Increase in Thai violence and anger, or an increase in reporting?

DLang

Modern technology – mobile phones, car cams, combined with social media sites – can capture Thai behavior and Thai society as never before possible.

Everyday there are clips of Thais drawing swords on each other because a driver overtook another diver on the road, shooting each other in the head over who left a water tap on – two items in the news today, and repeated daily, not to mention the daily jealousy slayings.

We call it their ‘juju’ (ego), be perceived to step on or threaten their juju, and extreme violence with weapons can occur.

Is this social trait escalating? Or is the same as it’s always been, but it is just now broadcast to the masses via modern technology?

I have certainly seen an increase in anger on the roads of BKK over the past 8 years, and over the past 10 years have seen a big increase in anger and frustration in many Thais’ lives.

Are many Thais closer to their breaking point, or has Thai society and Thai behavior always been so angry and volatile and we're simply seeing an increase in reportage?

Edited by DLang

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I have only seen the increase in anger in the newspapers and in video captures. I think its reporting, but I have no real proof. In my life in BKK I personally have not encountered more violence. That of course does not say much as I am just 1 person.

But with all those new phones and dashcams a lot more gets reported.

Personally, I have only seen the increase in anger in the newspapers and in video captures. I think its reporting, but I have no real proof. In my life in BKK I personally have not encountered more violence. That of course does not say much as I am just 1 person.

Agree. Not sure why the OP has to ask the question--just freakin walk outside. What do you see? I haven't seen any evidence of increase in violence, at least not in Chiang Mai.

Today, sorry to say it like that, we are all voyeur (peeping Tom).

All is about money and if a media company wants to make money it has to show what people wants to see.

And people want see that in other places it's worst than where they live.

I don't think it's more violent today than a few years ago. As said above, there are now so many cameras everywhere that it's a lot easier to catch images of the violence and show them on TV.

"Are many Thais closer to their breaking point, or has Thai society and Thai behavior always been so angry and volatile and we're simply seeing an increase in reportage?"

I believe it's a feature of their primitive feudal society.

Just reported more widely now due to the mobile phone and social media explosion.

South Africa is exactly the same (tribal fighting all the time).

Edited by MissAndry

I still think that Thais in general are very non confrontational, I have never had a problem with anyone

in that way in the ten years I have been here, and I have spent lots of time in Bangkok and Pattaya.

When I first came to Thailand in 2005, I felt safe anytime, anywhere. There seemed to be very little violent crime, but now it happens daily. The economy is worse than ever. High Season used to be a time of plenty, with shops, restaurants and bars in Pattaya, full of customers and money poured in. For some reason, Western tourists are not so welcome any more, .... fewer are coming, but tourists numbers are up, .... because of the Tsunami of Russians and Chinese, people who do not care about or respect Thai culture, customs, food or even the people! Most shops are empty as these new tourists do not frequent Thai businesses like Westerners did.

Thais are struggling in this stagnant economy so crime of all sorts, including violent crimes are on the rise! I am an elderly single man and fear being out at night alone as someone like me is an ideal target for the Thai thugs that drink a couple of bottles of courage and feel the power of the gang. So often a group of young Thais gang up on an elderly guy, beat the heck out of him and steal everything of value from him, ..... and very little if anything ever happens to them.

Maybe a small uptick , Thais have always been violent , maybe this government have not delivered this months happiness.

You are usually quite sensible in your posts Shirtless, so I'm a bit surprised at this one, but could you say where you live in Thailand, and the sort of places where you hang about.

I think maybe you are referring to the bars and go go areas where if a Farang has a row with a Thai, he ends up having to face another five.

There has always been an element of violence in Thai society. I'm unaware of any statistics by which to measure an increase or a decrease, but there have been additional stressors over the past 10-20 years, at least. In the political arena, and without regard to the details, there have been multiple coups, yellow shirts, red shirts and juntas. Searching for "household debt Thailand 2016" results in articles with headlines such as "Household debts hit Highest in 8 years, filling pockets of Thai loan sharks" and "Household debt expected to remain above 80% of GDP." Throw in a drought and perhaps a significant decline in tourism revenue (upbeat tourism industry reports seem to be a bit at odds with a great many anecdotal reports of decline in the tourist areas), sprinkle with Erawan bombings and ever worsening traffic problems, and it looks like there are plenty of reasons to suspect that violence may be increasing.

Not just violence, however...There appear to be many more people around who are simply rude and uptight, and especially in the metropolitan areas. I can't be sure, but my guess is that having to ride BTS and MRT anywhere every day would in itself be a stressor, and I'm surprised there aren't more people screaming insults at one another on the trains than there are. Trying to drive would just be that much worse.

Sometimes I look at all of this and feel sad that Thailand is becoming more and more westernized. Becoming less and less tolerant with more and more people trying to tell others how they should live. There appears to be a great deal more of the western "trying to keep up with the Joneses" in the Thai neighborhood in which I live and elsewhere... Ever bigger houses with more and more news cars surrounding them, which generally means debt. Maybe I'm wrong on all this, but it seems that the people are slowly discarding the ideas of "jai yen yen" and 'mai bpen rai."

For whatever reasons, I've certainly become more cognizant of a "general unease" in Thailand over the past few years. Not only among the locals, but also among different groups of foreigners. I mean, TM 30 forms, and "Foreign National Information Forms" and etc. Why are such forms necessary? I assume it would be because people in government are stressed and uptight as well. Uptight about what? Erawan bombings, and etc. And so yes... Increasing stress among different groups of foreigners.

I'm still happy to call Thailand my home, but it appears much less friendly than it was 10-20 years ago.

Both.

There has definitely been an increase in reporting of crime in the media. Everyone with a cellphone has been turned into a reporter, and closed circuit tv cameras have really proliferated. The news media feeds the public's morbid fascination with watching and hearing about all manner of shoplifting, bank robberies, motorcycle thefts, assaults, car accidents, vehicular homicides, murders, convenience store and jewelry store robberies, rapes, murders, and suicides. Thailand is definitely under socio/economic/political stress, and there is probably no better place to see this than in rural farm areas. Drought, erratic weather, and low farm commodity prices have really taken their toll. It shouldn't come as a big surprise that crime might be on the increase in such an environment.

Although I don't know for certain whether overall crime rates are up, one demographic group which I believe has become more violent and crime-prone is teenage boys, and young men. The rural educational system has completely failed them, and job prospects for poorly educated men here, as is the case worldwide, are in decline.

The news media closely monitors social media for newsworthy (mostly crime) stories and races to publish them. This publicizing of crime has done several things. First, it has altered social norms, making crime seem more common, and thus less out-of-the-norm and more acceptable. Also, by posting these incidents from cellphone cameras and CCTV cameras on Facebook, U-Tube, and to an even larger audience via internet and TV news services, it effectively serves as a "how to" guide on how to commit crimes. This may actually be encouraging people to try their hand at commiting a crime. Finally, because of social media (and traditional news media's reliance on social media as a news source), this contributes to a culture of the "celebrity criminal," where a sub-motive for crime may be getting one's 10 minutes of fame amongst one's peer group, and society as a whole.

The good news is that these same cellphones and CCTV cameras are being used with increasing effectiveness by the police to apprehend people who break the law.

So all is not lost and there is still cause for hope.

Edited by Gecko123

"Is this social trait escalating? Or is the same as it’s always been, but it is just now broadcast to the masses via modern technology?"

I think this is a question many people are asking. I think it has always been like this but because of social media, it is being reported more

watching Thai soaps you will realize that every minute at least somebody is screaming, injured, beaten up, killed....

It's just they follow what they could see in TV. It's for most Thais reality. To threaten somebody is normal, to cheat is daily life, to kill sometimes necessary.

But what would you expect if a country is ruled by a General, trained in killing?

Both.

In the past 10 years I have definitely noticed an increase in anger and frustration from the Thais, and yes, one way they can vent a little bit is on the road, this is where their aggressive and volatile and anti-social driving culture comes from - an emotionally restrictive culture.

To be honest, Thai society and culture doesn't seem fit for the 21st Century, seeing what the World has to offer and (for most cases) it being unattainable for them. They have gone from centuries of buffalo, carts, and rice paddies to modern vehicles and a modern World in one generation. Is it little wonder that they are lost.

They were probably happier in the past, before they were aware of what they could never have.

I mean, would you want to be a Thai-born Thai in their 20's or 30's (or any age) in this hopeless place?

Add the Little-Man Syndrome that plagues them, and the delicate egos.... Little wonder they go nuts and kill people over nothing (perceived slight of ego) after years of bottling up all the anger and frustration that they have.

Edited by Happy Grumpy

Maybe a small uptick , Thais have always been violent , maybe this government have not delivered this months happiness.

You are usually quite sensible in your posts Shirtless, so I'm a bit surprised at this one, but could you say where you live in Thailand, and the sort of places where you hang about.

I think maybe you are referring to the bars and go go areas where if a Farang has a row with a Thai, he ends up having to face another five.

Nah. You miss the point. This has nothing to do with it. It's is nationwide and nothing to do with foreigners or go go bars. It's been apparent since the denial of the Democratic vote and the seizure of power, for the 12th time, that Thais are angry, frustrated and scared.

Nah. You miss the point. This has nothing to do with it. It's is nationwide and nothing to do with foreigners or go go bars. It's been apparent since the denial of the Democratic vote and the seizure of power, for the 12th time, that Thais are angry, frustrated and scared.

I don't think the average Thai would do anything against anyone who didn't do anything against them, I have

always found them decent and helpful, although there are exceptions like in any country.

I mean, would you want to be a Thai-born Thai in their 20's or 30's (or any age) in this hopeless place?

It would depend on the alternative choice, I wouldn't fancy being a Greek, Spaniard or Syrian in their 20/30s at the moment. I'm not entirely certain I'd rather be British either.

At least here, in Thailand, you would have a chance at employment, a family and owning your own home.

Try opening a small business in Brighton Vs Chiang Mai or earning enough to live as a shop assistant in Central London Vs Bangkok.

Edited by MissAndry

It sure seems there is an increase on a worldwide level - when I wake in the morning and turn on my computer, I almost expect to see another mass murder in my home country USA,... but yes, there seems to be an increase in Thailand too... though most seems to be Pattaya, Phuket, tourist centered based and I see absolutely none of it in Baan Nork...

If I can only figure out how to turn off my computer???

The increase in violence is not unique to Thailand...check out the activity in South America, Africa, the Middle-East, Europe, and even the US...

The entire world is embroiled in turmoil due to economic slowdown, unemployment, religious terrorists, and a shortage of goods and services.

There are few places in the world...where violence has not increased dramatically over the last few years...

Expect it to get worst...take a look at Venezuela for an example of what is to come...

Agree. Not sure why the OP has to ask the question--just freakin walk outside. What do you see? I haven't seen any evidence of increase in violence, at least not in Chiang Mai.

" just freakin walk outside. What do you see? "

lots of lady boys on Pattaya Beach Road some of whom wouldn't think twice about sinking their high heeled shoe into your skull if you dealt with them in the wrong way

Next!

The entire world is embroiled in turmoil due to economic slowdown, unemployment, religious terrorists, and a shortage of goods and services.

I'm not seeing any shortages of anything, anywhere, and certainly not of goods and services.