Tourist numbers rise in Thailand amid growing concerns

webfact

Tourist numbers rise in Thailand amid growing concerns
BY LARRY BANKS

DSC02840-e1458804705224.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Despite more visitors and revenue to Thailand, the tourism industry appears worried by economic problems, competition, and also that visitors are concentrated in specific areas.

The Tourist Authority of Thailand (TAT) and the Tourism Council of Thailand (TCT), as well as Chulalongkorn University recently reported results from a survey of six hundred tourism-related businesses, 350 foreign tourists and 350 Thai tourists in Q2 this year.

The survey revealed the tourist industry had gained confidence in Q2 compared with the first three months of the year but the third quarter, the low season in Thailand, was not certain.

The drop in confidence comes from fierce competition between business operators, as well as economic problems leading tourists to spend less, says TCT president Ittirith Kinglake.

Based on the survey results, it is expected that 33.87 million tourists will visit the country this year, a rise of 13.35 percent from last year, with revenue from foreigners estimated at around 1.71 trillion Baht, a rise of 17.83 percent.

Mr Ittirith said that operator confidence will not rise accordingly however, and that besides the economic woes and more competition, the higher tourist numbers only apply to certain groups such as the Chinese.

Full story: https://ethailand.com/breaking-news/tourist-numbers-up-thailand/3014/#prettyPhoto

-- eThailand 2016-06-27

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't TAT quoting only a month ago that they would meet or exceed 2.2 billion tourist dollars? With such a drastic loss in tourist dollars compared to previous years, can they really claim they now have their quality tourists. I guess all of those Chinese tourists just aren't spending what TAT expected.

Bosses at T.A.T. hold their regular meetings, what can we come up with this time.

Tourist numbers up, more money coming in.

If we were to believe all the utter crap they keep spouting Thailand would not be able to cope with all the tourists.

Foreign visitors would like lower fares, more domestic flights, improved local transport, as well as alternative modes of travel like passenger boats, in addition to better quality destinations and a higher standard of service.

Translation: They don't want to get killed in the tourist bus death traps or on the Thai roads and they also want something else to do besides getting soapy massages! Go figure! coffee1.gif

Wasn't TAT quoting only a month ago that they would meet or exceed 2.2 billion tourist dollars? With such a drastic loss in tourist dollars compared to previous years, can they really claim they now have their quality tourists. I guess all of those Chinese tourists just aren't spending what TAT expected.

Today's prediction is 1.71 Trillion dollars. So how is that a drastic reduction from 2.2 billion??

"Never believe numbers you haven't falsified yourself".

I don't believe any numbers issued by TAT.

I was in BKK in early June. Khaosan Road was empty (during the anyways, didn't hang around long), Sukhumwit was pretty quiet and JJ Market had a good number of people, but most were locals and Chinese. Didn't see all those tourists TAT are claiming.

I was in BKK in early June. Khaosan Road was empty (during the anyways, didn't hang around long), Sukhumwit was pretty quiet and JJ Market had a good number of people, but most were locals and Chinese. Didn't see all those tourists TAT are claiming.

It seems very quiet here in Pattaya too (even taking into account that it's Thai low season).

Although quite alot of Indian & Chinese tourists around.

I think things like: Burma opening up, and Vietnam & Indonesia going towards visa-free travel is bound to have hit tourist numbers for Thailand.

Edited by Andrew65

Today's prediction is 1.71 Trillion dollars. So how is that a drastic reduction from 2.2 billion??

Genuine mistake in numbers that came about from a report that 2 Brazilian tourists had been injured.

Not sure where the 2.2 billion comes from. The article says that 1.71 is an increase of 17.83 %. The article also says they expect will be spending less but if tourists increase 13.35% and revenue 17.83% that means more revenue per tourist.

Today's prediction is 1.71 Trillion dollars. So how is that a drastic reduction from 2.2 billion??[/quote

My mistake. .. the quotes said trillion and I put billion

Bosses at T.A.T. hold their regular meetings, what can we come up with this time.

Tourist numbers up, more money coming in.

If we were to believe all the utter crap they keep spouting Thailand would not be able to cope with all the tourists.

Those issues of numbers and cash are a standard part of the minutes of meeting. It is what they add after that which is usually funny

It seems very quiet here in Pattaya too (even taking into account that it's Thai low season).

I think things like: Burma opening up, and Vietnam & Indonesia going towards visa-free travel is bound to have hit tourist numbers for Thailand.

That what our taxi driver was saying the other day. The good time (sic !) when they were able to over charge falang who were taking a taxi straight from the airport to Pattaya is over. Nowadays it's mostly Chinese tourists traveling in group by bus. So the total number of tourists maybe up, and it's good for Thailand as a whole, but the small operators like the taxi drivers or small restaurant and guesthouse owners don't benefit from it, quite the opposite. It's now a business for big tour operators and big retailers like Duty Free.

Edited by JohnnyJazz

That what our taxi driver was saying the other day. The good time (sic !) when they were able to over charge falang who were taking a taxi straight from the airport to Pattaya is over. Nowadays it's mostly Chinese tourists traveling in group by bus. So the total number of tourists maybe up, and it's good for Thailand as a whole, but the small operators like the taxi drivers or small restaurant and guesthouse owners don't benefit from it, quite the opposite. It's now a business for big tour operators and big retailers like Duty Free.

Disagree, it is not good for Thailand as a whole.

Thank you for the clarification. Your observations are much appreciated.

PS Some cities are flooded with Chinese tourist busses.

Foreign visitors would like lower fares, more domestic flights, improved local transport, as well as alternative modes of travel like passenger boats, in addition to better quality destinations and a higher standard of service.

Translation: They don't want to get killed in the tourist bus death traps or on the Thai roads and they also want something else to do besides getting soapy massages! Go figure! coffee1.gif

hey are factoring in the increase in chinese from the mainland! they don't spend, they just walk around a gawk! serves the thai's right!

There are numbers and there are TAT numbers.

A new hotel recently opened in my Phuket Beach town. The hotel caters to Chinese tours. The multiple busses pull up, the tourists get out and unload and about a half hour later maybe a handful of tourists walk around town. The never go into a bar or restaurant. There is no benefit to tourism. They spend nothing here.

These are the TAT numbers.

Not sure where the 2.2 billion comes from. The article says that 1.71 is an increase of 17.83 %. The article also says they expect will be spending less but if tourists increase 13.35% and revenue 17.83% that means more revenue per tourist.

It was a simple typo and I meant 2.2 trillion... also you are mistaken as well as I was. That figure of 1.7 trillion is an expected number for the whole year as stated in the article. Also, if you go by the numbers in the past few years, the money has reduced almost 400 billion compared to the years when Yl was in office. I believe the latest year she was in office they quoted the tourist dollars at 2.1 trillion for that year. So how is that an increase??

The 2.2trillion figure includes domestic tourism, the figures quoted here are for foreign tourism spending only.

I wouldn't read too much into this. The survey is based on interviewing a massive 350 foreign tourists. That's a rather small percentage: 0.001% of the total expected number!

Edited by madmitch

Disagree, it is not good for Thailand as a whole.

I wonder how it is that it appears Thais - practically all Buddhists - don't seem to grasp the message of Karma or simply cause/effect. It boggles my mind e.g. polluting water ways then wonder why it's not safe to drink or swim in. ???????

I thought YABA was illegal because those tourist predilections could only be in their minds when high. But, if they are counting the Chinese tourist who spent little money outside their tour package, again their imagination. I just came from Pattaya, the most empty beaches I've seen in 26 years and the bars, 15 Thai workers to 1 Farang.

Why would I believe you based on your casual observations any more than TAT?