We are free

The pound fell 10,% against the dollar,it is already climbing back its 6.5,% down now

First there is the panic reaction, making the decline even worse, then the people start buying because they see a profit opportunity since the currency has declined a lot in a very short period, and the currency recovers a bit.

But next week will show which way it will go in the short term.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing is for sure: today´s vote will change the EU forever, probably destroying it for good....

So more good news

Only someone with a huge degree of arrogance can say that but enjoy your perceived "victory", enjoy the party as long as it lasts.....

Is it arrogance to be free to make our own laws our own decisions our own destiny? Strange to think not,

The Labour Party has cost us our membership of the EU

I see this as a sad day for our country.

Corbyn was useless and deserves his upcoming dismissal as leader of the Labour Party.

So we will have Boris as PM (there is nobody else to challenge him,) Michael Gove, no Thersa May, God forbid....is that what we all want?

Hung by his own petard.

He should never have called for a referendum.

The country is now in chaos

Referendum was part of the election manifesto he had no choice, country is not in 'chaos' rather more jubilant. If Cameron had even partly kept his promise to keep mass immigration in check he would have won, all his own fault.

+1...........been coming a long time,mass immigration in my home town alone reached saturation point a few years ago but our leaders would not listen,they bloody well will have to do now.

As an afternote it was stated on the BBC news earlier today that there are over ten and a half THOUSAND bureaucrats in Brussels being paid in excess of the salary we pay our PM..............the mind boggles.

The baht and other currencies will bounce back as its just a knee jerk reaction but the pound will probably continue to dive in the coming months

Oh please. If you had any reason to think that, or any knowledge, you'd be making millions. If others thought this likely to happen it would already be in the price. The 2060 gilt is up over £10 this morning. The markets think the pound is a better bet long-term than it was before. There's green across the board.

Hopefully it will give power back to our own government without the hindrance from Brussels. Hopefully more jobs will be created by having companies returning to England. The pound will take a beating at the beginning but I am sure that it will do a turn around in a few years and will be just as strong if not stronger than it has been in the last 10 years

Pound will be as strong as in the last 10 years?

As far as I'm aware the last 10 years it has continuously lost value.

why spoil with facts a nice fairy tale? gigglem.gif

One thing is for sure: today´s vote will change the EU forever, probably destroying it for good....

So more good news

Only someone with a huge degree of arrogance can say that but enjoy your perceived "victory", enjoy the party as long as it lasts.....

Wow.

The referendum is over but the personal insults never seem to stop.

The Bremainders lost, the Brexits won.

Accept the result and live with it.

It was those arrogant 'luvvies' from the south that lost as their northern countrymen finally decided to take back their country.

Excellent result. Hope the global elites get tossed out in America this November as well smile.png

Edited by Boon Mee

Well the baht has already dropped substantialy , so that's the only thing that concerns me. So if you need to withdraw funds to transfer here to live on, your standard of living is going to fall especially in the short term.

I can see many ex-pats having to return to the UK as they won't be able to afford to live here any longer.

Any Brit that doesn't have 500,000bht in his Thai bank account shouldn't be living here.

Too many raggedy foreigners trying to eak out a meagre existence in Thailand.

I am not a Brit but would say any Brit with only 500k baht in his account better have darn good health/accident insurance in place. ;)

I am always amazed at what expats here think is a good nest egg.

It is one thing to have $15k total funds in the West saved where you have local govt. help/safety net if need be

It is wholly another thing to be in a foreign country when TSHTF & they will only stabilize & hold you till bills which mount quickly are paid.

Dont get me wrong I have lived years here & know things can be cheap...

But the reality of a health problem or accident here makes that 500K amount trivial

Well the baht has already dropped substantialy , so that's the only thing that concerns me. So if you need to withdraw funds to transfer here to live on, your standard of living is going to fall especially in the short term.

I can see many ex-pats having to return to the UK as they won't be able to afford to live here any longer.

Any Brit that doesn't have 500,000bht in his Thai bank account shouldn't be living here.

If you do have a load of baht, and have to return home, it'll be worth more now. If this was a 1960's Bond movie he wouldn't be slapping a suitcase full of Swiss Francs on the table, it would be a rucksack full of Thai baht.

Might be nice for anyone on the fence about returning home & lucky timing on the exchange rate.

We recently decided to return to the US in a month or two & have been transferring baht back into USD via TT

Hard reality seeing we lost around 20% in exchange rates compared to 4/5 years ago

So more good news

please enlighten me how a destroyed EU and the subsequent good news affect the life of a British retiree in Thailand.

I am not a Brit but would say any Brit with only 500k baht in his account better have darn good health/accident insurance in place. wink.png

It is one thing to have $15k total funds in the West saved where you have local govt. help/safety net if need be

It is wholly another thing to be in a foreign country when TSHTF & they will only stabilize & hold you till bills which mount quickly are paid.

But the reality of a health problem or accident here makes that 500K amount trivial

BINGO! thumbsup.gif

post-35218-0-43945300-1466820282_thumb.j

What a load of garbage you do spout, I keep the bulk of my money in the UK, one of the reasons being that no Thai who walks out in front of me when I am riding my motorbike

is going to get any money from me, or very little.

Imagine the scenario, every Brit, or any Westerner having at least 500.000 Bt in his/her Thai bank account will have a lot of Thais looking for a share of it in some way or other.

This is not Thai bashing, it is based on many reports I have read and heard about in the ten years I have lived here, and would apply to almost any non Western country.

Subject change but still in topic I reckon.

UK passports have 'European Union' on the front cover. Will we soon have to get new passports and will the price of them go up?

Will the 15 or 30 day visa exempt change. Will Thai Imm' notice?

How will the border change between Eire and NI?

Edited by overherebc
I hope so too, the Aussie dollar has dropped too, I cannot understand why, maybe just panic and it will climb back soon.

1. Reduced consumption in UK due to fear

2. Reduced imports by UK

3. AU exports drop so exporter profits decrease causing a minor chain reaction making overall consumption drop in AU

4. Risk of interest rate drop to prop up consumption causing AUD holders to drop the currency reducing it further

5. US exports drop too so exporter profits decrease causing a minor chain reaction making overall consumption drop in US

6. Perceiving this, shareholders move money from the sharemarket to Treasuries causing the sharemarket to drop and demand for USD based treasuries to rise causing the USD to rise (the US is unique in that when it's sharemarkets drop, it's currency rises due to the movement of capital from the sharemarket to treasuries).

I am not a Brit but would say any Brit with only 500k baht in his account better have darn good health/accident insurance in place. wink.png

BINGO! thumbsup.gif

pacemaker.JPG

Hence the reason Thai Imm' ask for 800,000 in the bank for retirees. To be honest I reckon that's an absolute minimum. In addition a good accident policy should be required.

"I am not a Brit but would say any Brit with only 500k baht in his account better have darn good health/accident insurance in place".

I have, but if I hadn't, and needed some kind of surgery, and could not travel back to the UK, my wife would be able to access my UK bank account.

And don't start spouting off about any Westerner not having health insurance in Thailand or any other country when people in these countries including

Thailand are getting free medical treatment in the UK, and if not free, are just refusing to pay for it as they could not afford it, or don't even have a British bank account.

Edited by possum1931

What a load of garbage you do spout, I keep the bulk of my money in the UK, one of the reasons being that no Thai who walks out in front of me when I am riding my motorbike

Imagine the scenario, every Brit, or any Westerner having at least 500.000 Bt in his/her Thai bank account will have a lot of Thais looking for a share of it in some way or other.

This is not Thai bashing, it is based on many reports I have read and heard about in the ten years I have lived here, and would apply to almost any non Western country.

As far as I'm aware most of those on marriage or retirement visa will have this amount in their Thai bank account

The Labour Party has cost us our membership of the EU

I see this as a sad day for our country.

Corbyn was useless and deserves his upcoming dismissal as leader of the Labour Party.

So we will have Boris as PM (there is nobody else to challenge him,) Michael Gove, no Thersa May, God forbid....is that what we all want?

It could be worse, you could get a Blair type, or even worse again, a Brown, bigger hypocrites than all the other politicians put together.

Edited by possum1931

UK passports have 'European Union' on the front cover. Will we soon have to get new passports and will the price of them go up?

Yes, you will have a new passport when the withdrawal will be official.
But it will cost you nothing because in the new Great Britain at last liberated of Community burden, tomorrow. everything will be free..rolleyes.gif
Edited by happy Joe

As far as I'm aware most of those on marriage or retirement visa will have this amount in their Thai bank account

Most of them will have, but a lot of them like myself, have a non emigrant marriage visa and do 90 day border runs.

In my case it's a good excuse for doing motorbike road trips.

Most of them will have, but a lot of them like myself, have a non emigrant marriage visa and do 90 day border runs.

In my case it's a good excuse for doing motorbike road trips.

A non emigrant marriage visa, is that something you just invented on the spot?

How are you allowed to do so many border runs? And by the way I doubt that there are a LOT with such a visa, if it even exists, because the beauty of an extension based on marriage is that you don't need to leave the country anymore.

' A non emigrant marriage visa, is that something you just invented on the spot?

How are you allowed to do so many border runs? And by the way I doubt that there are a LOT with such a visa, if it even exists, because the beauty of an extension based on marriage is that you don't need to leave the country anymore. '

Sorry to correct you but a non immigrant visa based on marriage to a Thai national is a very popular option for many expats living here and there are probably as many people doing 90 day visa runs as there are doing extensions. The reasons for this is that many expats, even those with the requisite funds, find the bureaucracy involved in an extension excessively intrusive . I often meet people who have given up on extensions and opt for a visa run as a matter of personal preference and the opportunity to have a mini break away from home.

Different strokes for different folks.

Berty. you are thinking of the marriage extensions of which you need 400.000 in your Thai bank account.

The other method is go to Savakhannet, pay 5000Bt with the proper credentials, it lasts up to 15 months

then go to the border for a stamp every 90 days.

I for one hope that other countries vote to leave and the EU collapses in on its self. Then from the ashes something like the EEC and the EFTA rises with a select few countries, as it was before Bureaucrats got their fat fingers in the pie and ruined it.

No, the baht has risen. The move hasn't really been that violent. 4%, I think.

It will have to wait until late monday.

I don't think anyone really knows what the exchange rate will be until then.

Yes, you will have a new passport when the withdrawal will be official.

But it will cost you nothing because in the new Great Britain at last liberated of Community burden, tomorrow. everything will be free..rolleyes.gif

I would love to see the big blue 90 page ones come back.

Picture two Non 0 visa stickers on one page.☺