Can you be denied entry to Thailand if....?

"do they not still give them out on the plane?"

They never gave them out on the plane. He would get a 30 day visa exempt entry (i.e. no visa, but a 30 day permission to stay) when he presented his passport at airport immigrations check in, and that could be extended for 30 days at an immigration office.

Doubtful he'd encountered problems with passing through immigrations assuming he hasn't been doing this repeatedly back to back and/or he doesn't appear to be too scruffy. As long as he has a return air ticket he shouldn't have a problem with the airlines. Their concern is self-serving since, if he were to be refused entry, he would need to fly out again and they could be held responsible for the airfare if he couldn't pay. Having already paid for a return ticket they'd be off the hook for footing the bill.

I think they are confusing this with getting your Arrival -Departure Card on the airplane which you do need to fill out before you give them your passport.

I would be interested to know if an Airline can reasonably question a return ticket back from Thailand (no Visa) within 31 to 60 days. Could they bar you from boarding if you had a return ticket say after 59 days as this period can be covered legitimately with Visa exempt and extension.

IMO. The issue for the airlines is that are bound by the Thai Immigration Act and it's conditions concerning carriers. If someone is denied entry to Thailand the airline can be liable for the cost of flying them back out. It is claimed that you can be denied entry into Thailand without an onward/return ticket, but I have never been able to find anything to confirm this. If it does exist it is not currently enforced and is probably an old ministerial regulation.

The IATA advise airlines/travellers of this possibility, but it's up to each airline whether or not they comply.

• Like 2

"do they not still give them out on the plane?"

They never gave them out on the plane. He would get a 30 day visa exempt entry (i.e. no visa, but a 30 day permission to stay) when he presented his passport at airport immigrations check in, and that could be extended for 30 days at an immigration office.

Doubtful he'd encountered problems with passing through immigrations assuming he hasn't been doing this repeatedly back to back and/or he doesn't appear to be too scruffy. As long as he has a return air ticket he shouldn't have a problem with the airlines. Their concern is self-serving since, if he were to be refused entry, he would need to fly out again and they could be held responsible for the airfare if he couldn't pay. Having already paid for a return ticket they'd be off the hook for footing the bill.

I wonder if 'visa handed out on the plane' is being confused with the arrival / departure card handed out on the plane mid flight into Thailand.

I'm guessing there's a good % of travelers (out of and into every country) who have no real understanding of the various forms they complete and hand to various officers, nor the legal implications of these documents.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

Yeah! It was exactly the same for me. Never had a problem boarding or getting a 30 day exempt without being asked for an onward flight. So indeed, has something changed?

But this has been answered already in this thread... and not just once.....

Re Never had a problem boarding ...: Nobody said that you are dead certain to get denied boarding. But many airlines will insist on an onward flight out of Thailand or, if you´re lucky, let you sign an indemnity form. With regards to your specific case, we don´t know enough about your circumstances. Are you saying you always travelled on a one-way ticket or a return ticket where the return leg was 31 days after your inbound flight?

Re: Getting a 30 day exempt without being asked ...: Again, if you read most comments above you would have noticed that the IO will, in most cases, not be the problem.

Edited by DUS
  • Like 2

I regard the risk of being denied boarding significantly higher than being denied entry by the IO.

I agree with DUS. The carrier won't let you on board if there's a good risk of your being refused entry as they have to bear the burden of returning you. There are LOTS of ways round this, not all recommended e.g. he can overstay and pay the fine. It sounds like the type of thing he'd do.

Quite frankly, people judge you by WHOM you mix with so the original person posting this question might start by asking himself some searching questions such as why he would want to entertain such a guest and how that reflects upon him!

Edited by Seraphina

If he makes no provision before reaching the airport, but is affluent and looks it, he can probably talk his way through check in. He should assure the supervisor that he is sure he will have no problems, and ask for a form guaranteeing to indemnify the airline against any costs they incur should he be denied entry. This has worked for me several times in the past, but it is up to the airline supervisor.

He's neither affluent looking or probably confident enough to blag his way if they pull him on it. Seriously he's not even aware of this problem yet, he thought he'd get a visa on the plane and all he had to do is drop his bags and go sit in a bar for 2 months. I Actually think him having this problem might do him the world of good having to solve it over here, it will force him out of his comfort zone. It will be an experience for him and he'll be wiser after it.

True friendship ... got tears in my eyes now (or was it because this mosquito under my eyelid?)

I regard the risk of being denied boarding significantly higher than being denied entry by the IO.

I agree with DUS. The carrier won't let you on board if there's a good risk of your being refused entry as they have to bear the burden of returning you. There are LOTS of ways round this, not all recommended e.g. he can overstay and pay the fine. It sounds like the type of thing he'd do.

Quite frankly, people judge you by WHOM you mix with so the original person posting this question might start by asking himself some searching questions such as why he would want to entertain such a guest and how that reflects upon him!

I have to laugh at the judgemental posts. The guy is just looking to come over for a long holiday after working solid for about 10 years he's not interested in integrating into Thai society why should he?, Yes he should be a little more clued up and he doesn't know his arse from elbow when it comes to Thailand, but why should he care about being judged?

How about men living here with Isaan wives half their age, should they be concerned how people judge them?

I understand the IATA rules ......but has anyone ACTUALLY been refused boarding or is this just another Urban Myth.

When I first came to Thailand 3 yrs ago it was on a one way ticket with no visa . I had no trouble boarding ( in Australia) and no trouble in entering Thailand

If airline check in creates a problem ......ask to speak to a supervisor, tell them you intend to obtain a visa exempt entry on arrival in Thailand. Then you intend to travel overland to Laos, Burma, Cambodia ( anywhere nearby ) , then you intend to return to Thailand again on a visa exempt entry( it may be by land it may be by air you dont know yet) and then you intend to go to an immigration office and apply for a 30 day extension.

So , unless the airline is now making Thai immigration policy it is not their problem whether you have a return/onward ticket or not , nor a visa before arrival.

I understand the IATA rules ......but has anyone ACTUALLY been refused boarding or is this just another Urban Myth.

When I first came to Thailand 3 yrs ago it was on a one way ticket with no visa . I had no trouble boarding ( in Australia) and no trouble in entering Thailand

If airline check in creates a problem ......ask to speak to a supervisor, tell them you intend to obtain a visa exempt entry on arrival in Thailand. Then you intend to travel overland to Laos, Burma, Cambodia ( anywhere nearby ) , then you intend to return to Thailand again on a visa exempt entry( it may be by land it may be by air you dont know yet) and then you intend to go to an immigration office and apply for a 30 day extension.

So , unless the airline is now making Thai immigration policy it is not their problem whether you have a return/onward ticket or not , nor a visa before arrival.

• It's not an IATA rule.
  • There have been plenty of reports from people refused boarding.
  • It is the airlines choice whether or not to take the risk and carry someone to Thailand that can, allegedly, be denied entry without an onward flight. Someone being denied entry can then be the airlines problem.
  • Like 2

• It's not an IATA rule.
  • There have been plenty of reports from people refused boarding.
  • It is the airlines choice whether or not to take the risk and carry someone to Thailand that can, allegedly, be denied entry without an onward flight. Someone being denied entry can then be the airlines problem.

I can recall many reports of people being denied boarding. Some of those were also ones that required purchasing a unwanted return ticket instead of just a onward ticket,

• Like 1

Maybe then this refuse boarding issue is limited to the good ol USA.........................

I keep seeing people write........"There have been plenty of reports from people refused boarding", but I have not read a first hand report .

Perhaps someone could direct me to one recently posted on this forum ????

I was also refused boarding on a flight to Thailand from Los Angeles. The airline counter staff advise me to buy a refundable outward ticket from Thailand to HK. I was living in Thailand with yearly extension of stay that will expire in a month based on marriage with re-entry permit. I am a seaman signing off going back to my family but still dont allowed to board with outward ticket.

• Like 2

I was one time refused to boarding from Taiwan to Bangkok. I had to sign a letter and show a credit card, that I can pay myself for the flight back. So at the end was no problem.

At Immigration I think they never care about having a ticket back, because till now I never showed the return ticket to immigration.

• Like 2

I was also refused boarding on a flight to Thailand from Los Angeles. The airline counter staff advise me to buy a refundable outward ticket from Thailand to HK. I was living in Thailand with yearly extension of stay that will expire in a month based on marriage with re-entry permit. I am a seaman signing off going back to my family but still dont allowed to board with outward ticket.

Wow. In this case, that should have been escalated to a different level to argue the fact that you were actually on an extension of stay in Thailand kept valid with the re-entry.

I also thought that your seaman's book gives you a certain amount of latitude as well, by international law or agreement?

Wow. In this case, that should have been escalated to a different level to argue the fact that you were actually on an extension of stay in Thailand kept valid with the re-entry.

I also thought that your seaman's book gives you a certain amount of latitude as well, by international law or agreement?

Something very wrong to be denied boarding with a valid extension of stay/re-entry permit!

In my case about a ticket out of the country its my real experince not mentioning Australia also where I was allowed by counter staff to check in where i agreed that I will buy ticket out when transit HK. In my experience I think it depends on those airline staff judgement to allow you or not even in SIN just my last signed off was asked and checked my re entry permit which I showed them. In all my cases its really sometimes frustration but I want to stay with my family so I have to comply with a smiling face to everything they required applying for extention here also is a quite nervous because you never know what they want but I always do what they ask for.

He might not get on the plane. He stands a very high chance of getting on his flight with just a 60-day tourist visa and a 12-month return (round-trip) air ticket. No visa and a one way ticket, with no outbound ticket to anywhere else could be a very big problem. At Thai immigration, no problem. However, he will almost certainly be hassled at the airport in the US rather than in Thailand.

we keep hearing these stories that someone MAY possibly be refuse boarding on a plane .

But just how often has anyone been refused entry to Thailand on a visa exempt entry ???? UNLESS they have too many back to back visa exempt stamps already.

Obviously it is best to obtain a tourist visa in your home country, but for the first time traveller to Thailand I feel that all this " refuse boarding" talk is just scaremongering.

He might not get on the plane. He stands a very high chance of getting on his flight with just a 60-day tourist visa and a 12-month return (round-trip) air ticket. No visa and a one way ticket, with no outbound ticket to anywhere else could be a very big problem. At Thai immigration, no problem. However, he will almost certainly be hassled at the airport in the US rather than in Thailand.

You are right, the thirty or forty times I have flown into Thailand I have never ever been asked a single time by thai IO to see anything but I have been asked prior to boarding to show proof of flights out of Thailand and once forced to buy a ticket I didnt have.

• Like 1

we keep hearing these stories that someone MAY possibly be refuse boarding on a plane .

But just how often has anyone been refused entry to Thailand on a visa exempt entry ???? UNLESS they have too many back to back visa exempt stamps already.

Obviously it is best to obtain a tourist visa in your home country, but for the first time traveller to Thailand I feel that all this " refuse boarding" talk is just scaremongering.

Actually, it is precisely the first-time traveler who does not know the ropes who is most likely to have trouble. It depends very much which airline you are using, but I can assure you that I have more than once been in danger of being refused check in if I did not know the right formula to use with the airline supervisor.

It is wrong to exaggerate the problem. Many times, with many airlines, there is no issue. However, it would be irresponsible to suggest that a one-way ticket with no visa is risk free.

• Like 1

This onward flight requirement has been discussed in many threads. I fly about once a week. Mainly with air Asia. They always check my passport for visa or reentry permit or ask about onward or return flight. Most recent was flying X Japan to bkk. I had brand new pp with transfered permission of stay. At boarding had to show it. She then wanted to see my old pp for reentry permit. Personally I would suggest people do not try flying in without an onward flight. If so allow extra time to go aside and book cheapest flight x Thailand within the 30 days. The io will not be your problem. The airline will. Rightly so.

• Like 1

If you are going on vacation for two months and you know that you will go home again why don't do it right from the beginning with a return ticket and turist VISA, how difficult is that but maybe the plans was something else like stay in the country...

You may be planning a wider visit of SE Asia and to fly back from a neighbouring country. You have an option to stay more than 30 days in Thailand by getting an extension. The rule (sometimes applied / sometimes not) is forcing you into a decision or cost that you do not need to make. Budget carriers don't price cheaper for return fares so single tickets can still be a good option. Eurowings from Cologne to BKK is one such example.

• Like 1

If you are going on vacation for two months and you know that you will go home again why don't do it right from the beginning with a return ticket and turist VISA, how difficult is that but maybe the plans was something else like stay in the country...

He has a return ticket, just no tourist visa.

I am worried how my situation will work out when trying to leave the Philippines for Thailand ...

My Filipina wife and I both have US passports ... We intend on entering Thailand without a visa ... We will get the 30-day Visa Exempt Entry stamp upon arrival in Thailand. We will then get a 30 day extension while in Thailand (cost 1,900 baht for each of us). That gives us 60 days in Thailand.

And I plan on purchasing a round trip ticket with a return date 60 days after our arrival in Thailand.

I hope the airlines don't refuse us a boarding pass in the Philippines because we don't have a return date within 30 days.

Bottom line ... anyone can stay in Thailand for 60 days as long as they pay the 1900 baht for a 30 day extension to there original 30-day Visa Exempt Entry stamp.