NorthernJohn

theDukes

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terribly sad news . Although i never met him personally we had conversed a few times though PM's on various issues. My deepest condolences to his family and all that were in his circle . It is truly an indication of how well he was thought of by the number of responses to his illness and now his passing. Farewell Mate !

"So I’ll meet ’im later on

At the place where ’e is gone—
Where it’s always double drill and no canteen.
’E’ll be squattin’ on the coals
Givin’ drink to poor damned souls,
An’ I’ll get a swig in hell from Gunga Din!
Yes, Din! Din! Din!
You Lazarushian-leather Gunga Din!
Though I’ve belted you and flayed you,
By the livin’ Gawd that made you,

You’re a better man than I am, Gunga Din!"

Rest in peace, Dolly... rest in peace.

I hope the mods don't mind, but this was the last message I received from NJ in response to mine, only a month ago.

So positive, had plans for going to the states, wanted to get his hearing aids fixed and other forward looking things to deal with etc.

How things can change in the twinkling of an eye to any of us.

Sent 2016-06-18 02:03:35

I spent the last 20 years there in Kelowna B C. Not an exciting town but then again I traveled all over the province working. I first moved to Vancouver from Seattle in 1971 and it was strange the laws in the bars. They had just gone to an open bar prior to that it had been men in one part and women in another. Will be going to Seattle at the end of July. Pop over the border to get my hearing aid adjusted see my kids and don't know what from that point on. Waiting to see if the wife can get a tourist Visa for Canada. She already has a 10 year one for the states.

I took her to Seattle last year and it had been about 5 years since I had been there. I couldn't believe the number of Asians. One big grocery store much bigger than the tops here was mostly Korean. In are wandering around three times I didn't have to say a thing just stand back while the person we were dealing with spoke Thai to the wife.

Going to have to do some checking on the eye thing. A year ago April the good eye doctor at the Ram said nothing at all wrong with my eyes other than the cataracts. 32,000 baht to 42,000 baht. the hospital across from the Holiday Inn said 25,000 baht. Will have to do some close checking on it before I go there. Like who will do the work? The fellow I was talking to was talking about folding part of the eye back and inserting little grippers or some thing like that. I would have to have a bit more back ground to understand what he was talking about.

As for the hearing aids I hear they have a shop in Bangkok. Never really spent much time there. Might make a nice excuse to be a tourist for a week. The wife has a son and two grand kids there. I will be doing as thorough a check as I can when I replace these hearing aids. See if they have a good brand that I can get serviced here in Chiang Mai. These are the top of the line. I suggested that I wait a year to replace them as they really didn't have to replace the one for another year. He said he would try to get them both this year which he did. He said these were the latest technology and they wouldn't get any better in a year. so no telling what I will get in 4 years. I did buy a little device I can put them in for half an hour or an hour to make sure they are dry on the inside. Not sure weather I like the heat more than I do the humidity.

Sorry to hear this rotten news. Strange really because this morning my neighbour`s daughter gave birth to a baby boy. People die and yet life continues on, we are only short time tenants on this world, come in with nothing, leave with nothing and why everyone should get along and make the most of it.

RIP NJ or whatever his real name was and he is someone that I regret never meeting.

I knew Jay personally, and never had a clue he was NJ or Dolly. He was a big lovable bear of a guy, always ready with a smile, and encouragement for anyone who needed it. He had a lot of friends, and will be missed, to be sure. R.I.P. Big Jay.

Those who would like to pay their last respects to Mr. John Joseph Slater (Jay), he is at rest in Wat Chang Kong, Kampang Din Road. Coordinates: 18.784965, 98.998110

There is a Buddhist service held every evening starting at 20:00. The Cremation will take place this coming Sunday 10th July. The service starting at 11am at Wat Chang Kong.

Here's Jay at the Breakfast Club at River Market back in January. He said he really looked forward the the twice-a-month buffet and that it was the one time he really "treated" himself. He was always friendly and enjoyed welcoming newcomers and talking with his old friends, too. In this photo, it looks like he just sat down and realized he forgot to pick up his cutlery.

post-68373-0-54203700-1468031258_thumb.j

RIP ...

Will be missed...met him and helped him set up his kindle which I convinced him he should try and I remember he gave me hell for introducing him to technology :-) and then thanking me later when he realises the font can be adjusted to super big size. Told me later it helped him with his reading as he discovered how easy it was to buy books....

Always positive and had a great insight to things....will be missed.