Convert UK driving licence to Thai?

Neeeko

• 2 years later...

Any recent information regarding this?

My local DLT office first told me I couldn’t do the test as I wasn’t a resident even though I showed my work permit.

After a phone call they later said a WP was fine so could come in next day and do the eye sight and reaction tests.

Went in the next day and they changed to say I needed to go to Bangkok to have my license verified at the UK embassy.

Now they are saying I have to book the full 2-day test online, which can’t be booked as it needs a Thai ID. They then advised booking under my Thai partners name. Once booked came back to say this can’t be done under her name.

Tried to book the test again by visiting the office again, they said I can only book online.

The same office was able to issue a license to a friend last month, but they have denied any farang coming in to visit.

Edited by clarky cat

9 minutes ago, clarky cat said:

just an update to the above post ^

I went to another transport office in the same province with the exact same documentation and walked out with a thai car license within 1 hour

and your experience is extremely common in Thailand. Just a matter of luck to find the right office for whatever. Banks included.

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

and your experience is extremely common in Thailand. Just a matter of luck to find the right office for whatever. Banks included.

Hi..What documents did you have and which office did you go? Thanks for your help..

2 minutes ago, claffey said:

Hi..What documents did you have and which office did you go? Thanks for your help..

My circumstance is very different than yours.

I am in Thailand on a retirement extension of stay, no WP. I am an American with a valid California drivers license.  All I needed to do was go to immigration and get a letter saying I had the proper visa to get a drivers license along with a letter stating my Thailand address. And of course my passport and California license.

I did not take any test of any type, but this is not the normal experience. Walked out with my drivers license in one hour. Office was in Pranburi south of Hua Hin.

Getting my motorcycle license (which I did not have) required me to take the 50 question computer test for automobiles:clap2:and ride a scooter around the parking lot. 

And as always I plan on three days :shock1: or three "tries" to get done what would take 2 hours in the States. Really helps in remaining calm.