Warning-60 Visa Not Available In Myanmar Now

I tried to get a 60 tourist visa in Yangon on Monday November 13 and was refused!!! I'm an American, another westerner (Danish I believe) in the line was refused as well.

I got a 60 day visa in Yangon 3 months ago with no problem but the other westerner who was also refused had never been to Yangon before and was also refused.

After discussion the person at the window left for a minute to consult with her supervisor, when she returned she informed that it had been determined that "You have traveled enough, the visa is not available".

This is not because of the 3 re-entry visa limit. I have no 30 day re-entry visas in my passport.

So be for-warned!!!!!!!! Avoid Yangon.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"You have traveled enough,the visa is not available

amazing how these jobsworths running their pathetic little fiefdoms can get away with it.

just by making a nonsensical judgement based on who knows what and not even bothering to explain to the applicant that he may or may not be contravening any regulation by applying for and being granted his visa.

"You have traveled enough,the visa is not available

amazing how these jobsworths running their pathetic little fiefdoms can get away with it.

just by making a nonsensical judgement based on who knows what and not even bothering to explain to the applicant that he may or may not be contravening any regulation by applying for and being granted his visa.

"Nonsensical" is certainly true, at least on the surface. So where does one go for a 60 day visa now. I'm certainly hesitant to spend the time and money going to another neighboring country only to be refused again.

I tried to get a 60 tourist visa in Yangon on Monday November 13 and was refused!!! I'm an American, another westerner (Danish I believe) in the line was refused as well.

I got a 60 day visa in Yangon 3 months ago with no problem but the other westerner who was also refused had never been to Yangon before and was also refused.

After discussion the person at the window left for a minute to consult with her supervisor, when she returned she informed that it had been determined that "You have traveled enough, the visa is not available".

This is not because of the 3 re-entry visa limit. I have no 30 day re-entry visas in my passport.

So be for-warned!!!!!!!! Avoid Yangon.

First I would think it is because you are American (as America does not like Mynamar), but as the Danish did not get it as well I can forget that explanation.

But I also had strange experiences on Thai Embassy and my wife on Austrian Embassy. I think most of Embassys are a bit strange in their decisions.

So where does one go for a 60 day visa now. I'm certainly hesitant to spend the time and money going to another neighboring country only to be refused again.

Our options are becoming quite limited it would seem. Malaysia seems to be the only place left. They're going to be overrun with applicants in January. If they stop issuing TVs, we'll start seeing a mass exodus from Thailand.

I remembered I accompanied a trip with another Swedish friend to Yangon and he went to Thai Yangon embassy try to get double visa, it was about 3 months ago. And they told them Yangon embassy is for Myanmar people to go to Thailand and not for the purpose of issuing visa to other foreigners. My friend asked for this time a single visa, but they refused him as well repeating that Yangon embassy is for people of Myanmar only. They told them to get else where.

About the foreign exodus, i think it has already begun. My Bangkok sevice apartment is very empty. The manager said it has never been like this slow in his memory. He said maybe due to the military coup and also became confusing and troublesome for long stay in Thailand. I am leaving in Jan as well and be back to Asia in sep 2007 and i hope not to see deserted Sukumvit, Silom, Pattaya, with all the neon signs turned off. :o

I tried to get a 60 tourist visa in Yangon on Monday November 13 and was refused!!!..."You have traveled enough, the visa is not available".

I remember the post of another member a few weeks ago who had the same experience in Phnom Penh.

When they said you “have traveled enough”, I wonder how much they consider enough. Based on the stamps in your passport, how long have you been in Thailand continuously – except for short trips to neighbouring countries to get a new visa – as a tourist?

---------------

Maestro

"You have traveled enough, the visa is not available".

I do appreciate a statement like that. Should go a step further and fire the person in charge, as no longer needed for issuing visa. Just save on the salary.

So where does one go for a 60 day visa now. I'm certainly hesitant to spend the time and money going to another neighboring country only to be refused again.

Our options are becoming quite limited it would seem. Malaysia seems to be the only place left. They're going to be overrun with applicants in January. If they stop issuing TVs, we'll start seeing a mass exodus from Thailand.

No way. Lots of places to get single entry Tourist Visas nearby via cheap airlines like Air Asia.

KL

Penang

Kotu Baru

Singapore

Hanoi

HCMC

Vientiane ( and there is another place in Laos but I forget the name)

Kumming China

Hong Kong

Kota Kinabalu

Just strike off your list these ones which have always been hostile toward issuing tourist visa's

Manilla, Myanmar, Cambodia

"You have traveled enough, the visa is not available".
I do appreciate a statement like that. Should go a step further and fire the person in charge, as no longer needed for issuing visa. Just save on the salary.

But he may, on the contrary, even receive a commendation.

When the new rules limiting the long-term stay based on visa-exempt entries were announced the Immigration Bureau made it clear that it was to encourage foreigners staying in Thailand for purposes other than tourism to get a visa corresponding to their real purpose of stay.

Nothing was said about tourist visas at the time but from reports by members of this forum it is now becoming increasingly clear that this declared effort of weeding out alleged false tourists is being extended to Thai consulates. While previously back-to-back tourist visas were apparently available for the asking, Thai consulates have obviously been instructed recently to examine applications for tourist visas more closely.

With new first-time applications for annual extension of permission to stay with an investment of 3 million Baht no longer possible, it is becoming rather difficult to stay in Thailand long-term for all those foreigners who are

– not holding a work permit

– younger than 50 years

– not married to a Thai

– but rich enough to live in Thailand long-term on their savings

---------------

Maestro

When the changes were announced months ago some officials did say that foreigners in future would need to apply for proper tourist visas "in their home countries".

JR Texas (51, USA, in China): Reply to Ned and Maestro and others: Some are talking about the possibility of people leaving. I left before Thaksin's removal (too bad they refuse to remove his ideas underpinning the new visa/business rules and regulations as well). I think many expats have already left and know of a few who have and others about to.

"You have traveled enough, the visa is not available". Is this Thailand's new tourism slogan? :o

From China, the events in Thailand look weird........the people making the visa/business rules and regulations must be, as one of my friends in Thailand likes to say, "DUMB AS ROCKS."

They are either crazy as loons, in which case they do not understand the negative economic impact of their decisions, or they are sane and smart, in which case I have no idea what they are up to.

Oh well...........I am going to just watch the events from the outside and hope for the best. I feel sorry for all of the expats in Thailand who are trying to find solutions. Maybe the answer is to leave......there are great places outside of Thailand.

And Maestro, you really know your stuff. You said, quote:

With new first-time applications for annual extension of permission to stay with an investment of 3 million Baht no longer possible, it is becoming rather difficult to stay in Thailand long-term for all those foreigners who are

– not holding a work permit

– younger than 50 years

– not married to a Thai

– but rich enough to live in Thailand long-term on their savings

I would add to your informative list expats 50 and over who cannot meet the new retirement rules because their pension is not large enough to reach 40K per month income (average pension of US citizen is just over US$1000 now). Previously, many could have put 400K in the bank and received a long term visa solution. The govt. knew this, and removed that option.

Of course, targeting those under 50 will eventually lead to an expat community of elderly old farts in need of social assistance. For those of you who think the "visa bar" will never reach your neck and that you are immune because you are "grandfathered" in, think again. They may decide you are no longer an asset (more of a social burden). At that point, I think it is more than probable that the grandfathered laws will be abrogated.

And what will you face look like when you get that news? Like this: :D Good luck!

I would add to your informative list expats 50 and over who cannot meet the new retirement rules because their pension is not large enough to reach 40K per month income (average pension of US citizen is just over US$1000 now). Previously, many could have put 400K in the bank and received a long term visa solution. The govt. knew this, and removed that option.

The rules were and are 65k income/800k bank deposit or a combination of the two for retirement extension of stay for those over age 50. The only change is the requirement that the 800k, if using that, is in the bank at least 3 months (to prevent extension day loans).

The rules were and are 65k income/800k bank deposit or a combination of the two for retirement extension of stay for those over age 50. The only change is the requirement that the 800k, if using that, is in the bank at least 3 months (to prevent extension day loans).

JR Texas (51, USA): Reply to Lopburi 3: Sorry......I did it again. Thanks for the correction. I keep saying retirement rules when I am talking about the marriage rule (I am thinking over 50 married and retired). The marriage rule was 400K in the bank....that is gone. Those people now must have an income of 40K per month (the combined income of both spouses must reach 40K per month). That means they now have to create a business or work for somebody else. The old system was easier. I think the govt. knew this and just decided to make life harder for people in this category. :o

I love Thailand, but I think it is difficult to know what is going to happen in the future. Thailand seems to change quickly and unpredictably in seemingly random directions. I am exploring other places to live in case I become affected by future regulation changes, or in case something else happens which I am unable to imagine at this point.

At the moment I am exploring the Philippines. It seems like one reasonable living possibility for me (just in case).

-q

I believe many would say the old system, where man had to support the wife, was harder. Now they can use either income and combine total income to make up the requirement.

JR Texas (51, USA): Reply to Lopburi 3: Many or some would say that the old system was harder. Many or some would say it was easier to put 400K in the bank than to come up with a way to show 40K per month, particularly if you are living in rural Thailand where most people don't make 5K per month. and where it is almost impossible to start a business that will allow you to earn 40K per month, especially when your Thai competition does not have to hire 4 Thais or jump through hoops.

The reasonable thing to do would have been to increase the options instead of removing what many or some would argue is a very good option: 400K in the bank (even better when it was 200K not long ago).

The real question is why it was removed when it had nothing to do with crime or visa runners. Can you say xenophobia? Can you say "social cleansing?" I hate that phrase, but it is one step above ethnic cleansing. Hopefully that will never be on their agenda. Year Zero In Thailand. :o

No way. Lots of places to get single entry Tourist Visas nearby via cheap airlines like Air Asia.

KL

Penang

Kotu Baru

Singapore

Hanoi

HCMC

Vientiane ( and there is another place in Laos but I forget the name)

Kumming China

Hong Kong

Kota Kinabalu

Just strike off your list these ones which have always been hostile toward issuing tourist visa's

Manilla, Myanmar, Cambodia

Your list hasn't changed my original assessment.

KL, Penang, Kotu Baru and Kota Kinabalu are ALL in Malaysia right? If one changes policy, they all will.

Laos has started to shut the door already by stamping passports with: "this could be your last". Others have been told they will limit TV issue.

Hong Kong and Singapore are very difficult embassies for obtaining TVs and especially if you have come from Thailand, apart from the fact that they are expensive destinations. How much will a perpetual tourist be willing to spend in order to obtain a 60 day TV?

You've added China as an option. Is it? Will it be economical to fly there in order to obtain a 60-day stay? How much will it cost to fly there to obtain a TV and will they continue to issue them?

The only 2 left on your list are 2 cities in Vietnam. I suspect they'll be going the same way as Cambodia and Burma and stop servicing foreigners. They have incentive to make it difficult for people to stay in Thailand as they are a viable expat alternative.

Malaysia is still looking like our only economical TV friendly destination.

Edited by tropo

I believe many would say the old system, where man had to support the wife, was harder. Now they can use either income and combine total income to make up the requirement.

JR Texas (51, USA): Reply to Lopburi 3: Many or some would say that the old system was harder. Many or some would say it was easier to put 400K in the bank than to come up with a way to show 40K per month, particularly if you are living in rural Thailand where most people don't make 5K per month. and where it is almost impossible to start a business that will allow you to earn 40K per month, especially when your Thai competition does not have to hire 4 Thais or jump through hoops.

The reasonable thing to do would have been to increase the options instead of removing what many or some would argue is a very good option: 400K in the bank (even better when it was 200K not long ago).

The real question is why it was removed when it had nothing to do with crime or visa runners. Can you say xenophobia? Can you say "social cleansing?" I hate that phrase, but it is one step above ethnic cleansing. Hopefully that will never be on their agenda. Year Zero In Thailand. :o

Since you are 51 you would still have the option of putting money in the bank. You just have to apply for the retirement extension and put 800K in the bank istead of 400K.

Sophon

If you don't press your luck a person should be able to spread their visa's around these dozen locations without problems. There are other consulates in China also. Making four trips a year with reasonable expenses plus 30 day extension fees to these locations would cost approx 60K baht annually .(including 4 30 day extension fees)

If you can't afford that or a 40K baht trip back to your home country once every 9 months (for a triple entry TV plus extensions) then maybe your hanging on by a thread here. My recommendations were for someone who meets reasonable Non Immigrant income and savings levels.. I was not recommending this for someone who is really poor. Sorry.

Sorry but there is no Thai consulate in Kota Kinabalu.

Yes sorry. No consulate in KK but short bus/boat/plane ride from KK to Thai consulate in Brunei which is fairly friendly. The easiest way from KK to Brunei is taking a ferry for 4 hours. I remember it being about 50 malaysian ringgits (approx 500 baht each way on ferry) Interesting place to visit also. Cheap flight from BKK on AirAsia to KK.

Brunei, Royal Thai Embassy

Lot 25251, Simpang 683

Jalan Tutong

Kampong Bunut

Bandar Seri Begawan BF 1320

Brunei Darussalam

Tel: (673 2) 653108 / 9, 653311 (Visa Section)

Fax: (673 2) 653032

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

We all can be worried and sorry about these strange new rules. However let us not forget about what the thai citizens can experience everyday at our dear old farang consulates in Bangkok.

We can be ashamed.

No welcome.No information. A lot of papers and then NO...!

What can we expect from Thailand :

We get what we deserve

Edited by SPALAX

We all can be worried and sorry about these strange new rules. However let us not forget about what the thai citizens can experience everyday at our dear old farang consulates in Bangkok.

We can be ashamed.

Yes, we make their life VERY difficult to get a visa for Europe or US for instance. Not only Thailand. It's true for all asian countries. Anyway.

No, there aren't "strange rules".

It's just a matter of common sense and logic : you can not live full time in a country as a "tourist", with tourism visas and/or visa exemptions (the famous 30 days stamp for Thailand).

Go in China, Europe, ask for a 30 or 60 days tourism visa. Then go back again, to ask for another one, then... repeat in order to live there full time. It will be refused.

If you need to stay for a long period of time, you'll need a proper visa : O or B for instance.

Bottom line : "tourism" = short time. With the new rule, you can be a "tourist" in Thailand for maximum 6 months per year (actually 3 months every 6 months).

But... we know that Thailand can be a strange country... it means at that point there is no certainty, from a pratical point of view. Thailand has dozen of laws, regulations, rules that are not enforced, or partially enforced, etc.

We need to wait end of december/begining january.

Just spent a lovely week in Singapore, what a delightful civilised country with friendly honest people. Arriving back in Thailand I felt a tightening in the chest because I knew all the rip-offs, over pricing, scams ahead of me (and that was just getting out of the airport).

It really does bewilder me why so many people are so keen to stay in this country. Especially if it is just to associate with the vermin that are commonly known as bar-girls.

My days in Thailand are certainly numbered. They are overplaying their hand big time.