UK Pension -Proof of Life

Thailand

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to tempt the proverbials. I have never had one of these proof of life forms, retired and living here for ten years now. I have changed my address once in that time but the DWP and my other pension providers know my present address. I guess they will catch up with me sooner or later.

I had the same problem - the Siam Commercial & Bangkok Bank both spat the dummy. However, there is a very easy fix - in Phuket you can go to the Tourist Police HQ. I went there yesterday to sort it out - the sergeant spoke excellent English, there was classical music playing somewhere..I started to explain the issue, but he gently interrupted and asked me for the form - he knew all about it! They have a police station stamp which looks authoritative - there was no charge - it was so easy I had to pinch myself that I hadn't been hit by a tut-tuk and ended up in heaven!

I had the letter from the pension office last week , went to the K Bank where my pension is paid into . took about 20 mins , the girl behind the desk took a copy of the form so as to get right the info needed , she did make one mistake as she wrote ADDRESS Kasikorn . I crossed out ADDRESS , she wrote down Accountant for her position in the bank then took it for the boss to sign over the bank stamp . No wucking forries.

I had this letter last year (got another this week) and took it to the local admin office. The woman there was a right b*tch and spent 10 minutes telling my wife why she couldn't do it. I just walked out, which upset my wife who still wai-ed the woman who was pissing on her. Next door was the police station where her brother is stationed. He did it instead. Isn't supposed to be a family member they they can't tell that in the UK as he (obviously) has a different surname to me.

And yes, the eight weeks is much more realistic. Common sense in play.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

I do it at French Embassy, it's free.

I cannot imagine the British Embassy doing anything for free, they rob you at every turn.

Their website says ThB 1500 per document - not sure if it's more now as E/R down; or if that's still the right price. It also advises lawyers can do it competitively and gives a list of recommended lawyers.

Not only won't they do anything for free, or even a reasonable price, they don't really want to be bothered either.

Part II Notarial and Related Matters 2(i) Preparing any certificate, declaration or document not listed elsewhere in this table: (i) in English £50 2,500 THB 4 Administering an oath, declaration or affirmation, £50 2,500 THB 5 Witnessing of signature £25 1,250 THB

I do it at French Embassy, it's free.

I cannot imagine the British Embassy doing anything for free, they rob you at every turn.

Their website says ThB 1500 per document - not sure if it's more now as E/R down; or if that's still the right price. It also advises lawyers can do it competitively and gives a list of recommended lawyers.

Not only won't they do anything for free, or even a reasonable price, they don't really want to be bothered either.

Part II Notarial and Related Matters 2(i) Preparing any certificate, declaration or document not listed elsewhere in this table: (i) in English £50 2,500 THB 4 Administering an oath, declaration or affirmation, £50 2,500 THB 5 Witnessing of signature £25 1,250 THB

Scrub that last post - I thought I remembered reading that they no longer do Life Certificates:-

Life Certificates

We no longer provide life certificates for British nationals claiming a British pension abroad. Please refer to the list of people working in a recognised profession (PDF, 17.8KB, 2 pages) who can do this for you.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

Edited by Jip99

You have to do it every 3 years. I have got mine signed twice at Bangkok Bank Seacon Square. As another poster said quite rightly, Thai people a scared to death of witnessing your signature as they think they may be signing to guarantee a loan. You need to ask to speak to the Bank Manager or assistant Bank Manager and then you should have no problem. The form requires the Bank or Company stamp as just a signature is not good enough. There is no charge in the Bank for the signature and Bank Stamp.

You have to do it every 3 years. I have got mine signed twice at Bangkok Bank Seacon Square. As another poster said quite rightly, Thai people a scared to death of witnessing your signature as they think they may be signing to guarantee a loan. You need to ask to speak to the Bank Manager or assistant Bank Manager and then you should have no problem. The form requires the Bank or Company stamp as just a signature is not good enough. There is no charge in the Bank for the signature and Bank Stamp.

Wrong I am afraid, on at least 2 counts - probably 3.

They are not sent every 3 years, they are random. Some posters on here have never received one, whilst one I signed today.was for someone who has had two in 11 months.

A company/office stamp is not required. Although the DWP have not amended their covering letter a Life Certificate can now be certified by anyone who is able to countersign a UK passport application.

Doctor, dentist, pharmacist any professional who is willing to sign and use their stamp, it really is a little thing.

sounds like pain in the bum going round trying to get these things signed and stamped just to prove you are still alive, many people will have more than one. Good reason for not telling them you live here I think.

Doctor, dentist, pharmacist any professional who is willing to sign and use their stamp, it really is a little thing.

sounds like pain in the bum going round trying to get these things signed and stamped just to prove you are still alive, many people will have more than one. Good reason for not telling them you live here I think.

If they don't get the form back in good time they stop paying the pension.

Devil of a job to get it started again.

Yes, I got one of these forms last week, and one last year in March, never had one before.

I had this letter last year (got another this week) and took it to the local admin office. The woman there was a right b*tch and spent 10 minutes telling my wife why she couldn't do it. I just walked out, which upset my wife who still wai-ed the woman who was pissing on her. Next door was the police station where her brother is stationed. He did it instead. Isn't supposed to be a family member they they can't tell that in the UK as he (obviously) has a different surname to me.

And yes, the eight weeks is much more realistic. Common sense in play.

I live in rural Khampaeng Phet and this morning I explained to my wife and our neighbour who speaks English a bit better than my wife what I needed.

Plan A was to go to the Pu Yai Ban but he wasn't there today.

Plan B was to go to the Amphur 15km away and get someone there to sign it. My wife spoke to a lady at the counter who put us onto an officer (busy at the time). After he finished I sat at his desk and he wandered off to 3 desks down ignoring me. After 5 minutes someone took my yellow house book and did something with that.

10 minutes later the officer grudgingly came back and there was a 3 way conversation about what we wanted and what he was willing to do. It seems as though he want ed all the details of both the form and the letter translated into Thai then he "might" sign the Thai translation. We explained that this could not happen as the form is a UK government form. In the end he simply refused to do anything so we left, impolitely with no wai or smiles etc.

Plan C was to go to the police station 100 metres away.

We spoke to a lieutenant who understood what we wanted but he couldn't do it himself though it has been done there before by somebody else. We have to go back tomorrow at 3.30 when it should be done. They seemed far more helpful than the miserable old person at the amphur.

If not we will go to Plan D. Plan D does not exist at the moment but I am sure we will come up with something. There is still the Pu Yai Ban and the bank.

My first one took 12 weeks to arrive in Koh Samui and had to be returned in 4 weeks from date of posting! I had to phone to try to explain so that my pension would not be stopped. That's also not easy, to speak to the right person as well as being expensive.

My first one took 12 weeks to arrive in Koh Samui and had to be returned in 4 weeks from date of posting! I had to phone to try to explain so that my pension would not be stopped. That's also not easy, to speak to the right person as well as being expensive.

DWP International have a dedicated number in Newcastle.

Use a CAT Telecom card and it will cost 10/20 Baht.

I am 76 and have received PoL form every year since I was 66 years of age, Your Thai Lawyer is the best bet for proof of life signature and Chop (stamp). Alternatively you can go to one of the Thai Social Security (SSO)Offices I have two pensions and get my proof of life forms from each of them around my birth date. Most lawyers charge a half hour consultation (approx 1,000 Baht)

I am 76 and have received PoL form every year since I was 66 years of age, Your Thai Lawyer is the best bet for proof of life signature and Chop (stamp). Alternatively you can go to one of the Thai Social Security (SSO)Offices I have two pensions and get my proof of life forms from each of them around my birth date. Most lawyers charge a half hour consultation (approx 1,000 Baht)

Why pay anything ?

Surely you know a fellow expat who would do it for you

Dead easy calling International Pensions and they are very understanding if you explain you need a bit more time, there is no 'right person', whoever answers your call can deal with it.

Buy some Skype time or use one of the many cheap ways to phone the UK.

This topic is about proof of life to get your uk pension paid into your thai bank account, correct?

I am close but not there yet 59.

Why can't the bank officer just check if you have a pulse. There are loads of guys in Cambodia without one and they don't seem to have any problems.

what age do you have to be before you get your first ---proof of life request ....??

Thanks

I got my first one at the age of 72 and it is for the state pension.

I have 2 other pension providers but nothing from them.........................................yet.

6 months ago had one for my work pension. This month got one for my state pension - the second time. Previous occasion was 5 years ago.

I just received the same form, my local Pharmacist signed it for me

Yes, Pharmacists are on the list among many other acceptable signees but I was asking if anyone else is getting refusals from Bangkok Bank.

Just going Bangkok Bank today local police didn't have a rubber stamp. biggrin.png

If my bank don't do it I'll take out extension money and change the 4 weekly pension payment to elsewhere. rolleyes.gif

The other thing was the form took nearly 4 weeks to get to me, good job they give us 8 weeks.

This topic is about proof of life to get your UK pension paid into your Thai bank account, correct?

I am close but not there yet 59.

Why can't the bank officer just check if you have a pulse. There are loads of guys in Cambodia without one and they don't seem to have any problems.

Wow!

Guys in Cambodia without a pulse!

No future in that... biggrin.png

Actually I have no idea what you are talking about. What was refused. Some other people seem to understand what has been said we'll I don't know how they can reply to such an obscure post.

Try reading the headline which is in large letters. That may give you a clue.

Yes, Pharmacists are on the list among many other acceptable signees but I was asking if anyone else is getting refusals from Bangkok Bank.

Just going Bangkok Bank today local police didn't have a rubber stamp. biggrin.png

If my bank don't do it I'll take out extension money and change the 4 weekly pension payment to elsewhere. rolleyes.gif

The other thing was the form took nearly 4 weeks to get to me, good job they give us 8 weeks.

Just back from Bangkok bank the lady who signed the form last time who can read and write English wasn't there and no else would do it and said go private hospital, where left the form for the doctor.

The hospital rang later and said we have to get government to sign it.

Local pharmacy said in Thailand they are not allowed to sign it. blink.png

Maybe they think the form from UK has something to do with voodoo. rolleyes.gif

Just back from Bangkok bank the lady who signed the form last time who can read and write English wasn't there and no else would do it and said go private hospital, where left the form for the doctor.

The hospital rang later and said we have to get government to sign it.

Local pharmacy said in Thailand they are not allowed to sign it. blink.png

Maybe they think the form from UK has something to do with voodoo. rolleyes.gif

I went to the amphur police station this afternoon with my wife and a neighbour who speaks a bit better English than my wife and got it signed there.

The police captain who signed it can only speak a bit of English and probably cannot read it but he has done it before and his boss told him to remember what to do.

Damn I forgot to take those 3 cold cans of Leo back home with me.

They should be safe enough in police custody I suppose. rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

An example of where planning ahead helps. Haven't had one to do yet. If you do know any other farangs, always useful to find out what there profession was. I'm sure there are quite a few ex-civil servants around, for instance, who could sign. I have a retired dentist and a policeman available.

An example of where planning ahead helps. Haven't had one to do yet. If you do know any other farangs, always useful to find out what there profession was. I'm sure there are quite a few ex-civil servants around, for instance, who could sign. I have a retired dentist and a policeman available.

Here ya go. I think we could all find someone from this list:-

Your countersignatory must either:

• work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession
  • be ‘a person of good standing in their community’
Recognised professions

Examples of recognised professions include:

• accountant
  • airline pilot
  • articled clerk of a limited company
  • assurance agent of recognised company
  • bank/building society official
  • barrister
  • chairman/director of limited company
  • chiropodist
  • commissioner for oaths
  • councillor, eg local or county
  • civil servant (permanent)
  • dentist
  • director/manager/personnel officer of a VAT-registered company
  • engineer - with professional qualifications
  • financial services intermediary, eg a stockbroker or insurance broker
  • fire service official
  • funeral director
  • insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company
  • journalist
  • Justice of the Peace
  • legal secretary - fellow or associate member of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs
  • licensee of public house
  • local government officer
  • manager/personnel officer of a limited company
  • member, associate or fellow of a professional body
  • Member of Parliament
  • Merchant Navy officer
  • minister of a recognised religion - including Christian Science
  • nurse - RGN or RMN
  • officer of the armed services
  • optician
  • paralegal - certified paralegal, qualified paralegal or associate member of the Institute of Paralegals
  • person with honours, eg an OBE or MBE
  • pharmacist
  • photographer - professional
  • police officer
  • Post Office official
  • president/secretary of a recognised organisation
  • Salvation Army officer
  • social worker
  • solicitor
  • surveyor
  • teacher, lecturer
  • trade union officer
  • travel agent - qualified
  • valuer or auctioneer - fellows and associate members of the incorporated society
  • Warrant Officers and Chief Petty Officers

I went to the amphur police station this afternoon with my wife and a neighbour who speaks a bit better English than my wife and got it signed there.

The police captain who signed it can only speak a bit of English and probably cannot read it but he has done it before and his boss told him to remember what to do.

Damn I forgot to take those 3 cold cans of Leo back home with me.

They should be safe enough in police custody I suppose. rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

I guess Bill things like this is easier for farangies living in places like Bangkok, CM etc.

Pleased for you, my expedition biggrin.png started with the first visit to the pharmacy, him saying we in Thailand are not allowed to do this. rolleyes.gif

The local dentist wanted 2000 baht. laugh.pnglaugh.png

Right police next, that didn't work as they didn't have anything to stamp the form with, so they say.

OK then l thought back to Bank where a staff lady sign & stamped it before, she was not there and another lady said they are not allowed to do anymore.

As l posted before next stop private hospital doctor who didn't want to know, said go government office but they were shut by then. sad.png

On way back home saw the Thai lady doctors surgery was open who l had been to see a couple of times, she can read and write English, she read through the my letter, said OK, filled out, signed & stamped the life form, phew job done 200 baht. thumbsup.gif