Most embarrassing.

What was your most embarrassing motorcycle experience?

Mine was forgetting to put the side stand down parking a GS850. Got to the point of no return, held it, realised I was an idiot and crumpled under the weight. Managed to crawl out from underneath it. No damage to the bike. Too wimpy to pick it up myself so had to ring doorbells asking for help. Ended up with a nice old boy in a stained wife beater helping me out.

Bought a 2nd hand scooter. Drove it around the neighborhood an hour or so. Figured out I wasn't Evil Kneivel.

4 years later, it's still parked under its scooter cover.

On the one hand, embarrassing. On the other, I'm still alive. I can live with the shame.

Edited by impulse

Parked my bike and went to walk away from it, as I was doing so I glanced back to admire it's gleaming form and tripped over falling down a set of stairs. Wound up in the emergency room where my arm was placed into a plaster cast. One of the nurses there informed me that motorcycles were very dangerous. 55555

Bought a 2nd hand scooter. Drove it around the neighborhood an hour or so. Figured out I wasn't Evil Kneivel.

On the one hand, embarrassing. On the other, I'm still alive. I can live with the shame.

Go on, ride it, you know u want to. 55555

I parked my brand new Honda CB400NA. The side stand had a bit of rubber to flick it up if you rode away with it down. Admired it as I walked away. Unfortunately as I parked it the rubber scuffed on the ground moving the stand backwards. My admiring look turned to dismay as it gently fell to the ground.

The very first time I sat on a moped, my first moped. Dad had bought it from his friend. They were there teaching me what to do. I rode the first few meters in the parking lot. Came closer to the parking barrier, panicked and ended up hanging on the barrier, while the bike continued underneath it. Great entertainment for them, most embarrassing for me.

First trip to then girlfriends village. Made a plan to meet her papa and friends to work cutting hundreds of trees in the morning. When I got to the house they were up the road in the fields already. Mama gave me a bow saw and a thermos full of coffee to take and pointed which way to go. I held one in each hand and awkwardly drove off.

When I found them they were deep in the field so I decided to ride the motorbike on the narrow path rather than walk to save time. I was wobbling and the tall grass grabbed the saw and I drove down into the pond. I looked around and thought nobody saw this and managed to get out and join them minus most of the coffee. Despite not having a common language we worked all day and they were pleased with me.

The embarrassing and funny part is on my next trip to the village for our wedding papas friends told the story of how I dumped the bike in the pond and how funny it was to them at the time.

In hindsight I found it interesting how they kept a straight face that morning as not to embarrass me, a stranger and when we became friends enjoyed giving everyone a laugh about the American driving on what I now know is a footpath and landing in the pond.

Back in my younger days I narrowly avoided severe embarrassment. Flared jeans were the rage. Pulled up at a set of traffic lights and the hem of my jeans caught on the foot peg, thought I was going over but managed to recover.

Thanks for the downer. Yes, bikes can be dangerous. 25 years after selling my fantastically fun GPZ 900R I have a 300 Honda. Keeps me sane.

Solo Trans America Road Trip on a rental Harley Sportster, I was the Wild One, Easy Rider and High Plains Drifter all in one, until I came to a toll booth and dropped a quarter. Stupidly tried to pick it up, learnt too far, heavily laden Sportster rolls slowly onto it's side with my leg pinned underneath. Took two amused but very polite Toll Booth attendants to get me and bike back upright. Only spill from Miami to LA but pride seriously dented.

When I was much younger I had bought a brand new Yamaha RD500 (V4, two-stroke) and was trying to impress some ladies with the magical sound of a V4 two-stroke engine... the clutch cable broke and the motorcycle launched with incredible speed and I was sitting on the road… Try to explain that it was the clutch cable to some girls in 1985… Even today some of my friends still ask if I checked the clutch cable if I go for a ride...

Riding my brand new 250 Honda Superdream in a car park. Saw some pretty girls ahead walking towards me. Decided that scraping the footpeg on the left hander in front of would impress them hugely. Entered the bend way too fast, front let go and I slide straight into the entrance of a gents toilet where it wedged tight enough that I needed help to pull it out.

At least The girls laughed :(

Edited by edwinchester

When I was much younger I had bought a brand new Yamaha RD500 (V4, two-stroke) and was trying to impress some ladies with the magical sound of a V4 two-stroke engine... the clutch cable broke and the motorcycle launched with incredible speed and I was sitting on the road… Try to explain that it was the clutch cable to some girls in 1985… Even today some of my friends still ask if I checked the clutch cable if I go for a ride...

Had a mate who bought an RD400E. Rocket ship with no grab rail. A jealous idiot at work thought it would fun to put some oil his front discs. Fortunatly discovered as he shot across a quiet junction.

Not me personally, but one of my mechanics who worked for me in my shop.

End of the working day, loud r'n'b music blaring, relaxing, smoking joints, cans of beer, friends round, working on our own bikes.

Said mechanic is doing an oil change on his 830cc stroker rigid framed Triumph chop.

Drain plug out. Check.

Oil drained. Check.

Refill with new oil. Check.

Er, drain plug back in?

As he was pouring it in, it was coming out just as fast out the bottom, as he stood in his own ever bigger puddle of fresh 20/50W oil...

Laugh? We were pi$$ing ourselves...

flipping a wheelie in front of my friends

Did you fall off? Can't do wheelies myself. Tried and failed.

Went too high and forgot to apply the rear break so I fell of. Won't make that mistake again...

The wheelie thing is great if you know how to do it. Not prepared to do it myself. Have had it happen unintentionally and better than purposely trying.

I had a very powerful automatic scooter with no safety kill switch when the stand is down. I just got to my friends place and got off. The bike was still idling and my friend wanted to hear it. I don't know what I was thinking, but I blipped the exhaust and the bike did a wheelie and launched down the road by itself and crashed. Riding manual bikes too long and forgot that scooters don't have neutral. I'm lucky that nobody was on the road. I'll never touch a modified scooter again. >_<

For some reason I have too many recollections of stupidity. Took my young son to a restaurant to get a take away. Started the step through before he got on. While getting on he grabbed the throttle and the front wheel rose above my head , both fell off. Could have been worse, parked on a steep riverbank.

My KZ400 in the US. Stopped at a stop light and put my right foot down to hold position. Started leaning a little to the left so put my left foot down only to have my pants leg snag on the foot peg. Couldn't free it in time as it continued falling left to the ground. More embarrassing was I was in the front of a queue of cars. biggrin.png

My KZ400 in the US. Stopped at a stop light and put my right foot down to hold position. Started leaning a little to the left so put my left foot down only to have my pants leg snag on the foot peg. Couldn't free it in time as it continued falling left to the ground. More embarrassing was I was in the front of a queue of cars. biggrin.png

I got very close to that outside a McDonald's. I was the man on my big bike and made a fool of myself. No recovery from it.

A few years ago in the big village I did a U turn on my wife'115cc Yamaha Mio Fino scooter.

For some stupid reason I thought that I was 17 years old once again (instead of 67) and half way through the turn I banged the throttle wide open not thinking about the loose dirt and grit on the road.

The scooter obliged me but the back end broke away ans I was lying in the road with a bit of gravel rash, a painful knee, wrist and elbow and a very stupid expression on my face. I remember thinking as I went down "This is going to hurt". It did.

Fortunately a couple of Thai people picked me up and switched the scooter off, They asked with a straight face if I was OK. I told them I was and thanked them before I left.

When I got home I had a severe pain in my ear for about 5 minutes from my wife who was more concerned about the scooter than me because as she pointed out at least I drove it home so I must have been OK.

A few years ago in the big village I did a U turn on my wife'115cc Yamaha Mio Fino scooter.

For some stupid reason I thought that I was 17 years old once again (instead of 67) and half way through the turn I banged the throttle wide open not thinking about the loose dirt and grit on the road.

The scooter obliged me but the back end broke away ans I was lying in the road with a bit of gravel rash, a painful knee, wrist and elbow and a very stupid expression on my face. I remember thinking as I went down "This is going to hurt". It did.

Fortunately a couple of Thai people picked me up and switched the scooter off, They asked with a straight face if I was OK. I told them I was and thanked them before I left.

When I got home I had a severe pain in my ear for about 5 minutes from my wife who was more concerned about the scooter than me because as she pointed out at least I drove it home so I must have been OK.

I do like the scooter obliged me. Recently bought a car and it is a computer on wheels. Haven't got enough years in me to understand the thing. My son loves it.

1965, a Mod, on my Lambretta, all the trendy gear on, fab bird at a bus stop, gave her the big cool smile, traffic stopped and l ploughed into the back of a car...facepalm.gif

You dork trans !

I know I know, but it was great looking bird.....wub.png

Did your mullet survive?

1.First moped (going back a long way ) only 15 miles to ride home. "Where are your gloves" Foolishly I had not even contemplated that I would need them on a cool December night "I'll be OK" and despite offer of a loan pair, rode off without them. 10 miles into the countryside ride, had to stop and piss on my hands to warm them up

2. living in Japan I purchased a Yamaha 617 cc SRX single pot. Great little bike, but no electric boot. First weekend out with the boys from work, lets go around Fuji San, we will meet on the Tomei expressway not far out of Tokyo. Sunday morning small gathering of bikers, only a few hundred all stopped for coffee. I was there early, had coffee to warm up the bones and wait for colleagues to arrive. 20 minutes later we decide to set off. I thought I had the starting technique mastered, leave on side stand, piston just past TDC, and a hefty right boot. Of course it went wrong, and I went over the handlebars and onto the pavement in front of 20 odd local bikers. If there laughter was not enough, it caused even more interest in the stupid Gaijin that I was. Pride injured and red faced ( thank goodness it was a full faced helmet ) I try again with all the energy I can muster. Thankfully it started, I was out of there. ..............

1965, a Mod, on my Lambretta, all the trendy gear on, fab bird at a bus stop, gave her the big cool smile, traffic stopped and l ploughed into the back of a car...facepalm.gif

You dork trans !

I know I know, but it was great looking bird.....wub.png