Funds for 'Retirement Visa'

Please settle an argument I have with a colleague, he was recently talking to an Agent who told him the funds for a 'Retirement Visa' can be in a UK Bank Account or your home country. The Agent told him Agents had been 'conning' people for years over this telling them the money had to be in a Thai Bank Account.

I know you can use Income from another source out with Thailand but nowhere have I seen it where your funds can be in your country of origin even with a letter from your Bank signed by Notary.

To the best of my Knowledge, money needs to be in Thailand, and 3 months prior to extension.

If you think about it, the whole idea of retirement visa extension is to bring money into Thailand. The 800k represents what the Thai gov considers you would spend in one year. not to mention getting balance of account letters etc.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

• Like 1

That's why I put it in inverted commas, the Visa stamp in my Passport is an Extension of Stay but says Retirement.

I am not disputing the name of the Visa only the funds required to obtain one.

Get a Visa or get an extension ? two different things. for the original visa funds can be outside Thailand, for extension money in Thailand.

• Like 1

Thanks for the clarification... yet again.. be prepare for the quirks of each immigration office and the person processing you.. some can be excellent and some can have you ... well now..isn't that cute..

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

------------------------------

correct

That's why I put it in inverted commas, the Visa stamp in my Passport is an Extension of Stay but says Retirement.

I am not disputing the name of the Visa only the funds required to obtain one.

That stamp in your passport does not say "visa", does it? If it doesn't, it is better not to call it a Visa stamp, because it can result in some serious confusion.

Thanks for the clarification... yet again.. be prepare for the quirks of each immigration office and the person processing you.. some can be excellent and some can have you ... well now..isn't that cute..

Quirks of each immigration office?

Stupid statement. Rules about money in the bank or monthly income are the same in every immigration office in Thailand.

what's going on? Thai Immigration rules are out there all over the place, in many languages, and very simple. and Thailand has quite a few consulate offices just about everywhere. why are "agents" involved? quite interested to know.

Edited by maewang99

what's going on? Thai Immigration rules are out there all over the place, in many languages, and very simple. and Thailand has quite a few consulate offices just about everywhere. why are "agents" involved? quite interested to know.

Agents are involved because some people don't have the confidence to deal with Immigration but the main reason is obvious which I don't want to state on TV although there are plenty of adverts what Agents can do for you.

• Like 1

You don't have a 'visa stamp' in your passport. You have a permit giving you permission to stay for 1 year that was granted on the basis of retirement (over 50).

I'd be interested in your thoughts on a different interpretation of this.

I had a Non-Immigrant O Visa issued in London. I obtained a 12 month extension of stay based on retirement.

I leave and re-enter Thailand quite frequently. When I re-enter, I have to complete an "Arrival Card" (TM6) which asks for a Visa Number. I am required to enter there the visa number of the Non-Imm O (that was issued about 6 months ago).

Does that not suggest that Immigration regard me as having a visa?

You don't have a 'visa stamp' in your passport. You have a permit giving you permission to stay for 1 year that was granted on the basis of retirement (over 50).

I had a Non-Immigrant O Visa issued in London. I obtained a 12 month extension of stay based on retirement.

I leave and re-enter Thailand quite frequently. When I re-enter, I have to complete an "Arrival Card" (TM6) which asks for a Visa Number. I am required to enter there the visa number of the Non-Imm O (that was issued about 6 months ago).

You put your re-entry permit number in the space for a visa number. Your visa expired months ago.

You put your re-entry permit number in the space for a visa number. Your visa expired months ago.

I left the space blank the first time I re-entered and was told by the IO that I should put the number from the Non-Imm O visa. I have followed that instruction on subsequent arrivals and have not had a problem.

(P.S. I would have a problem if I had to quote the number on the Re-entry Permit as I find it illegible!)

I left the space blank the first time I re-entered and was told by the IO that I should put the number from the Non-Imm O visa. I have followed that instruction on subsequent arrivals and have not had a problem.

(P.S. I would have a problem if I had to quote the number on the Re-entry Permit as I find it illegible!)

So what have the IO's been writing against "Visa Class" on the permission to stay stamps which they have placed in your passport since your visa expired? Is it "NON-RE" (which, I believe, stands for "Non-Immigrant Re-Entry") as they should have done? Or is it "NON-O"?

Edited by OJAS

So what have the IO's been writing against "Visa Class" on the permission to stay stamps which they have placed in your passport since your visa expired? Is it "NON-RE" (which, I believe, stands for "Non-Immigrant Re-Entry") as they should have done? Or is it "NON-O"?

NON-RE

The re-entry permit number is the correct number to put in the space for a visa number.

The re-entry permit will start with 4 or up to 6 numbers followed by a / with the year it was issued (for this year it would be 2559 or just 59).

• Like 1

The re-entry permit will start with 4 or up to 6 numbers followed by a / with the year it was issued (for this year it would be 2559 or just 59).

The Re-Entry Permit, in the space that says "number", simply has a 5 digit number (the second of which is illegible).

Above the Permit stamp, a series of numbers has been written: *****/**/59, none of which are the same as the number written in the space which says "number".

Visas are only required to gain entry. The type of visa (non 'O') determines the maximum amount of time an IO can give you permission to stay (90 days). Assuming you had a single entry visa the second you entered the country the visa is used and is redundant. If you were to lose the passport, with the original visa, immigration would not replace the visa, but you would still be allowed to stay and apply for future extensions of stay. The only relevance your original visa has is to evidence that you entered the country with a non immigrant visa which is a requirement to get an extension of stay based on retirement.

You should put the re-entry permit number. Regardless of what you put the IO will be looking in your passport for a valid visa or re-entry permit. A re-entry permit is required because you don't have a visa and so the IO knows to grant you permission to stay for the remainder or your existing permission to stay.

The Re-Entry Permit, in the space that says "number", simply has a 5 digit number (the second of which is illegible).

Above the Permit stamp, a series of numbers has been written: *****/**/59, none of which are the same as the number written in the space which says "number".

Below is an example of a re-entry permit:

Re-entry%2Bpermit%2Bnon-imm%2B1%2Bentry%

Source: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/813000-mandatory-to-transfer-extension-to-new-passport/#entry9245364

In this example, the re-entry permit number is 1354/2556

Below is an example of a re-entry permit:

Re-entry%2Bpermit%2Bnon-imm%2B1%2Bentry%

Source: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/813000-mandatory-to-transfer-extension-to-new-passport/#entry9245364

In this example, the re-entry permit number is 1354/2556

Thanks for posting the pic.

All I can say is the same as I said earlier - the number written into the number box on mine is a 5-digit number and above it (outside the rubber stamp) is a further number in this format xxxxx/yy/59.

The only other difference is that mine is for multiple entries and yours was for a single entry.