Israel seals off Hebron in the occupied West Bank as violence grows

rooster59

Israel seals off Hebron in the occupied West Bank as violence grows

By Chris Cummins | With AGENCIES

post-247607-0-36181300-1467415262_thumb.

Israel has sealed off the city of Hebron in the occupied West Bank after an upsurge in violence.

A Palestinian woman was shot dead by Israeli authorities after allegedly trying to stab an police officer.

A rabbi was killed as his car came under fire in the Jewish settlement of Ottniel.

Fatal clashes erupted between Palestinians and Israeli forces at the
Qalandia checkpoint linking the West Bank to Jerusalem.

Israel has deployed hundreds of troops into Hebron 24 hours after forces blockaded the Palestinian village of Bani Naim, after a teenage settler was allegedly stabbed to death by a Palestinian in a nearby settlement.

The bloodshed comes as the the Quartet on the Middle East, mediating the moribund peace process, published its latest report insisting that Israel must cease settlement construction and Palestinians act to stamp out terrorism.

It added if positive steps are not taken to end the cycle of hate the violence will become ‘perpetual.’

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-07-02

Somtamnication, on 02 Jul 2016 - 06:31, said:Somtamnication, on 02 Jul 2016 - 06:31, said:

Leave and peace will return. thumbsup.gif

A simpleton solution for a very complicated situation.....

Israel has left Gaza, is there a peace in Gaza strip now? Israel has withdrawn from several key positions

in the west bank and left the PA to maintain peace and order, is there a peace and order there now?........

Edited by ezzra

Ezra, you conveniently forgot to mention that soon after "leaving" Gazza, Israel blockaded Gazza, making it the largest open-air prison in the world, as well as causing massive hardships for the poor Gazzans.

Israel wants to keep this a "complicated situation" because it is in its colonial and US supplied IDF's interests to do so.

Edited by Elfin

Ezra, you conveniently forgot to mention that soon after "leaving" Gazza, Israel blockaded Gazza, making it the largest open-air prison in the world, as well as causing massive hardships for the poor Gazzans. Israel was to keep this a "complicated situation" because it is in its colonial and US supplied IDF's interests to do so.

And you conveniently forget that the blockade was not placed without a reason, nor that it is maintained by Egypt as well (or for that matter, the PA's own stance on things - not quite what most people imagine). A lot of the hardship imposed could be lifted, if Hamas leadership was less obsessed with face issues and the blind adherence to failed policy.

As discussed on quite a few topics, the IDF is less of an issue, most controversial policies originating with Israeli right wing politicians and parties.

Of course, the topic does not even mention the Gaza Strip.

Morch, getting back on topic, I don't condone killings on either side, and I wish the Quartet had more powers in implementing steps to create meaningful talks between Israel and the PA. Of course announcements about new Israeli settlement plans being granted would have to banned while these talks progressed............

Some of the above comments are ignorant. I am sure none of you have

lived in Israel; I have for 3 years. Most Israelis are not Jewish but Arab Muslims and poll after poll

has been conducted asking if Muslims are happy in Israel and in every single poll, resounding yes as they have work,

and can sleep safely. This is a war of religion as most are.

I have traveled to several neighboring countries. Mass unemployment and misery. The rich Arab oil countries turn away

their own people and don't let them in their countries nor aid them financially. Iran and Syria supply weapons in the hope of

them getting killed off. Children are brainwashed from a very young age to hate Israel, to hate the US and to hate, hate and hate, so

this is all they know.

In the meantime, Israel has learned to irrigate desert sand and desalinate sea water and has made great technological advancements.

The hatred that comes from Muslims stems from the Koran. All non believers of Islam are infidels and must be killed and this is exactly what

they are doing, everywhere.

This is a war that will never end.

Morch, getting back on topic, I don't condone killings on either side, and I wish the Quartet had more powers in implementing steps to create meaningful talks between Israel and the PA. Of course announcements about new Israeli settlement plans being granted would have to banned while these talks progressed............

As would calls for further violence by Palestinians. The Quartet report, impotent as it is, touches on issues relating to both sides. Trouble is neither is even willing to acknowledge most wrongdoings. Pretty much reflected on most related topics here.

lived in Israel; I have for 3 years. Most Israelis are not Jewish but Arab Muslims and poll after poll

has been conducted asking if Muslims are happy in Israel and in every single poll, resounding yes as they have work,

I have traveled to several neighboring countries. Mass unemployment and misery. The rich Arab oil countries turn away

their own people and don't let them in their countries nor aid them financially. Iran and Syria supply weapons in the hope of

them getting killed off. Children are brainwashed from a very young age to hate Israel, to hate the US and to hate, hate and hate, so

this is all they know.

In the meantime, Israel has learned to irrigate desert sand and desalinate sea water and has made great technological advancements.

The hatred that comes from Muslims stems from the Koran. All non believers of Islam are infidels and must be killed and this is exactly what

The hatred that comes from Muslims stems from the Koran. All non believers of Islam are infidels and must be killed

Moslems ruled the Balkans for several hundred years. The Orthodox church did just fine. they ruled India. Lots more hindus than moslems. They ruled Spain. More Catholics than Moslems. There are ancient Christian communities in the Middle East. Been there since the dawn of Islam.

this is all they know.

Hatred stems only from insecurity.

Israel too feels insecure, but they are the biggest so - as my mother always said - the biggest must yield first. That's the only way out of this escalating mess that is infecting the whole world. I believe there is something in the OT about an olive branch.

But who are we kidding - this is just a land grab, and the Israelis are using every weaselly argument there is (such as the above) to parry all criticism until they have achieved it.

Ezra, you conveniently forgot to mention that soon after "leaving" Gazza, Israel blockaded Gazza

Because the Palestinians immediately elected Hamas - who refused to quit violence, respect previous agreements and recognize Israel - to govern them and Israel was under constant attack by rocket fire from the Gaza Strip. Like most of their problems, the blockade is the Palestinians own fault.

this is all they know.

Israel too feels insecure, but they are the biggest so - as my mother always said - the biggest must yield first. That's the only way out of this escalating mess that is infecting the whole world. I believe there is something in the OT about an olive branch.

But who are we kidding - this is just a land grab, and the Israelis are using every weaselly argument there is (such as the above) to parry all criticism until they have achieved it.

Ridiculous comment. You can drive in Israel from east to west coast in 3 hours and you can drive from northern to southern point during daylight hours.

Israel has the military might to conquer much more territory if it wanted to; besides Israel has already given back land, not taken more !

Somtamnication, on 02 Jul 2016 - 06:31, said:Somtamnication, on 02 Jul 2016 - 06:31, said:

Leave and peace will return. thumbsup.gif

A simpleton solution for a very complicated situation.....

Israel has left Gaza, is there a peace in Gaza strip now? Israel has withdrawn from several key positions

in the west bank and left the PA to maintain peace and order, is there a peace and order there now?........

Absolute nonsense.

Israel de facto controls every square inch of the West Bank. It can and does send its hit and snatch squads anywhere it likes.

this is all they know.

>>Most Israelis are not Jewish but Arab Muslims

Wrong.

"According to Israel's Central Bureau of Statistics, the Arab population in 2013 was estimated at 1,658,000, representing 20.7% of the country's population"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_citizens_of_Israel

The rest of your Israeli propaganda post is equally bogus.

Isn't it clear that Israeli's illegal occupation of the West Bank has been a failure. Times have changed. It's not Little House on the Prairie. It's 21st century brutal colonization by mainly European fanatical Zionist immgrants trying to establish a Jewish State by dispossessing and ethnically cleansing the resident Palestinian population.

The majority of the population in pre Partition Palestine, every inch of which today Israel controls, were and still are Palestinian Muslims and Christians. You cannot have a Jewish State if the majority are not Jewish. And you cannot impose your state by military means as in the OP. Something has to give. The best option in the short term to stop the violence is an end to the illegal occupation by agreeing upon a just two state solution.

As I have said previously, after decades of peace and trust building, the two populations will eventually meld into one country anyway.

Sealing off Hebron is just a band aid solution. No doubt some hot headed Palestinian youths will challenge the Israeli occupying army in some way and get themselves murdered. Israel will have its revenge to maintain its killing ratio of about 6:1. But the underlying problems of a foreign army imposing an illegal occupation on the resident Palestinian population have not gone away.

Edited by dexterm

this is all they know.

children are brainwashed from both sides and 75 percent of israelis are jews too not arabs.

maybe israeli violence stems from torah? it commands death to non jews too.

you talk like ignorance is bliss for you or you just see things how you were brainwashed to see.

problem is, israel steals land and oppress palestinians. and israel does not want to return the stolen land and on top, keep palestinians locked with years of isolation away from their basic human right even like sanitation.

Ridiculous comment. You can drive in Israel from east to west coast in 3 hours and you can drive from northern to southern point during daylight hours.

Israel has the military might to conquer much more territory if it wanted to; besides Israel has already given back land, not taken more !

More arguments that evade the issue.

They are not interested in military conquest of other areas - that wasn't the claim. The West Bank is their target because it corresponds to their bibilical homeland. Their strategy is attrition, not military invasion. They are doing it by stealth because they don't want to alienate themselves from the entire world. They will be content for the process to take another century or so.