Police corruption case - top commander speaks out

snoop1130

Police corruption case - top commander speaks out

post-249866-0-53433100-1468325749_thumb.

BANGKOK:-- A top police commander has spoken out after a case of bribery and corruption was revealed between two Bangkok police officers connected to the Bang Seu and Bang Rak stations.

The case concerns a payment of 700,000 baht that was made by an officer at Bang Seu called Charnchai Yensuk to a colleague to Bang Rak station called Chaninthat Ratchinotrai for favors in connection with an improvement in rank.

Charnchai claimed that Chaninthat said he could oil the wheels for him and the payment was for "buying presents for top police officers as a way of saying thank you". After paying and getting nothing in return Charnchai made a complaint to investigators.

The money has now been return to investigators but top brass are now involved.

Division two commander Charoen Srisalak said that he had interviewed the two officers. Chaninthat has no connections with top police officers and could not offer such a deal.

He said that the officer had committed a criminal offence and that an internal committee is being set up to decide what to do with him. Charnchai could also face disciplinary action for offering the money to him.

"This is bad for the image of the police," said commander Charoen. He added that if there were other victims of officer Chaninthat's behaviour then they should come forward and report the matter to investigators.

Charchai revealed that the 700,000 baht was paid in a clandestine rendezvous at a petrol station on the Viphawadee Rangsit Road earlier in the year.

Source: Thairath: http://www.thairath.co.th/content/661626

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-12

"Charnchai claimed that Chaninthat said he could oil the wheels for him and the payment was for "buying presents for top police officers as a way of saying thank you".

"After paying and getting nothing in return Charnchai made a complaint to investigators." cheesy.gifcheesy.gif cheesy.gif

"Chaninthat has no connections with top police officers and could not offer such a deal."

If he were to have connections, would it have turned out differently? whistling.gif

Seems to me, Chaninthat was following SOP. Why else would he complain to the Brass?

Time for a committee and a sub-committee.

In the meantime, "investigators" will hold on to that 700K...

both of the cops should be sacked, bribery is a big offense, they should be dismissed and lose the rights to their pension. Make the bastards get an honest job to earn an income

both of the cops should be sacked, bribery is a big offense, they should be dismissed and lose the rights to their pension. Make the bastards get an honest job to earn an income

A year ago there was a crackdown against corrupt policemen and anybody who offered them a bribe would go to jail or so.

But as we all know, crackdowns come and go easy.

If you want to go down this track, i suggest you sack the whole RTP force including the crash helmet muskateers !

Bribery is no big offense here, more a way of life and totally entrenched in the system.

Bribery is only a form of "sakdina" and expected in the Thai culture! The comment that the General had to refer to a committee because they "didn't know what to do about the perp." tells you everything about the system!

Why do people insist on judging the Thai system (feudal to the core) against Western values? It hasn't changed and it definately will not change in the future! smile.pngthumbsup.gifwhistling.gifwai.gif

So there is corruption in the Thai police force. Huh.

I thought all those people saying they wouldn't trust a cop here were just 'Thai bashers'. Turns out they were just realists.

There is more to this than just a crime. Something political happened. the buyer was maybe on the wrong side of the political divide.

Why would anyone else come forward when they have also committed an offence by offering the money in the first place?

it is common practice to buy a job in the police force, i assume it would be normal to buy your way up the food chain as well. think this guy just assumed he was buying his way up and reported he did not get what he paid for. doubt he even believes he was doing anything wrong, hence he reported it.

Look at it this way:

Chamchai spend years extorting money and demanding bribes from the public in order to raise 700,000 baht to buy himself a promotion which would have set him up as an Under-Boss receiving cuts and shares from his underlings while doing nothing himself....and then he was conned out of the money by a police colleague, shredding his dream - the poor man!

Of course everyone's upset as this took place in a relatively public place, there could even have been CCTV installed around the petrol station.

Didn't these idiots realise such transactions should be done behind very closed doors ? Such stupidity can spoil things for everyone else.

Policeman Charnchai made a complaint to police investigators about his failed attempt to bribe the police.

How did he ever passed the qualifying examination for the police?

Is probably not the brightest bulb.

I think we can guess that he more likely by-passed it than passed it. I wonder if the examination contains questions about the official procedures for bribery within the force?

The article gives the strong impression that it is theft that is being investigated here rather than bribery. No-one seems to be asking why a police officer is prepared to invest more than 5 years official salary in order to get a promotion, or indeed where the cash came from, it just seems to be accepted as standing operational procedure for which may get a slap on the wrist for as he made it public by bringing charges. I'm prepared to bet that he has been told by more than one superior officer that there are tried and tested unofficial ways of dealing with situations like this which don't damage the "reputation" of the RTP.

I'm not generally in favour of eroding the privacy of individuals, but I do think in Thailand there should be a section of the NACC with the power to scrutinise the financial affairs, bank accounts etc. of ANY person drawing a Government salary, including those at the very top.

Policeman Charnchai made a complaint to police investigators about his failed attempt to bribe the police.

How did he ever passed the qualifying examination for the police?

Is probably not the brightest bulb.

Probably paid a bribe...

"This is bad for the image of the police," said commander Charoen.

Umm... may I please correct the commander? What he should've said was, "This IS the image of the police."

How could you be so cruel? Next you'll be suggesting that running down and killing a policeman is ok, if you have good connections.