of the Dubai Airport series featured such a case and the guy who was accused of the inflight theft from the overhead locker had taken a number of HK/Dubai/HK flights over a short period of time. Seem to recall he was also Chinese.

Bribing a kop...

I bet the charge will be dropped, it will put others off making quick, ticket less payments.

The amount involved was about $13k so, if the passenger was getting off at Bangkok, that would be within the $20k limit before needing to declare the dosh. Always provided that was the extent of the currency being brought into Thailand.

"CHINAMAN??"

Outrageously objectionable word. Hasn't been part of common English usage since WW1.

The term "Chinaman" is an extremely derogatory word. I am part Chinese. It is almost the equivalent to the "N" word. I do not appreciate your using it in a headline. It shows possible racism, but more likely ignorance. Either one not a good quality for conveying the news.

Bribing a kop...

I think that it will be a finf that 50,000 baht.

The term "Chinaman" is an extremely derogatory word. I am part Chinese. It is almost the equivalent to the "N" word. I do not appreciate your using it in a headline. It shows possible racism, but more likely ignorance. Either one not a good quality for conveying the news.

Velly Velly sorry appleman.................in fact sorry seems to be the hardest word to say.....

Unless you're Chinese, then it's "squirrel"...........................coffee1.gif

"Possible racism"? Since when did Chinese become an exclusive race?

Velly Velly sorry appleman.................in fact sorry seems to be the hardest word to say.....

Unless you're Chinese, then it's "squirrel"...........................coffee1.gif

In the immortal words of Ron Burgundy

post-222074-0-52271800-1466501784_thumb.

So, do all Chinese men and women find adjectives acceptable and all China men and women find nouns unacceptable? The term Chinatown must be very upsetting for you.

Could be a simple theft on a plane.

But the way China's been going after their dissidents and fugitives around the world, the money could have been planted on the guy so he'd be arrested and subject to immediate deportation to the Mainland with no fuss or bother or asylum nuisances or political fallout.

Deporting a dissident? Bad Mojo and lots of press. Deporting a thief? No problem.