Pattaya/Jomtien Retirement Extension Report (Yes Another) w/Foreign National Information Form Bonus

No, I do not think it is a requirement but was related to documenting my residence address. As I said, I live in my house, which is held in a corporate name. Therefore, I don't have a lease or rental contract or a landlords housebook to show. I provided a copy of last month's electric bill for my proof of address. He took that and also asked if I had a DL, and when I said I did, he asked for a copy. The DL also has one's address on it (which was verified through the Residence Certificate one had to obtain during the process to obtain the DL).

If you document your address with a rental contract or condo chanote then I'm sure you wouldn't need to provide the DL copies.

What if you don't have a lease, rental contract or landlord's housebook to show and don't have any utility bills with your name on them either? What can you use for proof of residence in that case?

No, I do not think it is a requirement but was related to documenting my residence address. As I said, I live in my house, which is held in a corporate name. Therefore, I don't have a lease or rental contract or a landlords housebook to show. I provided a copy of last month's electric bill for my proof of address. He took that and also asked if I had a DL, and when I said I did, he asked for a copy. The DL also has one's address on it (which was verified through the Residence Certificate one had to obtain during the process to obtain the DL).

If you document your address with a rental contract or condo chanote then I'm sure you wouldn't need to provide the DL copies.

What if you don't have a lease, rental contract or landlord's housebook to show and don't have any utility bills with your name on them either? What can you use for proof of residence in that case?

You would have to come up with something.

A rental agreement with copies of the landlords house book and ID card should not be that hard to get. Or if living in a apartment an agreement with proof of the managers authority to sign it.

You would have to come up with something.

A rental agreement with copies of the landlords house book and ID card should not be that hard to get. Or if living in a apartment an agreement with proof of the managers authority to sign it.

Why not go to Immigration and tell them you live in ......... Hotel and ask they what proof they would like? I'm assuming you live in a hotel. Or if you don't check into one for a day or so.biggrin.png Then come back and tell us what they said. It would be fascinating to hear what Immigration actually think about proof for those living in hotels.

Edited by Scotwight

I did my annual (2nd) extension of my visa for retirement purposes at Jomtien immigration this morning. I had Rose at the outside copy service prepare my papers as usual. (Immigration paperwork hack...always ask for Rose, or one of her delegees, to prep the paperwork for whatever you need done at immigration. A very nice and thorough Filipina who's fluent in English. I always tip her 100-200 baht for a great service.)

I do everything myself and tip no one.

All the pre-completed pdf documents are saved on my PC and all I need to do is change the date on them and print them out.

I do the same for re-entry permits and used to do the same for the 90-day reporting, but for the latter a form is no longer required.

Even if I do need photocopies I prefer to get them somewhere that charges 1B or 2B (or less) instead of the massive 5B charged in most farang traps. 5B would be expensive even in the UK.

Exactly what I do, though if I had forgotten to copy something (at home), I would just pop across to the shop and get it done in a minute or two.

Alan

You both can pat yourselves on the back for saving a hundred baht and 2-3 baht per page copy. These savings should make for a wild nite on the town

As far as I'm concerned it's just plain common sense to do as much as possible as you can for yourself, and to pay as little as possible for the rest (whilst retaining an acceptable quality of service). But I fully appreciate that many people in Thailand are completely lacking in common sense and seem to enjoy the HiSo sensation of paying others for nothing.

There are no small savings: they all add up and if I was as spendthrift as some are I could never have retired at 50 with as large a bank balance as I have. YMMV but if the world's politicians thought like me I suspect that there would be no economic crisis and I also suspect that the cost of making governments function would be half what it is.

Yes, at Map Tha Put they want a copy of every Thai visa in your passport every time you extend. God knows what for since they're the ones who issued them and have all the applications etc. Have often been tempted to ask them where they keep all this paperwork and how, if ever, they can go back and check old documents. Would take a staff of thousands and a huge warehouse.

I put 8 years on one sheet of paper. I got a new passport 3 years ago and now they only get 3 years of visas. BTW how long did it take you to get an extension at MapThaPut? 6 or 7 minutes per year?

Yep they have all the info they need on previous extensions of stay, etc in the transfer stamps they have placed in the first 2 pages of your new passport.

Definitely agree that extensions are generally a quick and painless process at Maptaput when compared to the horror stories you read about certain other immigration offices on here. Will be going there for my latest retirement extension the week after next, so I hope that these don't turn out to be famous last words!