Danish ‘jewelry law’ used to confiscate migrant cash

webfact

Danish ‘jewelry law’ used to confiscate migrant cash

606x341_337208.jpg

COPENHAGEN: -- Denmark has used the controversial law to seize migrants assests for the first time since it was introduced in January.

The L87 or ‘jewelry bill’ allowed authorities to seize cash from five migrants who tried to enter the country with fake travel documents.

Authorities confiscated kr79,000 around €10,500.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-07-01

My first reaction was that 'OK - they came illegally with fake documents', but a few seconds thought changed my mind.

Taking away all the little money they have is abhorrent. It would be more reasonable to take only the cost of a boat trip back to their own country which would still be a deterrent, albeit slightly less of a deterrent than taking everything.

Only about €10,500 ? They must do a deeper cavity search !

"Authorities confiscated kr79,000 around €10,500."

If the law allows KR 10,000 per individual and there were 5 of them, why would they net KR79,000?

The so-called jewelry bill, which gained support across all parties in parliament, allows authorities to take up to 10,000 Danish kroner ($1,453) from individuals and families that decide to stay in the once-refugee-friendly and liberally minded country, according to a Sky News tweet.

Interesting parallel ...

Critics have compared the measure to Nazi Germany's despoiling of Jews before exterminating them. Bent Melchior, a former chief rabbi of Denmark, said the initial plan "had the character of what was actually in force during the Nazis' persecution of minorities," the Times of Israel reported earlier this month.

http://www.ibtimes.com/denmarks-nazi-refugee-law-lawmakers-vote-take-cash-valuables-syrians-uphold-european-2280315

Good

So I assume you'd be equally happy if Thai authorities could confiscate cash and property from illegals and over-stayers in Thailand.

Items with sentimental value, such as "wedding rings, engagement rings, family portraits, decorations and medals," are exempt from the law, according to the Danish Ministry of Immigration, Integration and Housing. But "watches, mobile phones and computers" could be confiscated.

http://www.ibtimes.com/denmarks-nazi-refugee-law-lawmakers-vote-take-cash-valuables-syrians-uphold-european-2280315

Notice, it is just young men. Where are the females?

Same could be said about all the farang "refugees" in Thailand. It's just old men. Where are all the females?

Edited by Suradit69

Good

So I assume you'd be equally happy if Thai authorities could confiscate cash and property from illegals and over-stayers in Thailand.

So don't come illegally and don't over stay, simple

They'll find them. Lots of pretty young blond Danish gals everywhere. Girls are so impressionable and vulnerable, and programmed to have 'bleeding hearts' for any poor person in need. Happy hunting grounds for handsome bronzed studs.

Major diff: farang who come to reside in Thailand aren't expecting/getting any support from Thailand in terms of rent vouchers, language lessons, payments for food or living expenses. Farang in Thailand support themselves.

Good

Items with sentimental value, such as "wedding rings, engagement rings, family portraits, decorations and medals," are exempt from the law, according to the Danish Ministry of Immigration, Integration and Housing. But "watches, mobile phones and computers" could be confiscated.

Same could be said about all the farang "refugees" in Thailand. It's just old men. Where are all the females?

Yes I would be ok with this and what refugees you know here

My first reaction was that 'OK - they came illegally with fake documents', but a few seconds thought changed my mind.

Taking away all the little money they have is abhorrent. It would be more reasonable to take only the cost of a boat trip back to their own country which would still be a deterrent, albeit slightly less of a deterrent than taking everything.

Take the money and sent them back instead of Bludging on the peoples country money.

Quality tourism here quality immigrants there. Quality quality everywhere except for politicians of course. The way banks are handing out cash I wonder if it is possible to get an immigrant loan before leaving??

Edited by elgordo38

Good

They do. Try exiting Thailand on an overstay and see how quickly you are taken to the little room to the side and made to pay your "fine."

If the law allows KR 10,000 per individual and there were 5 of them, why would they net KR79,000?

The so-called jewelry bill, which gained support across all parties in parliament, allows authorities to take up to 10,000 Danish kroner ($1,453) from individuals and families that decide to stay in the once-refugee-friendly and liberally minded country, according to a Sky News tweet.

Interesting parallel ...

Critics have compared the measure to Nazi Germany's despoiling of Jews before exterminating them. Bent Melchior, a former chief rabbi of Denmark, said the initial plan "had the character of what was actually in force during the Nazis' persecution of minorities," the Times of Israel reported earlier this month.

"If the law allows KR 10,000 per individual and there were 5 of them, why would they net KR79,000?"

Presumably because that was the amount they had over the allowed limit.

Quality tourism here quality immigrants there. Quality quality everywhere except for politicians of course. The way banks are handing out cash I wonder if it is possible to get an immigrant loan before leaving??

Missing your point.

You think the illegal immigrants take out a bank loan to fund their journey?

Or perhaps you think those who come to Thailand take out a bank loan to fund their journey?

Interesting parallel ...

The jewellery law applies to migrants. These men are attempted illegal immigrants, not at all the same thing. I would assume the money seized will be used to partially cover their accommodation and travel costs while they are shipped back to whatever ME or African dump they came from.

http://www.thelocal.dk/20160205/heres-how-denmarks-controversial-jewellery-law-works

Edited by halloween

Most news or people miss the point of this ”jewelry” law. But of course it gives good headlines when not ”undrestand”

When a legal or non legal migrants arrives to Denmark the migrant get free food, clothes, housing, integration school and pocket money from day one.

If they want, later also can get a simpel field job but most don´t want or can do. Languages or because of all the muslim "things". The law are same for Danish citizens who also get benefits payed from the government. Spend your own money first and then you get.

They'll find them. Lots of pretty young blond Danish gals everywhere. Girls are so impressionable and vulnerable, and programmed to have 'bleeding hearts' for any poor person in need. Happy hunting grounds for handsome bronzed studs.

Major diff: farang who come to reside in Thailand aren't expecting/getting any support from Thailand in terms of rent vouchers, language lessons, payments for food or living expenses. Farang in Thailand support themselves.

And a whole heap of Thai, not that I am complaining, we know the rules, so what ?? They know the rules, take their dough and a free trip home in my book.