Thai businessmen told not to be panic with Brexit

webfact

Thai businessmen told not to be panic with Brexit

image-13-wpcf_728x410.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak told Thai businessmen not to be panic with Britain’s exit from the European Union (Brexit) saying that Thailand will not be affected much from the shocking decision which, he noted, will largely impact on the EU.

The deputy prime minister pointed out that the Bank of Thailand had already taken steps to cope with this situation a few weeks ago.

He added that the fluctuations as a result of Britain’s exit from the EU would be temporary.
Despite the exit, Dr Somkid stressed that the 5 percent export expansion projection for this year would remain unchanged, pointing out that Thailand will not be affected much.

However, the research centre of Kasikorn Bank predicted that Thailand’s overall exports this year would contract by 1.2-4.4 percent which is equivalent to $21.3-21.7 billion or 74.5-75.9 billion baht.

The research centre of the Ex-im Bank, meanwhile, predicted that imports into Britain would become more expensive because of the weakening pound sterling which could discourage British consumers to spend particularly on luxurious goods. As such, Thai exports to Britain may be affected but only for a short term period, said the centre.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thai-businessmen-told-not-panic-brexit/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-27

What luxury goods do Thailand export? I can't think of a single luxury thai product, all those OTOP things are hardly luxury.

I read it more as the Brits won't be buying luxury goods which is why Thailand won't be affected ;)

Thailand will not be affected much from the shocking decision

pointing out that Thailand will not be affected much

An excellent reason not to be panic is when a government official has to reassure you twice.

the research centre of Kasikorn Bank predicted that Thailand’s overall exports this year would contract by 1.2-4.4 percent which is equivalent to $21.3-21.7 billion or 74.5-75.9 billion baht.

Another excellent reason not be panic is when a major Thai financial institution publicly states that $21 billion is the same as 74 billion baht, just like the t-shirt says: "Same Same But Different".

image-13-wpcf_728x410.jpeg

Don't panic. Honestly. Don't. You can believe me. You can trust me, I'm Thai. Well, sort of Thai, a bit Chinese but mainly Thai. Sort of. Well, I live in Thailand anyway.

Do you like these glasses? And the nice tie?

I can sell you the Rama 3 bridge if you like... care to make an offer?

Trust me I'm Thai... well, sort of... and the red flush in my cheeks is not because of the big one I had to have before getting up here to tell these lies. Definitely not. I've got a bit of a cold *sniffle*

Anyway, you know you can trust me... that's the important thing...

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

Thai businessmen not to be panic with Britain’s exit from the European Union (Brexit) saying that Thailand will not be affected much

Tell that to investors in the Thai Stock Index - dropped 2.76% to 1,396.81 points with trading volumn totaling about 51 billion baht when stock market closed mid-day.

No need to panic, Britain is and will remain Thailand's partner.

Actually the British Thai Chamber of Commerce celebrates it 70th anniversary and although a lot has changed what hasn't changed is Thailand and the UK's commitment to partnership. The UK is one of Thailand’s most active trading and investment partners and aims to double current bilateral trade values of good and services to 528 billion Baht by 2018.

I guess now outside the E.U. they can make a push for business even with a junta.

What luxury goods do Thailand export? I can't think of a single luxury thai product, all those OTOP things are hardly luxury.

Mercedes Benz, Thompson silk Thailand shipped out BT371bn ($11.2bn) worth of jewelry and accessories in 2015. Do you want me to continue or can you google?

My Nikon camera and lenses are made in Thailand.
aren't they Japanese products? I stand corrected.

Mercedes Benz, Thompson silk Thailand shipped out BT371bn ($11.2bn) worth of jewelry and accessories in 2015. Do you want me to continue or can you google?
My appologies didn't realise they were Thai companies and products. I stand corrected and duly shafted up the rear end with a hot soldering iron.

My Nikon camera and lenses are made in Thailand.

And the "happy endings" also sell well worldwide.

Just got to love people like this, clearly visitors from another planet.

Year in year out Thailand struggles with flood and drought, government after government fails to cope and fails to plan ahead yet here's a claim that weeks ago plans were put in place to deal with a potential political and financial problem in a country half way around the world.

Pity such foresight can't be applied locally and there would never be any problems.