Americans May Pass Brits, Russians in Visits to Thailand

webfact

Americans May Pass Brits, Russians in Visits to Thailand: Chart
Lee J Miller

BANGKOK: -- The U.K. could be dethroned by the U.S. as Thailand’s top tourist source from outside Asia after the Brexit vote triggered a plunge in the pound.

The U.K. sent 947,000 visitors to Thailand in 2015, the most among Western nations, topping Russia, whose citizens cut travel after the ruble’s collapse started in 2014.

With the dollar outperforming the pound, ruble and so-called Aussie the past year, Bangkok, Phuket and Chiang Mai may see more Americans.

Full story: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-01/americans-may-pass-brits-russians-in-visits-to-thailand-chart

-- Bloomberg 2016-07-01

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

S'funny how this statement comes out the same time the U.S. drop Thailand's Tier 3 status..now it must be assumed that a stronger dollar, & less risk of any of them being enslaved on Thai trawlers (that are ironocally catching fish to supply Walmart over there) will make them queue up to book a holiday here.

It's a long flight over here for them too. (Greece & Turkey have some great holiday-deals on just now)..555!

Heh...'more 'Merkins can only improve the culteral milieu. smile.png

And for those unfamiliar with the term , a "merkin" is a pubic wig ( fashionable in C 18th) as well as being the first name of a fictional US president ( Merkin Muffley in Dr Strangelove). Friday trivia quiz.

As an American, with a keen insight into the travel thinking of "Bubba", I would guess that international travel by Americans is up in many places, not just Thailand. Two reasons:

1. Baby Boomers, the largest cohort of the US population, are retiring in droves; they have above average wealth, and they want to travel before they kick the bucket

2. The US economy has steadily improved since 2010; not dramatically, but well enough to give people some confidence with their discretionary spending

US Travel destinations in 2015:

Mexico 28.2 million

Europe 12.6

Canada 12.5

Caribbean 7.6

Asia 4.8

As reported above, Thailand about 0.8 million US visitors.

Plenty of potential to be overrun with Yanks. wai.gif

If the retired American who has the financial savings to travel outside of the US wants to visit Thailand, then "yes" there may be a slight increase coming to Thailand on upper end package tours; however, flights to Thailand are expensive ($1700 average on economy) & it's a long flight. For the "average" American, they're too busy paying off their debts to afford overseas travel.

What fantasy does these tourist predication's come from? As one reason for UK's exit is because of immigration which many fear of the influx of refugees forced on them by the EU.

Americans are having trouble with terrorist on their own soil, and safety is becoming a HUGH concern. And if Thailand thinks they will come because the dollar is doing OK, are fools. Western countries have international news and watch the world and the imagine of LOL is very tarnish and in tourist areas not safe. There are to many places in their hemisphere to enjoy besides all of the places to visit within their own land.

Oh! I'm a Yank and making plans to return home after 6 years here, enough is enough.

If the retired American who has the financial savings to travel outside of the US wants to visit Thailand, then "yes" there may be a slight increase coming to Thailand on upper end package tours; however, flights to Thailand are expensive ($1700 average on economy) & it's a long flight. For the "average" American, they're too busy paying off their debts to afford overseas travel.

I think your statement is incorrect. I am from the USA and have been visiting Thailand since 2000 and living here since 2013. My relatives and former co-workers have been visiting me and have paid between $700----$850 RT from the East coast (Boston/ New York ) Its even cheaper on the West coast from $500----$650 . It used to be over a $1,100 + RT from Bos but the fares have come way down since the drop in oil prices and the jet fuel savings.

None of my friends have used pkg tours just flown over and hung with me. One friend who was here for 2 weeks last Nov is retiring in September and after visiting Italy (where he was born) will be spending a few months here ,longer if he can convince his wife.

More americans come to see if they can emigrate to Thailand , so they can leave their police state governed by war mongering loonies.

They'll be disappointed though , the food sucks and americans love to eat.

From reading this it sounds to me like the only way there will be more Americans than Brits is if many less Brits come, not more Americans.

A lot of the people in the UK who are planning on coming to Thailand will have booked their trips for the coming winter season already.

I note that the current exchange rate for the Pound / Baht is very similar to the exchange rate I got in 2011, 46/47 Baht per pound and there was no shortage of tourists back then.

In 2013 the Baht per pound exchange rate was as low as 43 Baht to the pound.

If anything I suspect more British people will come to Thailand as they attempt to avoid getting blown up in the popular resort countries near to Europe.

As an American, with a keen insight into the travel thinking of "Bubba", I would guess that international travel by Americans is up in many places, not just Thailand. Two reasons:

1. Baby Boomers, the largest cohort of the US population, are retiring in droves; they have above average wealth, and they want to travel before they kick the bucket

2. The US economy has steadily improved since 2010; not dramatically, but well enough to give people some confidence with their discretionary spending

Mexico 28.2 million

Europe 12.6

Canada 12.5

Caribbean 7.6

Asia 4.8

I disagree. First of all Americans do not like to travel to the third world unless it is geographically convenient, which Thailand is definitely not. My guess is that along with that 4.8 million number for Asia, they have included business travelers.

Secondarily, the economy has only improved for the top 5% of Americans. The rest are struggling. And consumer confidence is at an all time low. Unless of course you follow the "Obama numbers". If you follow those the US has never done better.

But, as a small business owner in the US, I can tell you confidence is very, very low. People are scared to spend money. The housing market is strong. But, that is one of the few sectors that are doing well, as far as middle and lower class Americans are concerned. For the top 5%, things have never been better. Obama has been a real boon for wealthy.

Americans will not be travelling to Thailand in droves. It is too far and the majority of Americans do not have the money for overseas travel. The American economy has not really recovered except for those already wealthy. In addition, Thailand has got bad press from a number of incidents. Americans are afraid of potential terrorism- real or imagined. The gain for Thailand in tourism is only one place- China. The Americans and Europeans will stay home

Not only is it too far, but Americans enjoy some of the best natural attractions in their backyards already. Also Americans don't get 6 weeks of paid holidays every year, most only get one week. The strong dollar is no reason to come specifically to Thailand, it makes traveling anywhere in the world more affordable and Thailand isn't the sole beneficiary of a strong dollar. There is no new incentive to go to Thailand now. Thailand doesn't offer much as far as beauty and natural wonders to draw somebody that far and the usual sex tourists were already on the plane here anyway.

For a family of four to come for two weeks it is very expensive given the flights. they would do just as well or better going to Hawaii for the amount they would spend coming here.

There is no evidence of any kind in the article that Americans will come in droves. Thailand doesn't have an exactly stellar image back home.

Most Americans only get one week vacation per year? And the average flight from America is 1700$ economy? Where are some of you guys coming up with this stuff?

It may be that the Americans don't top the list, but it certainly won't be because of the faulty reasoning here. I have been coming to Thailand and Laos since 1995 and never paid more than 1400$ Round Trip, the average has been more like 1200$. During the first year of employment in the States, the average employee will get one week vacation, then it goes up to two until year three and after that most employer will give a month or more. Of course there are exceptions, but to say most Americans get one week of vacation per year is not correct

Mexico 28.2 million

Europe 12.6

Canada 12.5

Caribbean 7.6

Asia 4.8

I disagree. First of all Americans do not like to travel to the third world unless it is geographically convenient, which Thailand is definitely not. My guess is that along with that 4.8 million number for Asia, they have included business travelers.

Secondarily, the economy has only improved for the top 5% of Americans. The rest are struggling. And consumer confidence is at an all time low. Unless of course you follow the "Obama numbers". If you follow those the US has never done better.

But, as a small business owner in the US, I can tell you confidence is very, very low. People are scared to spend money. The housing market is strong. But, that is one of the few sectors that are doing well, as far as middle and lower class Americans are concerned. For the top 5%, things have never been better. Obama has been a real boon for wealthy.

Feel free to disagree. I hope you don't mind then if I comment on parts of your argument.

My guess is that along with that 4.8 million number for Asia, they have included business travelers.

Yes. Same as all the other regions of the world. And probably the same for most of the incoming headcounts in Thailand.

Secondarily, the economy has only improved for the top 5% of Americans.

Demonstrably false. In the recession of 2008-2009, unemployment dramatically increased for low to mid income Americans. Since then, both the often reported U-3 unemployment, and the more comprehensive U-6 unemployment, have dropped in half (for example, U-3 from 10% to 5%).

And consumer confidence is at an all time low.

Not according to the Gallup poll, tracking economic confidence since 2008; while confidence is down a bit from early 2015, it is much higher now than in 2008-2009. (But could be much better)

But, as a small business owner in the US, I can tell you confidence is very, very low.

Your personal experience is not a substitute for a well run, national scale survey.

The housing market is strong.

Yes, stronger. Approximately double the number of monthly housing starts now as compared to 2009 (at the low point).

Alaso manufacturing and retail sales have recovered to about the same levels as pre-recession (2007-2008).

Domestic auto sales are above pre-recession levels.

Obama has been a real boon for wealthy.

Yes, the wealthy have done better than low to mid income families; continuing a trend of the past 30 years. But it's all Obama's fault, right? I mean, after he passed those tax cuts in 2001 and 2003. whistling.gif

Archived