What is it with BTS?

NoshowJones

For years I have avoided the BTS as much as possible and either walked, got a bus, or used the MRT, because of having to queue twice for a ticket.

Last week. I had to use the BTS and was surprised when I was given a ticket at the kiosk, I thought maybe they had changed their policy. Two days later,

things were back to normal, I went to the Kiosk, handed over a 100Bt note hoping for a ticket and change, then was told to go and get a ticket at the machine.

Does the person in the kiosk suit themselves on whether they give you a ticket, or just change and you have to go to the machine, or is there another reason?

Edited by possum1931

They're just trying to get you to do the obvious thing, get a prepaid anti-whinging card and you don't have to queue at all.

I am usually only in Bangkok for a couple of days at a time, I know you can buy an all day ticket, but that is only OK if the business you are doing is nearby BTS stations.

If you don't have the mentality to answer a serious post, just leave it and run along.crazy.gifcrazy.gif

Having to deal only with machines is something I really hate and it's becoming more and more common in the subways of western cities.

Here in Paris there are still (less and less) people sitting on chairs at kiosks, but most of them are only supposed to "inform" travellers and don't sell tickets anymore. Go figure.

I would suppose that in a country where labour costs are cheap, one would avoid this nonsense, but obviously not.

They're just trying to get you to do the obvious thing, get a prepaid anti-whinging card and you don't have to queue at all.

I am usually only in Bangkok for a couple of days at a time, I know you can buy an all day ticket, but that is only OK if the business you are doing is nearby BTS stations.

If you don't have the mentality to answer a serious post, just leave it and run along.crazy.gifcrazy.gif

Just buy a rabbit card, put some money on it and be done with it. It can stay there for long periods. Saves me a lot of time when I use it.

Just buy a rabbit card, put some money on it and be done with it. It can stay there for long periods. Saves me a lot of time when I use it.

Thanks Robbok, I will google it, I only go to Bangkok maybe about every two months, then only a couple of days at a time.

It is nice to get a proper answer, instead of the crap you get from some posters, though only a very small minority.

The answer is simple. Invest a few hundred baht in a stored value Rabbit card to avoid the lines of people who don't have one. The credit lasts for a couple of years or you can use it to pay for purchases at places like Coffee World, Burger King, McDonalds etc. etc. often receiving a 10% discount or sometimes, a buy 1 get 1 free coffee.

Edited by kkerry

I've been a Bangkok part-timer for a few years. I have both the MRT and BTS (Rabbit) top-up passes. They're 150 baht, or were when I bought several years ago. Lineups are a thing of the past for a pass holder. I recharge when I'm at a less busy station.

Tip: If you're 60 years and up, MRT discounts your fares 50%. The BTS restricts the Elder card to Thai citizens.

To anyone who visits BKK first time and uses BTS and sees long queues to get coins to join another queue to purchase a ticket. I say welcome to the city of inefficiency and inconvenience, if you haven't found out already !

So you've avoided the BTS for years rather than work out how to use it properly.

Like others have said - Rabbit card. Bangkok 101.

No, I know very well how to use it, it is very simple, but if you read my OP, I said I object to queueing up twice for

the one thing, and if possible, I walk, use a bus, or the MRT where you only queue once.

I do not live in Bangkok, so a rabbit card would not suit me, and a lot of times my business is not near BTS stations.

To anyone who visits BKK first time and uses BTS and sees long queues to get coins to join another queue to purchase a ticket. I say welcome to the city of inefficiency and inconvenience, if you haven't found out already !

How very true, the MRT has the right idea, buy a ticket, go through the turnstyle, job done, not like the time wasting nonsense from the BTS.

Unless of course it suits you to get a Rabbit card.

So you've avoided the BTS for years rather than work out how to use it properly.

No, I know very well how to use it, it is very simple, but if you read my OP, I said I object to queueing up twice for

the one thing, and if possible, I walk, use a bus, or the MRT where you only queue once.

I do not live in Bangkok, so a rabbit card would not suit me, and a lot of times my business is not near BTS stations.

I live in Bangkok and travel to HK and Singapore each 2-3 times a year for work. I have an Octopus card and an EZ-Link card I keep with spare bits of cash from each city after each visit, which I stick back in the wallet when heading out again. Not having a Rabbit card is sheer laziness.

I live in Bangkok and travel to HK and Singapore each 2-3 times a year for work. I have an Octopus card and an EZ-Link card I keep with spare bits of cash from each city after each visit, which I stick back in the wallet when heading out again. Not having a Rabbit card is sheer laziness.

"Not having a Rabbit card is sheer laziness"

No it is not, it depends on a persons individual circumstances. I regularly go to Fortune Town, Asoke and Hualompong train station, so

why should I buy a Rabbit card? Most times the MRT suits me better.

You should buy a rabbit card because you're complaining about having to queue to get a ticket.

You stated a problem. Countless people pointed out the solution. For some reason you seem to want to reject it.

Edited by SoiBiker

I think people are missing the point. The OP has the time to rebutt the advice given and also the time to queue. Time is not an issue for the OP. If time was the issue the OP would have purchased a rabbit card a long time ago.

What the OP doesn't like is the inefficiency of having to wait in two queues instead of one queue - he is in effect noting that the system could be improved.

I agree. The BTS could improve their process, but they won't. The only real improvement will come with the Spider (all in one) card.

I don't think there is too much to complain about when it comes to the BTS. It is clean, safe, frequent and affordable. so you have to queue to buy a ticket.Buy a Rabbit Card. Problem solved. An integrated card that covers the MRT and BTS would be brilliant. It will come eventually.

My response was very serious but perhaps you "don't have the mentality" to understand it.

The location of the the business you are doing has no bearing on whether you get a ticket from a machine or from the staff which is what you were complaining about.

Rabbit cards are not the only answer, a BTS Sky SmartPass is valid for 5 years. For those who don't use the Skytrain regularly stored credit is valid for 2 years from the date of issue of the card, or from the last refill, or when last used for travel.

sick.gifsick.gifsick.gifsick.gif

My response was very serious but perhaps you "don't have the mentality" to understand it.

The location of the the business you are doing has no bearing on whether you get a ticket from a machine or from the staff which is what you were complaining about.

So what was the "anti whinging" remark about? I call that being nasty, I have only asked if anyone knows the reason for something.sick.gif

Edited by possum1931

See my earlier post #11. Occasionally during peak hours, preloaded single tickets for some of the most commonly used destinations are made available directly to cut down on queues. This requires extra work for the staff so you'd only be likely to see it at major stations such as Asoke, Siam etc, and only during very busy times.

Edited by lamyai3

Rabbit cards are not the only answer, a BTS Sky SmartPass is valid for 5 years. For those who don't use the Skytrain regularly stored credit is valid for 2 years from the date of issue of the card, or from the last refill, or when last used for travel.

I would love to see possum turn up at a BTS station and try asking for one... biggrin.png

A Rabbit card is the way to go these days, but maybe possum has his 300 baht invested in the short term money market and sees a Rabbit card as a poor investment, unlike the rest of us Rabbit enabled users who don't need to line up to buy a ticket every time they ride...