No dancing before 6 PM!

JSixpack

The GoGos in Bangkok are a different situation- Nana Plaza and soi Cowboy are blocking the expansion that is planned on Sukhumvit road. They will be easily shut down simply by buying up the land they are under. The landowners hold the key in Bangkok. In Pattaya- the Army holds the key and they plan on locking the door. I don't relish it; I don't necessarily agree with it; but as the moon and sun are in the sky- it will happen. The die is cast .

As long as prostitution is illegal and alcohol consumption is heavily taxed and regulated, only how it is 'managed' will possibly change. This is Thailand after all where providing illicit sex for locals is much greater than the foreign market.

In Vietnam, prostitution is also illegal and the authorities didn't like it 'in your face' way before any tourists started coming. So they closed the massage shops in the cities but moved them into suburban or coastal locations, much like La Zona in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico.

I think that Bang Sare will make a perfect location for Pattaya's relocated sex industry with the new Highway 7 extensions whisking those in search of more salacious day and night activities well clear of Pattaya's new-found, squeaky clean homeliness.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NO harm done….TQ is one of the crappiest daytime gogos with some very over the hill staff and some ridiculous prices for use of their shabby back rooms.

Venues like soi 6, the telephone bar and the generously scattered gentlemen's venues more than fill the afternoon slot for the discerning punter.

As I said, one doesn't go to the TQ for the software, especially in the day time.

(Having white hairs on your balls helps)

Perfect for mingling with the I-fell-off-my-Harley-20-years-ago club….one of the laziest gogos I ever set foot in.

Every trip I buckle and go in to see if anythings changed….nope…..so one drink and Im out.

The bingo players can have it.

Let me see if I get this straight; every time you go to Pattaya you visit TQ, a place you don't like, on the off chance it has magically morphed into a place of your liking???

Tell you what, there is a place far out on the darkside called Unrealistic Expectations a go-go. Suggest you give it a try.

The old Pattaya Administration no longer exists. The Army is in control and the Army wants to get rid of the GoGo business and as many spots that cater to underage workers, and foreign bar owners. Their plan is to keep restricting hours; dancing; and closing. Eventually the sexpats will head for greener pastures and the bar owners will disappear. Within 10 years most will be just a dream of the past. the goal of Pattaya is a place for Thais and their families as well as the Chinese. Neither need or want the current entertainment that exists. The people running this country are very conservative and want to improve Thailand's reputation in the World. This time the clean up is for real because even when there are elections the Army will still be looking over the shoulders of every local administration in every province.

Oh my God Thailand is coming to an end! Been hearing this for over 20 years. Have there been changes over the years, sure some things got a little stricter but the tourists just keep coming.

When I first came to Thailand they only had about 5-6 million visitors back then and we thought that was allot. Now there are over 25 million per year.

as for the military trying to get ride of go-go's, If this was true then why did the military wait 2 years to start??? Nothing is changing, A new guy is in charge and as always happens when a new guy is in charge he is strict at first to let everyone know who is in charge. Then the envelopes start coming in and it's business as usual.

The Government dislikes prostitution; GoGo Bars and all the kinds of entertainment places that lure in underage workers; dancers as well as the type of tourist that all this appeals to. They could close all of them if they wanted to today. However, that will cause massive unemployment all at once and create too much disruption and possibly protests on the street. The easier way is to harass the owners; raid places; ban dancing; move up closing times. All this will make the business unprofitable and keep punters away and headed for other countries. Their plan is the Thai way- do it all gradually and let it happen naturally. The smart owners will understand what is happening and get out of the business or possibly adapt to the changes and cater more to family oriented tourists or the Chinese.

Dude seems you have not been in Thailand a long time. Raids on go-go's, discos and beer bars have been going on for years all over Thailand. Even the all Thai dance places. All the owners know the game when getting into it. Even before this coup bar owners got harassed from time to time. Thai way?? ah Thai way is ignore everything.

NO harm done.TQ is one of the crappiest daytime gogos with some very over the hill staff and some ridiculous prices for use of their shabby back rooms.

Venues like soi 6, the telephone bar and the generously scattered gentlemen's venues more than fill the afternoon slot for the discerning punter.

As I said, one doesn't go to the TQ for the software, especially in the day time.

(Having white hairs on your balls helps)

Perfect for mingling with the I-fell-off-my-Harley-20-years-ago club.one of the laziest gogos I ever set foot in.

Every trip I buckle and go in to see if anythings changed.nope..so one drink and Im out.

The bingo players can have it.

Let me see if I get this straight; every time you go to Pattaya you visit TQ, a place you don't like, on the off chance it has magically morphed into a place of your liking???

Tell you what, there is a place far out on the darkside called Unrealistic Expectations a go-go. Suggest you give it a try.

I know...it is a morbid fascination of mine...im just an eternal optimist i suppose.

The fact that i usually set up camp at soi 13 doesnt hurt....its just 2 min away by foot.

The old Pattaya Administration no longer exists. The Army is in control and the Army wants to get rid of the GoGo business and as many spots that cater to underage workers, and foreign bar owners. Their plan is to keep restricting hours; dancing; and closing. Eventually the sexpats will head for greener pastures and the bar owners will disappear. Within 10 years most will be just a dream of the past. the goal of Pattaya is a place for Thais and their families as well as the Chinese. Neither need or want the current entertainment that exists. The people running this country are very conservative and want to improve Thailand's reputation in the World. This time the clean up is for real because even when there are elections the Army will still be looking over the shoulders of every local administration in every province.

Doing the right thing for the wrong reason.

More than likely the 'cleanup' is just a continuation of tightening the noose on their political enemies and their funding. Team yellow is here to stay this time. They are out to ruin anyone related to Taksin.

Thailand is in a civil war and most don't realize it. The velvet sledgehammer approach.

Walking st/ go gos are a big tourist attraction so will remain intact. All the rest of the bars are just in for more regulations under this admin. Rent will have more impact on them.

Pattaya is just becoming Bangkok By the Bay. Weekends full of Thais and full of Indians and Asians on cheap tours. Prostitution in Pattaya isnt going anywhere.

Edited by morrobay

What does TQ mean? Please don't be lazy with your typing.

I believe it's a bar called Tahitian Queen (TQ) on Beach Road in Pattaya

A Pattaya stalwart.Is TQ2 still going?I used to pop around there with Stoney for an hour or two.The US navy was in town and i never paid for a drink and a free singlet.

Jeez speaking of stalwarts. Poor old Stoney, bloody legend, RIP old mate.

Yeah.Had to tolerate that bloody Collingwood jumper to watch the footy.I used to bus down from Korat most weekends,but the early drinking would do me in.

The TQ is one of the oldest gogos in the area.The original owners also had the Mississippi Queen on Pat Pong One where some of the scenes of the movie "Apocalypse Now" was filmed in 1979.I remember that the movie company paid the stand ins 500 baht ($25) a day plus food,beer and babes..

What scene in Apocalypse Now was that go-go in? It's my all-time favorite film, I've even got the rough 5h VHS copy, in which Willard wakes up with a working girl in the beginning, but I can't recall a go-go scene. Honest question, I'm intrigued, didn't know any scenes were shoot in Thailand

The movie was shot in P.I.more money for Marcos on the chopper deal.I think he is getting his Ap.Now mixed up with Deerhunter.

The GoGos in Bangkok are a different situation- Nana Plaza and soi Cowboy are blocking the expansion that is planned on Sukhumvit road. They will be easily shut down simply by buying up the land they are under. The landowners hold the key in Bangkok. In Pattaya- the Army holds the key and they plan on locking the door. I don't relish it; I don't necessarily agree with it; but as the moon and sun are in the sky- it will happen. The die is cast .

As long as prostitution is illegal and alcohol consumption is heavily taxed and regulated, only how it is 'managed' will possibly change. This is Thailand after all where providing illicit sex for locals is much greater than the foreign market.

In Vietnam, prostitution is also illegal and the authorities didn't like it 'in your face' way before any tourists started coming. So they closed the massage shops in the cities but moved them into suburban or coastal locations, much like La Zona in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico.

I think that Bang Sare will make a perfect location for Pattaya's relocated sex industry with the new Highway 7 extensions whisking those in search of more salacious day and night activities well clear of Pattaya's new-found, squeaky clean homeliness.

So tourists are going to come to a crappy little beach and can't even swim,if their smart.

Thanks, I just wish some posters will stop using initials unless for the obvious.

It's their way of showing us how cool they are and in the know.

TQ, Patts, LOS.

Thailand is money number one. However, the Chinese will never become sex tourists in Thailand. Thailand can make more money on the normal tourist business from the Chinese and Indians and domestic tourism of Thais coming for the weekends and long holidays. The money is in numbers and between the Chinese and Indians there are about 3 billion virtually untapped visitors who will spend much more as regular tourists Thailand no longer needs the sex entertainment business. Too many problems- drugs; HIV; underage Prostitutes; ladyboys-bad foreign press. It won't happen overnight but in 10 years time there will be a huge transformation very evident for all to see.

Let's hope the domestic entertainment market is included in this "transformation".

Thailand is money number one. However, the Chinese will never become sex tourists in Thailand. Thailand can make more money on the normal tourist business from the Chinese and Indians and domestic tourism of Thais coming for the weekends and long holidays. The money is in numbers and between the Chinese and Indians there are about 3 billion virtually untapped visitors who will spend much more as regular tourists Thailand no longer needs the sex entertainment business. Too many problems- drugs; HIV; underage Prostitutes; ladyboys-bad foreign press. It won't happen overnight but in 10 years time there will be a huge transformation very evident for all to see.

Let's hope the domestic entertainment market is included in this "transformation".

Dont forget that most of these so called normal businesses, hotels, restaurants, condo, golf courses and of course all nightlife related came into Pattaya riding piggy back

on sex tourism Not so sure you can just remove that understated base and still have sustainable tourism.

Take a look at the Pattaya bad news clippings. Do you think those problems are just going to disappear if sex entertainment is removed ?

Edited by morrobay

For people on this forum that think there are licenses for selling alcohol or even open a bar 24 hours in Thailand, feel free to post one here, otherwise don't try to make a fool of yourself with your comments.

A comment that agrees with you? biggrin.png Nor do the licenses forbid (the point you're ignoring) any dancing in the afternoon. If any do, feel free to post one here. ;)

Contrary to your earlier contention, however, there are venues that sell alcohol all night. Foodland, for example. Local shops sell between 2 - 5 PM. Nor is any bar or shop "supposed" to close "outside of alcohol selling hours." Hence so many bars and pubs in PTY do sell between 2 - 5. And all of them should of course. ;)

And why would they get rid of all the arbitrary hours & that, because Jsixpack can't live without alcohol in the afternoon?

A defender of arbitrary hours! facepalm.gif Who tells you when to eat, sleep, and shit then?

Obviously we live in very different universes.

BTW, you can have coffee if you like. TQ makes a good cuppa at only a few baht more than nearby Starbucks. Not before 6 PM at present, however.

Nah, merely for the same reason Las Vegas entertainment venues are open 24 hours. If owners find it profitable to stay open for customers in the early morning hours, what's the problem? I don't often stay out late nowadays but don't see why others, esp. tourists come here to party, might not enjoy themselves as owners make money and staff have jobs.

The "no dancing" rule continues.

Dont forget that most of these so called normal businesses, hotels, restaurants, condo, golf courses and of course all nightlife related came into Pattaya riding piggy back

on sex tourism Not so sure you can just remove that understated base and still have sustainable tourism.

Take a look at the Pattaya bad news clippings. Do you think those problems are just going to disappear if sex entertainment is removed ?

I know that in most tourist destinations the world over you'll get undesirables being drawn into the action when ever the place get big enough, regardless if there is a big prostitution scene there or not. I for one hopes that the P4P industry is here to stay forever.

The first sentence of this very informative post said it was about daytime Go Go bars in Pattaya (well it was in the Pattaya forum).

The second line listed some of them including one called "TQ".

It could not be clearer what TQ was.

But shock, horror he gave the commonly used name. He is obviously very "Jai Dam" and deserves the flaming for being lazy and trying to be cool.

It used to be called TQ2 ... for Tahitian Queen 2. There was a TQ1. The name was such a mouthful to say it always abbreviated even in speech.

Nothing to do with trying to be cool .. its always been abbreviated and it says TQ prominently on the sign outside.

Personally I act cool by wearing camouflage shorts, wearing my "Good guys go to heaven, Bad guys go to Pattaya" T shirt to open air bars, next to grid locked main roads at 10 in the morning. Cool or what.

The first sentence of this very informative post said it was about daytime Go Go bars in Pattaya (well it was in the Pattaya forum).

The second line listed some of them including one called "TQ".

It could not be clearer what TQ was.

But shock, horror he gave the commonly used name. He is obviously very "Jai Dam" and deserves the flaming for being lazy and trying to be cool.

It used to be called TQ2 ... for Tahitian Queen 2. There was a TQ1. The name was such a mouthful to say it always abbreviated even in speech.

Nothing to do with trying to be cool .. its always been abbreviated and it says TQ prominently on the sign outside.

Personally I act cool by wearing camouflage shorts, wearing my "Good guys go to heaven, Bad guys go to Pattaya" T shirt to open air bars, next to grid locked main roads at 10 in the morning. Cool or what.

Deep thoughts there....

Yeah sorry. I think someone being called lazy or acting cool for calling a bar "TQ" when said bar has a sign outside saying "TQ" got to me in a happy smiley way.

My first post for about a year.

Tahitian Queen 2 when full of beer always came out as "Ok .. for the great music next itsssssh the Taheeeeeeeeshun Quuuu ... damn .. I mean TQ next.

Let's bow our head in a minute of silence for the Pattaya sexpat community. Pitch black they for the quality "expats".

Turns out you hardly need to be a "sexpat" to enjoy living in a red light area. Check out the the quality locals in Blighty:

Residents of red light areas 'ENJOY living there and say it's better than daytime TV'

The University of Central Lancashire study also claims that that brothels boost the local economy and that their neon signs 'improve safety.' . . . Families also see the scantily dressed sex workers in nearby massage parlours as 'neighbours who put the bins out like everyone else'.

--http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/residents-red-light-areas-enjoy-8443398?ICID=ref_fark

So it is that most long-term residents aren't in fact sexpats (may well be faithfully married w/ kids) yet still enjoy the traditional Pattaya scene qua scene. It's co-existed w/ the newer development so far--even expanded over into Soi Buakhow and north 2nd Rd--and why not. But it does seem the fascists are pursuing a "death by a thousand cuts" strategy against it. What makes it more successful is the decline in the numbers of the traditional Western (male) tourists. Weakened by the economy, the bars can be pushed around more easily.

In your dreams. Pattaya is a cash cow for the whole of Thailand. However,the vice may move to LK Metro and soi buakao. Eventually the army, who are reviled by the people, will be put in their place just by the force of economics and popular will.

... It used to be called TQ2 ... for Tahitian Queen 2. There was a TQ1. ...

Once upon a time, there WAS a bar called the TQ2.

Meanwhile, the original TQ (that was never, ever called TQ1) is STILL where it ALWAYS has been.

The end.

Note: Just to keep this on topic, the TQ day-time shift still kicks-off at 6 PM... unfortunately.

Edited by NanLaew

TQ as Nan Laew says, was always the TQ it used to be the one spot of light on a very dark beach road after Royal Garden.

TQ2 was located off Walking street, and was owned by Steve Blumenthal who died suddenly of a heart attack whilst playing squash at the Ambassador Hotel at the end of 2006.

TQ was as Nan Laew says, was always the TQ it used to be the one spot of light on a very dark beach road after Royal Garden.

TQ2 was located off Walking street, and was owned by Steve Blumenthal who died suddenly of a heart attack whilst playing squash at the Ambassador Hotel at the end of 2006.

Yep, Steve took over TQ2 from Kim Fletcher, now very much of Jameson's.

Off Walking St. specifically on Soi BJ. (BJ, yuk, yuk. Hot button! Sorry, posters, different etymology.)

Pic of TQ2 after an annual "snowy" Xmas party:

post-14882-0-06118900-1469013467_thumb.j

Note sign outside on left says TQ2, though I suppose it could be read by our mathematicians as TQ2.

Edited by JSixpack

TQ was as Nan Laew says, was always the TQ it used to be the one spot of light on a very dark beach road after Royal Garden.

Off Walking St. specifically on Soi BJ. (BJ, yuk, yuk. Hot button! Sorry, posters, different etymology.)

attachicon.gifTQ2_cr.jpg

Note sign outside on left says TQ2, though I suppose it could be read by our mathematicians as TQ2.

Interestingly, Jimmy Page (of Led Zeppelin fame) has been a notorious patron of both Tahitian Queen and Jameson's. No idea about TQ2 though.

TQ dates back to 1978 and is a piece of history. It's pretty discreet and has nothing more offensive than girls in bikinis dancing inside, but it's a real throwback to the days of old. It's a shame the way they feel they have to meddle with just about everything.

On a side note, the name Soi BJ is actually quite innocuous, it's named after Brian Jones, a Vietnam veteran who had a nightclub there a long time ago. In recent years he runs the BJ holiday Lodge down on soi 3.

attachicon.gifTQ2_cr.jpg

Interestingly, Jimmy Page (of Led Zeppelin fame) has been a notorious patron of both Tahitian Queen and Jameson's. No idea about TQ2 though.

TQ dates back to 1978 and is a piece of history. It's pretty discreet and has nothing more offensive than girls in bikinis dancing inside, but it's a real throwback to the days of old. It's a shame the way they feel they have to meddle with just about everything.

On a side note, the name Soi BJ is actually quite innocuous, it's named after Brian Jones, a Vietnam veteran who had a nightclub there a long time ago. In recent years he runs the BJ holiday Lodge down on soi 3.

TQ and TQ2 staggered their happy hours so that savvy Cheap Charlies might go from one to the other.

Not he formerly of The Rolling Stones but rather Bill Jones. More by Mighty Mouse here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/56390-what-was-thailand-like-years-ago/page-2#entry607107

A shame, yes.