Russian man, 61, found dead in Karon hotel

rooster59

Russian man, 61, found dead in Karon hotel

Darawan Naknakhon

post-247607-0-28645600-1466919295_thumb.

PHUKET: Police are speculating that a 61-year-old Russian man whose body was found yesterday afternoon inside a locked Kata hotel room, most likely died due to a health condition.

Karon Police responded to a request at 4.15pm on Saturday (June 25) from staff at a beachfront hotel in Karon for permission to gain entry to one of their rooms in which a foreigner was thought to be inside, though unresponsive.
“The cleaner wanted to access the room. There were electrical appliances on inside the room but the door was locked and no response to knocks,” said Pol Maj Patiwat Yodkwan.
Upon gaining access to the room, police discovered the body of the man, who was named as a 61-year-old Russian national. The Phuket News is witholding his name until it can be confirmed that the next of kin have been notified.
tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-06-26

Is it just me or does anyone else think there is something strange going on? Sure this guy may have died from ill health but what about the rest of the people who travel half way across the world to throw themselves out of a condo or commit suicide. This country must for sure be the hub of suicides. A country in fact that people travel hours on a plane to die here. Maybe it is something in the water I dont know

Is it just me or does anyone else think there is something strange going on? Sure this guy may have died from ill health but what about the rest of the people who travel half way across the world to throw themselves out of a condo or commit suicide. This country must for sure be the hub of suicides. A country in fact that people travel hours on a plane to die here. Maybe it is something in the water I dont know

Your first guess is right-------it's Just you gandaff12....................coffee1.gif

The UK has the same population as Thailand---but much better medical care...etc The current DAILY rate of deaths natural & in Suicide just in England & Wales is 1,400 people each day .

An elderly farang dies here........it's just got to be a Thai plot...............

Suicides ---Thailand doesn't even make it in the top 25....even with the farangs helping out.......try closer to home if you want high suicide rates. http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/countries-with-the-most-suicides-in-the-world.html

Edited by oxo1947

Your first guess is right-------it's Just you gandaff12....................coffee1.gif

You are probably right after all how many drunks travel halfway around the world just to get drunk in a different place.

It seems to me that that hotel staff performed absolutely correctly. As a hotel manager I would expect my staff to do the same.:

1) guest not seen and not responding to telephone calls. Could be in a drunken stupor.

2) check electricity meter relating to the room. Consumption rate indicates air con and appliances in use.

3) manager call Police to witness entry. If there is no one in then you leave a message with Police as witness that nothing was disturbed or removed.

Oh, shucks... Body. Revert to hotel Death in Hotel policy as per handbook.

Text book response.

The UK has the same population as Thailand---but much better medical care...etc The current DAILY rate of deaths natural & in Suicide just in England & Wales is 1,400 people each day .

An elderly farang dies here........it's just got to be a Thai plot...............

Suicides ---Thailand doesn't even make it in the top 25....even with the farangs helping out.......try closer to home if you want high suicide rates. http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/countries-with-the-most-suicides-in-the-world.html

In fairness to Gandalf12, he has a bit of a point. Just over half a million people die in England & Wales each year, of which 23% are considered avoidable. Either way, that's about 8% of the population dying each year. In 2015 just 91 reported deaths of Farangs in Thailand, which given the amount of tourists and expats in Thailand, will probably be less than 8%. Yet there are endless articles in Daily Mail etc telling people Thailand is one of the most dangerous places on Earth to visit http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2833369/Thailand-one-dangerous-tourist-destinations-Earth-Ex-pat-investigation-lifts-lid-dark-Land-Smiles.html

But the point I think Gandalf is making is why would you spend fortunes to come to Thailand, just to top yourself? No smoke without fire etc. Just saying.

You missed the point entirely. When a British for example dies or commits suicide in Thailand, it is reported that a British died in Thailand. This of course is not counted as a Thai who has committed suicide in Thailand. If you combine the number of foreigners dying by suicide with the number of Thais who die in the same way, the rate of suicide in Thailand will top the chart. Here we are mostly looking at the number of foreigners who commit suicide in Thailand which is high.

You missed the point entirely. When a British for example dies or commits suicide in Thailand, it is reported that a British died in Thailand. This of course is not counted as a Thai who has committed suicide in Thailand. If you combine the number of foreigners dying by suicide with the number of Thais who die in the same way, the rate of suicide in Thailand will top the chart. Here we are mostly looking at the number of foreigners who commit suicide in Thailand which is high.
That was not the point at all.

I think the point is, the Thai police either are too incompetent, or too corrupt, or too lazy, or all three, to fully, and properly, investigate ALL deaths in Thailand.

On that basis, anything is possible.

I don't think you appreciate the gravity of the situation!

Statistics on suicide is one thing and someone preparing themselves for a trip, getting money, buying a ticket, traveling for many hours to get to Thailand and a hotel, or like this young girl to a business meeting suddenly decides to commit suicide. No reason to do it. If you are depressed, you do that anywhere and very fast. You don't plan for days on like a psychopath planning his crime. Those people are distressed to the point that nothing matters anymore. They can't plan anything. Look at those cases anywhere except Thailand.

Well, these are my thoughts.

In fairness to Gandalf12, he has a bit of a point. Just over half a million people die in England & Wales each year, of which 23% are considered avoidable. Either way, that's about 8% of the population dying each year. In 2015 just 91 reported deaths of Farangs in Thailand, which given the amount of tourists and expats in Thailand, will probably be less than 8%. Yet there are endless articles in Daily Mail etc telling people Thailand is one of the most dangerous places on Earth to visit http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2833369/Thailand-one-dangerous-tourist-destinations-Earth-Ex-pat-investigation-lifts-lid-dark-Land-Smiles.html

But the point I think Gandalf is making is why would you spend fortunes to come to Thailand, just to top yourself? No smoke without fire etc. Just saying.

91 farang deaths? Yes, that was the figure reported by the Thai authorities for TOURIST deaths, not all farangs, and there's a very high probability that this figure is well under-reported. To put it into perspective, the UK announced that 362 British citizens died in Thailand in the 12 months up to April 2014 (I can't find a more recent report) and 109 Australians died here in the twelve months up to July 2015. The figures don't quite add up!

But only a few would have been suicides. I do know of one man who specifically travelled to Cambodia to commit suicide rather than do it in Thailand, seemingly because he thought it would cause less distress for his family and to avoid press coverage. Who knows what's going through people's minds when they are contemplating killing themselves?