Secret chapter of 9/11 inquiry released after 13-year wait

rooster59

Secret chapter of 9/11 inquiry released after 13-year wait

DEB RIECHMANN, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — Newly declassified pages from a congressional report into 9/11 released Friday have reignited speculation that some of the hijackers had links to Saudis, including government officials — allegations that were never substantiated by later U.S. investigations into the terrorist attacks.

Congress released the last chapter of the congressional inquiry that has been kept under wraps for more than 13 years, stored in a secure room in the basement of the Capitol. Lawmakers and relatives of victims of the attacks, who believe that Saudi links to the attackers were not thoroughly investigated, campaigned for years to get the pages released.

The lightly redacted document names individuals who helped the hijackers get apartments, open bank accounts and connect with local mosques. Fifteen of the 19 hijackers were Saudi nationals and several were not fluent in English and had little experience living in the West.

Former Florida Sen. Bob Graham, the co-chairman of the congressional inquiry, who pushed hard for the last chapter of the inquiry's report to be released, believes the hijackers had an extensive Saudi support system while they were in the United States.

Saudi Arabia itself has urged the release of the chapter since 2002 so the kingdom could respond to any allegations.

Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubier told reporters Friday that his government welcomed the release of the 28 pages and said the documents should finally put to rest questions about Saudi Arabia's suspected role in the Sept. 11 terrorist attack.

"The surprise in the 28 pages is that there is no surprise," al-Jubier said.

The 9/11 Families and Victims welcomed the release, and said it confirmed what they've long known.

"Each of the claims the 9/11 families and victims has made against the kingdom of Saudi Arabia enjoys extensive support in the findings of a broad range of investigative documents authored by multiple U.S. intelligence agencies," the families said.

Terry Strada, National Chair for 9/11 Families United For Justice Against Terrorism, said: "There is so much more on the Saudi connection to 9/11 and this is the tip of the iceberg, but you had to get this first. It's the beginning, but I don't think it's the end."

Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., said in a statement that the documents "provide more than enough evidence to raise serious concerns."

The document mentions scores of names that the congressional inquiry believed deserved more investigation. They included:

—Omar al-Bayoumi, a Saudi national who helped two of the hijackers in California, was suspected of being a Saudi intelligence officer. The 9/11 Commission report found him to be an "unlikely candidate for clandestine involvement" with Islamic extremists. The new document says that according to FBI files, al-Bayoumi had "extensive contact with Saudi government establishments in the United States and received financial support from a Saudi company affiliated with the Saudi Ministry of Defense. ... That company reportedly had ties to Osama bin Laden and al-Qaida," which orchestrated the attacks.

—Osama Bassnan, who lived across the street from two of the hijackers in California. According to an FBI document, Bassnan told another individual that he met the hijackers through al-Bayoumi. Bassnan told an FBI asset that "he did more than al-Bayoumi did for the hijackers."

The office of the Director of National Intelligence on Friday also released part of a 2005 FBI-CIA memo that said "there is no information to indicate that either (Bayoumi) or (Bassnan) materially supported the hijackers wittingly, were intelligence officers of the Saudi government or provided material support for the 11 September attacks, contrary to media speculation."

The document also notes that U.S. and coalition forces retrieved the telephone book of Abu Zubaydah, the first high-profile al-Qaida terror suspect captured after the Sept. 11 attacks. The telephone book, obtained during his capture in Pakistan in March 2002, contained an unlisted number traced to ASPCOL Corp. in Aspen, Colorado, which the FBI field office in Denver determined "manages the affairs of the Colorado residence of Prince Bandar (bin Sultan)," who was the Saudi ambassador to the United States at the time.

The document, however, also stated that "CIA traces have revealed no 'direct' links between numbers found in Zubaydah's phone book and numbers in the United States."

Other individuals named in the document include Saleh al-Hussayen, a Saudi interior ministry official who stayed at the same hotel in Herndon, Virginia, as one of the hijackers. "While al-Hussayen claimed after Sept. 11 not to know the hijackers, FBI agents believed he was being deceptive. He was able to depart the United States despite FBI efforts to locate and re-interview him," the document said.

Former President George W. Bush classified the chapter to protect intelligence sources and methods, although he also probably did not want to upset U.S. relations with Saudi Arabia, a close U.S. ally.

Two years ago, President Barack Obama ordered a declassification review of the chapter. National Intelligence Director James Clapper conducted that declassification review and transmitted the document to Congress, which released the pages online on Friday.

Several investigations into 9/11 followed the congressional inquiry, which released its report — minus the secret chapter — in December 2002. The most well-known investigation was done by the 9/11 Commission, led by former Gov. Tom Kean, R-N.J., and former Rep. Lee Hamilton, D-Ind.

Kean and Hamilton said the 28 pages were based almost entirely on raw, unvetted material that came to the FBI. "The leads developed in 2002 and 2003 were checked out as thoroughly as possible," they said in a statement Friday.

The commission's 567-page report, released in July 2004, stated that it found "no evidence that the Saudi government as an institution or senior Saudi officials individually funded" al-Qaida.

Sen. Richard Burr, R-N.C., chairman of the Senate intelligence committee, and vice chairman Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., urged the public to read the results of other investigations by the CIA and FBI that "debunk" many of the allegations, and put conspiracy theories to rest.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-07-16

So now we know, but what will be done- invade Saudi and hang the culprits? NAH, nothing will ever be done as long as the black stuffs still flows.

Invade seems to be the US answer for just about anything. Allegedly it's how americans learn geography.

http://66.media.tumblr.com/10d68737fc3cf705d03cfcef8fc5d993/tumblr_nkmg5naC8E1qixt1to1_500.jpg

read the results of other investigations by the CIA and FBI that "debunk" many of the allegations, and put conspiracy theories to rest.

Phew! post-35489-0-48650100-1438590474.gif Thank goodness for that.

Now we can all rest easy. Night, night everybody. Sleep tight.

Heh...Crooked Hillary and her BFF Huma Abden (Saudi) are going to have a lot of explaining to do.

Need proof that Clinton knew of Saudi funded and still does fund terrorism?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/06/30/memo-shows-hillarys-state-department-thought-huma-connected-saudi-group-funding-terror/

http://fpif.org/wikileaks_saudi-financed_madrassas_more_widespread_in_pakistan_than_thought/

still surprises me that so many americans are not asking more questions. the saudi link appears to be very strong. the coincidence there was a drill going on the day of the attacks for airliners being hijacked seems hard to believe. building 7 fell down for no reason. thats the one that really gets me,

Regrettably, time appears to have blurred somewhat the memory of T.E.Lawrence and his dogged support of the Ibn Saud family and their ultimate regime. Britain, France and a host of other countries were all in agreement when it came to supporting the Saud family and the creation of Saudi Arabia, as it meant the decrease in influence of the Ottoman Empire. Saudi Arabia has become a fiefdom of immense wealth coupled with corruption par excellance, all supporting an ever increasing decadent family who rule with an iron fist and Sharia Law. Supporting various Islamist movements has always been the Saudi royal family's way of diverting attention from the home grown issues, that if allowed to ferment will one day bring about their downfall.

still surprises me that so many americans are not asking more questions. the saudi link appears to be very strong. the coincidence there was a drill going on the day of the attacks for airliners being hijacked seems hard to believe. building 7 fell down for no reason. thats the one that really gets me,

Methinks the Saudi's are just a diversion. You briefly touch on a question that most people would like an answer to why did building 7 collapse. Why was the skeleton steel and thermite moved out so fast to Chinese recyclers? Where are the remains of the planes that hit the Pentagon and crashed in Pennsylvania? Why was there a air force drill that day? What famous politicians relative had the cleaning contract for the buildings? There are so many more whys. Its like the JFK assassinations why were things done in such a big hurry. Its all part of history now and nobody has the gachonies to dig up the truth. Its like the Jack Nicholson movie when he is on the witness stand. "You can't handle the truth"

So now we know, but what will be done- invade Saudi and hang the culprits? NAH, nothing will ever be done as long as the black stuffs still flows.

Invade seems to be the US answer for just about anything. Allegedly it's how americans learn geography.

http://66.media.tumblr.com/10d68737fc3cf705d03cfcef8fc5d993/tumblr_nkmg5naC8E1qixt1to1_500.jpg

Haha, nice 1, love it !!

Heh...Crooked Hillary and her BFF Huma Abden (Saudi) are going to have a lot of explaining to do.

Need proof that Clinton knew of Saudi funded and still does fund terrorism?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/06/30/memo-shows-hillarys-state-department-thought-huma-connected-saudi-group-funding-terror/

http://fpif.org/wikileaks_saudi-financed_madrassas_more_widespread_in_pakistan_than_thought/

BFF?

Nonsensical rubbish. Just lies.

Did you read some other article? It appears to me that all the major accusations are refuted by the CIA or FBI.

The only real unanswered charge in this article is: “ . . . Saleh al-Hussayen, a Saudi interior ministry official who stayed at the same hotel in Herndon, Virginia, as one of the hijackers . . . was able to depart the United States despite FBI efforts to locate and re-interview him . . ."” Herndon is the site of D.C.'s Dulles International Airport--a lot of people stay there.

Who allowed al-Hussayen to leave? Sounds like it had to be an American official to me. So, if you want to hang someone on this evidence why not hang Bush, he's the one who classified this chapter, whose administration was in the position to allow al-Hussayen to leave, and whose family had dealings with bin Laden's family for years.

Oh, invading is only good when we have to save your butts from speaking German and get you out of the little cages the Japanese put you in?

Remember when Dick Cheney cited the intelligence that Mohammed Atta met with an agent of Saddam Hussein in Prague? Like lots of loose chatter it was gathered up in intelligence reports. It turned out to be false. We don't need proof of actual Saudi complicity in the 9/11 disaster to hold them responsible for it. It's their insane version of Islam that they are still propagating around the world that is responsible for the success of Al Qaeda, Isil, and pretty much most Sunni terrorism.

I managed to get through the PDF document and the only thing about it that jumps out at me is: We have got to treat our allies with the same levels of scrutiny as we do pretty much everyone else.

"One reason for the limited understanding is that it was only after 9/11 that the US government began to aggressively investigate this issue. The FBI apparently did not focus investigative resources on Saudi nationals in the US due to Saudi Arabia's status as an American ally."

http://intelligence.house.gov/sites/intelligence.house.gov/files/documents/declasspart4.pdf

The document smells of something covering up the truth. A plane load of Saudis were flown out of the country that night. Making this all known at this time really smells. Whenever we do something shady, we don't discuss it. If we do discuss it usually means something has changed that needs an explanation.

Edited by Pakboong

Nonsensical rubbish. Just lies.

Its humour - and the best humour always has an element of truth.

Did you read some other article? It appears to me that all the major accusations are refuted by the CIA or FBI.

The only real unanswered charge in this article is: “ . . . Saleh al-Hussayen, a Saudi interior ministry official who stayed at the same hotel in Herndon, Virginia, as one of the hijackers . . . was able to depart the United States despite FBI efforts to locate and re-interview him . . ."” Herndon is the site of D.C.'s Dulles International Airport--a lot of people stay there.

Who allowed al-Hussayen to leave? Sounds like it had to be an American official to me. So, if you want to hang someone on this evidence why not hang Bush, he's the one who classified this chapter, whose administration was in the position to allow al-Hussayen to leave, and whose family had dealings with bin Laden's family for years.

There are way too many unanswered oddities about 9/11.

There are some people that believe Bush was involved, but it seems unlikely to me that he was directly involved, as he just looked confused when advised of what had happened/was happening.

Oh, war criminal Bush, the reason why the US will never recognise the ICC in the Hague. So long as the cosy twins of the GOP and the Dems run USA inc nothing will ever be done about him.

Hopefully there is a special circle of hell where he can join Mao, Stalin, Blair, Erdogan and all those other monsters- if there isn't, there certainly should be.

3,000 people were murdered. To satisfy Public demand for revenge and to sate the hatred they whipped up Western Governments twisted facts to suit themselves and invaded Iraq and Afghanistan both resulting in Quagmires and horrific casualties on both sides. They in a continued so called war on terror Libya and Syria are also destabilised. Millions become refugees further destabilising Europe. Raising Xenophobia in those Nations and other Western Countries. In All Our Countries hate crimes are up. The problems of Our countries blame it on Immigrants. The answer of many lets retaliate and destroy more of the bas####ds. Instead of taking a step back and asking why? If there was hope in their Native Countries they would not leave! If Countries did not simply take them in and ghettoize them there would be less discontentment.

I guess like many of you I too get annoyed when Foreign people immigrate to my Country. Accept all that the immigration and Cultural information which is given to them. And then promptly begin behaving as they do in their Countries of origin complaining about the way that I do things.

That is a issue Governments need to address and not kau tau too.

And I am not talking in particular about Islamic people because they rarely affect me.

But other peoples who think it is ok to spit and clear their noses in front of me. Who get upset when told they may not hit their children.

I welcome all who come to my Homeland but like many of you I will not change my way of life for them. They either accept Our Nations ways or leave. And that also applies to me in Thailand.

3,000 people were murdered. To satisfy Public demand for revenge and to sate the hatred they whipped up Western Governments twisted facts to suit themselves and invaded Iraq and Afghanistan both resulting in Quagmires and horrific casualties on both sides. They in a continued so called war on terror Libya and Syria are also destabilised. Millions become refugees further destabilising Europe. Raising Xenophobia in those Nations and other Western Countries. In All Our Countries hate crimes are up. The problems of Our countries blame it on Immigrants. The answer of many lets retaliate and destroy more of the bas####ds. Instead of taking a step back and asking why? If there was hope in their Native Countries they would not leave! If Countries did not simply take them in and ghettoize them there would be less discontentment.

I guess like many of you I too get annoyed when Foreign people immigrate to my Country. Accept all that the immigration and Cultural information which is given to them. And then promptly begin behaving as they do in their Countries of origin complaining about the way that I do things.

And I am not talking in particular about Islamic people because they rarely affect me.

But other peoples who think it is ok to spit and clear their noses in front of me. Who get upset when told they may not hit their children.

I welcome all who come to my Homeland but like many of you I will not change my way of life for them. They either accept Our Nations ways or leave. And that also applies to me in Thailand.

Who get upset when told they may not hit their children.

So you think evangelicals should be thrown out of the USA?

http://www.sbts.edu/family/2013/12/01/training-children-for-their-good/

I agree entirely with the emboldened parts.

Agree with many parts of your post, see the bold text.