Sterling falls to new low against the dollar in Asia trade

webfact

• Bank Of England have wanted to weaken our currency for a long time so what better reason than the Brexit.
  • British pound was going to get weaker no matter what because that's what's required to make our exports cheaper and erode our debt.
  • Pound will stabilize and get back to near normal as they stabilize the political situation.

So 1 pound = $US0.25 or 1 pound = 15THB would be good for the UK?

Lets see how that goes.

If you are one of the very few exporters you will do very nicely. If you are the average citizen you will not be setting foot or buying anything outside the UK your money is worthless.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're depending on a UK income you'd better hope Thailand doesn't get its shit together. As for Brexit - well, what can one say about this, all the major players have left the scene of the crime. "It wasn't me Guv, honest". More seriously, I think that, by accident, the UK may have done the right thing. Only time will tell.

Alternatively we can hope that politicians get their 'shit together'.

But its unlikely this will happen in the near future - even though their shenanigans are causing sterling to fall further sad.png .

Anyone here who bought properties when the pound was at a much better rate should sell up and had back and make a killing on the exchange rate. Stay put for 5 years or so and come back when its recovered...if that ever happens of course

If you're depending on a UK income you'd better hope Thailand doesn't get its shit together. As for Brexit - well, what can one say about this, all the major players have left the scene of the crime. "It wasn't me Guv, honest". More seriously, I think that, by accident, the UK may have done the right thing. Only time will tell.

But its unlikely this will happen in the near future - even though their shenanigans are causing sterling to fall further sad.png .

We need Ludwig Erhard and Sir John Cowperthwaite right now, but they're both dead.

The handling of Brexit is far worse than Brexit itself.

I'm ok with it being around 50 baht to the pound. I really can't see it going down much further than say 44 baht to the pound. To put that into perspective ,that's about 100 pounds sterling less on every thousand pound I spend every month. All that needs to be done is save 100 pounds per month. Bye bye fitness first for the Mrs ( not that she done anything else but take selfies anyway) that's 3000 baht right there. I will cut out the mon morning pi#s ups ,that's another 3000 baht. I'm already up. Simples.....

Everyone needs to stop panicking. And please stop talking about the great era of 70 baht or more to the pound, it really wasn't helping when it was in the 50s let alone now! ....

As I said stop panicking !!!!!!, ahhhhhhahhhhhhhhhahhhhh

Sure, and following that great bit of logic, no matter how far the pound drops to the baht, just stop more spending and start taking notes from those posters who claim they live very nicely on B20k/mo.

It is so true nausea they have all thrown a hand grenade and done a runner. To be honest I haven't seen anything like this before. It was like 'Are you kidding? We won? Hell lets get out of here before it all hits the fan'. Sucked in 'Leavers' your on your own.

It is so true nausea they have all thrown a hand grenade and done a runner. To be honest I haven't seen anything like this before. It was like 'Are you kidding? We won? Hell lets get out of here before it all hits the fan'. Sucked in 'Leavers' your on your own.

It's not as if your Aussie dollar has been doing any better these past few years.

From 33 to 26 .......... that's 25% down since 2013.

UK pound has dropped from 52 to 45 since 2009 ........ only 13% down.

And now you've got another hung parliament........ seems your currency and economy are worse than the UK and the EU.

Edited by MissAndry

Actually, this is exactly what the majority of politicians want - they can blame the fall on brexit rather than their own in-fighting.

Edit - MJP is right, the handling of brexit is far worse than bexit itself.

Edited by dick dasterdly

It's not as if your Aussie dollar has been doing any better this past few years.

From 33 to 26 .......... that's 30% down since 2013.

I know numerous people who just about lost their shirts on the Aussie dollar crash

It's not as if your Aussie dollar has been doing any better this past few years.

From 33 to 26 .......... that's 30% down since 2013.

Yes Right Wing Government always sees the Australian Dollar tank. The few exporters who fund the Right Wing Party benefit while the average 99% of Australians pay higher prices for imports and get stuck within the borders because the $AU isn't worth a cracker. Right Wing Government took over in 2013. Not telling me anything new here.

Yes Right Wing Government always sees the Australian Dollar tank. The few exporters who fund the Right Wing Party benefit while the average 99% of Australians pay higher prices for imports and get stuck within the borders because the $AU isn't worth a cracker. Right Wing Government took over in 2013. Not telling me anything new here.

But my point being,

Almost every country in the world is a financial disaster.

Only Thailand and the USA seem immune from the general currency malaise, and it's not as if there's any sensible reason to be seen.

Pointing to ALL the UK problems as a Brexit voter responsibility just isn't sensible.

What's Australia's excuse, and China, and Russia, and Norway, and Sweden, and Iceland ............

But despite the economic disaster everywhere,

We live at a time of widespread peace, prosperity, no lacks of food or resources, oil didn't run out.

So what's the financial explanation for it all?

Edited by MissAndry

But isn't this exactly what you wanted, leave to win and Cameron out? Well you got it. Why you are now blaming poloticians for the fallout is anyone's guess. Where is the plan that the leave campaigners had? Oops, they didn't have one either.

But my point being,

Only Thailand and the USA seem immune from the general currency malaise, and it's not as if there's any sensible reason to be seen.

Pointing to ALL the UK problems as a Brexit voter responsibility just isn't sensible.

What's Australia's excuse, and China, and Russia, and Norway, and Sweden, and Iceland ............

We live at a time of widespread peace, prosperity, no lacks of food or resources, oil didn't run out.

While every country seems to have huge amount of loans, nobody seems to talk who owns these loans to the countries? Are these other countries, financial institutions, banks..

So if a country would default, who would actually loose the money?

But my point being,

While every country seems to have huge amount of loans, nobody seems to talk who owns these loans to the countries? Are these other countries, financial institutions, banks..

So if a country would default, who would actually loose the money?

I think Greece and the '08 crash (not to mention Cyprus?) has shown us that the banks lose v little money.

They are either bailed out by the tax paying public, or the country receives loans from the IMF - which the population has to repay.

But isn't this exactly what you wanted, leave to win and Cameron out?

No, Cameron should have exited the EU, then resigned.

He's welshed on the deal, and given all his corrupt buddies a way to wiggle out.

Cameron had no responsibility to stay and exit the EU, if he hadn't resigned all the leavers would be calling for him to. You have got what you voted for and now things are looking a bit dodgy you have already started blaming everyone but yourselves.

He's welshed on the deal, and given all his corrupt buddies a way to wiggle out.

I'd agree - if there was a plan in place in the event of brexit winning.

As it turns out there wasn't - and the country (and the markets) have been left in limbo until politicians sort themselves out sad.png .

attachicon.gifTHB-GBP.gif

Source: xe.com

That's tough for British people retired in Thailand.

Now do the same chart for THB Vs any other western currency (excluding USD), the pound is doing relatively well.

A the start of WWII the GBP against the Dutch guilder was about 7,5 to 1. During the war it rose to 10,5 to 1, and since then it has slowly declined to now (including the Euro exchange) about 2,5 to 1.

Cameron had no responsibility to stay and exit the EU, if he hadn't resigned all the leavers would be calling for him to. You have got what you voted for and now things are looking a bit dodgy you have already started blaming everyone but yourselves.

I didn't vote, I have no responsibility of any sort.

Why don't I vote: If I lose I'm unhappy, if I win I end up being cheated out of my win by lying, cheating, self-serving politicians.

So best not to, then it wasn't my problem.

Edited by MissAndry

Now do the same chart for THB Vs any other western currency (excluding USD), the pound is doing relatively well.

Really? The Euro has fallen by about 2 percent since the Brexit vote. The Canadian dollar also. Australian Also. And the U.S. Dollar has also fallen by slightly less than 1 percent. Whereas the pound has fallen by about 13 percent. That seems like quite a difference to me.

I didn't vote, I have no responsibility of any sort.

Why don't I vote: If I lose I'm unhappy, if I win I end up being cheated out of my win by lying, cheating, self-serving politicians.

So best not to, then it wasn't my problem.

Not your place to moan about Cameron either then, just accept and move on.

Really? The Euro has fallen by about 2 percent since the Brexit vote. The Canadian dollar also. Australian Also. And the U.S. Dollar has also fallen by slightly less than 1 percent. Whereas the pound has fallen by about 13 percent. That seems like quite a difference to me.

As you may have noticed by now the Brexit guys have their heads up their ...'er, jumpers, re sterling right now.

As you may have noticed by now the Brexit guys have their heads up their ...'er, jumpers, re sterling right now.

Missing your point as all politicians have their "heads up their jumpers".

Hence the fall in sterling over the last couple of days.

Let's see if Theresa May gets the nod as Tory leader. As a 'remainer' she could then justifiably state she feels the public must have a new say via a fresh election, along with perhaps an attached 'updated' referendum question:

No she couldn't. She's not standing for the leadership as a Remainer. She's standing as a contender for the position of negotiating the Brexit.

That's her declared position at the moment, having kept a very low profile during the in out campaigning.

Of course, would be very convenient if, as the majority of constitutional law experts claim, a vote of parliament is required before the government can act on a referendum. Then she could say that reluctantly she has to abide by that parliamentary vote which would most likely be a large majority to stay. She wouldn't even have to call a general election and could carry on as leader.

Crafty - as a barrel load of monkey's, all of them.

EU have already said that no informal negotiations before article 50 invoked. And no PM is going to do that unless they are very very sure of the legality.

A the start of WWII the GBP against the Dutch guilder was about 7,5 to 1. During the war it rose to 10,5 to 1, and since then it has slowly declined to now (including the Euro exchange) about 2,5 to 1.

Are your Gilders still legal tender?

Let's see if Theresa May gets the nod as Tory leader. As a 'remainer' she could then justifiably state she feels the public must have a new say via a fresh election, along with perhaps an attached 'updated' referendum question:

No she couldn't. She's not standing for the leadership as a Remainer. She's standing as a contender for the position of negotiating the Brexit.

That's her declared position at the moment, having kept a very low profile during the in out campaigning.

Of course, would be very convenient if, as the majority of constitutional law experts claim, a vote of parliament is required before the government can act on a referendum. Then she could say that reluctantly she has to abide by that parliamentary vote which would most likely be a large majority to stay. She wouldn't even have to call a general election and could carry on as leader.

Crafty - as a barrel load of monkey's, all of them.

EU have already said that no informal negotiations before article 50 invoked. And no PM is going to do that unless they are very very sure of the legality.

I agree with your post, apart from the last sentance. I'm still hoping that is not true - that a 'leave' politician will have the determination to say 'this was the result of the referendum, and I'm invoking article 50'.

We all live in hope of a politician that will actually deliver on the electorates wishes.....