Going to Pai, anything interesting I should know?

Razzler1973

Waterfall was nice to see and climb.

Hot spring were relaxing, a bit disappointed about the facilities compare the fare they dare to ask.

driving from the village to the hot springs I stopped at an elephant place.

The village itself is just a big market for tourists. Good place for stressed people to un stress because there is really nothing to do.

Stressed people are more likely to be more stressed with nothing to do.

It's about ten years since I visited Pai, don't recall a lot, stayed in a place with a balcony over the river, good food, and kept busy looking around for a couple of days.

Edited by F4UCorsair

Don't go!

Go to Boklua in Nan province instead. Magnificent scenery and almost untouched piece of Thailand.

Looks nice - checked in Internet - but I want drive some mountain roads. thumbsup.giftongue.png

Sorry to criticise your language but do you mean - "want to drive" or "won't drive"? The roads into Boklua via Pua are bitumen all the way but very mountainous with spectacular scenery. The way in via Santisuk is also bitumen all the way, a bit less mountainous and the scenery very good but not as spectacular as the Pua route.

Check out Pai Canyon, see how much it's worn down since you were last there. tongue.png

I still like Pai even though it's changed massively and is loaded with dopey, rich Bangkokians and Chinese in search of the ole je ne sais quoi. Shouldn't be too busy this time of year though and you'll get better rates.

Ran and On at Beung Pai Farm have a nice place, though a bit out of town (towards Tha Pai Spa and the hot springs).

Dunno about eating as haven't been for couple years, but there are myriad places along the main drag, down towards the river along 'walking st' (where the bus station is), coming back along the small road parallel with the river in yellow (some nice little eateries here) and then back up towards the main drag on the route that crosses the river, completing the square... see map.

attachicon.gifpai.jpg

Bamboo Bar (over the bridge and on the left) used to be a great late night watering hole.

Have fun.

Cheers, river to 'town'/walking st is easily walkable, right?

I don't mind staying a bit away, 20 minutes or so walk in and out of the main drag isn't an issue, wouldn't even need the bike, I guess

Be aware they are keep to law regarding drinking there. So if you feel like relaxing in the afternoon with a cold beer, you can't outside of regulated hours! A great way to attract tourists!

That's pretty much the same across Thailand these days. Even on the islands they wouldn't sell it but in small shops they were ok with it, just asked where I am going to drink and say 'back at my room on the balcony' and they were ok with it

I do like an afternoon beer from time to time but it's cool, stock the mini fridge or something instead or go whizz about on a bike

Sure, when i am home in Pattaya no problem. But when travelling, what a pain in the ass to be treated like children!

Can you imagine Spain for example doing this? In fact do any countries who promote tourism to such a degree to this? I can't think of any off hand.

You are not allowed to buy alcohol at those times from established places, but ma and pa shops will sell you any time.

And by the way, the law is for purchase, NOT for drinking. You can drink any time you want.

Away from home and having no knowledge of where the ma and pa shops are, does by default stop you from drinking.

Last time i was in Pai and asked where i could buy a beer, nobody could tell me, the hotel or anyone in the street. My view is it a ridiculous law, and for a country promoting tourism, even more so.

As a rule i never drink in the day, only when i am on a trip exploring Thailand. Of course then being in new places means having to find out who to buy from and where, instead of relaxing for an hour with a cold beer, crazy!

You are not allowed to buy alcohol at those times from established places, but ma and pa shops will sell you any time.

And by the way, the law is for purchase, NOT for drinking. You can drink any time you want.

Away from home and having no knowledge of where the ma and pa shops are, does by default stop you from drinking.

Last time i was in Pai and asked where i could buy a beer, nobody could tell me, the hotel or anyone in the street. My view is it a ridiculous law, and for a country promoting tourism, even more so.

As a rule i never drink in the day, only when i am on a trip exploring Thailand. Of course then being in new places means having to find out who to buy from and where, instead of relaxing for an hour with a cold beer, crazy!

You dont know what a typical Ma and Pa shop looks like ? .If you have seen one you have seen them all .Just walk around with your eyes open .No need to ask .

Don't go!

Go to Boklua in Nan province instead. Magnificent scenery and almost untouched piece of Thailand.

Looks nice - checked in Internet - but I want drive some mountain roads. thumbsup.giftongue.png

Sorry to criticise your language but do you mean - "want to drive" or "won't drive"? The roads into Boklua via Pua are bitumen all the way but very mountainous with spectacular scenery. The way in via Santisuk is also bitumen all the way, a bit less mountainous and the scenery very good but not as spectacular as the Pua route.

Thanks, - I -want- to drive some mountain roads - I will keep that stretch of road in my mind - for a possible trip - also I about 700 km away. smile.png

You dont know what a typical Ma and Pa shop looks like ? .If you have seen one you have seen them all .Just walk around with your eyes open .No need to ask .

? Of course i do. I use them all the time. But when on a motorbike tour i don't wish to be parking up and sneak a beer. I want to stop, have a cold beer and food and relax! Got it?

• 5 months later...
On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 0:21 AM, kenk24 said:

That if you want to go back to a less traveled time, warp on down the road a little to Mae Hon Son

I stayed in M H S and quite liked it. Plenty to do in the area. However, took a detour through Pai and was glad to see the back of it. Full of grotty backpacker bars and grotty backpackers.

If you have time, Cave Lodge is worth a night or more, and don't forget to go down to the cave at evening for the greatest bird show you will ever see ( take a torch to get back in the dark ).

On 7/1/2016 at 1:09 AM, Trentham said:

Don't go!

Sounds like a nice place but apparently there is only 1 place to stay in the town.

Correct?