PM Prayut confident in ASEAN despite differences among member countries

webfact

pm.jpg

BANGKOK, 18 July 2016 (NNT) - The Prime Minister has expressed confidence in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations although he recognizes differences among member countries.

Prime Minister Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha said that as the world community awaits the reactions from all 10 ASEAN member countries at an upcoming 49th ASEAN Foreign Ministers Meeting regarding the international tribunal’s ruling on the South China Sea dispute, the truth is there are around four or five countries that do not agree with the rest of the group and all is working together to find the best way-out.

PM Prayut said that in order for all ASEAN member countries to share the same stance, there must be a study on this to find a single approach for all with vast diversity, while noting that the uniqueness of the East can never be compared with what is said in the West due to different contexts.

Nevertheless, Gen. Prayut said ASEAN has always listened and respected each country’s decision.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-07-18 footer_n.gif

there must be a study on this to find a single approach for all with vast diversity

Yes, like why did Canbodia get a billion USD grant from China to block ASEAN from supporting the Internatinal Court's ruling against China's claim of sovereignty over the South China Sea when Thailand just got rice and rubber trade deals.

Not only have Thailand got a hand full with China rejecting the international courts verdict and regardless of what or who you are as a member of ASEAN you must abide by international laws, not China's Laws , also Thailand neighbour Cambodia isn't all that wrapped up in Prayut's administration, referring recently to some neighbours as war mongers, even if they did get cheap milk..........................................coffee1.gif

ok, someone must know what this whole asean thing is about. for years my mates have been going on about how thailand is going to be awash with english speaking bargirls and english teachers once asean boarders are opened. i havent seen that, infact as far as i can see nothing has changed. can someone enlighten me?

ok, someone must know what this whole asean thing is about. for years my mates have been going on about how thailand is going to be awash with english speaking bargirls and english teachers once asean boarders are opened. i havent seen that, infact as far as i can see nothing has changed. can someone enlighten me?

Have you ever seen anything really change here? Lots of ideas, plans, wows, promises, crack downs etc.... Only thing is sure... After a few weeks, Its all Same, Same.

I wonder why? :-)

Edited by khunpa

Have you ever seen anything really change here? Lots of ideas, plans, wows, promises, crack downs etc.... Only thing is sure... After a few weeks, Its all Same, Same.

I wonder why? :-)

thailand certainly is very efficient at keeping foreigners out. i havent seen a single english speaking philipino bargirl and i doubt there are any more philipino teaches here.

Sounds as if you have the wrong mates, since they talk a lot, but actually not have the slightest idea what Asean is about.

Sounds as if you have the wrong mates, since they talk a lot, but actually not have the slightest idea what Asean is about.

well we do talk alot, helps pass the time and they are far more entertaining than my thai bird. do you know what asean is all about?

well we do talk alot, helps pass the time and they are far more entertaining than my thai bird. do you know what asean is all about?

I don't know all the details, as i have not much interest in it, but for sure it is not about exporting Philippine hookers.

A good start is http://asean.org/asean/about-asean/overview/

while noting that the uniqueness of the East can never be compared with what is said in the West due to different contexts."

Which means military coups in Thailand are okay due to the geography but people in the west no knowing about the situation here due to their ignorance.

Thais will never change - its not possible because they lack discipline...

The only one thing that ever actually changes Thailand - and they would never admit to it...

Its Westerners coming into Thailand... Its the endless International restaurants, 5 star hotels, cinemas screening western movies, western food chains, capitalism...
Tong lors club scene, the cake shops, the french food, the burgers, the italian restaurants, its all and always has been - Brought into the country, then the Thais usually copy it or steal it back...

in 12 long years - ive seen Thailand improve only from those Westerners living here

and places like soi cowboy has also changed due to Japanese coming here

and Nana changed due to its lack of westerners

and Bangkok changed due to its increase in Japanese cars due to car deals and car schemes.

Everything that changes is only ever from outside currencies, or differential tourists..
Thailand on the inside never changes - why? because they already think they are perfect
!

In other words, he and his regime, that must not be named, don't give a damn, and continue their domestic Thai-ness in their country, while the rest of ASEAN has moved on Internationally.

Edited by MaxLee