Oscar Pistorius sentenced to 6 years in prison for murder of girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp

webfact

Oscar Pistorius sentenced to 6 years in prison for murder
CHRISTOPHER TORCHIA, Associated Press
GERALD IMRAY, Associated Press

PRETORIA, South Africa (AP) — Oscar Pistorius has been sentenced to six years in prison for the murder of girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.

Pistorius stood and faced Judge Thokozile Masipa as she announced the sentence in a South African courtroom on Wednesday.

Pistorius was facing a possible 15-year jail term for shooting Steenkamp through a toilet cubicle door at his home in 2013, but Masipa said substantial and compelling circumstances existed in the double-amputee Olympic runner's case to give him a lesser sentence.

Steenkamp's parents, Barry and June, were present in the courtroom, which was packed with relatives of both Pistorius and Steenkamp and other observers.

In reading out the sentence, Judge Masipa said Pistorius was a "fallen hero."

The judge ordered a recess to give prosecutors and Pistorius' defense lawyers time to decide if either wanted to appeal the sentence.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-07-06

Out in less than three probably........bah.gif .....Money talks.....Bulls**t walks......coffee1.gif

Will be a minimum of 3 before any parole hearing, and money and might i add race, before someone chirps,in have nothing to do with it...Pistorius is bankrupt

Try watching the court proceedings and you will see the judges reasoning in passing this sentence, if the prosecution disputes this 6 years they will appeal...

So maybe educate youself on the actual proceedings before bleating on about moneytalks

Edited by Bunnychow

Exactly what I thought he'd get. Well done, judge, the correct sentence.

Of course, nowhere near enough for the vengeful, blood-thirsty lot on Thaivisa. tongue.png

I dont agree with 6 years, i would have expected 8 to 10, it was never going to be 15...but if you watch the summation by the judge you can kinda see where this 6 years came from

Of course, nowhere near enough for the vengeful, blood-thirsty lot on Thaivisa. tongue.png

I dont agree with 6 years, i would have expected 8 to 10, it was never going to be 15...but if you watch the summation by the judge you can kinda see where this 6 years came from

Yes, I watched and listened - painfully - to it all.

They're saying possibly out in two. I don't know the SA justice system, but why is this woman still judging this case? She has too much sympathy for OP. Any normal person and they would get the minimum 15. Fact: he killed her! Hoping they re-appeal and somehow get her removed.

They're saying possibly out in two. I don't know the SA justice system, but why is this woman still judging this case? She has too much sympathy for OP. Any normal person and they would get the minimum 15. Fact: he killed her! Hoping they re-appeal and somehow get her removed.

You just answered your own question.

"I don't know the SA justice system, but why is this woman still judging this case?"

It was answered in the BBC interview with a reporter in SA.

Edited by JetsetBkk

Well like you "they" dont know the justice system for murder will have to do at least 50% of this sentence ie 3 years before any talk of parole and parole is not a given, he can still end up doing 6..

Edited by Bunnychow

Yes, I watched and listened - painfully - to it all.

..some of those legal references were a bit trying

he should have got 10 years , minimum.

Technically speaking he should have got 15, but the judge has the power to decide on an indivdual basis what sentence should be applied under the specific circumstances of the case, to me 8 to 10 would have been more approprate, the Prosecutor, may yet appeal this, they have nothing to lose, where as the defence had everthing to lose if they take it too appeal

He murdered his girlfriend,life ,no parole, lucky there is no hanging these days. Just a few years in prison watching tv and eating three meals a day

What a pathetic joke of a justice system to allow the original judge who from her summing up and sentencing concluded that her opinion for her original finding was correct and the appeal judges with the guilty of murder verdict are wrong. Condolences to the Steemkamp family at the findings of this pathetic excuse for a justice system and judge.

Thety are now saying that it is likely he will only spend a year in prison ., no justice .

And who is "they" ?

he will do a mininum of 3 years, further if the prosecution appeal the sentence in the higher court, chances are he will get a few more years tacked on.

I knew a female judge in northern California when I resided there, long ago.

The stress from the job was such that she committed suicide. Attached a tube to the exhaust pipe of her car - channeled to the inside, where she with all windows closed. Just sayin'.

He murdered a Sheila.

6 years, you've got to be joking.

I hope someone runs one of his blades up his arse in the monkey house.

He's a liar and a evil man who killed a woman for nothing.

I hope that that prison has a BUBBA there to Pistorius as a human toilet.

What is it with TV visa members fixation with this Bubba ? Seems too many on here have a fantasy about being anally raped by a large black gentleman in a jail cell

I hope that that prison has a BUBBA there to Pistorius as a human toilet.

What is it with TV visa members fixation with this Bubba ? Seems too many on here have a fantasy about being anally raped by a large black gentleman in a jail cell

I thought it was something to do with shrimp boats. huh.png