What Does Freedom Taste Like?

Inspire

What Does Freedom Taste Like?

Orlando Barton

post-245411-0-59910700-1467518047_thumb.

Several times per month I am forced to answer some curious foreigner’s question, “Why do you live in Thailand?” Invariably, I answer with one word; “freedom”. I proudly state that I was born and raised to believe you should live in a free country, and now I do.

Some people accept what I say without question. Others want to argue and point to the current government in Thailand and saying it’s not so freedom-friendly. Rather than get drawn into a fruitless political argument, I decide to start listing the many liberties I enjoy in the Land of Smiles but not in my country of origin; ironically nicknamed “the land of the free”.

In my home country, we are victims of Food-Nazis. Go into a neighborhood cafe at 8 AM and you’ll be given the breakfast menu. You are expected to choose from this limited list without question and without variation. Bacon, eggs, pancakes, French toast, etc.

And, should you happen to arrive one minute past the arbitrary cut-off for breakfast, you will be referred to the lunch menu. Ask for a variance on this policy and the service staff will have you believe the cooks suddenly lose the ability to fry an egg past noon. Ask to order from the lunch menu before noon and you may be asked to leave.
Here in Thailand Food-Nazis are not tolerated. Menus are volumes long and everything is pretty much available all the time unless they are out of it. And, there are no rigid rules that say what is acceptable for breakfast.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/freedom-taste-like/

inspire-pattaya1.jpg
-- Inspire Pattaya 2016-07-03

But the government is unelected and ruled by dictat, the citizens are forbidden to meet in public, and as a foreigner you have hardly any rights.

No right to work, no right to own land, report to immigration every 90 days, etc.

What's freedoms does a foreigner have living in Thailand?

Apart from freedom to eat a fried breakfast.

As for restricted breakfast menus, not everyone eats in McDonald's.

Edited by MissAndry

But the government is unelected and ruled by dictat, the citizens are forbidden to meet in public, and as a foreigner you have hardly any rights.

No right to work, no right to own land, report to immigration every 90 days, etc.

Not exactly freedom of speech here either.

Several times per month I am forced to answer some curious foreigner’s question, “Why do you live in Thailand?” Invariably, I answer with one word; “freedom”.

If I had to answer that question I would say HAPPINESS!

I decide to start listing the many liberties I enjoy in the Land of Smiles but not in my country of origin

And the first, the only freedom on your list is the breakfast menu... I pity you. You should look around you with open eyes and see that breakfast is only a very small part of the life.

Sadly freedom for some expats is freedom for them alone. They enjoy their freedom as a tourist/expat and really don't care if Thais have freedom. Some of them will put down the nation they come from while hypocritically keeping its citizenship and passport as a source of freedom. They'll send their kids to their home nation for a better education or summer travels despite their rants about it being the source of oppression and evil in the world.

Sadly freedom for some expats is freedom for them alone. They enjoy their freedom as a tourist/expat and really don't care if Thais have freedom. Some of them will put down the nation they come from while hypocritically keeping its citizenship and passport as a source of freedom. They'll send their kids to their home nation for a better education or summer travels despite their rants about it being the source of oppression and evil in the world.

What a crass statement. It is not hypocritical to point out flaws in your own country. It is what we call in the West Freedom of Speech. No country is giving you anything you pay for it one way or the other.

You need to get out more.

What a crass statement. It is not hypocritical to point out flaws in your own country. It is what we call in the West Freedom of Speech. No country is giving you anything you pay for it one way or the other.

You need to get out more.

gandalf, I'll be the first to criticize the US but the folks I am referring to have a deep hate. Many claim to be against abuse but they say nothing about the human rights abuses right here in Thailand. Everyone criticizes their country but some are total hypocrites when they speak.

Political freedom isn't the same as personal freedom.

Political freedom is restricted in Thailand and even more so since the Junta took power, but personal freedoms are greater in Thailand than in any Western country.

Personally, I get more satisfaction from everyday personal freedom than from political freedom.

But of course, people who haven't lived in Western police states, especially Western Europe, can't relate.

freedom:

like the good old days when you could be:

• skulling a bottle of mekhong, on the beach, and
  • not be pestered by jetski mafias, and
  • not be pestered by beachchair vendors for not using theirs

Political freedom isn't the same as personal freedom.

Political freedom is restricted in Thailand and even more so since the Junta took power, but personal freedoms are greater in Thailand than in any Western country.

Personally, I get more satisfaction from everyday personal freedom than from political freedom.

But of course, people who haven't lived in Western police states, especially Western Europe, can't relate.

I enjoyed 50 years of freedom in the UK and am enjoying 10 years of freedom in Thailand.

Only people who have been denied freedom will know what freedom really tastes like.

Only people who have been denied freedom will know what freedom really tastes like.

Agreed.

Unfortunately for Inspire's editors, the writers are terrible at laying out a clear rationale for their articles.

But by and large I have to say I find my life to be more free out in these parts. More so in Cambodia.

The political process here is not my concern. I thank the powers that be for allowing me to stay as a guest in their country.

Back home, all that cr@p stresses me out. And I did try to return. Was there for 6 or so years. Started from scratch, saved, leased a pub, worked hard, did well, only to be punished for doing well. And ended up with scratch again.

So I'll take my chance on an uncertain future in the Kingdom of Wonder.

BTW, to Inspire Editors: Are you lot (or your writers) getting homesick. There are several of these sort-of "well, life here is ok, but I wonder what it would be like to go back?/How does it compare to home?" kind of stories lately.

edit - PS: I really want some of that chicken

Edited by kayo

Freedom is fried chicken. Enough said.

That dish looks disgusting. You can keep your freedom chicken.

Not my idea of freedom. Freedom for me is seeing a megalomanical general locked away in jail for life.

I know some bar girls who will give you freedom and free speach theropy

Do they give spelling lessons? If so you should sign up.

Yes you should sign up to first letter F

After the Thai bashers on here the next worse thing is the spelling/grammer NAZI'S

Edited by Deepinthailand

Actually I came here to enjoy myself not to get involved in the countries politics I have no vote here no right as such so why should I worry most thai's I know don't worry they just get on with there lives!!! Maybe lessons to be learnt there eh.

Edited by Deepinthailand

MissAndry,

I clicked "Like" because of the Mickey Dee's reference. Your beginning schpiel was more than menu related.

I can relate to life on a menu. I prefer to look at the selections, choose what I want and not bother to look at the cost.

By the way, you're looking hot there babe.