Is there any problem bringing a suitcase full of snacks to Thailand?

Old Fool

If coming from USA, they will throw all of that in trash before you get on plane. Empty suitcase should be no problem with Thai customs.

w

I carry snacks all over the US and Internationally out of the US they never confiscate any food stuff I bring

With me.

"I bring in muesli, strong teabags and real chocolate"

"Strong" teabags? I'm not a tea drinker, but I'm smart enough to know if you want stronger tea, just leave the teabag in the water longer.

Big C carries several varieties of muesli from Yurp.

And Thailand has the world's best chocolate -- Linn truffles with the melt-in-your-mouth centers, from Switzerland.

Glad I got that sorted out, and your burden of carrying a full bag of unnecessary crap is over, 555

Tea: Choice of tea can be a bit limited here. You can get some good ones but not your local favourite (if you happen to have one).

Muesli: You can get a lot of foreign/german/swiss cereal in Foodland, so it's definitely worth checking out. That being said, there still is a lot of cereal (including one : LowCarb.One that I would really really want). that you can not get here.

Chocolate: You can get most of the main chocolate out here if you hit the different stores: Top, Home Fresh, Food Land, Big C should have most chocolates covered (Lindt, Frey, Kinder, etc.). But if you are after 'designer' chocolate (big thing in Switzerland) or specific flavours you may still need to import (I can find Toblerone but not Popcorn Toblerone and many different flavours of Lindt can't be found here).

Note: You can find a lot of these chocolates in the Duty Free or nearby (Malaysia/Singapore)

To Sum Up: If you just want 'Tea/Muesli/Chocolate', no need to bring in. If you want *specific* flavours then yes you may need to bring in, but it should be no big deal :)

Now: How do I smuggle in a years supply of LowCarb.One Cereal?

It shouldn't contain anything in Liquid, Powder or Paste form. Rest of the snack items are fine.

That would only apply to hand-carry in the same way as if you want to bring large amounts of toiletries you need to pack them in your suitcase e.g. I bring my chosen antiperspirant and shaving cream because the brands I like aren't always readily or cheaply available in Thailand.

To the OP: I have in the past brought the following items for friends in Thailand: English cheese, Marmite, Tea Bags, Chocolate (my friend's daughter likes Cadburys), packs of mixed sweets.

Never had any sort of problem but if in doubt, why not ask the airline's local office?

Edited by VBF

"I bring in muesli, strong teabags and real chocolate"

"Strong" teabags? I'm not a tea drinker, but I'm smart enough to know if you want stronger tea, just leave the teabag in the water longer.

Big C carries several varieties of muesli from Yurp.

And Thailand has the world's best chocolate -- Linn truffles with the melt-in-your-mouth centers, from Switzerland.

Glad I got that sorted out, and your burden of carrying a full bag of unnecessary crap is over, 555

I bring 5 kgs of Belgian chocolate, 2 kgs of coffee, 2 kgs of Gouda cheese, soups, extra-fine Belgian peas, Bayonne and Serrano ham, quality salami, whatever that totals to 50 kgs I am allowed to check-in.

The real unnecessary crap is sold at Macro and Big C.

Edited by tartempion

If I understand the OP correctly, he is talking about bringing food in his Cabin luggage, not checked in baggage.

Two years ago, I had 3 of those small bottles of wine that they give you on the plane. Going through the control, Bkk-Cm. It was taken away. I protested that I had been given it on the plane, but to no avail.

Another time I had tins and jars in my hand luggage. It was the Bkk-Paris control. All taken out.

Every year I take a lot of food in, meat, chocs etc, but I always put it in my checked in luggage, not in my hand luggage. I have never had any problems.

I just rang Air France, the girl said I can take any food in my cabin baggage, except jams, liquids and so on.

But as I said above, one may have problems on the transit flights.

I'd bring beer, wine, laptops, iPhones, facial serum, etc.

Thailand is full of snacks, chocolates and cookies, 555

chocolate expensive, salami not same same, iPhones expensive, beer cheap , wine expensive, I usually bring Hennessy's, Knob creek, makers mark, a Litre only , in checked luggage Edited by Ireland32

If coming from USA, they will throw all of that in trash before you get on plane. Empty suitcase should be no problem with Thai customs.

BS, I fill my suitcase with Candy and Salami one suitcase full everytime , 1 with clothes SFO to BKK , 25x in 8 years , Never been Stopped, why do people post crap?

I suspect it's because they are driven to post something so we have to put up with stories about what Canada does and some undefined transit airport in response to a question about arriving in Thailand.

Oops - just thought - rather similar to me responding to a rhetorical question whistling.gif

I too never had a problem. I was checked only one time and told the officer that I couldn't find these items in Thailand. He grinned and waved me through.

• 2 weeks later...