Cowboy cops shoot rampaging gunman's trigger finger off

webfact

I wonder if they really intended to shoot his finger off. The article is light on details. If he was shoot at 25 metres or more with a hand gun, I would guess they were aiming for his head or chest but missed. But a police marksman with a rifle and scope could have easily shoot his hand intentionally from 100 metres or so.

the country is like the wild wild west then you need the elements that befit the name - cowboy cops, bandits, and lots of guns - sums up to a lawless society!

Oh yes we are very lawful in the USA and UK. Can you say Forex or Libor. Jesus H Christ give me a break...

Good shot I say. Being an ex Police TRG Sniper in Oz, we shot out to a max of 300 metres. Way different to military, that shoot out to 1000+ metres. The difference being that once a Police Officer takes a shot, then generally the situation is done and dusted. If a military sniper takes the shot, then they also have to have an exit plan as a world of heat could be coming their way. With the rifles we had, I'd be confident of shooting the hand that the perp is holding the pistol with out to about 200 metres max. Especially if that photo published is an accurate account of the scenario at the time. But having said all that, we weren't permitted to take shots like that. It is one shot, one kill for all Oz TRG type units, with a head shot being the preferred option. So I'd be curious as to know the range the Thai Police took their shot from, what type of rifle and their actual policy on this stuff. But in the end, a good shot as far as I am concerned as no further loss of life, and even though this bloke is killer, a Police Officer doesn't need a kill on his conscious either. And for everyone who thinks it is an easy job pulling the trigger and taking a life, you have no idea...

It's funny but I can't recall ever seeing news photos of Thai police marksmen, although they are regularly seen with iron sight M16s, or heard of them at work. I guess they must have some, unless the army doesn't permit it. Every cop shop has some M16s in the armoury and maybe some shotguns but I would doubt there is anything like a TRG outside large cities, if at all. In 2010 the papers showed pictures of army snipers deployed against the red shirts but only with scoped M16s. Nevertheless, the military does train snipers on .308s and there definitely some .338s and other larger calibre rifles in Thailand too.

Good shot I say. Being an ex Police TRG Sniper in Oz, we shot out to a max of 300 metres. Way different to military, that shoot out to 1000+ metres. The difference being that once a Police Officer takes a shot, then generally the situation is done and dusted. If a military sniper takes the shot, then they also have to have an exit plan as a world of heat could be coming their way. With the rifles we had, I'd be confident of shooting the hand that the perp is holding the pistol with out to about 200 metres max. Especially if that photo published is an accurate account of the scenario at the time. But having said all that, we weren't permitted to take shots like that. It is one shot, one kill for all Oz TRG type units, with a head shot being the preferred option. So I'd be curious as to know the range the Thai Police took their shot from, what type of rifle and their actual policy on this stuff. But in the end, a good shot as far as I am concerned as no further loss of life, and even though this bloke is killer, a Police Officer doesn't need a kill on his conscious either. And for everyone who thinks it is an easy job pulling the trigger and taking a life, you have no idea...

It's funny but I can't recall ever seeing news photos of Thai police marksmen, although they are regularly seen with iron sight M16s, or heard of them at work. I guess they must have some, unless the army doesn't permit it. Every cop shop has some M16s in the armoury and maybe some shotguns but I would doubt there is anything like a TRG outside large cities, if at all. In 2010 the papers showed pictures of army snipers deployed against the red shirts but only with scoped M16s. Nevertheless, the military does train snipers on .308s and there definitely some .338s and other larger calibre rifles in Thailand too.

yep, in the red shirt days they showed blokes with iron sight 16s, but i seem to remember some photos of some beret boys with scopes.

can't really see why they would aim for his head or body and simply missed, if that was the case, let him pull the trigger. maybe they figured they could shoot the gun out of his hand like the old cowboy movies and shot his hand instead

can't really see why they would aim for his head or body and simply missed, if that was the case, let him pull the trigger. maybe they figured they could shoot the gun out of his hand like the old cowboy movies and shot his hand instead

I was an MP in the Marine's And I shot excellent Both with gun and rifle and even I with my 1911 A 45 couldn't pull that off so must be BS cause it smells strong from here. This another trust me I'm Thai moment?

Exactly, unless they were standing almost right next to him it is impossible.

Since when are police officers trained to shoot to wound?

More likely shot at him and missed and coincidentally hit the fingers.

I sincerely hope the officer pointed the gun upwards afterwards,blew the smoke off the top then twirled it back into its holster?

All probably without reapplying the safety catch!

They had a display at the Chiang Rai Airport for Childrens Day (!) last year. A Border Police "sniper team" were deployed, they had a M16 fitted with an optical sight, and a maglight stuck to the stock with some "black nasty" (insulting tape). They also had a bolt action rifle fitted with a massive telescopic sight - it looked like a 7.62 calibre.

The guys were wearing black combat suits, balaclavas and sunglasses with their berets over the balaclavas - must have been jolly sweaty. They looked a bit like a Provisional IRA funeral saluting squad. The obvious attempt to ensure anonymity was rather negated by the fact that they had their names embroidered on a patch sewn on the left tit of their combat jackets!

"They had a display at the Chiang Rai Airport for Childrens Day (!) last year. A Border Police "sniper team" were deployed, they had a M16 fitted with an optical sight, and a maglight stuck to the stock with some "black nasty" (insulting tape). They also had a bolt action rifle fitted with a massive telescopic sight - it looked like a 7.62 calibre.

The guys were wearing black combat suits, balaclavas and sunglasses with their berets over the balaclavas - must have been jolly sweaty. They looked a bit like a Provisional IRA funeral saluting squad. The obvious attempt to ensure anonymity was rather negated by the fact that they had their names embroidered on a patch sewn on the left tit of their combat jackets!"

Insulting tape...you're a crappy shot...what the Hell was that...you call yourself a marksman?

doubt any cop even in thailand would shoot for such a small target as a finger. never heard of a cop shooting at a suicidal person to stop him from killing himself. all seems wrong. most likely explanation is the gun probably malfunctioned and blew up in his hands. at least that would be more believable.

"They had a display at the Chiang Rai Airport for Childrens Day (!) last year. A Border Police "sniper team" were deployed, they had a M16 fitted with an optical sight, and a maglight stuck to the stock with some "black nasty" (insulting tape). They also had a bolt action rifle fitted with a massive telescopic sight - it looked like a 7.62 calibre.

The guys were wearing black combat suits, balaclavas and sunglasses with their berets over the balaclavas - must have been jolly sweaty. They looked a bit like a Provisional IRA funeral saluting squad. The obvious attempt to ensure anonymity was rather negated by the fact that they had their names embroidered on a patch sewn on the left tit of their combat jackets!"

Insulting tape...you're a crappy shot...what the Hell was that...you call yourself a marksman?

1: I make no claim to be a marksman. I was a soldier for rather a long time, and always passed my Annual Personal Weapons Test, both for primary weapon and alternative weapon usually with a respectable score.

2: " black nasty" and "insulting tape" are well known military acronyms for black plastic tape - but then as a marksman and really knowledgeable chap (a gravelbelly perhaps) you would know that wouldn't you?

3: I never felt the need to dress up like something out of the Walter Mitty Commandos before going to the arms kote to draw a weapon, but each to his own.

I hope that you're not offended, being addressed thus by a "crappy shot".

PS. A "gravelbelly" Is another slang term, used to describe someone who spends a lot of the time on the range. I hope this helps.

Edited by JAG

I was an MP in the Marine's And I shot excellent Both with gun and rifle and even I with my 1911 A 45 couldn't pull that off so must be BS cause it smells strong from here. This another trust me I'm Thai moment?

Yes and I'm a professional sniper. ?????

Never a dull moment on Tvf with so many fantasy members.

Seems like everyone's either a Detective or Soldier on here.

Edited by Sooo Upto Me

Yes and I'm a professional sniper.

Never a dull moment on Tvf with so many fantasy members.

Seems like everyone's either a Detective or Soldier on here.

And so many of them " Special Forces".

Frankly the only thing special is the imagination in many cases.

I went to a British ex servicemens meeting shortly after I moved out here. I was amazed at how many had served in the SAS! I had no idea it was such a big organisation!

Lots of former USMC here in Thailand, most keep a low profile. Good to see some on here. I'm one, Sgt-Vietnam 1966/67. Oh, and I was a MP for a period at Camp Hansen, Okinawa, great duty, luved the ladies when off duty. I learned more out of the Corps about shooting (gun fighting) and especially long range shooting than I ever did inside. Thailand's Border Police are para-military. I met one, a stunning lady, at the USMC B-Day Ball in Vientiane last Nov. She had 300 jumps under her belt. Married to a retired US Navy pilot. Stunning but nobody to mess with, the eyes told that story. Never completely relaxed, always alert, most folks would have never noticed. Ordinary cops in Thailand, oh no way in hell that was a purposeful shot. I wouldn't even want to be 180 behind them. Thai military does have some snipers, Thai Marines and SEALS that are supposedly pretty good. In my time in law enforcement in the states it was 2 taps center mass, one between the running lights if subject not down. None of this shoot to wound fantasy. Always "shoot to stop the action".