Brexit: why British expats are worried

rooster59

Of course, for this to happen those countries would have to agree to similar arrangements for British nationals entering their country.

Playing with words actually gives the right answer. British nationals who are not EU citizens (e.g. because not British citizens) already have visa-free access to Schengen countries. That suggests that British nationals should continue to have visa-free access to Schengen countries.

Edited by Richard W

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, for this to happen those countries would have to agree to similar arrangements for British nationals entering their country.

Playing with words actually gives the right answer. British nationals who are not British citizens already have visa-free access to Schengen countries. That suggests that British nationals should continue to have visa-free access to Schengen countries.

visa-free travel for tourism.... I don't believe British nationals who are not British citizens have any right to be employed.

This Brit. 'expat' living in Thailand is not worried now that sterling/baht has stabilised around 47.5. - although I will have to reduce my luxuries if the rate doesn't improve.

Bearing in mind that those that retired within the EU are now considering the possibliity of being in the same situation as those of us who moved to Thailand have always had to deal with - my sympathy level is v low.

So the pound has stabilized already?

The only reason why it has stabilized is because it's <deleted> weekend and the currency markets are closed. Monday here we come.

Playing with words actually gives the right answer. British nationals who are not British citizens already have visa-free access to Schengen countries. That suggests that British nationals should continue to have visa-free access to Schengen countries.

visa-free travel for tourism.... I don't believe British nationals who are not British citizens have any right to be employed.

Indeed, and nor should British citizens as such once exit is finalised. Work visas might be issued on an individual basis, and those on the path to permanent residence or with derivative rights (if anywhere else makes the distinction) might be able to work on the basis of their residence certificates. I'm assuming permanent residence will be retained and not invalidated by mass loss of EU citizenship.

This Brit. 'expat' living in Thailand is not worried now that sterling/baht has stabilised around 47.5. - although I will have to reduce my luxuries if the rate doesn't improve.

Bearing in mind that those that retired within the EU are now considering the possibliity of being in the same situation as those of us who moved to Thailand have always had to deal with - my sympathy level is v low.

So the pound has stabilized already?

The only reason why it has stabilized is because it's <deleted> weekend and the currency markets are closed. Monday here we come.

Yup, I can't see this is over.

Indeed, and nor should British citizens as such once exit is finalised. Work visas might be issued on an individual basis, and those on the path to permanent residence or with derivative rights (if anywhere else makes the distinction) might be able to work on the basis of their residence certificates. I'm assuming permanent residence will be retained and not invalidated by mass loss of EU citizenship.

I heard on the grapevine that Scots and Irish will get automatic citizenship of the EU, since they are considered political refugees.

I heard on the grapevine that Scots and Irish will get automatic citizenship of the EU, since they are considered political refugees.

Yes thats a good idea, now how do we get them to go to one of the EU countries and claim asylum whistling.gif

That violates the important principle that EU citizenship is not independent of national citizenships, and that the member nations decide which of their citizens are citizens of the EU. This will need treaty change!

Codswallop and humbug to yas all.

The UK will be saving £8.5 a year for not being part of the EU,

has anyone mentioned that ? More money for roads, hospitals,

schools, pensions, lower taxes, yes only think of ME ME ME

The UK's EU membership fee

read it here

https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/

think before ya speak

Jeeeeeez, you don´t really believe that, do you???? Oh man, c´mon!

PS: With "it" I mean the nonsense about "saving 8.5bn a year" ...

And YOU cast your vote? Oh god help us ....

Edited by DUS

Well one thing is that the camps in Calais will disappear, because the passport control etc will be on the UK side.

C´mon ... don´t ruin the party with such negative comments....

;-)

ME ME ME.

and that is different from the mindset of those who voted to 'leave'?

Perhaps, but some may have been thinking of their country and their children's future.

That argument is past now and the UK should face its latest challenge, one they have control of themselves.

Stabilised ?

Bit early for that, the dance has only just begun

Stabilised ?

Saw a clip on the Financial Times. The $1.36/£ at close on Friday was just the traders testing the new ceiling. They're predicting parity with the USD within two years.

Who knows? But it does make for wicked telly! crazy.gif

Stabilised ?

Saw a clip on the Financial Times. The $1.36/£ at close on Friday was just the traders testing the new ceiling. They're predicting parity with the USD within two years.

Who knows? But it does make for wicked telly! crazy.gif

Big fella, it's going to be a rocky ride but the UK will become strong again or it will crash and burn attempting to.

The people going on about ME ME ME, must realise that individual folks MUST think about themselves in a modern world where it appears EACH MAN for themselves.

I'd like to see Australia seperate from the commonwealth now, but it's a ME thing as I'm eyeing off the 'Presidential' position. You can just see me arriving on the Presidential Cessna, waving from the top of the stairs " Hello Ladies "

:P

ME ME ME.

and that is different from the mindset of those who voted to 'leave'?

Actually the answer to that is a big fat YES..... The LEAVE voters decided that although this is somewhat a leap into the dark as regards their jobs and livelihoods, it was better to take that leap rather than settle for the status quo because that status quo is extremely undemocratic.

So manfredtillman you are completely wrong again!!!

most of the 'leave' voters don't have a job. they are retired 'live-in-the-past's' stuffing up their children's future.

open your eyes and ears, the people who's future you just sacrificed are the very ones who are paying for your pension.

let's hope they all pull the plug on you.

BS

alanrchase,

Even when a traveller is allowed allowed visa free entry, Border Force still have to do some work; immigration officers checking passports at UK ports of entry.

So are you saying everyone entering the UK should pay a fee to cover this?

If so, would you be happy to pay Thai immigration a fee every time you entered Thailand visa free for 30 days?

Edited to show to whom I am replying.

I do pay. Called Airport tax. Have you forgotten when you had to put 500 baht in a machine to get a chit to leave Thailand?

alanrchase,

Even when a traveller is allowed allowed visa free entry, Border Force still have to do some work; immigration officers checking passports at UK ports of entry.

If so, would you be happy to pay Thai immigration a fee every time you entered Thailand visa free for 30 days?

I do pay. Called Airport tax. Have you forgotten when you had to put 500 baht in a machine to get a chit to leave Thailand?

You obviously have not flown out of Thailand in a long time.

Airport Tax is included at the time you purchase your ticket and it is 700 baht.

Then you have a 35 bath fee to cover the "Advanced Passenger Processing System" (APS).

alanrchase,

You obviously have not flown out of Thailand in a long time.

Airport Tax is included at the time you purchase your ticket and it is 700 baht.

Then you have a 35 bath fee to cover the "Advanced Passenger Processing System" (APS).

Where did I state you still had to put 500 baht in a machine?

"stabilised around 47.5".

Banks, hotel;s and forex booths around the world are not accepting currency exchanges involving Pounds this weekend because they fear the value is going to fall when markets open again on Monday. Stable, yea, that's real stable!

Banks, hotel;s and forex booths around the world are not accepting currency exchanges involving Pounds this weekend because they fear the value is going to fall when markets open again on Monday. Stable, yea, that's real stable!

That is normal, usually you have two rates. Retail which is set often once a day, and then if the amount is large enough you would go to a financial institution and would execute the trade -- and you would get the amount that the contra-party sold (minus the commission etc.). If the market is too unstable, no institution would want to buy from you something that they have to sell for less... so only two options - inflate the spread to make up for the risk or just don't offer over the counter buying from inventory.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

Codswallop and humbug to yas all.

The UK will be saving £8.5 a year for not being part of the EU,

has anyone mentioned that ? More money for roads, hospitals,

schools, pensions, lower taxes, yes only think of ME ME ME

The UK's EU membership fee

read it here

https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/

think before ya speak

Jeeeeeez, you don´t really believe that, do you???? Oh man, c´mon!

PS: With "it" I mean the nonsense about "saving 8.5bn a year" ...

And YOU cast your vote? Oh god help us ....

Ha ha saving 8.5 bil.....once you depreciate the currency and devalue the GDP by 3 to 5 % the savings disappear into thin air for the average Brit. Complex multivariate equations need more than a 2 buck calculator to solve.

That is normal, usually you have two rates. Retail which is set often once a day, and then if the amount is large enough you would go to a financial institution and would execute the trade -- and you would get the amount that the contra-party sold (minus the commission etc.). If the market is too unstable, no institution would want to sell you something that costs them more than they sell it for... so only two options - inflate the spread to make up for the risk or just don't offer over the counter buying from inventory.

Whoosh, as the point flew by your head!

Poster stated the Pound had stabilised, it has not.

That is normal, usually you have two rates. Retail which is set often once a day, and then if the amount is large enough you would go to a financial institution and would execute the trade -- and you would get the amount that the contra-party sold (minus the commission etc.). If the market is too unstable, no institution would want to sell you something that costs them more than they sell it for... so only two options - inflate the spread to make up for the risk or just don't offer over the counter buying from inventory.

If you follow the thread I am replying to the post about forex booths being risk averse.... I did not say anything about whether I thought the pound has stabilized, nor the timeframe for the exchange rate to stabilize. The longer it takes for the situation to be finalized the more damage that will be done.... which means assuming the referendum is going to be honoured -- then Britain should notify the EU that Article 50 has been invoked.

If you follow the thread I am replying to the post about forex booths being risk averse.... I did not say anything about whether I thought the pound has stabilized, nor the timeframe for the exchange rate to stabilize. The longer it takes for the situation to be finalized the more damage that will be done.... which means assuming the referendum is going to be honoured -- then Britain should notify the EU that Article 50 has been invoked.

Seems the nasty stuff is already happening, just read a report that suggests Britain is being told to F off.

Seems the nasty stuff is already happening, just read a report that suggests Britain is being told to F off.

I just read a report that Britain has been dug up and moved closer to North America...

And if as time goes by, the UK actually does better economically without the EU what happens to the pound then?

It wont

Wouldn't be so sure about that bundy!.......Once the reality again sets in how much shit the Euro zone is in,IMO everything will equalize soon....