I was hit today for no reason.

DLang

I was commuting into BKK, all the traffic stopped.

In a line of bikes that was smoothly lane-filtering. The line had to turn between two stationary cars to go between the two lanes and not on the inside of the inside lane.

The stationary car behind where we were moving started moving up closer and closer to the vehicle in front, making it more and more difficult for the line of bikes to move through. There was no real reason for this as neither lane of cars were moving, and he was in no 'danger' of car from another lane pulling in front of him.

As I moved through he moved forward hitting my back tire, not lightly, but luckily enough not enough to pin the bike down and knock me off.

I was able to steady the bike, pull it up, pull down my facemask, nod my head and blow him a nice, slow, passionate kiss (I thought he might need some love and happiness).

Be careful out there, with Bangkok traffic getting worse and worse with more cars n the road, roads being closed due to flooding and the construction of new BTS lines etc there is more and more anger out there.

Watch yourself and stay safe. :)

Good post, but it's not just in Bangkok, I live up in the sticks, and when riding my "pedal" bike this morning, a stupid woman just pulled out in front of me though not fast enough to knock me off my bike.

The guy Tim who owns Siam Motorworld "formerly Ex Pat Motors" near Bang Na told me only a few weeks ago that he found a big difference in the drivers and riders over the last two years

in Bangkok, he said they were much improved.

Some car owners hate it that bikes get around faster and try to block us and more. But there are also bad bike riders who hit mirrors of cars when filtering to the front. So it might be something based on past experience of the hatred for bikes going faster in traffic. Personally when i filter through to the front quite often cars move out of the way and are quite considerate. I always give them a thumbs up then.

Courteous goes a Long way in heavy Traffic and give way to Emergency vehicles where you see them coming..

I saw an accident about three weeks ago, one car hit another, no serious injuries, six ambulances arrived in quick succession, long before the police.

i was hit once in a similar situation as the OP. in my case the driver was mucking about on her phone, i reckon she thought the lights had changed and started to accelerate before realising her mistake. She didn't move very far but enough to hit me and put me off balance without going down.

I haven't been hit like that, but going out of one's way to make life difficult for others on the road is certainly a Thai national past time.

It's a national pastime in a great many countries. I've been riding for 40+ years now. Encountering automobile and truck drivers who live to make life difficult for motorcyclists has pretty much been a constant regardless of country, and especially in dense traffic. I suspect the primary motivation is often because the motorcycles are moving while the four wheeled vehicles are not.

I have learned to expect people to throw things at motorcyclists, to do all that they can to prevent motorcyclists from going past them, and to have completely disregard for the motorcyclists' safety. Either for fun or out of hate. No, it doesn't happen all that often. But it happens often enough that it warrants being aware of and on the lookout for. No need to get angry when you see it. If someone doesn't want you to go between their cars, don't do it. Find another way around, or just be patient. You do not have to be at or near the front of the line, at every light. If someone doesn't want you to go past them, don't push it. There will be an opportunity later on when they're all bottled up and in no position to stop you. Unless they start shooting, which seems increasingly possible these days.

It happens often enough. Expect it. Try not to piss people off. Maybe you'll live longer.

Courteous goes a Long way in heavy Traffic and give way to Emergency vehicles where you see them coming..

I saw an accident about three weeks ago, one car hit another, no serious injuries, six ambulances arrived in quick succession, long before the police.

..a leg and arm each...a bit like tow-truck operators in Australia.

With 20 years of riding in Europe, Australia, and parts of Asia (Korea and Japan), it's only in Thailand that it happens enough to recognize it as part of their driving culture. In fact, I cannot remember ever seeing it in any of those regions.

Sure, I saw it on the Long Way Round when they were riding through Bongo-Bongo countries.

Thai's culture does a great job of repressing their anger and one way they vent this is when they get into their vehicles, in such a faceless environment it is also where they get to express their sense of ego.

Be careful out there, their driving culture is lethal due to this.

Edited by Happy Grumpy

Other mocys run into papa sometimes & down, ouch!

99% cars don' impede filtering.

In USA motorists aren't looking for and hence don't see bikes

so they smash into them as they sit, into the rear of stopped cars.

[#1 fatal method].

& what-not.

Peoples there really get mad if you filter & what-not, also.

papa like Thailand a lot.

& Laos.

Edited by papa al

There was a reason you were hit and that was you were on a bike and you were hit by a car. Surely you know that Thai motorists have no regard for anything tht is smaller then their vehicle? Couple this with an inability to drive and you are just another fly to be swatted.

Overall I think drivers in Thailand are more aware of bikes because 99 per cent of the population grew up on bikes. People get distracted they get annoyed, all sorts of reasons if riding a bike besafe

Happens in LA sometimes; idiots are just jealous being stuck in traffic but too scared to ride a bike.

I heard of some guy had a broomstick handle to stick out his car window; not sure if it was true of urban legend.

Possibly this Thai guy was distracted/texting/etc and let off his brake pedal?

Remember a few years ago when that one Thai purposely bumped a bike only to find out it was a very expensive Desmosedici.

He probably can't get any car insurance after that payout.

Remember a few years ago when that one Thai purposely bumped a bike only to find out it was a very expensive Desmosedici.

Haha, I remember that.

The Thai guy was driving a worthless old 20 yr old Volvo.

I think it was when the Panigale just came out and the lad took off past him and stopped at the red light.

The Thai Volvo driver felt he was in a race against him, got angry and purposefully smashed into the back of him not knowing that it was a 2m baht Ducati. whistling.giffacepalm.gif

DELETED

Purposefully hitting someone in order to feel good and manly... imagine the inner-torment and anger they must be suffering from. sad.png

Edited by seedy
derogatory

"In a line of bikes that was smoothly lane-filtering. The line had to turn between two stationary cars to go between the two lanes and not on the inside of the inside lane."

Why who tell you?

OP MUST to learn Thailand roads rules.

Motorcycles in Thailand are not full participants in traffic.

Motorcycle should move in the lane for motorcycles or in the left lane.

You break the rules of traffic and even indignant?blink.pngbah.gif

skip or not the motorcycle in the right lane - this is the good will of the drivers.
When I was in the car always try to admit to the right part of the left lane to leave the place for motorcyclists. I can easily leave place ahead my car for bike/scooter go to left becouse some a.. not leave place in right side road..
But when I on bike/scooter in traffic not have place for move in right side and some car do not want give me to overtake the car by left side. I just STOP and wait as car..
Why do you think that you're special and break the rules of traffic in Thailand? And complain then another broken?

Some car owners hate it that bikes get around faster and try to block us and more. But there are also bad bike riders who hit mirrors of cars when filtering to the front. So it might be something based on past experience of the hatred for bikes going faster in traffic. Personally when i filter through to the front quite often cars move out of the way and are quite considerate. I always give them a thumbs up then.

whistling.gif

Bike faster than car in new reality mast be hight skills sport rider..

Motorcycle in Thailand road user with limited rights than car

Car overtaking from the left, the ride in the lefter lane is prohibited.
It is only the good will from car drivers.
So no car driver hate you. Its you hate to wait with car and broken Thailand roads rulesrolleyes.gif

^^ Er.... no.

All the motorbikes were still in left hand lane, as close to the curb as possible. smile.png

The line had to turn between two stationary cars to go between the two lanes and not on the inside of the inside lane. © Dlang

Are you remember what are you writing?rolleyes.gif

You start to break the rules and complain 'that the car broke the rules?thumbsup.gif

clap2.gif

Yes, the lanes of car.... car lanes... not road lanes.

The left hand lane had the cars right against the curb, so the motorbike went outside them, while still in the left-hand road lane - ie, not crossing over the white lines and into the outer road lane (which was full of cars up to the white line dividing line anyway). All motorbikes were in the lefthand inner lane, as close as they could be to the curb. smile.png

DELETED

Edited by seedy
flaming

Yes, the lanes of car.... car lanes... not road lanes.

The left hand lane had the cars right against the curb, so the motorbike went outside them, while still in the left-hand road lane - ie, not crossing over the white lines and into the outer road lane (which was full of cars up to the white line dividing line anyway). All motorbikes were in the lefthand inner lane, as close as they could be to the curb. smile.png

Seems your poor English ability is the problem. smile.png

good luck with that. thumbsup.gifsmile.png

Left hand lane had car parking? Or its only temporarily stoped in hard traffic ?

If last you should be read artikle 2 section 44

2.OvertakingandPassing

Section 44

[When overtaking, the driver shall overtake from the right side, keep safe distance, and return to the left-hand side lane promptly.]

And article 1 section 43 a,d,e,h

Section 43

No driver shall drive the vehicle:

c. in a manner that obstructs the traffic

d. with carelessness or recklessness which may cause danger to persons or property

e. in a manner not normally practiced in driving a vehicle or while unable to see the way in front or at the back or either/both sides clearly enough for safety

h. without thinking about the safety or suffering of other persons.

What you do its call cuting

you even not change line but.. You obviously overtaken vehicle to the left(in same lane) and then stood in front of him(becouse want overtraking/pass car on left side lane even not change lane). So the car was forced to slow down but could not resulting in slightly touched your motorcycle.

You CUTING.. so without thinking about safety another persone,,

Its OP angry

Really? huh.png

I'm not sure that you understand what he wrote.

smile.png

I am write bad.. not read..

Belive me its to differents thiks.

Try to learn language with different rules of grammar of your native lang.. and you understan what about i talking.thumbsup.gif

OP cuting Car.. drivers car I might not notice at the time.. In the end touched OP bike..

So why NO reason?rolleyes.gif

Edited by ardokano

OP cuting Car...

Not from what the OP says.

"The line (of motorbikes) had to turn between two stationary cars (before moving on)"

"The stationary car behind where we were moving started moving up closer and closer to the vehicle in front, making it more and more difficult for the line of bikes to move through. There was no real reason for this as neither lane of cars were moving, and he was in no 'danger' of car from another lane pulling in front of him."

Nothing at all about cutting off anybody. smile.png

Nope, sorry to say, you obviously misunderstand/don't understand what was posted.

Edited by Happy Grumpy

OP cuting Car...

Not from what the OP says.

"The line (of motorbikes) had to turn between two stationary cars (before moving on)"

"The stationary car behind where we were moving started moving up closer and closer to the vehicle in front, making it more and more difficult for the line of bikes to move through. There was no real reason for this as neither lane of cars were moving, and he was in no 'danger' of car from another lane pulling in front of him."

Nothing at all about cutting off anybody. smile.png

Nope, sorry to say, you obviously misunderstand/don't understand what was posted.

Line motobike TO TURN BETWEN TWO CAR(car not parking just wait in traffic)

car behind where we were moving started moving up closer and closer

Car can moving he i tgeir lane and look distantion to another car.

Bike turn to lilne where start moved car so cuting.

Bike OP must wait.

Car can start move for many reason. Driver car may be look traffic light change, may be look other cars began to move ahead. Driver may just accidentally released the brake pedal. Driver of the car has left himself place to another Car for safty reason. the place was so big that the motorcycle could accommodate. But that does not mean that the motorcycle OP can hold its undercutting car which began to move.

Why do you have such insulting assumptions ?
And its not only about me.
you have no reason violate the rules of the road, without respect for the Safety of other road users as a result of what you have slightly touched the car, but you say that the car hit you for nit reason?

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

facepalm.gif

1) You're wrong.

2) You don't know what you're talking about.

3) You don't know what we're talking about.

give it up Ard. laugh.png

Prove itrolleyes.gif

Prove you can change/come on moved line/way another vehicle on road .rolleyes.gif

Edited by ardokano