EU referendum: BBC forecasts UK votes to leave

webfact

Why so many sour losers on here. You all proclain democracy but complain when you lose. 3.5% is a margin . Ceste la viv. Suck it up. What if in 20 years it turns out this is the best thing ever. I bet you will walk around chests puffed out telling your Grandkids you supported it.

Free Britain proud to be descended from it. Glad they are not bowing to Europe or American threats. Suck it up

You are not British. Or in the EU. What's it to you?

Yes the result is clear. No complaint.

But in order to win a match, you have to do more than score the first goal.

Just for your information I hold both NZ and UK Citizenship. What is it to me. Very important

kiwiken

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The UK holds the cards now, it does need to invoke article 50 any time soon and it can stall until next year when elections are held in the Netherlands, France and Germany, when likely eurosceptic governments will be formed. I don't believe Brexit will happen if more favourable Europeans governments are formed in 2017, but Hollande, Juncker and Merkel can't force the UK out. Contagion is more likely the longer the UK stalls invoking article 50 and that will benefit the UK's position.

The Euro powers have tried to frighten the UK before and it never works!

All we did was hold a referendum. We are not obliged to act on it in any given time frame. It makes sense to consult, and explore the best options. More Brussels bullying. You can see how this thing happened can't you?

Perhaps in the intervening time, EU potentates might want to reflect on how it is that a modern, pro European, state has been pushed to do this.

The UK holds the cards now, it does need to invoke article 50 any time soon and it can stall until next year when elections are held in the Netherlands, France and Germany, when likely eurosceptic governments will be formed. I don't believe Brexit will happen if more favourable Europeans governments are formed in 2017, but Hollande, Juncker and Merkel can't force the UK out. Contagion is more likely the longer the UK stalls invoking article 50 and that will benefit the UK's position.

All we did was hold a referendum. We are not obliged to act on it in any given time frame. It makes sense to consult, and explore the best options. More Brussels bullying. You can see how this thing happened can't you?

Perhaps in the intervening time, EU potentates might want to reflect on how it is that a modern, pro European, state has been pushed to do this.

Best quote I've read during this whole referendum.

The referedum is not legally binding. Cameron failed to get a good deal and had to go when he lost, Farage has been sidelined already and Sturgeon can't negotiate anything as it's not a sovereign country.

The longer we stall the better, they can't dictate the pace until we invoke the article and by then we have built up allies to our vision. Germany doesn't want the second biggest contributor to the EU budget leaving and 20% of the EU's GDP leaving, Germany will have to pick up the slack, France is crippled with strikes.

Edited by tribalfusion001

"The UK holds the cards now," - OK can I just stop you there? No argument, I just feel you are about to spout a load of nonsense.

I lifted this from the Guardian.

France’s foreign minister, Jean-Marc Ayrault, said Britain “must trigger” article 50 – the procedure for leaving the EU, adding that it was urgent Cameron step aside for a new leader to manage the transition out of the union: “A new prime minister must be designated, that will take a few days.”
It would “not be respectful” for Britain to delay the process, Ayrault said. “It’s a question of respect.” On Friday, Cameron said he would delay the start of Brexit negotiations until his successor as prime minister is in place in the autumn.

"Respect", yeah right.

Maybe he ought to respect Britain's right when and how to choose a new PM. None of his damn business. Maybe this Brexit thing isn't such a bad idea!

France’s foreign minister, Jean-Marc Ayrault, said Britain “must trigger” article 50 – the procedure for leaving the EU, adding that it was urgent Cameron step aside for a new leader to manage the transition out of the union: “A new prime minister must be designated, that will take a few days.”

It would “not be respectful” for Britain to delay the process, Ayrault said. “It’s a question of respect.” On Friday, Cameron said he would delay the start of Brexit negotiations until his successor as prime minister is in place in the autumn.

"Respect", yeah right.

Maybe he ought to respect Britain's right when and how to choose a new PM. None of his damn business. Maybe this Brexit thing isn't such a bad idea!

I read that, nonsense and what a good state France is in, crippled by strikes and full of football hooligans!

"Respect", yeah right.

They're terrified of contagion.

A friends brother just moved to France. On Friday the 24th of all the possible days!

Anyway, he and his Missus drove down through France in their British registered car. Whenever they stopped, French people were coming up to them and asking if they were British, to which they tentatively replied, yes. "Congratulations, you did it!" "Thank you for being so courageous!" It appeared to the chap (who was a remain voter) that Blighty actually made the right choice and the EU is roundly hated by the French.

Edited by MJP

The reason French government want a quick decision is the rise of the right and Marine Le Pen, the longer this drags on, the more likely that she will win next year. De Gaulle vetoed us from joining in 1962 and they still think the EU is their club hence alternating between Brussells and Strasbourg.

Why don't you tell us why do you think so?

No point Oli. You're so pro-EU there's just no point.

It's because I'm a fascist, racist, xenophobe who hates black and Polish people obviously. So we'll leave it at that.

It's because I'm a fascist, racist, xenophobe who hates black and Polish people obviously. So we'll leave it at that.

Really? I thought that having a debate is to seek for a common ground between different ideologies.

Yes, you are most likely all that what you said. I'm asking why? I'm also giving you the space to explain your thoughts.

I might even agree with many of your thought as I'm not one of the so pro-EU idiots, who have forgotten to listen others.

So please, tell us what do you really think.

EU potentates might want to reflect on how it is that a modern, pro European, state has been pushed to do this.

If the hat fits.......

Really? I thought that having a debate is to seek for a common ground between different ideologies.

Yes, you are most likely all that what you said. I'm asking why? I'm also giving you the space to explain your thoughts.

I might even agree with many of your thought as I'm not one of the so pro-EU idiots, who have forgotten to listen others.

So please, tell us what do you really think.

Okay, I voted Leave not for the UK but for Europe, against the EU elite who are destroying the place. I love Europe. I hate the EU.

As for your other comment . . . F YOU!

Nothing is going to happen for months apart from Hollande, Juncker and Merkel stewing over the summer! The markets will quieten down, England will lose in quarter finals or maybe beat the French and lose to Germans in the semi final. The Scots will fade away, the London lefties will go to festivals and fawn over Jezza.

Okay, I voted Leave not for the UK but for Europe, against the EU elite who are destroying the place. I love Europe. I hate the EU.

Did your vote serve what you actually wanted? Or did it actually play against you?

Some people wish to blame others for our misadventures. Well, not all of us. Many of use simply understand our own lazy ways of doing things, and leave it to that.

As for your other comment.. I love you too!

Edited by Guest

Did your vote serve what you actually wanted? Or did it actually play against you?

Some people wish to blame others for our misadventures. Well not all of us. Many of use simply understand our own lazy ways of doing things and leave it to that.

Europe was always an excuse for UK and for any other EU countries. Most countries understood that it was just a smoke screen and got back to fixing our own economies.

There is no EU elite.

As for your other comment.. I love you too!

It played against me personally. Most of my post-tax UK income goes on supporting my three adopted children in Thailand and their immediate family.

It's clear the EU is becoming less and less democratic and more and more dictatorial in an ever growing ivory tower whilst the rest of the people in Europe increasingly suffer. The Euro and the single interest policy is a disaster. None of this will work.

I love you too and I'm sorry I said that.

Edited by MJP

I am absolutely gutted about this decision to leave.

Firstly this should never have gone to a referendum. To allow ill-informed individuals to vote on such a complicated matter was always going to be a mistake. With very little economic reasons to leave it was always going to come down to emotion and the scare mongering of the Leave campaign meant that Bridget and Geoff in Sunderland thought the UK was going to be overrun by immigrants and voted accordingly. Cameron has royally <deleted> this up and must now resign. His fear of Nigel Farage and the racists in his own party forced the UK into this and now everyone will pay the price for his conceit. Also expect the Scottish nationalist to insist on another referendum as Scotland voted overwhelmingly to stay and will now insist on independence. And being Scottish myself, I hope this time they get it.

Its done now and as usual life will go on but why this even got to this stage will be questioned for generations to come and the consequences felt throughout the whole of the UK for many, many years.

Agree,the peasants should never have been allowed the vote. They should have been restricted to touching their forlock to the mill owners and assorted gentry.

What arrogance,and you wonder why the vote went against you.

I voted to leave because the EU is Anti-democratic. Got people in Brussels making law that no MEPs can change and dictating what we do. This vote has given us a chance to get our democracy back. The markets will return to normal and the pound will gain strength soon. When the likes of Merkel dictates to Europe that is just wrong.

If the EU had helped Cameron and listened to the people, we would not be in this position. Now we will see the dominoes affect across Europe because the EU does not serve the people of Europe.

Edited by TommyUK1960

Calm down guys. Keep this in perspective. It is a very long road. In my opinion the process will be scuppered.

Yep, totally agree. I voted Leave, but I would accept a better deal if offered. Some of the other EU leaders have treated the UK as outsiders because we did not enter into the Eurozone, we advised against it and did not take part, look at the results 16 years later, it's not good for all of them!

It played against me personally. Most of my post-tax UK income goes on supporting my three adopted children in Thailand and their immediate family.

It's clear the EU is becoming less and less democratic and more and more dictatorial in an ever growing ivory tower whilst the rest of the people in Europe increasingly suffer. The Euro and the single interest policy is a disaster. None of this will work.

I personally do not even care, nor even notice who is running the EU show. What I care is the results they provide. If the once who have been eager to get power, deliver, they are ok. I'm quite sure the is plenty of wannabies who wish to become the top of EU. Therefore it's likely that not anyone with low iq would get to the position.

UK is not an ideal society when looked from outside of UK. We see your Lard Sugar's and other idiotic people who have gained power in your society. We think, why the &lt;deleted&gt; did you ever allow those people to get power in your country.

EU has it's faults. Those faults need to be addressed and fixed. I'm certain we'll manage to do so.

The reason French government want a quick decision is the rise of the right and Marine Le Pen, the longer this drags on, the more likely that she will win next year. De Gaulle vetoed us from joining in 1962 and they still think the EU is their club hence alternating between Brussells and Strasbourg.

It will not win.
She seduces on popular themes such as "France for the French" or "Arabs out" exactly as your leaders Brexit.
But the wisest French have always refused to give her a bit of power. Not even an MP seat or Mayor of a major city. In fact, she serves as valve to the discontent of the poor.

I personally do not even care, nor even notice who is running the EU show. What I care is the results they provide. If the once who have been eager to get power, deliver, they are ok. I'm quite sure the is plenty of wannabies who wish to become the top of EU. Therefore it's likely that not anyone with low iq would get to the position.

UK is not an ideal society when looked from outside of UK. We see your Lard Sugar's and other idiotic people who have gained power in your society. We think, why the <deleted> did you ever allow those people to get power in your country.

EU has it's faults. Those faults need to be addressed and fixed. I'm certain we'll manage to do so.

Sugars' sort of Trump'esque in a perverse kind of way.

I really hope the EU does reform, Oli. I don't think further federalist integration is the answer though. Whole thing needs to be rebuilt from the bottom up rather than the top down.

Really, don't see much reform happening unless eurosceptics take power in countries. The socialists will want more integration, not less. The UK should never of have joined in the first place.

I voted to leave because the EU is Anti-democratic. Got people in Brussels making law that no MEPs can change and dictating what we do. This vote has given us a chance to get our democracy back. The markets will return to normal and the pound will gain strength soon. When the likes of Merkel dictates to Europe that is just wrong.

If the EU had helped Cameron and listened to the people, we would not be in this position. Now we will see the dominoes affect across Europe because the EU does not serve the people of Europe.

Is that really so? I thought that we all send our own, elected representatives to represent ourselves at the EU. Heck I have voted many times, did I do it for nothing? I also voted many times for my parliament. Did I do it for nothing?

I'm doubtful some Tommy from UK is able to teach me the basics of democracy.

I thought the EU is all about doing things together. Having the negotiation power of far more people, than our own single countries could ever have.

I actually start to think it's actually a good thing that the whiners got out of the EU. Now we can get things done.

Good bye Britain. Thanks for all the Fish (and chips).

I am absolutely gutted about this decision to leave.

Firstly this should never have gone to a referendum. To allow ill-informed individuals to vote on such a complicated matter was always going to be a mistake. With very little economic reasons to leave it was always going to come down to emotion and the scare mongering of the Leave campaign meant that Bridget and Geoff in Sunderland thought the UK was going to be overrun by immigrants and voted accordingly. Cameron has royally <deleted> this up and must now resign. His fear of Nigel Farage and the racists in his own party forced the UK into this and now everyone will pay the price for his conceit. Also expect the Scottish nationalist to insist on another referendum as Scotland voted overwhelmingly to stay and will now insist on independence. And being Scottish myself, I hope this time they get it.

Its done now and as usual life will go on but why this even got to this stage will be questioned for generations to come and the consequences felt throughout the whole of the UK for many, many years.

Agree,the peasants should never have been allowed the vote. They should have been restricted to touching their forlock to the mill owners and assorted gentry.

What arrogance,and you wonder why the vote went against you.

i have accepted defeat without complaint. that's democracy

BUT, consider this

72% of people with a degree voted remain

70% of people aged between 18 and 30 voted remain

65% of demographic classes AB voted remain

That leaves me feeling slightly queasy.