Catching traffic offenders in Chiang Mai

Ricky Doofus

I have been living in Chiang Mai for over a year now and am still amazed with the flagrant traffic violations that I see daily. I have an idea to take photos at notorious intersections to catch mainly red light jumpers. I will then provide those photos to the Royal Thai Police for appropriate enforcement. If anyone else is interest in joining let me know. Together we can make a difference and make Chiang Mai a safe place to be on the roads.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And topless tourists, feeding their kids in the park, don't forget them.

Thanks, but that has already been reported to the Royal Thai Police. That kind of behaviour is totally immoral and offensive to Christian norms. Whilst I am certainly no expert of Buddhism, I am sure it would be offensive to them too. I will be updating the forum on the progress of my complaint with the Royal Thai Police.

You could add your photographic project to include zebra crossing bullies.

But no one seems to care. It's a circus and needed a determined effort and education program to make the slightest dent.

But, this is Thailand and it's the way they run the country.

NJ's being metaphoric:

His 'seasonal burning' is (something-anything) occurring on a regular basis,

that for someone who's been around a long time, wouldn't even notice it enough to comment on...

Obviously he's having a bit of fun, so let's play along. His Crusading Superhero will need a moniker, and we could provide it. Suggestions?

I am very serious about this. The wife and I have almost had two very significant accidents in the last two weeks alone from people going through red lights. I am also taking this up with the US consulate in Chiang Mai this week, as I fell the safety of US citizens is in harms way if nothing has done. I have also written the Bangkok Post on this issue.

Another recent arrival ready to terraform Thailand. Next chapter will have something to do about seasonal burning.

What do you mean "seasonal burning"

Once per year the Thais burn Christians on a stake. You should have learned about that Iin your church's cultural assimilation program.

Another recent arrival ready to terraform Thailand. Next chapter will have something to do about seasonal burning.

Once per year the Thais burn Christians on a stake. You should have learned about that Iin your church's cultural assimilation program.

That is totally uncalled for and disrespecting my religion.

That is totally uncalled for and disrespecting my religion.

Yes it is, that's why we must all band together to stop the seasonal burnings, Edited by suzannegoh

OP as i already said mind your own business.

Seeing your comments it appears that you think you are better than Thais.

You are not, what the hell has the US embassy got to do with how Thais drive?

Nothing thats what, absolutely nothing.

Time to get stronger medication, before you mess up your health.

Wanting to interfere, butt out.

Thank you, but we will have to agree to disagree. I certainly do not thing I am better than Thai's, the wife is Thai.

I am concerned with the dangerous driving in Thailand. Do you know that Thailand has the second highest road toll in the world.

I will photo document all instances I see and report to the Royal Thai Police.

Also as an American we should be protected by our Government. I am raising the problems with road violations with the Consulate/embassy currently.

Thank you, but we will have to agree to disagree. I certainly do not thing I am better than Thai's, the wife is Thai.

I am concerned with the dangerous driving in Thailand. Do you know that Thailand has the second highest road toll in the world.

Also as an American we should be protected by our Government. I am raising the problems with road violations with the Consulate/embassy currently.

So are you suggesting that the American government should send police over to ensure the safety of all citizens, are you for real?

I suggest you keep your eyes open whilst out on the streets and learn that the whole world is not a safe place

OP you are concerned with the dangerous driving here.

I have much more reason to be concerned than you or most other people.

I was made paraplegic by a crazy Thai driver, Confined most of the day to my bed.

A short time 4/5 hours i can use my wheelchair.I do not spend my time worrying about what other people do.

So are you suggesting that the American government should send police over to ensure the safety of all citizens, are you for real?

I suggest you keep your eyes open whilst out on the streets and learn that the whole world is not a safe place

I take it you are not American.

We have the right to be protected in other countries.

I take it you are not American.

We have the right to be protected in other countries.

Er no you do not the sovereign status of a countries territory is inviolate, I suggest you calm the attitude down

and by the way I have dual nationality Swiss/US but don't call J Edgar Hoover every time someone in a foreign country annoys me

Edited by schweizer

Obviously he's having a bit of fun, so let's play along. His Crusading Superhero will need a moniker, and we could provide it. Suggestions?

I am very serious about this. The wife and I have almost had two very significant accidents in the last two weeks alone from people going through red lights. I am also taking this up with the US consulate in Chiang Mai this week, as I fell the safety of US citizens is in harms way if nothing has done. I have also written the Bangkok Post on this issue.

The red light means stop,so traffic should stop.

The green light means proceed if safe to do so.

It seems maybe you were a little hasty in proceeding,when it wasn't safe to do so.

Putting you partly to blame.

Do overseas US citz have access to a foreign warnings advice service? such as what Ozzies can view: www.smartraveller.gov.au

if a problem is recognisable at a national level, then it would make it to this sort of website, which does give traffic concerns advice too

or, get a bigger Insurance Policy