UK Pension -Proof of Life

Thailand

I thought the signatory was a witness to ones signature in person, declaring they saw you signed it from outside a coffin....whistling.gif

Confirmed.

The pensioner must sign in front of the witness (certifier) and show them your identification document.

Does it happen in practice ?

No - not always.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just received the same form, my local Pharmacist signed it for me

Yes, Pharmacists are on the list among many other acceptable signees but I was asking if anyone else is getting refusals from Bangkok Bank.

Just today I did this at my home branch of Bangkok Bank. The witness is a VP of the bank and I was charged 100B (with official receipt), so I do not believe there is any bank policy against this, as others have suggested. What happened when you went to your home branch, Thailand? Were you successful?

It is confirmed by DWP that a witness does not need to stamp the Life Certificate.

I called the DWP International Pensions Centre at 15:55 today and said:

'I live in Thailand and have recently received a Life Certificate. I have approached my friend who is a retired professional' (was going to say Chartered Surveyor but in the event I think I just kept it to the generic "retired professional"). 'He is willing to sign as a witness, but he does not have a stamp. Is it OK to submit the form without a stamp'.

Reply: 'Yes - that will be OK'. 'Could I also mention that we have extended the period for reply to 16 weeks. We have only just done it and it did not catch the latest print of forms. [the request letter you are now receiving says 8 weeks].

I'm only addressing the DWP Life Certificate applicable to UK state pensions here. Other requirements may apply to any other "are you still kicking?" letters you might receive

In case you have any comeback. The lady who likes to say yes at the DWP and who confirmed the less onerous route was called June.

Thanks to Jip and Transam for alerting me to the possibility that the forms indicate a stricter requirement than they will in fact accept.

It is confirmed by DWP that a witness does not need to stamp the Life Certificate.

I called the DWP International Pensions Centre at 15:55 today and said:

'I live in Thailand and have recently received a Life Certificate. I have approached my friend who is a retired professional' (was going to say Chartered Surveyor but in the event I think I just kept it to the generic "retired professional"). 'He is willing to sign as a witness, but he does not have a stamp. Is it OK to submit the form without a stamp'.

Reply: 'Yes - that will be OK'. 'Could I also mention that we have extended the period for reply to 16 weeks. We have only just done it and it did not catch the latest print of forms. [the request letter you are now receiving says 8 weeks].

I'm only addressing the DWP Life Certificate applicable to UK state pensions here. Other requirements may apply to any other "are you still kicking?" letters you might receive

In case you have any comeback. The lady who likes to say yes at the DWP and who confirmed the less onerous route was called June.

Thanks to Jip and Transam for alerting me to the possibility that the forms indicate a stricter requirement than they will in fact accept.

Thanks SantiSuk....... who says you can't teach old accountants new tricks smile.pngwai.gif

Your phone call was worth every Satang just to learn about the 16 weeks deadline.

I don't suppose they mentioned receiving my feedback about changing the 7 headings of who can certify?

Only 400 satang on Skype!

No mention of anything else, but since June didn't comment on "retired professional" I'm pretty sure the long lists that appear in recent postings of professionals are acceptable whether retired or active. I'm planning on getting one of the teacher expats who turn up to our hash house harriers to sign me off today (the chartered surveyor was real but he lives in Bangkok) - TEFL will do to make them professional in my view!

I didn't stop to debate the question why their Life Certificate mailing is so inaccurate on more than one count either - best not to poke a friendly bear!

I just received the same form, my local Pharmacist signed it for me

Yes, Pharmacists are on the list among many other acceptable signees but I was asking if anyone else is getting refusals from Bangkok Bank.

Just today I did this at my home branch of Bangkok Bank. The witness is a VP of the bank and I was charged 100B (with official receipt), so I do not believe there is any bank policy against this, as others have suggested. What happened when you went to your home branch, Thailand? Were you successful?

My main Bangkok Bank said they couldn't do it, l guess they will not care but l will and enjoy going back to close both my accounts.

Thanks SantiSuk....... who says you can't teach old accountants new tricks smile.pngwai.gif

Old Accountants Never Die, They Only Loose their Balance ! rolleyes.gif

Anyone in the Mae-Jo area who needs one signing, I'm happy to help-out, please PM me.

Yes, but will your new bank be willing to witness Proof of Life documents for you in the future? It seems to be the policy at just about all the banks now not to sign.

The SCB just seems to be better in main town said they would sign the 'proof form' when we open an account with them. whistling.giflaugh.png

It is easier get my doctor to do it anyway, the Bangkok bank here is a pain even getting from money UK, by using SCB no bother, horses for courses l guess. smile.png

It would seem that hospitals/clinics/doctors would be the way to go. If they're willing to do the medical certificate for the Thai drivers license for 50 - 200 baht, then surely they'd sign a similar statement that you're still alive for the UK pension people. That's basically all the TDL people want to know -- that you were able to get in to see the doctor under your own steam and tell them your name.

It would seem that hospitals/clinics/doctors would be the way to go. If they're willing to do the medical certificate for the Thai drivers license for 50 - 200 baht, then surely they'd sign a similar statement that you're still alive for the UK pension people. That's basically all the TDL people want to know -- that you were able to get in to see the doctor under your own steam and tell them your name.

Well not always the case as l found, as l have posted before a Thai doctor refused, It seems to me places like Bangkok, CM etc. may have more professional Thai people that read and write English or as said about the route that l was unaware of by getting some qualified expats to sign.

Large or small out of the way places have some Thai professionals that can speak some English and only read a little, my wife explained the best she could to them but when she said about " sign as a witness " that freaked them out.

The doctor that signed mine had not seen one before she read through my letter from UK DWP, read the form and said OK l understand. smile.png

Well not always the case as l found, as l have posted before a Thai doctor refused, It seems to me places like Bangkok, CM etc. may have more professional Thai people that read and write English or as said about the route that l was unaware of by getting some qualified expats to sign.

Large or small out of the way places have some Thai professionals that can speak some English and only read a little, my wife explained the best she could to them but when she said about " sign as a witness " that freaked them out.

The doctor that signed mine had not seen one before she read through my letter from UK DWP, read the form and said OK l understand. smile.png

I reckon many Thai folk will not get involve through fear of getting involved with a 'financial' claim against them. This country 'runs' on signatures to guarantee money, in fact l would NOT put my name on anything to do with a Thai, absolutely NOT.

Well I admit to signing our Thai marriage papers. laugh.png

If (particularly in Chiang Mai) you cannot find a Farang from the exhaustive list of professions etc, then you must have a very narrow social circle.

If (particularly in Chiang Mai) you cannot find a Farang from the exhaustive list of professions etc, then you must have a very narrow social circle.

If on the other hand you live in rural Thailand you may find it difficult to find many farangs within a 20 or 30 km radius, let alone one who is qualified.

If on the other hand you live in rural Thailand you may find it difficult to find many farangs within a 20 or 30 km radius, let alone one who is qualified.

PM me Bill if you ever need a Life Certificate signed.

Not sure if this has been stated before, but yesterday went to Chonburi immigration, they were happy to stamp and witness the form ( Baht200)

Chiang Mai Immigration has made it very clear they won't stamp and witness life forms any more. At least that's what they said when they did at program at CEC in October 2014.

However, their buddies next door at G4T might be willing to oblige.

Not sure if this has been stated before, but yesterday went to Chonburi immigration, they were happy to stamp and witness the form ( Baht200)

Chiang Mai Immigration has made it very clear they won't stamp and witness life forms any more. At least that's what they said when they did at program at CEC in October 2014.

However, their buddies next door at G4T might be willing to oblige.

PM me Bill if you ever need a Life Certificate signed.

Thank you for your kind offer. I may take you up on it The next (if there is one) time around.

• 2 weeks later...

what age do you have to be before you get your first ---proof of life request ....??

Thanks

If you're talking about the state pension Life Certificate, it can come any time after you start getting your pension. My first one came in June, only two months after my pension started. I asked Newcastle "why so soon?" and they said it's random, completely random.

what age do you have to be before you get your first ---proof of life request ....??

Thanks

If you're talking about the state pension Life Certificate, it can come any time after you start getting your pension. My first one came in June, only two months after my pension started. I asked Newcastle "why so soon?" and they said it's random, completely random.

Me too, two years later got another one.....Wonder if UK gov asks what overseas "AID" is being spent on.....whistling.gif

Random maybe the way but my 2 have been sent in 'June ' every 2 years.

UK overseas 'AID ' office won't get proof of life form as it will never die. sad.png