Hi all, just a quick question, I opened a bank account with SCB in Rawai approximately 3 years ago but have not used it since as living back in Aus, there was only a small amount left in my account and my card,date expiry has years left on it........would it possibly still be open ?? Cheers

The general rule Thai banks use is when an account drops below Bt2,000 "and" there is no user activity such as a withdrawal/deposit/transfer (must meet both criteria) they will begin charging a Bt50/month maintenance fee...once that maintenance fee brings the balance down to zero the account is closed. Note I said that's the "general" rule Thai banks follow; I read some posts from farangs in places like Pattaya that some branches may have stricter account activity rules probably due to farangs opening accounts, leaving Thailand for X-years, just creating low balance, dormant accounts.

If you left more than Bt2,000 in the account....and by more I mean it would stayed above Bt2,000 even after the annual card fee deduction which can range from around Bt200 to close to a Bt1000 depending on the type of card you got, no maintenance fee should have kicked in to draw down the account possibly to zero when the account would be closed.

Edited by Pib

We have an account with SCB in Phuket that we did not use for many years, albeit with a reasonable balance in it. Recently we logged on via Internet banking, checked all was OK, then went into a random branch and updated the book. All in order, no monthly charges. A few days later, went to our "home branch" and they updated all our new passport details, issued a MasterCard Debit card, registered our mobile phones for one time passwords and we are now using it regularly. Luck of the draw maybe.