Random Drug Testing in Pattaya. Sixteen Arrested

webfact

Random Drug Testing in Pattaya. Sixteen Arrested
Story by Albert Jack

dru.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Chakorn Kanjanawatta, ordered checkpoints to be established and for random drug tests to be taken.

The three checkpoints were at Soi Petchtrakool, Soi Sopon Cable and Soi Kopai. Raids were also ordered on all the entertainment and karaoke bars in these areas. Sixteen men have been arrested who all tested positive for Ya Ba and Ice.

They all admitted to drug use and claimed to have bought the drugs from a dealer in the Pattaya area. T

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/226145/16-arrested-checkpoint-karaoke-drugs-bust/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-06-27

Mr Kanjanawatta said that as June 26 was ‘International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking’ Thailand has implemented the ‘random drug testing concept in coordination with the World Community since 1987 for the anti-drug campaign.’

keep up the good work boys...NOT!!!........that's about right....30 yrs of failure fighting this losing battle......

Every thai policeman/army should instead be put in strategic positions on motorcycles/in cars and pull over every reckless driver they see and issue them with

a pink slip!.....Get out and tackle the real problem.......road deaths...a NATIONAL disgrace!!!... Get off your asses!

What are all those Thai men doing not wearing a shirt and right under the noses of the police. The junta has instituted bans on "indecent" dress.

As one farang man found out during Songkran it is an offence of "public obscenity" to exposing one's upper body in public. It was stated in the story that Thai police regard nipples of all genders equally obscene. So he was pinged with a 100 baht fine.

If these men are not booked and charged for the same reason then the conclusion is that the police only find male and female farang nipples obscene. I wonder why that would be. Not anti-farang racism surely.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/910108-topless-farang-fined-100-baht-in-chiang-mai/

So a foreigner visiting here from Amsterdam could get popped by the local police in a roadside drug rest?

Yes, if they have taken amphetamine. There is no discrimination over the nationality of drug abusers in Thailand. However, they don't normally test for marijuana, but if they did, and it was in your system, you'd be in trouble.

Any precedence for tourists with medical marijuana prescriptions being drug tested in Thailand and arrested for thc metabolites in their system?

I've heard a couple stories of foreigners caught with weed here and produced a copy of their prescription and walked.

So a foreigner visiting here from Amsterdam could get popped by the local police in a roadside drug rest?

Yes is the short answer. Even if you had consumed or sold drugs in Holland years ago and been charged and found not guilty you still could be charged here and sentenced to 103 years in jail. The chances of it happening in reality is remote if you possess little money and have no valuable property.

Yes, if they have taken amphetamine. There is no discrimination over the nationality of drug abusers in Thailand. However, they don't normally test for marijuana, but if they did, and it was in your system, you'd be in trouble.

As far as marijuana goes, there are allowances made in the Kingdom for individuals who have either recently arrived from, or recently visited a country where its use is permitted. I believe this consideration is extended to Thais as well. Most likely, the 'grace period' would be something like 30 days from date-of-arrival, as medically, that is the period of time necessary for any residual traces to dissipate from blood and/or urine. so technically, you would not be in trouble, once you appeared before the judge. I wouldn't count on either the RTP or the Army to be aware of this stipulation, however.

The Military is changing Thailand into a police state. Freedom was yesterday. This will end in a catastrophe again.

Combatting illegal drug use is hardly an example of a police state!

Barring even a pretense of probable cause, what type of state would you opt to call it, Mr. Budgen? Though random testing is certainly nothing new for LOS, it does appear that either the incidence of random testing has increased, or, we were perhaps just less aware of its frequency before the 'days of darkness' descended upon the Kingdom. Hard to say.

Any precedence for tourists with medical marijuana prescriptions being drug tested in Thailand and arrested for thc metabolites in their system?

I've heard a couple stories of foreigners caught with weed here and produced a copy of their prescription and walked.

Does Thailand issue prescriptions for marijuana???

If a person brings in prescribed marijuana it may well be illegal, marijuana is not a life dependency drug.

The Military is changing Thailand into a police state. Freedom was yesterday. This will end in a catastrophe again.

Combatting illegal drug use is hardly an example of a police state!

Barring even a pretense of probable cause, what type of state would you opt to call it, Mr. Budgen? Though random testing is certainly nothing new for LOS, it does appear that either the incidence of random testing has increased, or, we were perhaps just less aware of its frequency before the 'days of darkness' descended upon the Kingdom. Hard to say.

I guess you're right. It's just after living here for 11 years, these types of checks just feel like business as usual. The lack of freedom of expression is, for me, far more symptomatic of being in a police state.

Are you supposing one would be in trouble if Cannabis were detected? Or do you know for a fact? If so, how do you know?

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2015/11/dutch-cannabis-cafe-boss-jailed-for-103-years-in-thailand/

This story has nothing to do with someone busted in Thailand because of cannabis in the blood or urine.

Are you supposing one would be in trouble if Cannabis were detected? Or do you know for a fact? If so, how do you know?

I don't know the extent to which they'd be in trouble, but trouble there would be.

Grace period, you are dreaming awake...

Even if it was true for a judge, would you take the risk to visit a court or would you just give 20k cash to the cops as everybody does ?

As far as marijuana goes, there are allowances made in the Kingdom for individuals who have either recently arrived from, or recently visited a country where its use is permitted. I believe this consideration is extended to Thais as well. Most likely, the 'grace period' would be something like 30 days from date-of-arrival, as medically, that is the period of time necessary for any residual traces to dissipate from blood and/or urine. so technically, you would not be in trouble, once you appeared before the judge. I wouldn't count on either the RTP or the Army to be aware of this stipulation, however.

Well if foolish enough to travel with it too I guess so.

I'm talking about microscopic levels of THC in the blood after a holiday in Amsterdam (or anywhere people legally smoke)

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 4:29 PM, Buzzz said:

I'm talking about microscopic levels of THC in the blood after a holiday in Amsterdam (or anywhere people legally smoke)

Theoretically, I think Thai law prohibits it in the system, even if consumed in another country before arriving in Thailand.  You fail a drug test, bingo, you're done, regardless of having used outside Thailand.  Practically speaking, I've never heard anything beyond hearsay about this actually happening.  But then again, if it did, I expect it could be bought out of, and either the victim isn't going to go out of his way to broadcast the experience publicly, OR he's going to claim that they did it in another place where it's legal.   And even supposing someone posted here on TV their first-hand account of this happening to them, would you necessarily believe you were hearing the whole story?