Convert UK driving licence to Thai?

Neeeko

If you have a full (not provisional),licence you can convert with minimal testing (eyesight and reaction ) they will give you a licence for motorcycle only if you UK licence has that entitlement if not you have to do the full test.

Motorcycle and car licenses are 2 physically separate pieces of plastic. Your can have one without the other.

Edited by johng
  • Like 2

If you have a full (not provisional),licence you can convert with minimal testing (eyesight and reaction ) they will give you a licence for motorcycle only if you UK licence has that entitlement if not you have to do the full test.

Motorcycle and car licenses are 2 physically separate pieces of plastic. Your can have one without the other.

Thanks for your reply! I have a full UK driving licence for cars. So does this mean I can take the minimal test to get a car licence?

Also, is there somewhere you recommend in Bangkok? (I live in Sukhumvit area)

That was not the case for me, I had a full UK driving licence and I had to do the full 2 days test (which is not difficult). I think the new ruling came in a few years ago.

• Like 1

That was not the case for me, I had a full UK driving licence and I had to do the full 2 days test (which is not difficult). I think the new ruling came in a few years ago.

But here something obviously went wrong.

My case is longer ago (2011) but so many reports that you still can convert to a Thai DL as described on the DLT site:

(just that the one year license is now a two year temporary license)

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3470:in-case-of-foreigner&catid=131:2011-09-08-02-09-23&Itemid=88

See point 4!

I have a full UK driving licence for cars. So does this mean I can take the minimal test to get a car licence?

Yes and of course only car license will be issued (not valid for motorcycle).

Edited by KhunBENQ

Never had a problem with my Australian MDL.

First time, I had to do an eye test, and reaction test. I was then given a Car License for 12 months. We later moved to Australia and when we came back 3 years later, I took both my (by then Expired) Thai MDL and my Aussie one into the department here in Chiang Mai and they gave me a Thai MDL which was valid for 5 years. All I had to do was the Eye Test and sit through a 30 minute Video on Driving in LOS.

Do you get to keep your British license as well? My wife is just converting her German license to a UK license, but the German license is then kept by the DVLA and sent back to Germany. We had planned to get our Thai licenses on our next trip back to Thailand (we have retirement visas) but cannot afford to give up our UK licenses. Thanks

Do you get to keep your British license as well? My wife is just converting her German license to a UK license, but the German license is then kept by the DVLA and sent back to Germany. We had planned to get our Thai licenses on our next trip back to Thailand (we have retirement visas) but cannot afford to give up our UK licenses. Thanks

Don't worry, they don't keep your license

Separate licences, Does that mean an extra fee for each? I have UK licences for motorbikes . cars, commercial vehicle up to 7.5t and (do not laugh) powered lawnmmowers. Would I have to obtain separate licences for each?

I have both bike and car licence ( i have british licence ) and done both at the same time just eye sight and reaction. I did it beside BTS MORCHIT department of transport oppisite chatuchak park (market).What you need to do first is go to British embassy and get letter stating who you are then you need to get a medical (can get from any hospitial ,just walk in )then go to morchit bts and get taxi ( 5 mins away for BTS station) takes 1 1/2 hours to get both valid for 2 years.

Worst bit is you have to make an appointment online for the embassy to get a letter ,( you need your licence ,passport and proof of address in thailand)

That happened to a friend of mine in Pattaya a couple of years ago because he didn't have the paper part of his UK licence with him.

When I did mine in Chonburi they were only interested in the IDP, didn't even look at my UK licence. I only did the eyesight and reaction tests, and no video. In and out in a couple of hours, most of the time was waiting for the licence to be issued.

There can be variations between the DLT offices.

A UK provisional Licence is ok my wife used hers to get her Thai Car Licence last year....

Separate licences, Does that mean an extra fee for each? I have UK licences for motorbikes . cars, commercial vehicle up to 7.5t and (do not laugh) powered lawnmmowers. Would I have to obtain separate licences for each?

You will get 2 DL's if you want one for a Thai car DL and one for a Thai motorbike DL.

You won't get a commercial Thai DL.

You don't need a DL for a lawnmower. biggrin.png

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

Thanks for your reply! I have a full UK driving licence for cars. So does this mean I can take the minimal test to get a car licence?

Also, is there somewhere you recommend in Bangkok? (I live in Sukhumvit area)

Simply go to chatujak dvl hop on the BTS a five minute walk.

• Like 1

When I did mine at Pattaya 8 years ago I had obtained an International Driving Permit from the post office in England and took that with me along with my UK driving licence. I had been informed that if I had an IDP I wouldn't need to do the extra tests, and that was the case. I only did the colour and reaction tests and was issued with both a Thai car and a bike licence, even though my UK licence only entitled me to drive a car. Mistake on their part I think.

Some DLT's will require an IDP, some DLT's will happy with just the UK licence.

• Like 1

A UK provisional Licence is ok my wife used hers to get her Thai Car Licence last year....

One experience does not mean it is ok.

And officially it is not UK, full licence is required.

Thats interesting, what province was that happen in ?

• Like 1

I have both bike and car licence ( i have british licence ) and done both at the same time just eye sight and reaction. I did it beside BTS MORCHIT department of transport oppisite chatuchak park (market).What you need to do first is go to British embassy and get letter stating who you are then you need to get a medical (can get from any hospitial ,just walk in )then go to morchit bts and get taxi ( 5 mins away for BTS station) takes 1 1/2 hours to get both valid for 2 years.

Worst bit is you have to make an appointment online for the embassy to get a letter ,( you need your licence ,passport and proof of address in thailand)

In stead of the embassy paper you can also use a workpermit, yellow housebook, ID card or certificate of residence from immigration.

• Like 2

I think this Licence convert to Full Thai Licence must be a Big City Thing, if it ever happens. Im 25 years here and never seen it happen.I tried it on first in Ubon, after listening to some smart arse down Soi 6 when i first arrived with a full U.S.one.All I got was a nice smile and YOU TAKE TEST, this has been the case for EVERY FERANG ive met over the years, from UBON RAT, Uttaradit, Suphanbury down to Krabi. Perhaps its like Imigration Rules,they vary to suit the Current Boss.coffee1.gif

Thats interesting, what province was that happen in ?

Dreamland Province.

• Like 1

As i said Hua Hin is a Big Tourist City, and i dont dispute your findings.You will not get this kind of deal in small province areas relatively void of newbies/ tourists, i would love to hear from one who has.!!. I stand by my post. You definitely dont get asked for an International Driving Permit, if you show one,thats your choise.... Ive recently walked an Australian new resident through the MOTOR VEHICLE, not Bike process, of which i havent a clue anywhere,and it was painless, he got his 2Year ting.

I think this Licence convert to Full Thai Licence must be a Big City Thing, if it ever happens. Im 25 years here and never seen it happen.I tried it on first in Ubon, after listening to some smart arse down Soi 6 when i first arrived with a full U.S.one.All I got was a nice smile and YOU TAKE TEST, this has been the case for EVERY FERANG ive met over the years, from UBON RAT, Uttaradit, Suphanbury down to Krabi. Perhaps its like Imigration Rules,they vary to suit the Current Boss.coffee1.gif

Must be just you.Prasat,no probs.

"To get an international license, you have to have two passport pictures or a digital passport sized picture of your face and shoulders front on, a copy of your passport and driver's license from your home country, and your fee..that is it,,easy to do also. They can be gotten in your home country easily also, or like I said you can get it right here..."

To get a IDP you need your country's licence. For a UK IDP UK licence is required, for Thai IDP Thai licence is required.

The by you mentioned 'International License which is a legal UN license for all countries of the UN and can be issued here in Thailand for all countries' is illegal.