Has Lazada made a mistake using vendors outside of Thailand?

Sakeopete

I used to like shopping Lazada online because I could use the cash on delivery option and items arrived fast. Now however they are listing items from abroad that obviously don't have that option. It wouldn't be so bad if they had an option to only list items in Thailand but it doesn't seem too. Relevance can be set by delivery time but it makes browsing harder. Honestly I stopped using them its too difficult casually browsing items only to open an item and find that cash on delivery is not an option and the item ships from abroad.

Has anyone found a way to set it to cash on delivery only? Is there another online shop that has cash on delivery option similar to Lazada?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that it can be difficult navigating through Lazada, I gave up trying to buy a carcam as I couldn't work out if they included an SD card and if so, which one, and if not, can I buy one (which one?) from them? In addition the problem mentioned above just put me off trying to use them again.

I am a customer of Lazada, my main reason is I can check the item before paying for it, ( Maybe not allowed but I do it anyway) the out of Country supplier is just not an option for me because first I have to make a payment for something that I have not seen or checked as OK and from experience if it goes wrong the suppliers arnt always helpful, to say the least.

I was talking to a friend yesterday who deals with Ebay and tells me that delivery is normally only a couple of weeks, an example of one of his purchases was a tempered glass screen cover for his Experia 4 smart phone at 43 Baht significantly cheaper than anywhere around Thailand

Before you order an item is clearly says if it is being delivered from abroad (and you can't use pay on delivery). If that's the case just don't use that supplier. What's the problem.

The problem is weeding through the 10,000 items that I'm not interested in- because they come from abroad, in order to find the one I would like to buy.

They need to add a search criteria that limits searches to domestic vendors. Otherwise, the searches take way too long.

They also need to limit vendors to a few listings for identical items. It's irritating to scroll through page after page of the identical items from the same vendor for the same price- and all of them from overseas (well, overland).

I presume Lazada will start to develop more like Alibaba now they have been purchased by them.

Not sure if there are any major + or - with Alibaba system which might be intergrated into Lazada for the better or worse.

I have purchased many items from Lazada and appreciated the quick delivery and their service. I was happy with the quality of the items I bought. I had problems with two items, both were imported. One item wasn't delivered at all and the other item was shorted. Lazada promptly issued refunds for both items. I have emailed them asking for them to give an option to keep imported items separated from locally stocked items. I explained that I waste a lot of time sorting through things and that I refuse to buy anything imported. To date I have received no answer. SO, YES, this has hurt their business as far as I am concerned.

I think Lazada is still in its infancy and will get better with time. Ebay was like that years ago and has come a long way since then. I like the search option, "Free international shipping", on Ebay.

I presume Lazada will start to develop more like Alibaba now they have been purchased by them.

Not sure if there are any major + or - with Alibaba system which might be intergrated into Lazada for the better or worse.

That's the reason Lazada has much more foreign sourced content (mostly from China) and why it is highly unlikely that the new Chinese owners will enable a filter that cuts off their own overseas market.

That's the reason Lazada has much more foreign sourced content (mostly from China) and why it is highly unlikely that the new Chinese owners will enable a filter that cuts off their own overseas market.

I understand the point you make regarding the Chinese overlords not enabling an option that would hide their countrymen's merchants but only time will tell if the annoyances/grievances (and there are many) of these merchants will cause traffic to the site to slowly diminish. I personally hope they do add the option to hide them as I didn't go online to make an instant purchase only to wait 2-4 weeks for delivery.

just select 'delivery time' in the 'sort by' drop down - if anyone ships from within thailand they will appear first, most available with cash on delivery

Sometimes it works, but many Chinese vendors also promise delivery in 2-3 days even though it ain't going to happen. I don't know if it's a deliberate ruse, or a language problem. I suspect there's some of each.

The COD feature would also be a good sort criteria, but it's not available as a sort criteria.

Edited by impulse

just select 'delivery time' in the 'sort by' drop down - if anyone ships from within thailand they will appear first, most available with cash on delivery

I have tried that and I still got items from overseas at the top of the list.

If they could combine AliExpress' product selection with Lazada's "one delivered price, with shipping and customs included- no surprises", and Lazada' policy of only allowing advertising stuff that's in stock ready to ship (and improve their search function), they'd have a real winner.

Edit: Oh, and Lazada's wide variety of payment choices that don't require a credit card or sending money internationally.

My fear is they'll merge the worst of each and end up with a turd.

Edited by impulse

Sorry but whats the problem. All items are marked local or imported, thus you know before you buy if it going to take time or not. If you need the item faster just buy the local one at an higher price. If you are uncertain about delivery time contact the seller.

I used to work for Lazada and totally agree on the search functionality. They are constantly working on improving it, but still have some distance to go.

With 20+ million products in their catalogue it's not an easy task. It's huge volumes of data to tag and filter.

Edited by ThailandLOS

If you do want to buy a product that is imported you can just print off the receipt and pay the bill at a 7-11. Pretty much like COD as you do not need to use a credit card.

Don't mean to doubt chowny77 but is this correct?

Sorry but whats the problem. All items are marked local or imported, thus you know before you buy if it going to take time or not. If you need the item faster just buy the local one at an higher price. If you are uncertain about delivery time contact the seller.

Here's a challenge for you.

See how long you search to find a video adapter cable between HDMI (1.4 or newer) and DisplayPort, at least 2 meters long and only from Thailand ('cause I want it to arrive this week).

I gave up after clicking on around 50- all from China. It was faster to hop on the MRT and buy one at Fortune Town. And that's not the way online shopping should be.

I could find one in less than 2 minutes on an EBay or Amazon search.

Edited by impulse

I used to work for Lazada and totally agree on the search functionality. They are constantly working on improving it, but still have some distance to go.

With 20+ million products in their catalogue it's not an easy task. It's huge volumes of data to tag and filter.

I would expect at least one of the search words I used to apply to the results.

How hard can that be?

If you do want to buy a product that is imported you can just print off the receipt and pay the bill at a 7-11. Pretty much like COD as you do not need to use a credit card.

I want to pay COD, because I don't trust the seller to post it to me, or the Thai post to deliver it to me.

This isn't rocket science, but no money until I see the package, understand or not?

Edited by MissAndry

I want to pay COD, because I don't trust the seller to post it to me, or the Thai post to deliver it to me.

This isn't rocket science, but no money until I see the package, understand or not?

Huh?.... I was asking about chowny77 post... Nothing else. I guess you didn't get high scores in comprehension at school. Yes, I perfectly understand. It is also perfectly obvious that you don't.

One of Lazada's other selling points is that I pay Lazada, not the vendor. It appears that Lazada pays the vendor only after they get confirmation that my goodies have been delivered, and within 14 days. So instead of filing a complaint with PayPal and hoping they'll claw the money back from an errant EBay vendor, Lazada controls the money until the deal is done and dusted and everyone's satisfied. Kind of like an escrow service.

I've never had a non-delivery or quality problem, but I suspect my odds of getting a satisfactory result are better trying to get a refund from Lazada, than from the vendor or from the payment service (example- PayPal) who then has to get it back from the vendor.

I haven't used COD since my 2nd Lazada transaction- because I don't like carrying a bunch of cash around waiting for the delivery guy to get there- plus, I'm usually gone out to lunch when he arrives.

Edited by impulse

Lazada stood out from the rest because they sold locally available products that seldom took more than 2 working days to arrive(Hua Hin). Now they are no different from e-Bay and Ali Express except their search function isn't as good. I was happy to pay a little extra to buy (all Chinese made anyways) products from Thai vendors with super quick COD delivery. It's disappointing that they changed the very thing that made them good to deal with.

impulse, on 27 Jun 2016 - 12:33, said:impulse, on 27 Jun 2016 - 12:33, said:impulse, on 27 Jun 2016 - 12:33, said:

If they could combine AliExpress' product selection with Lazada's "one delivered price, with shipping and customs included- no surprises", and Lazada' policy of only allowing advertising stuff that's in stock ready to ship (and improve their search function), they'd have a real winner.

Edit: Oh, and Lazada's wide variety of payment choices that don't require a credit card or sending money internationally.

My fear is they'll merge the worst of each and end up with a turd.

If you want to grow, every company wants to do that you do not want to sell only local items. As a customer I really prefer a wide selection above a fast delivery.

When i was back in Europe i was looking for something but could find it nowhere. Googled and: there it was. Aliexpress. Never heard of but tried. Yes they could deliver but as i realised that Aliexpress is a chinese company i did not expect having it delivered in short time. Took three weeks but, i got something i could not find anywhere in europe, even not on the european internetcompanies. And cheap. Since then i am using Aliexpress more often but of course only when i am not hurried. Extremely broad productrange!

Edited by fleur3

Here's a challenge for you.

See how long you search to find a video adapter cable between HDMI (1.4 or newer) and DisplayPort, at least 2 meters long and only from Thailand ('cause I want it to arrive this week).

I gave up after clicking on around 50- all from China. It was faster to hop on the MRT and buy one at Fortune Town. And that's not the way online shopping should be.

I could find one in less than 2 minutes on an EBay or Amazon search.

You could find one in less than 2 minutes on Ebay or Amazon. One that came only from Thailand as you required?

I have tried Lazada many times, but I can't be bothered anymore.

If the item I'm looking for is available from Thai sellers, it will be more expensive than at a shop in the neighborhood where I can check it out before deciding.

If it comes from ovewrseas sellers, it will likely be double the price from the same item on Ebay or other international Ecommerce sites.