Buses to Chiang Mai

farang1979

The term "VIP bus" is an oxymoron. If you were a VIP, you'd be flying there first class or business class. Going all the way from Bangkok to Chiang Mai by bus is never going to be anything less than hell on earth.

There are some nice coaches from the Bangkok northern terminal I think it's called. My wife calls them the good service buses,sorry I don't know the operator. Nicely appointed and a uniformed attendant collecting tickets,passing out food/drinks/snacks. Also two drivers taking shifts I think.

586747308546b644030603a08b66072a.jpge263f62ea1ef6f7392416268b69b717c.jpg1fef178ec5c58202100dc8ba57ced7a8.jpgf818925a77dbb088585719c654b0e68d.jpg

There are some nice coaches from the Bangkok northern terminal I think it's called. My wife calls them the good service buses,sorry I don't know the operator. Nicely appointed and a uniformed attendant collecting tickets,passing out food/drinks/snacks. Also two drivers taking shifts I think.

586747308546b644030603a08b66072a.jpge263f62ea1ef6f7392416268b69b717c.jpg1fef178ec5c58202100dc8ba57ced7a8.jpgf818925a77dbb088585719c654b0e68d.jpg

Thanks very much for the info and pics. Certainly looks very nice onboard. Did you buy a ticket there or in advance? If so how much did you pay approx for your ticket. Thanks again really useful.

I'm not great on the details,,the dumb foreign husband who's wife handles the particulars and then we make a final decision together. We usually go from bk to kk and it is less than b500. I do think I understand there are different carrier companies that go to specific destinations and she books in advance sometimes by calling the stations and other times at the 7/11(which amazes me a little)

Hopefully another poster may recognize the purple uniform and be able to tell you the operator.

I'm not great on the details,,the dumb foreign husband who's wife handles the particulars and then we make a final decision together. We usually go from bk to kk and it is less than b500. I do think I understand there are different carrier companies that go to specific destinations and she books in advance sometimes by calling the stations and other times at the 7/11(which amazes me a little)

Hopefully another poster may recognize the purple uniform and be able to tell you the operator.

Haha yes I too have been in that blissful dumb foreign partner position before, it certainly makes them a helluva lot smoother doesn't it. Their little methods of doing things astound me too. Would be great if I could get on something like this too. Cheers! Edited by farang1979

Just go to mochit bus terminal a view days in advance every bus company serving your route has a booth there with pics of the buses they are more or less all the same and a ticket should be shy of 800 bht going early secures a seat reservation of your choice but there are chances you can get a bus same day if you need- very popular are the over night connections as they arrive in the early morning in cm. this said the only reason why I choose the pain over a flight if I got lots of luggage with me. Always wanted to try the train but they are at least in the past horrible unreliable with a couple of them running of the tracks every year.

Edited by blueyeshk

Just go to mochit bus terminal a view days in advance every bus company serving your route has a booth there with pics of the buses they are more or less all the same and a ticket should be shy of 800 bht going early secures a seat reservation of your choice but there are chances you can get a bus same day if you need- very popular are the over night connections as they arrive in the early morning in cm.

thanks for the tip, I think I'll do that. Is 800 baht one way or return?

The company in the photo seems to be Nakornchai Air. They have VIP bus and also what they call First Class Bus with their top of the line service between Chiangmai and Bangkok. I used them a lot in the past before I had my own car.

They have their own bus terminal in Bangkok but most of their buses stop over in Morchit Terminal.

You can buy ticket and book your seat online or at the station well in advance.

http://www.nca.co.th/main_en.html

The term "VIP bus" is an oxymoron. If you were a VIP, you'd be flying there first class or business class. Going all the way from Bangkok to Chiang Mai by bus is never going to be anything less than hell on earth.

cheesy.gif

Very true,if i were the OP I'd seriously reconsider and go to Hualamphang (Bangkok's main train station) to book an overnight sleeper on the train!

At 800 Baht one way you can probably get a flight with Nok Air for around the same!

Not true. It's 3200 baht for a return ticket with Nok Air and only early morning flights a later ones are sold out. So double the price. Edited by farang1979

cheesy.gif

Very true,if i were the OP I'd seriously reconsider and go to Hualamphang (Bangkok's main train station) to book an overnight sleeper on the train!

And the sleeper is between 800 - 1400 baht each way for a/c bed etc. So, again, not comparable.

cheesy.gif

And the sleeper is between 800 - 1400 baht each way for a/c bed etc. So, again, not comparable.

You're arguing over 3-400 baht or less regarding your own safety and comfort,more quality tourism for Thailand then? whistling.gif

Maybe you can rent a bicycle for 500 Baht and cycle up there?

cheesy.gif

You're arguing over 3-400 baht or less regarding your own safety and comfort,more quality tourism for Thailand then? whistling.gif

I'm not arguing just looking for a good deal. And the train isn't the safest option. By far. Yeah you hire a unicycle and see you up there buddy.

cheesy.gif

I'm not arguing just looking for a good deal. And the train isn't the safest option. By far. Yeah you hire a unicycle and see you up there buddy.

If you think the overnight bus is the safest option I may have some bad news for you...whistling.gif

cheesy.gif

If you think the overnight bus is the safest option I may have some bad news for you...whistling.gif

Ok friend, take care.

OP Just ignore the other poster because there are many like him who are simply uninformed. He like many don't know the difference between the many small bus companies at Morchit terminal who indeed run deathtraps on wheels. You should avoid these double-decker buses because many of them have been in accidents and they salvage and reuse the chassis. Comparing these companies with NCA is like chalk and cheese. I have used NCA very regularly over the last 9 years without any complaint whatsoever.

If you copy and paste this link into Google Chrome you can then translate it and get a lot of information about the companythumbsup.gif

http://www.nca.co.th/main.html

Cheap flight with thai smile next week 1190 baht from suvarnabuhmi to chiang mai. 20kg free luggage. Flight time little bit more then 1hour.

Why take bus or train? Because you save 400 baht?

Edited by Crisu

Cheap flight with thai smile next week 1190 baht from suvarnabuhmi to chiang mai. 20kg free luggage. Flight time little bit more then 1hour.

Why take bus or train? Because you save 400 baht?

Why take bus or train?

Because if you are carrying liquids over a certain amount they take it off you at security and if you are carrying something fragile they make you sign a document to say they are not responsible for damage

on the bus or train it’s much easier to pay somebody a small amount to ensure your fragile item is taken care of properly

Bus or train is alot easier sometimes. No security gates,easier check-ins, easier access to the terminals,. If it's a night trip, find your seat; go to sleep and wake up in CM.

Edited by Rob13