Barking Chihauhau

Our 10 month old female Chi' has just started barking indoors for no reason.

Has never done this previously, any ideas why?

More importantly, what is the best way of stopping it, without using any form of violence on a tiny dog.

Hope someone can help.

Moss

Permutate any of the following:

- Fireworks

- Attention

- Fireworks

- Attention

- (Assuming all else is ok, no skin or other health problems) Fireworks

Hope I have been of some help

Ally

Oh and the answer is, wait until the new year.

bambi has a good point, if your dog has not been sterilized 10 months is about the right age for her to come into heat.

Look at her vaginal area, is it swollen?

She came on heat about a month and we were careless for one small moment and bang, too late.

As you know this is too young for the poor girl so we had to get to a vet for the injection.

They told us that she may come on earlier next time because of this treatment, and because of the attention the male dog is giving her I think this is a real possibility.

Although no swelling at the moment.

Thanks I will keep an eye on them.

Moss

A bucket of water in the face when she opens her trap and a big loud SHUTUP!

That stops the mindless yapping.

Thanks for that Skip.

Water seems to get the message across. Even a spray bottle with a little reinforcing squirt.

I had a cat that would pounce and scratch at the door while I ate dinner. A few times I threw a glass of water out there. After that, all I needed to do was just pick up a glass and the cat behaved.

More importantly, what is the best way of stopping it, without using any form of violence on a tiny dog.

Hope someone can help.

Moss

Hi there,

For solving the barking problem, you need first try to figure out when, where and under what circumstances she is barking. Dogs do not bark 'for no apparent reason'. That may seem to us initially, but usually if you observe well you will find out that the dog DOES bark at particular moments.

It is possible your dog is barking for attention or out of boredom. But it is also possible that something or somebody has freaked her out, when you were around or when you weren't there (such as firework, a cat or big bird in front of the window, or a kid teasing the animals). In the latter case it is more difficult to find out what exactly has made her barking. It is also possible that she is going to a second fear period. Then even change of furniture can scare the animal (did you notice any behavior change lately, such as she is less confident around certain things or at certain moments. Has there been a change in your household?).

Once you have found out when exactly she barks (what stimulate the barking and in what context) you can start working on the barking by, for example, distracting her and rewarding her for the moments she is quiet and/or ignores the stimulus (even when that is a split second).

In case her barking is attention seeking, completely ignmore her. Some dogs can be quiet stubborn in this, such as my most beloved Jacky :o , and then it will take some time before they have figures out that the barking has no success. (it took Jacky 2 weeks, of pretty much non-stop barking when there were people around.; Though, I must admit, it was more difficult to train my workers than to train Jacky. He just knew how to manipulate the workers :D )

Correcting through squirting water or any other correction method may work, when you are around. The possibility that the dog learns that 'you and spray bottle' is danger, and 'you and spray bottle not combined', or 'you're out of sight' is safe and thus green light for barking, is quite high. In other words, with this method you are symptom treating, and not treating the cause.

Oh, and reading through the mails again. You mention that she was in heat about a month ago and then mated. For this she received injections. Another possibility is that she is not feeling well, what can have an influence on her behavior. Sometimes these injections can have side effects, such as uterus infection (a very serious condition that can be fatal if not treated quickly). Maybe better to have her checked up at the vet, also because the male has more interest in her again.

Nienke

Hope someone can help.

Moss

Hi there,

For solving the barking problem, you need first try to figure out when, where and under what circumstances she is barking. Dogs do not bark 'for no apparent reason'. That may seem to us initially, but usually if you observe well you will find out that the dog DOES bark at particular moments.

It is possible your dog is barking for attention or out of boredom. But it is also possible that something or somebody has freaked her out, when you were around or when you weren't there (such as firework, a cat or big bird in front of the window, or a kid teasing the animals). In the latter case it is more difficult to find out what exactly has made her barking. It is also possible that she is going to a second fear period. Then even change of furniture can scare the animal (did you notice any behavior change lately, such as she is less confident around certain things or at certain moments. Has there been a change in your household?).

Once you have found out when exactly she barks (what stimulate the barking and in what context) you can start working on the barking by, for example, distracting her and rewarding her for the moments she is quiet and/or ignores the stimulus (even when that is a split second).

In case her barking is attention seeking, completely ignmore her. Some dogs can be quiet stubborn in this, such as my most beloved Jacky :o , and then it will take some time before they have figures out that the barking has no success. (it took Jacky 2 weeks, of pretty much non-stop barking when there were people around.; Though, I must admit, it was more difficult to train my workers than to train Jacky. He just knew how to manipulate the workers :D )

Correcting through squirting water or any other correction method may work, when you are around. The possibility that the dog learns that 'you and spray bottle' is danger, and 'you and spray bottle not combined', or 'you're out of sight' is safe and thus green light for barking, is quite high. In other words, with this method you are symptom treating, and not treating the cause.

Oh, and reading through the mails again. You mention that she was in heat about a month ago and then mated. For this she received injections. Another possibility is that she is not feeling well, what can have an influence on her behavior. Sometimes these injections can have side effects, such as uterus infection (a very serious condition that can be fatal if not treated quickly). Maybe better to have her checked up at the vet, also because the male has more interest in her again.

Nienke

I guess you could take the dog to a shrink.

Tell it to shut the hel_l up. It understands.

A little reinforcing smack helps.

Actually Skipper, shouting at a dog to "shut up" doesn't help. In its mind you are barking, too, thus either reinforcing that it's correct to bark at whatever threat it perceives, or joining in the fun!

Nienke's advice is spot on, even down to the fact that these contraceptive injections can cause pyometra (a dangerous uterine infection).

If the injections were "depo-provera" then I can only ask you to stop immediately. Two of my female dogs died from cancer due to these injections (suggested by the Thai Ag 'vet' ). It was confirmed to me by the vet in Samui as well.

- Fireworks

- Attention

- Fireworks

- Attention

- (Assuming all else is ok, no skin or other health problems) Fireworks

The fireworks have long stopped, but were a problem at the time, maybe attention? I will have her checked out at the vet again although I recently did and then said she was fine and healthy.

thanks for the reply

Good luck

Moss

I will observe a lot more, I have noticed that sometimes when the picture changes on the TV and reflects off the wall, this sometimes sets her off, but not all the time!

Our daughter has gone back to Thailand, but that was some months ago.

OK I will try this.

In my OP I stated I will not use any violence, although I accept this is really the lower end of it, I will go with your reasoning of treating the Symptom not the cause.

The injection was primarily a termination, is this still your concern?

Anyway, just to be safe, shes off to the Vet again.

Nienke

Thank you Nienke, great post nice too see you take such time over what some have considered trivial, well its not trivial too me.

Thanks again

Good Luck

Moss

Actually Skipper, shouting at a dog to "shut up" doesn't help. In its mind you are barking, too, thus either reinforcing that it's correct to bark at whatever threat it perceives, or joining in the fun!

Nienke's advice is spot on, even down to the fact that these contraceptive injections can cause pyometra (a dangerous uterine infection).

Thanks November Rain,

I am now getting a little worried.

Thanks for posting

Moss

If the injections were "depo-provera" then I can only ask you to stop immediately. Two of my female dogs died from cancer due to these injections (suggested by the Thai Ag 'vet' ). It was confirmed to me by the vet in Samui as well.

Hi SBK, can I ask what you mean, 'to stop immediately'.

She only had two injections, which was for termination, she was too young too have pups.

Is depo-provera a termination injection.

Thanks for the post, I'm getting even more worried now.

Thanks

Good Luck

Moss

:D Maybe the dog is yipping and yapping because you're misspelling the name of her breed. It's not chee-ha-oo-ha-oo, it's chihuahua, after the northern state of Mexico. Chee-whah-whah. Or, maybe you named her Lek and her name is Rafaela. :D

I am more worried about the health of my pup than your anile comments.

To be even more puerile and pedantic than you, the breed is named after the the Northern state as you say, but she was bred in Ireland from Irish stock which probably means she has more wit and humour than you.

And isn't Chihuahua a name of a place, so surely it should be a capital letter, but then your the school teacher. :o

Moss

Edited by Mossfinn

'to stop immediately' means don't use it no more coz its quite dangerous if the dog is shot by Depo.(progesterone derivative) in wrong perios, it induces a dog get "Pyometra"

(infection in uterus)

the safe period is "anestrus" ( ~3 mths after you see the bloody vaginal dischage)

CAUSE

following from canine estrus cycles (proestrus,estrus , diestrus) these time the endometrium glands are active plus the cervix is opened .. pregesteron will make those gland get more active ..hence it has more chance to get PYOMETRA

Types of Pyometra

- Opened > you can see vaginal dischage ( yellow green or bloody(longer then 14days when u compare it with menstruation(~9-11days) )

-Closed > you will see nothing except the dog get polyuria /polydipsia anorexia and dead

if you want to keep your dog for bleeding , i recommend you to quarantine her when she is in estrus time atleast 9 days ( when the bloody discharge is changed from red to straw coloured or serosanguineous fluid)

Proestrus ~9day Vulvar edema and swelling, bloody discharge

Estrus~9days Less edema, discharge becomes clearer

diestrus~60days

anestrus ~ 2-3 mths

She only had two injections, which was for termination, she was too young too have pups.

Is depo-provera a termination injection.

Thanks for the post, I'm getting even more worried now.

Thanks

Good Luck

Moss

I don't know, it is normally used for contraception. Find out from your vet if that is what they gave her--I had two dogs die and many of my neighbors had dogs die from cancer caused by using it on a fairly regular basis (one dog used it for several years, one dog for over a year, maybe about 4 injections). The cancer doesn't show up until the dog gets older but still, it was an horrible ordeal for me and my dogs.

I have a chihuahua also, so sympathise with the barking. It's quite high pitched and hard to listen to. Luckily mine doesn't bark so often.

Don't know if this is any help but Thonglot Pet Hospital have a dog trainer who can deal with this sort of problem. He does private and group training sessions.

I have a chihuahua also, so sympathise with the barking! It's quite high pitched and hard to listen to. Luckily mine doesn't bark so often.

Don't know if this is any help but Thonglot Pet Hospital have a dog trainer who can deal with this sort of problem. He does private and group training sessions.

I don't know, it is normally used for contraception. Find out from your vet if that is what they gave her--I had two dogs die and many of my neighbors had dogs die from cancer caused by using it on a fairly regular basis (one dog used it for several years, one dog for over a year, maybe about 4 injections). The cancer doesn't show up until the dog gets older but still, it was an horrible ordeal for me and my dogs.

I will check up sbk, thats for sure, sorry to hear about your pets, not very nice at all.

Moss

post-28619-1164483064_thumb.jpg

These are the little beauts in question, as you can see Sadie is howling at the moon, although it does seem to have lessened recently.

She does appear to be coming on heat, but as yet no swelling or drops of blood anywhere.

But I guess it will only be a matter of time.

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to my dilemma.

Moss

Thonglot Pet Hospital

Thank you Karen, but I feel that Thonglot is a considerable way from Oxford. :o

Good Luck

Moss

Great to hear you have a Chihauhau, absolute great pet.

There are excellent dog behaviorists in England.

And isn't Chihuahua a name of a place, so surely it should be a capital letter, but then your the school teacher. :o

I think you mean....

'but then you're a school teacher' :D

I could be wrong though.

It could be a training issue, a stimulus ssue or an attention issue, other than the obvious medical issues.

Perhaps even dietary.

The on heat period can be particularly noisy it seems, especially if there is a male in the vicinity.

Keep us posted; this is very educational (thanks to some of the other posters) for me, finding out all the things i did wrong :-)

I think you mean....

'but then you're a school teacher' :o

I could be wrong though. No steve you are :D wrong, I was pretty angry when I rote it and when I read it back I couldn't be arsed to change it.

It could be a training issue, a stimulus ssue or an attention issue, other than the obvious medical issues. This also could be true, they are spoilt rotten.

Perhaps even dietary.

The on heat period can be particularly noisy it seems, especially if there is a male in the vicinity.

Keep us posted; this is very educational (thanks to some of the other posters) for me, finding out all the things i did wrong :-)

I will keep people updated, if they are interested, if your not don't read it.

I also agree that it has been educational, some great posts.

I am taking them to the vet to have them checked over as I got quite worried with what might be the problem.

Although I love animals I have never been a lover of pets, these have completely changed my attitude.

BTW, the spelling mistakes, the ones that I know of, of course, are deliberate, just to keep the school teaher happy.

Thanks for the reply steve.

Moss