EU referendum: BBC forecasts UK votes to leave

webfact

finally FREEDOM, ,it s historical day for all nations, thank you all Brits, bye bye massive immigration, bye bye Turkey with its 90 million people, bye bye the criminal gangs of eastern Europe, if EU leaders wanted peace in the world they should have supported Assad and Russia and not side with the terrorists.

GREAT BRITAIN will survive and become stronger it sets the example for the rest of us, time for a change.

Great Britain will not survive the moment Scotland votes for independence. United Kingdom will disappear if Northern Ireland opts for the union with the Republic.

All that will be left will be United England and Wales! Oops, I forgot, England is NOT united, It should be "United London and a few counties". Congratulations!

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess Scotland had it's chance a couple of years ago. Rest of Uk has to agree to referendum, otherwise it means nothing. N.Ireland does not seem interested. Can't keep having referedums every time they don't agree with something.

I doubt Article 50 will be enacted somehow. Majority too slim for one thing. N.Ireland and Scotland not wanting it. Absurdity is that by the final signature the people that mostly voted leave will be gone, and we'd be doing something the majority doesn't want.

If we want associate status with EU, then we would have to accept conditions as onerous as the ones now. Very difficult to just turn our back on major trading partners. I just don't see this thing happening.

Note "Under this "divorce settlement", as some have called it, the UK and EU must agree how to divide assets, resolve EU budget issues and set out the future rights of EU nationals in the UK and vice versa.

The settlement requires approval by a majority of EU members, plus the European Parliament and UK Parliament."

Edited by mommysboy

Why so many sour losers on here. You all proclain democracy but complain when you lose. 3.5% is a margin . Ceste la viv. Suck it up. What if in 20 years it turns out this is the best thing ever. I bet you will walk around chests puffed out telling your Grandkids you supported it.

Free Britain proud to be descended from it. Glad they are not bowing to Europe or American threats. Suck it up

finally FREEDOM, ,it s historical day for all nations, thank you all Brits, bye bye massive immigration, bye bye Turkey with its 90 million people, bye bye the criminal gangs of eastern Europe, if EU leaders wanted peace in the world they should have supported Assad and Russia and not side with the terrorists.

GREAT BRITAIN will survive and become stronger it sets the example for the rest of us, time for a change.

Marco, indeed you are funny.

What would you do without your immigrants, eg. Polish???

And 90 millions Turkish means 90 millions new customers.

And so you would have supported Assad who killed his own people...?

Go on drinking laddie

But the Turkish people will still be there. We will still be able to trade with them, if they wish. But now we will control our rules, not the unelected in Brussels.

You may remember that in the last GE, UKIP garnered 3.88 million votes, which secured them one seat at Westminster, by the numbers that should have been more like 80 seats.

To say the electorate are ill-informed is an insult. Even the Labour Party has been highjacked by the 'metropolitan-elite', I think that many of the working classes, whom that party is meant to represent, feel abandoned by them.

A vote for Brexit is the British working man's way of sticking two fingers up to the ruling "elite". Ted Heath sold the EU to the British on a lie, saying it would only ever be a trading bloc. It now has;

3 Presidents

2 Parliaments

1 Commission

1 Supreme Court (To which even the highest British courts are subordinate).

1 Anthem

1 Written Constitution

1 Central Bank

If one is to be described as "far-right" for wanting to take back control of ones country, then so be it.

I am absolutely gutted about this decision to leave.
Firstly this should never have gone to a referendum. To allow ill-informed individuals to vote on such a complicated matter was always going to be a mistake. With very little economic reasons to leave it was always going to come down to emotion and the scare mongering of the Leave campaign meant that Bridget and Geoff in Sunderland thought the UK was going to be overrun by immigrants and voted accordingly. Cameron has royally <deleted> this up and must now resign. His fear of Nigel Farage and the racists in his own party forced the UK into this and now everyone will pay the price for his conceit. Also expect the Scottish nationalist to insist on another referendum as Scotland voted overwhelmingly to stay and will now insist on independence. And being Scottish myself, I hope this time they get it.
It’s done now and as usual life will go on but why this even got to this stage will be questioned for generations to come and the consequences felt throughout the whole of the UK for many, many years.

Edited by Andrew65

I guess Scotland had it's chance a couple of years ago. Rest of Uk has to agree to referendum, otherwise it means nothing. N.Ireland does not seem interested. Can't keep having referedums every time they don't agree with something.

I doubt Article 50 will be enacted somehow. Majority too slim for one thing. N.Ireland and Scotland not wanting it. Absurdity is that by the final signature the people that mostly voted leave will be gone, and we'd be doing something the majority doesn't want.

If we want associate status with EU, then we would have to accept conditions as onerous as the ones now. Very difficult to just turn our back on major trading partners. I just don't see this thing happening.

Note "Under this "divorce settlement", as some have called it, the UK and EU must agree how to divide assets, resolve EU budget issues and set out the future rights of EU nationals in the UK and vice versa.

The settlement requires approval by a majority of EU members, plus the European Parliament and UK Parliament."

What can the EU do if the majority of the EU members want to keep the UK in the EU and the UK wants out.

The UK will simply leave at the correct time.

The alternative is that the UK stays and VETOES every single piece of legislation that the EU puts forward, as they are legally allowed to do now.

What can the EU do if the majority of the EU members want to keep the UK in the EU and the UK wants out.

The alternative is that the UK stays and VETOES every single piece of legislation that the EU puts forward, as they are legally allowed to do now.

"The settlement requires approval by a majority of EU members, plus the European Parliament and UK Parliament."

Did Frau Merkel seek the approval of these entities before throwing open the doors to the EU to millions of third world refugees?

No, thought not!

Part of the problem with the EU is that we end up with some of the bad things, as well as good things.

Weren't Frau Merkel & her colleagues implying that the other EU 27 should take their fair share of a problem that was, it would seem, solely the making of the German government. Remember the biggest issue of all with regard to the referendum was mass immigration.

Edited by Andrew65

I'll raise a glass or two tonight.

Time to put the great back into Great Britain.

my gut feeling is, gentlemen, that the exact opposite will occur.

your 'great britain' will split apart. scottland will separate and re - unite with the eu. what will happen to london, the financial hub of europe?

what means do you have to make you great, (again?)?

and apart from that, given the magnitude of this event, the margin of 'win' over 'loose' is way too slim. there will be a lot of disgruntled brits having to live with and suffer from this short sighted decision.

72% of the population turned out to vote and leave won with a 4% victory. That's hardly a slim verdict, rather, quite a resounding victory for the leave campaign.

Think about it - the referendum only required one tick...so it could have had one box only - tick the box if you want to leave - then all the remainers could have stayed at home and if the Brexiteers got more than half of the electorate (46 million) we would have left.

as it is they only got half of those that voted which is in no way a majority of the electorate - so no democracy there then?

joking apart no referendum is legally binding in UK as we live in a parliamentary democracy - that means the sovereignty of parliament .....so it still has to be passed by a parliament in which 3/4 are anti leave......

It is also trying to drag 3 countries with it that have voted to stay.

so glib statements about "democracy" are really just a sign of lack of thought.

Edited by cumgranosalum

PS - putting the "great" back in Britain is a bit of a false hope as it originally was first adopted to describe the newly United Kingdoms of Scotland and England - as Brexit will almost certainly mean the end of that Union, it is actually doing the opposite and taking the great out of Britain.

It was also used to differentiate between Brittany in France and the Island across the water

Edited by cumgranosalum

"The settlement requires approval by a majority of EU members, plus the European Parliament and UK Parliament."

Did Frau Merkel seek the approval of these entities before throwing open the doors to the EU to millions of third world refugees?

No, thought not!

Part of the problem with the EU is that we end up with some of the bad things, as well as good things.

Weren't Frau Merkel & her colleagues implying that the other EU 27 should take their fair share of a problem that was, it would seem, solely the making of the German government. Remember the biggest issue of all with regard to the referendum was mass immigration.

You clearly don'y understand parliamentary sovereignty or the REFUGEE crisis which has little to do with the EU - it seems even after the referendum Brexiteers have little or no idea what they have voted for

Why so many sour losers on here. You all proclain democracy but complain when you lose. 3.5% is a margin . Ceste la viv. Suck it up. What if in 20 years it turns out this is the best thing ever. I bet you will walk around chests puffed out telling your Grandkids you supported it.

Free Britain proud to be descended from it. Glad they are not bowing to Europe or American threats. Suck it up

I am ambivalent.

I'm saying this is the real world, and there is limits to what can be done with such a slim mandate, and the House of Commons dragging it's heels, and 2 countries in the Union not even wanting to leave. This won't happen is just my guess. It's a useless win. There will be a whole host of problems. It'll be shelved.

Edited by mommysboy

I was talking about getting it through the UK Parliament when clearly the majority of members want UK to remain.

Hey welcome to the real world ! As a Norwegian I welcome you to think outside of the big EU bubble. Even if we are not a member state of the EU , we do belong to EEA (European Economic Area) and European Free Trade Association (EFTA).

As a Norwegian I can still apply for work in any EU country, i have almost the same rights as any EU citizen . So whats the difference? We can't vote for changes inside the EU , but I couldn't care less.

This is not the end of the world you know.

No, thought not!

You clearly don'y understand parliamentary sovereignty or the REFUGEE crisis which has little to do with the EU - it seems even after the referendum Brexiteers have little or no idea what they have voted for

The refugee problem had nothing to do with the EU, until Frau Merkel invited it into the EU, by the million.

Amazing how the 'left' refuse to accept anything when they are over-ruled by the people. Protests and complaints and insults and abuse.

The people are going back to 'the right' - it was a natural consequence of being forcibly dragged too far 'left' by the vested interests.

It had to happen in UK and it will happen all across the EU - and it is the right thing to happen.

Because - the alternative would be like Nazi Germany when the people had a gutfull and they went too far right too quickly.

The people of UK and Europe are learning (yet again) that the politicians cannot solve the problems they created.

Germany was a problem from 1930 and the politicians of Europe did nothing for nearly 10 years - and then it was too late.

This is the worst example of how frustrated people can over-react to their lives being oppressed unfairly,

and how incompetent politicians (guided/manipulated by their vested interests) ruin real people's lives.

There are now systems in place in all Democracies that allow the people to more easily change things that are wrong.

What started in UK will spread across the western world - yet again the UK will be the impetus for the civilisation of the world.

Prediction (5 years). The UK economy will recover and move forward strongly - break from EU starts within 1 year finished within 2.

Holland and France and Greece and Denmark and Sweden will vote to leave the EU.

Prediction (10 years): Scotland will be independent. North and South Ireland will be single independent. England and Wales will remain united.

The United Kingdom will be England and Wales and the other territories.

The Monarchy of United Kingdom will adjust - as it has since the 1600s.

The UK, Scotland and Ireland will form a common block covering things like Defence, Trade, Legals/Courts, Passports, Finances and Other Common Institutions.

Prediction (10-15 years): The EU will dissolve (and Euro) back to being what it was originally intended to be - a common free trade block with easy Visa for travel/work/holidays.

The UK will re-join the EU - under the terms and limitations as accepted by the UK people at a referendum (with nil chance of any increase in role unless agreed to by the people in a referendum).

Many years ago a politician called Enoch Powell predicted all this would come to pass.

He was ridiculed and accused of being a rascist and a bigot (xenophobe didnt exist yet).

We all thought he was wrong - but he was right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivers_of_Blood_speech

Hey welcome to the real world ! As a Norwegian I welcome you to think outside of the big EU bubble. Even if we are not a member state of the EU , we do belong to EEA (European Economic Area) and European Free Trade Association (EFTA).

As a Norwegian I can still apply for work in any EU country, i have almost the same rights as any EU citizen . So whats the difference? We can't vote for changes inside the EU , but I couldn't care less.

But you have ceded power to Brussels in order to secure these agreements. is that right? They make decisions about Norway which you have no say about. If Uk has to do this then there is no point leaving as it is pointless, worse in fact.

Also UK would not be able to negotiate a deal like this for any number of years. The damage would be done by then to all parties. Why would the EU want to help us. I sure as hell wouldn't in their shoes.

Edited by mommysboy

I am ambivalent.

I'm saying this is the real world, and there is limits to what can be done with such a slim mandate, and the House of Commons dragging it's heels, and 2 countries in the Union not even wanting to leave. This won't happen is just my guess. It's a useless win. There will be a whole host of problems. It'll be shelved.

What will be done is over the next 2 years the "remainers" will renegotiate with the EU to restore as much as they can from the damage caused - Few Brexiteers are even in Parliament, and even less are able to negotiate - and by the end of about 5 years things will be just about back to "normal" except

• No money for the Arts,
  • No money for science and research
  • No money of social projects,
  • No money for rural infrastructure and
  • No money for regional development.
  • No booze cruises
  • No healthcare abroad Pensioners in Spain beware)
  • No cheap plumbers/cleaners/hairdressers/toilet cleaners etc etc

(Cornwall voted "out" and are now saying they need top keep the money and grants they were getting from the EU - (yeah, right??)

It'll be an grey little place and with a lot less sovereignty and democracy than now = we will have to trade that of for trade

It is also worth bearing in mind that the people of Norway pay almost as much as the Brits per capita for their EU deal - but of course they are in Schengen too!

Norway pays almost as much pwr capita for their deal with the EU as the UK....they are also in Schengen which the UK isn't - so if they do a Norway style deal they would actually be MORE in the control of EU than they are now - not such a bad thing considering the crap that has just happened.

One of the kickers on trade negotiations is this.

Germany sells 84 billion Euros of stuff to the UK, the UK sells 42 billion Euros of stuff to Germany (those are German government figures).

So Germany/EU is going to play hard-ball with the UK!?

As we speak, the captains of German industry will be in Berlin to ensure the free-est possible trade deal with the UK, to avoid the possibilty of tariffs.

Just as far as (beautiful) automobiles go, Germany runs an 11 billion Euro surplus with the UK.

I am ambivalent.

What will be done is over the next 2 years the "remainers" will renegotiate with the EU to restore as much as they can from the damage caused - Few Brexiteers are even in Parliament, and even less are able to negotiate - and by the end of about 5 years things will be just about back to "normal" except

• No money for the Arts,
  • No money for science and research
  • No money of social projects,
  • No money for rural infrastructure and
  • No money for regional development.
  • No booze cruises
  • No healthcare abroad Pensioners in Spain beware)
  • No cheap plumbers/cleaners/hairdressers/toilet cleaners etc etc

(Cornwall voted "out" and are now saying they need top keep the money and grants they were getting from the EU - (yeah, right??)

It'll be an grey little place and with a lot less sovereignty and democracy than now = we will have to trade that of for trade

It is also worth bearing in mind that the people of Norway pay almost as much as the Brits per capita for their EU deal - but of course they are in Schengen too!

I thought Project Fear finished on Referendum day!

So you're saying that the UK is either incapable or unwilling to provide the things that you list, clearly ludicrous!

One of the kickers on trade negotiations is this.

Germany sells 84 billion Euros of stuff to the UK, the UK sells 42 billion Euros of stuff to Germany (those are German government figures).

So Germany/EU is going to play hard-ball with the UK!?

As we speak, the captains of German industry will be in Berlin to ensure the free-est possible trade deal with the UK, to avoid the possibilty of tariffs.

Just as far as (beautiful) automobiles go, Germany runs an 11 billion Euro surplus with the UK.

That's reassuring. At least we've got 'a Bale' in our side.

But how do you make a UK Parliament do something it does not want to do.

And then there is Scotland and Ireland. They want to remain.

Edited by mommysboy

I was talking about getting it through the UK Parliament when clearly the majority of members want UK to remain.

I've been wondering about that, but the EU is insisting that there will be no re-negotiations - which will make it v difficult for the Brit. govt to demand a new referendum or come out with an excuse for not leaving.

You are not British. Or in the EU. What's it to you?

Yes the result is clear. No complaint.

But in order to win a match, you have to do more than score the first goal.

Can the Doom and Gloomers please shut up now, it's a done deal.

It's not a done deal before UK government starts the process. Before it, many things can happen.

Maybe there will be 2nd vote. It's gaining support and this petition has now more than 600K signatures. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

Perhaps the queen says that the boys screwed up and she will demand new vote to protect the kingdom or she simply uses her powers to nullify the result.

But you have ceded power to Brussels in order to secure these agreements. is that right? They make decisions about Norway which you have no say about. If Uk has to do this then there is no point leaving as it is pointless, worse in fact.

Also UK would not be able to negotiate a deal like this for any number of years. The damage would be done by then to all parties. Why would the EU want to help us. I sure as hell wouldn't in their shoes.

They'll have no choice - countries in the EU need the money from Brit. exports as much as the UK needs to export to the EU.

At the moment its all rhetoric, as the EU tries to frighten the population of other EU countries into not demanding a referendum of their own. Hence the 'demand' that the UK leave immediately, rather than waiting on the Brit. govt to invoke article 50 in their own time.