Chiang Mai Chosen #2 in the World!

FolkGuitar

My one visit to Chiang Mai made me realise how good Pattaya is. Some nice old temples but won't bother going again.

Please tell you're friends not to come too...

Friends ? Don't think he has any. In fact he seems that grumpy that he doesn't even like himself.

Thailand is cheap, not clean or nice. Chiang Mai in Thailand is one of the cheaper, not cleaner places. So that all makes sense. I like it here. Because it is cheap :)

Don't come much cheaper or any cleaner than this (except during the burning season). Central Isaan, Loeipost-248274-0-42533900-1468071984_thumb.

do people get paid for writing.Tounge in cheek stuff like this, and if so I bet holiday makers are not that impressed if they try out the ideas,chaing mai is a interesing venue in asia And okay for a week or so but second in the world

Thailand is cheap, not clean or nice. Chiang Mai in Thailand is one of the cheaper, not cleaner places. So that all makes sense. I like it here. Because it is cheap smile.png

Don't come much cheaper or any cleaner than this (except during the burning season). Central Isaan, Loeiattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

<deleted> is cheap there? Can't even get a Chang! :D

Chiang Mai is nice and affordable but to be in the top of best places in the world is insane.

Based on what>?

Museums?

Public transport?

Night life?

Air quality?

Road safety?

Exactly, Chiang Mai doesn't tick one single box, it is a broken down mess of a city, the only redeeming features are 15KM or more from the city. You can barely find a decent pavement to walk on anywhere within the old city, a crumblimg wreck of crap concrete ugly "Indian" type buildings, overcrowded roads, ugly construction, terrible electrics, it is basically a slum! If you dumped the entire city of Chiang Mai in any developed country, it would come in for special grants as a run down slum in need of development, Pittsburgh, Scotswood, Glasgow, Detroit, Mumbai! Whoever put this place as number 2 in the world has had a frontal labotomy!

Edited by Generalchaos

My one visit to Chiang Mai made me realise how good Pattaya is. Some nice old temples but won't bother going again.

Well, for someone who has reached a conclusion like this, we can only say, without malice, that we are not unhappy to see you go back to the place you like better, and, please, don't feel like you need to visit again.

cheers, ~o:37;

Its the expats that make Chiangmai so nice. And the sexpats that make Pattaya such awful dump.

The "March" pollution is now extending from late January to early April....moving to the burbs is not an option if you want city life. And I don't see any possibility of a turnaround in the worsening conditions.

Someone needs to write a new version of the Monty Python song - Take a look on the dark side of life.

For a lot of the guys here the glass isn't just half empty, it's dirty, chipped and it's a rip-off - you can buy a large bottle at that price, in the store in my village.

We all know about the pollution, noise, rains, construction, road deaths....

BUT if we take an honest look at all cities in USA, Europe, Asia and elsewhere......it's really pretty good

and again....it all depends what YOU like..

oh you live in a very wet place and visit Chiang Mai in rainy season, might not be fun. etc....

i like the mountains. cheap housing and cheap food. but those pesky visas get old...

The magazine is called Travel+Leisure. It's not called "Places to Live". It's all about nice places for a short holiday for Americans. If you've never been to Chiang Mai, it is a pleasant place for a holiday -- during the right time of year. Surely most of us would agree on that.

So... Nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there.

i Think most people like it here is because it is affordable, in my situation I could think of at least 20 other other places I would rather live, but they are simply too expensive.

If price was no option I would leave today.

The magazine is called Travel+Leisure. It's not called "Places to Live". It's all about nice places for a short holiday for Americans. If you've never been to Chiang Mai, it is a pleasant place for a holiday -- during the right time of year. Surely most of us would agree on that.

So... Nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there.

I didn't say that. I simply am highlighting the point of the article. If you noticed, they made a point of listing places all around the globe and different types of places -- beaches, mountains, urban areas, rural areas, etc. They tried to have a balanced listing. Don't read more into the article than was intended is all I'm saying.

Of course, these type of threads turn into a slag-fest for living in Chiang Mai, don't they? Some people just can't resist.

Thailand is cheap, not clean or nice. Chiang Mai in Thailand is one of the cheaper, not cleaner places. So that all makes sense. I like it here. Because it is cheap smile.png

Don't come much cheaper or any cleaner than this (except during the burning season). Central Isaan, Loeiattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I thought that was a CM photo. This is what CM looks like as soon as i cycle out of the city. Photos like this are possible after 5 or 6 KM.

I live out in a village as well but I drive in to Chiang Mai every day. I seldom go to the old city anymore, but last week two twenty something friends of my youngest son in Canada stayed with us for a couple of days. It was interesting to see the city through their eyes, all the little cafes, motorbike rentals, small winding sois etc. I lived inside the old city in a rented house for more than two years but that was quite some time ago. I can see how a young traveler could fall in love with it as I did when I got here.

I live out in a village as well but I drive in to Chiang Mai every day. I seldom go to the old city anymore, but last week two twenty something friends of my youngest son in Canada stayed with us for a couple of days. It was interesting to see the city through their eyes, all the little cafes, motorbike rentals, small winding sois etc. I lived inside the old city in a rented house for more than two years but that was quite some time ago. I can see how a young traveler could fall in love with it as I did when I got here.

Children get up early because they still get excited about life. Young people get excited about Chiang Mai for the same reason; they still get excited about life. Those of us who are still young at heart and mind, but perhaps growing old in body get excited about Chiang Mai for these very same reasons... We are still living and are excited about what life has to offer. Perhaps the rest have already died, just not ready to lay down yet.

... True that a casual visitor who confines himself to the inner city or wanders only to Loi Kroh Rd may not get the full dose of daily pollution ...

Travel & Leisure Magazine. Likely written poolside at Akyra Manor whilst sipping complimentary drinks and looking out over the city :)

Edited by Aussie69

These Best Places lists are as meaningful as the ClickBait you'll find at the bottom of this page.

Agree, about as useful as a best pizza thread. Every travel site has this nonsense just to haul you in to look at their "special deals"

As it low season I guess many Hotels /Resorts in CM are pretty desperate for customers as are resorts down south ,the current weather is awful for them.

If I had my choice of where to live it would be Dalat in the highlands, an hours flight north from HCM ,Vietnam.I doubt many people would have heard of it let alone been there and I won't hold my breath

waiting for it to appear on any survey.

Latest in-flight magazine from Air New Zealand has a 5 page article on Chiang Mai extolling all its positives complete with enticing photographs to match.

Seems to me different then claiming CM is the #2 holiday destination.

I would say that if i, perchance, had such a high BMI, I would naturally also get excited each morning to wake up and realise that I'm are here.

I am happy to just wake up every day, no matter where i am...Choices..

I'm sorry to hear that your BMI is so high. Yes, I can understand that you would be excited.

You really should do something about that before it turns into a problem for you.

Chiang Mai is an excellent place for you to get more exercise. I'd invite you to join the Chiang Mai Fencing club, but it might prove too much exertion for you. Chiang Mai is one of the very few cities in Thailand outside of Bangkok with its own club facilities. That's one of the things that make is so nice.

I would say that if i, perchance, had such a high BMI, I would naturally also get excited each morning to wake up and realise that I'm are here.

I'm sorry to hear that your BMI is so high. Yes, I can understand that you would be excited.

You really should do something about that before it turns into a problem for you.

Chiang Mai is an excellent place for you to get more exercise. I'd invite you to join the Chiang Mai Fencing club, but it might prove too much exertion for you. Chiang Mai is one of the very few cities in Thailand outside of Bangkok with its own club facilities. That's one of the things that make is so nice.

Hmmm, your attempt at humour is about as sad as your comprehension abilities.

Note :"Perchance" was a key word in my post.rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the fencing club invite, but i have already visited, earlier this year, and the sight of one fat old man pretending he was a young gun at the time made me feel rather nauseous.. I'll pass thank you.coffee1.gif

Back on the topic, Chiang Mai is indeed a nice place to reside, fencing club or not, there are plenty of better things available to exert myself .thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the fencing club invite, but i have already visited, earlier this year, and the sight of one fat old man pretending he was a young gun at the time made me feel rather nauseous.. I'll pass thank you.coffee1.gif

That's odd... We keep very careful records of who comes to the club.

Need to for insurance purposes... You were never there. Busted! ROTFL!

Edited by FolkGuitar

That's odd... We keep very careful records of who comes to the club.

Need to for insurance purposes... You were never there. Busted! ROTFL!

ROTFL? Really??

Rather juvenile methinks.

Anyway , going on the last post of yours now we can safely also add extremely Naive to your CV..Yes?coffee1.gif